No sprint or leap while carrying ball in Hutball...

Nitewish

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make the ball carrier unable to use any ability besides Throw the Huttball. Also make them get a full resolve bar and be unable to be pulled by allies or enemies. Slows and roots would still work.

Then you'd have a huttball game where one side having a bunch of sprints, leaps, and pulls wouldn't dominate the other side.

They just need to have the fire pits snare you if you try to run through it while its lit, would fix the issue with Sorcs / Sages just burst running threw all the fire and scoring in 2 seconds flat.. Also would slow down well geared tanks to.. most can just walk through the fire and only have it take about 1/4 of their health away...

The jump skill I don't mind so much as it can only be used against stupid players who stand on edge of their goal line allowing someone to jump up..

OP is pointless.

But I approve your post. Always thought it was somewhat stupid that some people can just ignore the fire. Going through fire should be a sacrifice, not completely ignored.

Again though, OP is... Ummm... QQ about core abilities that actually makes this game fun?

Make the ball carrier unable to use any ability besides Throw the Huttball. Also make them get a full resolve bar and be unable to be pulled by allies or enemies. Slows and roots would still work.

Then you'd have a huttball game where one side having a bunch of sprints, leaps, and pulls wouldn't dominate the other side.

That would be suckball. I love when people complain about every skill someone has they do not. It is so telling. All classes have benefits in huttball. If you covet another class so much for their huttball skills feel free to play them.

Most of the time when people make these complaints they have never played the classes and use the skills and understand the trade offs

• 10 months later...

Knight and Marauder can leep to you before you select them so you dont know if he's a jedi shadow or a jedi sprinter or if he can leap to you. You dont always have the time and dont always know what to do until he's on you.

But that's not the point.

What he's saying is : You can leap to other players if you dont have the ball, but when you have the ball in hands and you leap, you would lose the ball like the shadow when he turn invisible, or you couldn't leap/sprint when you have the ball. It would be fair for everyone and make the game more strategic.

Dont tell me "If there's no sprint or leap, there should be no pulls, pushes or knockbacks", its not the same thing. First : The cooldowns isn't the same, leap and sprint have faster cooldown then pull, push or any stunt.

Second : The distance of leap/sprint is longer then most stunt skills.

Third : Leap and sprint are player skills. Pull, push and stunts are enemies skills.

If you are stunt or push, its not unfair to the other players who carry the ball, but for me its unfair that the one who carry the ball can sprint in front of all other players, too far to reach by anyone and cant be stop until he score.

With the ball in hands, everyone is slower but the knight and marauder can leap on you, after 15 sec leap on someone else, leap/sprint the fire pit (when other class who cant are forced to wait until the fire stop) and score in 30 sec.

Imps always have more team mixed of Sith Marauder and Sith sorcerer compared to the Rep. You cant stop a full team like this, they take the ball one after another and score in 30 sec each.

Ive played a scoundrel and a guardian in Huttball.

There is no way my scoundrel is better in that WZ then the guardian. The only advantage is that I can stealth, which means I am just out of doing anything important for 50% of the game.

But don't change Huttball, I just wish Assassins couldn't pull you into a fire trap from 30m away, that is probably the most infuriating thing in pvp.

The only fair thing is to do all or nothing. Hutball is just another adaptation of FragBall, a popular UT mod around 10 - 15 years ago. In that mod, the player still remained access to all weaponry and shielding as well.

When it was adapted to the Bombing Run gameplay style in UT2k3, the carrier was only able to carry the ball.

This change was made for the exact reason as described here, to stop the solo-minded gameplay of single-handedly racing the way to the line but rather create the importance of teamplay.

Other adaptations to this concept have even applied weighted balls, in other words, the carrier is not only limited by being able to do nothing, but also is barely able to actually move with the actual ball. In other words, teamplay is an absolute must.

Yet other adaptations have thrown in bomb detonation triggers, which if the carrier passes, he gets blown to pieces. So rather the carrier is required to pass the ball over it to another player.

Everybody has their own preference to things. Huttball was designed the way it is, however for future maps for example they could play around with it in such a fashion that for example spots where now the fire is, are unpassable with the ball as carrier without instant death. That way you can't sprint over it, you can't leap over it, but you actually would need a teammate to pass to. Obviously nothing prevents you from sprinting to just in front of it, rapidly passing it, and still scoring.

Yes let's make sprints not work with the hutball because it's not fair to people without sprint, then lets make heals not work on the ball carrier because it's not fair to people without heals, then lets make guards not work on the carrier because they're not fair to people who can't guard, oh and knockdowns unfair too.....heck let's just make it so the ball carrier can't do anything except walk really slow so there's absolutely no strategy involved?

Just to show the idiocy of this argument...you want the abilities of all classes to work while carrying the ball, then why not stealth? My Op and a Sin both lose their best protection while carrying. I don't agree with the idea of losing burst or leap and I don't think it would be good to allow stealth; but something has to be done. But maybe it isn't just Huttball. I would rather see a stratisfied WZ que (0-500 Exp; 501-1000; 1001-2000) or some other creative solution to help balance the playing field. I see three Juggy/Sents or Sorc/Sages; well I know the strategy and realize that I'm losing that Huttball no big deal. What I hate is getting into a WZ with a team almost completely EWH equipped and most of my team is in PvE gear with less than 500 Exp.

huttball is the most amazing warzone/battleground/pvp-minigame ive seen in any game.. is simply soooo much fun! charges and pulls and movement abilities in general is a part of its core, its excatly what makes it so great imo.. take out movementabilities from huttball and it will be just another very normal, plain pvp match.

Allowing sprint or leap while carrying the ball is only loop-siding the game.

Can't help to think the game was designed more around positioning and passing over just some classes being able to impact the outcome in a big way.

Or am I wrong?

do us a favor, stop posting!

Knight and Marauder can leep to you before you select them so you dont know if he's a jedi shadow or a jedi sprinter or if he can leap to you. You dont always have the time and dont always know what to do until he's on you.

But that's not the point.

What he's saying is : You can leap to other players if you dont have the ball, but when you have the ball in hands and you leap, you would lose the ball like the shadow when he turn invisible, or you couldn't leap/sprint when you have the ball. It would be fair for everyone and make the game more strategic.

Dont tell me "If there's no sprint or leap, there should be no pulls, pushes or knockbacks", its not the same thing. First : The cooldowns isn't the same, leap and sprint have faster cooldown then pull, push or any stunt.

Second : The distance of leap/sprint is longer then most stunt skills.

Third : Leap and sprint are player skills. Pull, push and stunts are enemies skills.

If you are stunt or push, its not unfair to the other players who carry the ball, but for me its unfair that the one who carry the ball can sprint in front of all other players, too far to reach by anyone and cant be stop until he score.

With the ball in hands, everyone is slower but the knight and marauder can leap on you, after 15 sec leap on someone else, leap/sprint the fire pit (when other class who cant are forced to wait until the fire stop) and score in 30 sec.

Imps always have more team mixed of Sith Marauder and Sith sorcerer compared to the Rep. You cant stop a full team like this, they take the ball one after another and score in 30 sec each.

Thank you for rezing a thread nearly a year old to state your piece and have all the angst after this post directed at the possibly long gone OP.