Samaul

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it comes down to this:

The upsides are real and tangible.

The downsides are largely perceived and harder to define. Yes, people have less patience in groups because they aren't forced to stay anymore. I think the good far outweighs the bad.

This is why every modern mmo has one.

Edited by Gohlar

They also reduce queue times for regular players, especially if the server has a severe faction imbalance.

Now you've gone off the deep end. Leveling services are against the TOS. Bioware does not support them or turn a blind eye towards them. Unfortunately, Bioware can't do much to eliminate them. Every MMO in existence has tried to get rid of them and failed. The real culprit and people you should be lambasting are those that purchase the leveling services. They are the real problem, not Bioware or x-server queues.

Off the deep end? How much do you think these drones are paid? What do you think their working conditions are?

Do a simple calculation. Look at how much they charge for their services. Now look at the number of hours required to complete the service offered. Those power leveling services are not paying minimum wage.

Dont be naive.

Edited by Samaul

Off the deep end? How much do you think these drones are paid? What do you think their working conditions are?

Dont be naive.

Actually you're wrong I was a drone in China and I had benefits and a 401k.

not really

Edited by Gohlar

Actually you're wrong I was a drone in China and I had benefits and a 401k.

not really

I wish it was funny.

In reality, most power leveling services use one human to control multiple bot characters. X-server queues are a huge boon to power leveling services, allowing them to run multiple shifts around the clock of bots with their human drone controllers. I assure you, the humans who are controlling those characters are not having fun playing the game.

So... don't add a feature that would improve quality of life for many players on servers that don't have active communities... because of human rights issues.

Okay then.

I actually care about the effect that what I do in an MMO has on others. I do not want my MMO gaming experience to be provided at the expense of others.

Edited by Samaul

I actually care about the effect that what I do in an MMO has on others. I do not want my MMO gaming experience to be provided at the expense of others.

Why stop at MMOs?

Disown every product and reject all services provided to you that improve your quality of life by major corporations today, as I'm sure outsourcing and exploitation isn't a foreign concept for them either. Make sure that the electronics you own, the clothing you own, or that car you drive were all manufactured and sold by happy, healthy workers.

The only legitimate complaint I see here is the bad behavior and the lack of accountability by removing closed communities. Then again, there isn't much of a community on some servers, and there are plenty of people that LOVE to **** talk each other constantly. That's all I ever see in WZs and General chat.

Edited by Acanti

Why stop at MMOs?

Disown every product and reject all services provided to you that improve your quality of life by major corporations today, as I'm sure outsourcing and exploitation isn't a foreign concept for them either. Make sure that the electronics you own, the clothing you own, or that car you drive were all manufactured and sold by happy, healthy workers.

I drive a ford and buy my computers from an american computer company. I dont own a lot of electronics other than computers.

Current boxed warzones are already anonymous. World PvP is absent because of the way the planets are designed.

... I play on one of the higher pop servers, and each imp (Yes, IMP! And republic too!) are ones I recognize. And about half of them are ones I see daily.

And I'm sure others have experienced it as well.

I agree with the OP, but I've always been against x-server anything. I don't mind a LFG system, but not an x-server one. I'm on a Standard pvp server and the community here is great. I feel sorry for those who haven't experienced a good server community before, it really is the highlight of my playtime. Then again, I'm on the type of server where the Pub's know the Imps and the Imps know the Pubs - we all have a certain degree of respect for each other and our Illum is always roaring at night. I have a feeling this will change when they introduce x-server queues.

People will become anonymous, it'll be harder to reach out to the community and I'll have to deal with douchebags and bots from other servers. It wouldn't matter if I met a really cool person from The Fatman, I won't ever see them again. It wouldn't matter if I'm a complete douchebag to someone in a Warzone, I won't ever see them again. Sigh. I know they're going to add this change anyways, I just hope my server community doesn't drift apart for the duration of my stay here. Once it does, I'll probably move on to something else. These few months will become the Vanilla of SWTOR, and once it's gone there is no going back. It's not a big deal for those who don't have good experiences, but it's awful for people like me who do.

And to be honest, I was a drifter in WoW. I transferred from server to server, trying to find a server like I have now in SWTOR. Turns out there isn't one. Only guilds with their small communities in them. Anonymous guilds nonetheless, unless they have a ranked position. Just a dime a dozen.

I'm happy for those who play on dead servers. This will be a positive change for them because I'm sure if I had to wait in an hour queue, I'd be upset too. Then again, their server will still be dead, empty and alone once they leave the Warzone. Your server will be nothing more than a tag next to your anonymous name. There's also talk about Server "Representation" and "pride" - but do you really want to be represented by some of the people on your server? Hah, I think I'd dislike being known as "They must be bad because they're from Bondar Crystal."

Sorry for the long rant. I know I'm fighting an inevitable change, I'm just hoping it'll turn out OKAY and I'm just being overly pessimistic. :)

And PS: There isn't anything anyone can say to me that will change my mind about this. So don't waste your time.

Edited by Valeena

Cross-server gameplay will ruin my server. My server's community is working correctly. If cross-servers come in, I'll definately be more inclined to unsub. The people on my server have been working, yes working, to make it a better place for pvpers since launch.

Cross-server gameplay might be good for PVE servers though. Rolling on a pve server, you're probably going to have WZ insufficiencies, and Bioware you don't want the PVE server to collapse because pvpers refuse to play there. So you make cross-server WZs. But only for PVE servers.

When WZs get cleaned up and we can have premade 8v8s, many pvpers will want to play on both PVP servers and the PVE servers that allow for cross-servered WZs, cause the pvp gameplay will be slightly different. This means that pvpers will boost PVE servers that otherwise wouldn't have them. Its a win for all.

But if all servers become cross-servered, it'll be a disgusting mess that destroys communities and leads to unsubscriptions of players who are respectful and helpful of their fellow players even as they are killing thier characters.

-edit- Maybe have some pvp servers in the cross pools. And some PVE servers be same server only. Players can reroll where they want to go, or even better you could offer character transfers when it happens.

Cross-server gameplay will ruin my server. My server's community is working correctly. If cross-servers come in, I'll definately be more inclined to unsub. The people on my server have been working, yes working, to make it a better place for pvpers since launch.

But if all servers become cross-servered, it'll be a disgusting mess that destroys communities and leads to unsubscriptions of players who are respectful and helpful of their fellow players even as they are killing thier characters.

Yep, pretty much. My server worked pretty hard on balancing it and building itself up. It required me, and several other guilds to drop our Battlemaster 50's to re-roll Republic. Even though Imps out number us, we still go out to Illum every night and put up a fight. I honestly don't think we could have done it if we all didn't get to know each other through Warzones. Make's me question if our efforts were wasted. (Oh, and I play on a Standard populated server, not a heavy or full one).

Your making Assumptions on what MIGHT happen, IF its implemented (which it will be). To be honest, if they made LFD Same-Server priority, more than likely you would still see the same people you know and love/hate. There would just be a few others who you wouldn't know and that could be rectified by either having all the PVP Servers, including the Rp-PvP servers in the same pool, and same with PvE/Rp-PvE. Edited by Naethion

I believe your correct. It does tend to damage communities. However.

I logged on today from 11 - 12 noon on a saturday. There was exactly 7 Imps and 6 Repubs queueing up for WZ's.

Imps had a 4 man premade, that we could not dent.

I exited game, Logged on to my account. And unsubscribed. Lack of action will drive many away from the game, in droves.

So yes, If this WAS a PvP game, with a healthy population i would be all for no X-realm WZ's. But it is not, therefor IMO it needs X-server WZ's.

Ahahaha, I was just going about my business reading the thread when the OP comes out of nowhere decrying slave labor by companies that employ farmers and trying to use that as an excuse for opposing X-Server PvP. I just..I just couldn't stop laughing. Get with the times, bro..X-Server PvP will do much more good to this game than harm. Community comes from your guild. I see the same blokes in Huttball and quite frankly I'd love to see some new people. Adapt or die. Edited by rlhaas

I rather buy my sneakers made by asian children for 80 euros than made by western adults for 120 euros. But i can be hyppocrate and say that i care like majority does unless it costs us something.

If anything solo quests and guilds is destroying the community. People will alienate themselves from the rest of the population on the server by joining guilds and only playing with guild mates.

I can't tell whether you're being facetious. Do you really think that guilds destroy community because people stop pugging?

I tend to agree that x-server destroys community & leads to worse behavior, but guilds? Seriously?

I used to be one of the anti cross server people. Then I realized the communities of MMO's will never be like they were 8 years ago. The internet has turned everyone into trolls, and a cross server LFG system isn't going to change anything.

Really? In this one month in swtor, I've met and befriended more people than what I did playing a year in wow. There was no community in wow. I didn't meet any people outside of my guild, ever.

I have hopes for the community. If they start with cross-server services, however, I am going to crawl back into an isolated guild, not communicating with anyone outside of it.

Here's why it's a GOOD IDEA:

Currently, the Empire players outnumber the Republic players across the board. Now, some servers may have a closer (but not totally equal) balance; but that's only a small few. Implementing a cross-server LFD/G tool will help Republic players by:

1. Queue'ing for the WZ they want.
  2. Queue's "popping faster" (instead of having to wait forever it seems, at times)
  3. Creating a "sense" of balance on population

I normally don't like the idea of Cross-Server tools like this; HOWEVER, with the imbalance of population, I can see where it would be useful.

To say you don't want them to introduce this, just because you don't want your chat window filled with troll is arrogant on your part. It will always be filled with troll and spam, among other things, it's a MMO; don't like it, turn off your chat window.

Edited by Aeris_Kane

I believe your correct. It does tend to damage communities. However.

I logged on today from 11 - 12 noon on a saturday. There was exactly 7 Imps and 6 Repubs queueing up for WZ's.

Imps had a 4 man premade, that we could not dent.

I exited game, Logged on to my account. And unsubscribed. Lack of action will drive many away from the game, in droves.

So yes, If this WAS a PvP game, with a healthy population i would be all for no X-realm WZ's. But it is not, therefor IMO it needs X-server WZ's.

That's more a server merge solution than xserver warzones. Servers need a healthy population.

I prefer non xserver warzones (don't care about PvE), just because atleast you can remember the names of people who play well, and have some more fun fighting over premades you know instead of premade_03_server09.

To say you don't want them to introduce this, just because you don't want your chat window filled with troll is arrogant on your part. It will always be filled with troll and spam, among other things, it's a MMO; don't like it, turn off your chat window.

I don't want it because it removes any sense of server comunity, and the game becomes diablo 2, join a server, play your warzone/pve instance, go back to the lobby (republic / imperial fleet).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.