Another DOWNTIME tonight

daMarek

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You do know you are wrong with the release date of wow. It was not in 1967.

World of Warcraft (WoW) is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) by Blizzard Entertainment. It is the fourth released game set in the fantasy Warcraft universe, which was first introduced by Warcraft: Orcs & Humans in 1994.

/facepalm

You do realise 99% uptime is industry standard for providing paid server services?

you do realize that 99% of statistics posted on forums are opinions right?

and pretty sure that "standard" you are referring to is not limited to mmos which generally require much more downtime than other paid server services .. i.e. internet

therefore, by pulling out a random statistic from a completely random source is diluted

Edited by Tickletime

And you do realize that you are paying for (minus normal Tuesday 8 hour server down time) a mere $0.02/hour for thousands of hours of entertainment? You also realize that the game isn't even 2 months old right? Again, you do realize that the PTR is less than a month old right? Also, you realize that Bioware and EA aren't going to throw on a few more million people to their staff just so they can patch and service customers at any time of the day not to mention that it wouldn't speed up the process.

You do realize? Wait, you probably don't.

So in this case industry standards don't apply and I'm stupid for thinking they should. Gotcha.

Remind me to use that line in my next service review meeting.

>> People that complain about this kind of issues have no place in a starting MMO. Cancel your sub and come back in a share of months.

Actually, maybe I will, Or maybe I won't Until then stop being an arrogant ******e.

Subscription cancelled as of today. I can't stand it any more

I really need to get on a different work schedule... looks like I'm hitting the hay when I get home from work tonight.

Also I wish they weren't fixing Ilum as of right now I feel its working as intended, though I guess people get outraged when they don't get their loots by abusing a terrible system.

Edited by Savish

It all has to do with the fact that they pull the plug at 2am CST. If you live on the US east coast or central time zone ( and sleep before 2 am) its considered a non issue. Patches are a part of mmos and so is downtime, but none of the mmos ive played in the past years have had a 2am CST maintance window, its usually around 4-6am PST.

Agreed - the problem I truly have with these downtimes is that I typically want to play until 2Am (I'm an adult, so don't tell me when I should go to bed). I play in PST and so I would love it if they would just postpone the server outage 2 little hours.

However, let's just look at the playerbase - the population distribution by timezone is:

Eastern: 47%

Central: 32.9%

Mountain: 5.4%

Pacific: 14.1%

Hawaii/Alaska: 0.6%

The typical patch takes 4 hours (2AM CST to 6AM CST)

Interestingly enough, if you look at server population graphs, the server population peaks around 8PM (local to that user) and has a min at 5:30/6:00AM (local to that user). However, the population doesn't cross below the average number of active users until AFTER 2AM local time, and doesn't climb above this average until 10AM. What does this mean? Shifting the time by 2 hours (to 4AM) would actually, mathematically, impact fewer players. So... the next question is "it needs to be convenient for BioWare!"

Hunh? I don't know about you, but I'd rather come in early at 4AM (2 hours early for an early bird) than stay late until 2AM. Especially considering that I cannot kickoff the patch at 2AM and go home.

So, why not just make everyone happy and move the server outage to 4AM CST?

Problem solved. Then I won't care how often you are patching.

I did my first Ilum lst night. I timed my rise to 50 perfectly. Patches are progress. This Company responds. They even had a poll immediately on the UI cooldown change.

Some of you are 13 and that's cool and all but you miss the point that they are responding rapidly. Try being a hunter and having to wait for an x PAC for your problems to be fixed only to get a new set of problems. Not for me. Not perfect but these guys are working to try and earn my subscription. In the short time they have done a lot of really positive things. But, I think my patience and perspective on time is different.

Coding is not = making a Big Mac. Which is what most people's patience indicates that they expect.

I did my first Ilum lst night. I timed my rise to 50 perfectly. Patches are progress. This Company responds. They even had a poll immediately on the UI cooldown change.

Some of you are 13 and that's cool and all but you miss the point that they are responding rapidly. Try being a hunter and having to wait for an x PAC for your problems to be fixed only to get a new set of problems. Not for me. Not perfect but these guys are working to try and earn my subscription. In the short time they have done a lot of really positive things. But, I think my patience and perspective on time is different.

Coding is not = making a Big Mac. Which is what most people's patience indicates that they expect.

Actually the poll occurred more than 24 hours and 2000+ posts after people reported getting ill from the new UI changes and a week + after they were warned by testers that there would be exactly this problem. As for whether the Illum changes warrant another shutdown and patch.. dunno, don't care. can't play the game anyway with the current UI they're going to get around to changing someday.

It's as if people have never experienced patching in an MMO before :confused:

Actually I haven't. Playing guild wars since beta, never for one second were their servers offline. They patch in the background and you simply restart your client.

I knew the patch was coming so I don't care. I'm glad they're fixing Ilum. The problem is, developers/patch testers, have no *********** clue what they're doing. They need to do better testing. It's ridiculous the type of mistakes they're making in the weekly patches. It's proving to be quite amateur.

The problem is they keep bringing down the servers for patches that don't actually fix the problem the patch is intended to fix. I am not saying they haven't made any progress, but if they utilized the PTR properly most of these patches could be fewer and deliver properly when they hit. Example of this is how many times was the patch supposed to fix the pvp daily from registering a win properly?

I posted this on another thread that was closed to consolidate threads:

They need more participation on the test server.

Are you about to copy chars to the test server? If not, I don't see how there will ever be enough ppl there testing. If that is allowed they would have alot more users there able to test the new patch content and find these issues before it's pushed live.

I know alot of people will yell, "I pay to play not to test." Why this is true, there are also alot of people that like to test new content before it goes live.

Have YOU tried to copy chars to the test server? Clearly not. It can't be done. Have fun leveling your test server character to 50.

When you make a patch that breaks features and you have to issue another patch, ONCE,I can forgive.

Twice begins to sound like incompetence.

Thrice, and I want to look at your diploma.

Perhaps you feel it's acceptable to catalog "any action" as a response, but I would strongly prefer responses that FIX problems without causing additional ones, and that someone actually test things before release.

Name any game --- not just MMO, GAME -- that had to repatch a patch at an emergency level 3 times in under 3 weeks. Go on, I'll wait.

No matter what Bioware does, or how much testing they have, they cannot 100% simulate what will happen when a patch goes live.

No matter how frustrated you, the player, is about the patches....I'm willing to bet the people actually working on them are far more frustrated.

I'm pretty sure Bioware doesn't want to keep patching their patches, either.

Edited by Skoobie