No Cross Realm LFG tool please!

MUFanatic

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the feature that actually turned other games into mindlessly grinding time dumpers.

Cross realm in any form (WZs or FlashPoints or Operations) is destroying the community of a server,

Having a proper community in a sercer enchances the PvP experience and protects you from grouping in PvE with people that you dont want to group with (either skill wise or attitude wise).

Bottom line is : DONT take the Cross Realm road to counter population Issues,

This will destroy the game and mark its future FOR EVER (just check how WoW ended)

If you want to solve population issues then consider taking the SERVER MERGE alternative.

let the game roll for a month more and then identify the most problematic servers,close those server and transfer all their accounts to ONE server.

Help evolve communities DONT DESTROY THEM,

PS. Server specific forums will help alot aswell ;)

If you like what you read above try just to Quote this instead of just making a reply, this will deliver the Message to Bioware as a community opinion and not just a personal thinking.

Thanks

Most gamers aren't interested in the community, they aren't on long enough to build relationships and therefore just want to be able to dive in with a quick flashpoint or two before logging off.

Also, in WoW the dungeon finder is extremely popular. Sure it gets a bad rep on the forums and such, but the players use it a LOT. Personally I think the idea is a superb one, though Blizzard implemented it badly.

Most gamers aren't interested in the community, they aren't on long enough to build relationships and therefore just want to be able to dive in with a quick flashpoint or two before logging off.

.....then why would you pay a monthly fee to play a mmorpg?

Does your server have an in-game inquisition meeting to discuss the trolls, ninjas, and griefers?

LOL I had this mental image of a council of robe-wearing avis with gavels and powdered wigs.

Edited by Caelrie

It's interesting to note the differences between some of the randomly obnoxious comments made by the pro-LFD crowd versus the more pleasant tone of the anti-LFD folks.

It's very telling.

The 5-6 posters here arguing their beliefs are not representative of some kind of binary division like " All pro-LFD people are jerks!" "All anti-LFD are pleasant people!".

The 5-6 posters here arguing their beliefs are not representative of some kind of binary division like " All pro-LFD people are jerks!" "All anti-LFD are pleasant people!".

Funny that you have inserted the word "All" into my statement. My comment referred to the posts in this thread and nothing more. You've reshaped my words to create a straw-man in order to beat it down.

Edited by Depredator

Funny that you have inserted the word "All" into my statement. My comment referred to the posts in this thread and nothing more. You've reshaped my words to create a straw-man in order to beat it down.

Like another poster above stated:

Confirmation bias in action

No, he's right. It was your statement at the end "it's very telling" that did it. You clearly meant it as a commentary on vast groups of people.

Nobody's going to force you to use it. You need to spend less time worrying about how someone else plays a game.

I'm coming down on the anti cross server stance, why - because if it follows the WoW model then people will demand not only an LFG but rewards for actually doing them (satchel of goods or a commendation of some sort) which will then effectively prevent people who do not want to use this system from finding groups.

I initially benefited from the LFG tool in WoW but I saw where it led. It is not really the path I want to go again.

I'm all in favour of LFG server wide - with no specific rewards - as a tool for those who want to use it but I prefer the knowledge that I can easily identify those that I may wish not to group with and prevent it in the future.

I'm coming down on the anti cross server stance, why - because if it follows the WoW model then people will demand not only an LFG but rewards for actually doing them (satchel of goods or a commendation of some sort) which will then effectively prevent people who do not want to use this system from finding groups.

There's one simple reason what you wrote is untrue... There's nothing stopping you from making a group with your friends and then queuing into the LFG tool as a group. Best of both worlds. You get to group only with your friends AND you get the rewards for using the queue tool.

I initially benefited from the LFG tool in WoW but I saw where it led. It is not really the path I want to go again.

I'm all in favour of LFG server wide - with no specific rewards - as a tool for those who want to use it but I prefer the knowledge that I can easily identify those that I may wish not to group with and prevent it in the future.

The problem with a "LFG server wide" tool is that some low population servers will still be low population and they're stuck with hideously long wait times or not running flashpoints at all.

The rewards WoW offered were just that, incentives to get you to run it. Never did they actually stop you from typing /invite playerx 4 times and running to the entrance of the dungeon.

You didn't explain what it "did" to WoW and other mmorpgs.

Keep in mind whatever you "saw" is anecdotal at best and not representative of statistical fact.

A fact would be like:

"After the LFD/LFR was implemented Blizzard saw a dramatic increase in the amount of people running raids and dungeons."

Which is a good thing for a game that is trying to maintain customers and grow.

Its not a good thing when they have to dumdown the content to accommodate the people useing the tool.

Have a look at at patch 4.3 and see what looking for group and looking for raid have done to that game.

Also its not a fact having LFG/LFR in a mmorpg is a good thing in trying to maintain customers and grow if wow or rift are anything to go by its the opposite. How many subs have both of them lost this year?

Personally I do not think there needs to be a LFG system at all, same server or cross, for PvE. PvP cross server I don't have much of a problem with.

Since all the flashpoints are already in the most populated areas of the game, the fleets, if you want to do a flashpoint just pop into general and say so. OMG we have to communicate in a MMO!

So far as the community being destroyed, I wouldn't say that. It does HURT it however. I played WoW for a number of years and everyone in groups do one of three things, generally of course. 1.) Don't communicate at ALL. Nothing. 2.) Take a crazy about of crap and declare everyone as worse than they are. Pass blame. ect. 3.) Troll. Of course why do anything else if you can just leave the group and find another one. After all, what are the chances of getting those people again?

If you get into a group, however you found it, that has people in there that you like you can add them to your friends list and run more flashpoints with them. Maybe they are in a guild and give you an invite. Now you have MORE people to group with. Who knows, you going get into a OP spot as well.

As for the argument that people are not able to do flashpoints that is wrong. People that want to do the content will do it. I have been doing them without a problem. Yes it takes more effort and you have to talk to people. Yes you also have to take a break from questing to go to the fleet.

I see a lot of hate for people playing the game as a single player game and thus not contributing to the community, and that is a valid point. However, if you add in a LFG system wouldn't that be the same thing? After all you are joining ALONE. You don't have to TALK. So if playing the game like a single player game hurts the community....wouldn't a LFG tool that fosters the same kind of behavior?

Again this is just what I have experienced from my own in game experiences, and not only from SWToR or WoW. So take from it what you will.

I have to agree with you.

I noticed the recent blog about the UI options that BW is going to give us. That leaves me wondering if perhaps they will have some sort of other type of option besides that which folks are arguing over regarding the LFD tool.

Honestly, I didn't forsee BW making such a brilliant move with the ability flash, so it's possible that there is an equally brilliant solution to the LFD issue that we may not have considered yet.

Edited by Depredator

Its not a good thing when they have to dumdown the content to accommodate the people useing the tool.

Have a look at at patch 4.3 and see what looking for group and looking for raid have done to that game.

Also its not a fact having LFG/LFR in a mmorpg is a good thing in trying to maintain customers and grow if wow or rift are anything to go by its the opposite. How many subs have both of them lost this year?

4.3 allowed more players to run dungeon and raid content. There are still hardmodes there for people who want the challenge. I doubt the amount of people who defeated Deathwing 10/25 on hardmode is anywhere near the amount of people who did it via the raid finder.

We don't know the exact reason why WoW and Rift lost subs besides conjecture on our parts.

Edited by HoneyBoy

WoW didn't dumb down the content. They made a new category of raids designed to be PUGged. Nothing changed on the normal or heroic modes.

We don't know the exact reason why WoW and Rift lost subs besides conjecture on our parts.

That's true.

I'm sure that the upcoming Panda expansion is not helping WoW's numbers either. Who can say for sure what has caused their decline?

For me, I was just sick of it. The game lost its "epic" feel for some reason.