Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

64 bit client

Facadas

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's still a pretty good chunk of the population on 32-bit systems.

Cutting off XP 32-bit is a really good idea, because it's been unsupported for over a year. Continuing to use XP to go around the Internet is a really good way to get hacked and let everyone steal all your passwords.

Cannot really be bothered to read though 21 pages of a thread - going to assume most posts are the usual sheep "My too" and "yes, do this".

Has anybody explained exactly what they think will be gained from a 64bit client? Because, as has been discussed in other threads on this topic, it would bring next to no performance increase.

It would be a complete waste of development time and then the ongoing hassle of having two clients to support for absolutely nothing in return.

So - to the "me too" and "yer, we need this" posters - care to explain what you think it will bring to the game?

• 1 month later...
As pointed out previously in this thread, the Hero engine version that SWTOR is built on, only supports DX9 and does not support a 64 bit version. Also the last post was in September, please let this thread die now.

As pointed out previously in this thread, the Hero engine version that SWTOR is built on, only supports DX9 and does not support a 64 bit version. Also the last post was in September, please let this thread die now.

That would be nice, except DX12 is being released, which I'd also like to add is best used by windows 8/8.1 & 10 users. If no one's paid attention, Microsoft is pushing pretty heavily on 10 which has barely any compatibility with anything run prior to Vista.... The Hero engine was antiquated when the game Released and is best used by XP users.... which are beginning to dwindle fyi. It's beyond past time for an update.

Has anybody explained exactly what they think will be gained from a 64bit client? Because, as has been discussed in other threads on this topic, it would bring next to no performance increase.

It would be a complete waste of development time and then the ongoing hassle of having two clients to support for absolutely nothing in return.

You're right, there is no point in a 64-bit version of any program, ever. It will never do anything for anyone, ever. The whole idea of 64-bit is pointless and should just be thrown away.

Since YOU say it will bring no performance increase, I guess that's it, it is settled.

This wont happen for 2 reasons:

lack of knowledge

way too many of the users are using low spec. laptops

you know, adding support for x64 doesnt mean x32 client will be deleted :D

there are many games that have both 32/64 client and they work "together" (blizz games/guild wars/dota...)

Edited by sknitro

• 1 month later...

bump!

This is stupid, why haven't they made a 64 bit client yet? seriously its nearly 2016 wake the hell up! :mad: stop adding more buggy broken items and work on optimizing performance for those who have an actual gaming rig.

Edited by DanBlaster

need 64 bit client, new engine, dx 12 support, more content , operation and warzone

lol this post is up from early 2012, ahahahah

totally agree, I find it laughable that my pc i made 7 years ago can run this game more stable compare to my new 1,000 dollar computer rig i just made :mad:

totally agree, I find it laughable that my pc i made 7 years ago can run this game more stable compare to my new 1,000 dollar computer rig i just made :mad:

Did you make sure you have Direct X 9.0C installed?

Most people forget about it. Just google Direct X {version} End User Runtimes, only download from Microsoft but you can use either the full redistributable package or the web installer whichever your system will let you use (some people have issues installing with one or the other but usually not both). In SWTOR's particular case, most people are missing DX9.0C since they often don't have it installed with their OS, but this problem doesn't just affect SWTOR.

Really you should install full versions of whatever Direct X your games use. Some use multiple versions of Direct X, an example I cited elsewhere is Cities Skylines which uses libraries from DX 9, 10 and 11, but since it only runs with Steam, Steam always makes sure those libraries are installed. That might not always happen when you install programs through disc or downloads outside of Steam (or maybe Origin too but never really downloaded a game from there where I didn't have full DX installed already).

Steam always has the most current DX files patched with their games, but other games you install yourself usually don't have anything updated past when their installer was originally compiled. Just save yourself the headache and install the latest version of each branch of DX, 9, 10, 11 and now 12 before you install your games. Sure it might seem like a pain in the butt but companies aren't going to put anything more on the installer than they have to, which might mess with other games when you install those, fooling the installer into thinking you have something you don't.

Edited by Draqsko

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.