Poll: Would You Play This Game if it Wasn't Star Wars?

Gonewild

yes.

i love the voice acting, sense of immersion, companion system, story driven arcs, I don't care the game is not sandbox, their is room for all types of games in my world. I know improvements can be made, and many will come, but "As is" i have gotten fair value and enjoy myself. I have been itching for a good Sci Fi game for some time, it's been since Anarchy online since i have enjoyed a Sci Fi MMO.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This game's IP is Star Wars. If the IP were removed, the game and it's inherent mechanics would still exist. Would you play the game if it were filled with content unrelated to Star Wars.

I mean, your face palming is impressive, but very unnecessary in this thread. Save it for the iQuitters.

You design the mechanics around the game that you had intent it for. Not the other way round.

E.g. you dressed up for an 'theme' occasion, i.e. wedding/ funeral/ date/ prom... not becuz you dressed up nicely, and suddenly u decide you wanted to go for a prom.

The mechanics/ systems would totally be different had if it's intent for "Dragon Age/ Mass Effect" and others.

no. I aint playin it now even though its SW.

stop lying, you're playing the damn game, admit it. Who the hell trolls boards of games they don't play?

I think they game is pretty good. I have some complaints but nothing is perfect. Seems like the WOW kids are the most unhappy, maybe becuase this isn't wow

Edited by Sconnoll

I sure wouldn't stick around. It does too little to set itself apart from others MMORPG's that do certain mechanics better. But I would definately play this game for the story content, just like I'm doing now. Just nothing long-term.

No way I would play it if it was not SW, Just think if Trion was able to make this game... things would be a lot different :eek:

I probably wouldn't have touched it with a 10 foot clown pole if it was made by Trion. While Rift was technically a good game, it had the worst leveling experience I've ever had the pleasure of trying. It was so dull, bland and down right annoying that I never even reached max level.

Now if it was BioWare story but Trion support ...

As for the question in the OP. Probably. I liked the only 2 Star Wars movies ever made (Episodes 4 and 5. Yes, only 2 movies were made. I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALALLALALALA) but I don't play this game for the IP. I enjoy it. Yes, it's missing features but meh. I'll see where this game goes.

Edited by MrPigCS

You design the mechanics around the game that you had intent it for. Not the other way round.

E.g. you dressed up for an 'theme' occasion, i.e. wedding/ funeral/ date/ prom... not becuz you dressed up nicely, and suddenly u decide you wanted to go for a prom.

The mechanics/ systems would totally be different had if it's intent for "Dragon Age/ Mass Effect" and others.

Perhaps in theory, however, BW purchased the HERO engine and utilized it for SWTOR- the company did not build the game engine around the existing IP. This game engine was originally designed for an MMO called 'Hero's Journey' if I remember correctly.

Lets tweak your clothing analogy for a moment to fit my original question, 'You purchased a North Face fleece jacket. Would you have purchased it without the name branding, or with a different branding? For arguments sake, lets say Columbia.

Perhaps in theory, however, BW purchased the HERO engine and utilized it for SWTOR- the company did not build the game engine around the existing IP. This game engine was originally designed for an MMO called 'Hero's Journey' if I remember correctly.

Lets tweak your clothing analogy for a moment to fit my original question, 'You purchased a North Face fleece jacket. Would you have purchased it without the name branding, or with a different branding? For arguments sake, lets say Columbia.

Actually, BW pretty much took Hero and reqorked entirely around the IP.

Yes I would. Actually would prefer a fantasy setting over a sci-fi one. If the game was Dragon Age like, I would be pretty happy. I do love Star Wars and I'm pretty happy with the game overall. I'm just more comfortable in a more traditional fantasy setting if that makes any sense.

If it were just a space MMO, probably not.

If it was a Bioware MMO... I might.

Then again, if it was a Bioware MMO that wasn't Star Wars, it'd probably be Mass Effect, in which case, hell yes.

Mass Effect Online could be interesting.

Actually, BW pretty much took Hero and reqorked entirely around the IP.

Gotchya. So some aspects of the Hero engine were changed to suit SWTOR. I wonder how different the game would have been had BW just designed their own game engine specifically for SWTOR?

The Hero engine definitely has a WoW feel to it.

Nope

Only reason I'm really even here still is because of some friends I made from WoW. If bioware doesn't get its **** together, that won't be enough to keep me around. Just treating the game as a single player story game outside of raids. Figure I have another month before I'm gone at this rate.

If it were just a space MMO, probably not.

If it was a Bioware MMO... I might.

Then again, if it was a Bioware MMO that wasn't Star Wars, it'd probably be Mass Effect, in which case, hell yes.

Yeah I agree, I feel like Bioware is really restricted on mature content in this game because it's Star Wars, if it would have been a Dragon Age or Mass Effect MMO it would be a lot more edgier and darker over all which would of made the stories and characters a lot more interesting...

Edited by Monoth

Yeah I agree, I feel like Bioware is really restricted on mature content in this game because it's Star Wars, if it would have been a Dragon Age or Mass Effect MMO it would be a lot more edgier and darker over all which would of made the stories a lot more interesting...

You make a very good point. I trust that BW will push the envelope with this game as far as they can in the meantime.

I think you've just answer it yourself. They purchased the HERO engine.

E.g. 'investment'... if they want to make sure their investment is well-spend, and could gain back the most, of course, they'll put it in the game/ brand that has the most 'potential' to do that.

1) Why would buy a fleece jacket? -- Yes, becuz you need it.

2) Why would buy a "North Face" fleece jacket? -- Yes, becuz you "want" (the brand), and you can afford it.

3) Would you still buy a fleece jacket if it's not 'north face' ? -- YES, becuz you still "need" it.

And TBH, I would purchase Columbia over 'North Face'. I'm living in Nebraska, and with Omni-heat techonlogy in Columbia's Jacket, I'm sweating out in the snow after a block of walking.

And I'd like to point out that, different people values different aspect of a game. Some says content, some says pvp, while some would even says, 'the ease of levelling' in this game particularly, which I would like to point out that is a good thing, becuz it makes completing all classes storyline possible; unlike in some other MMOs, which makes you stick it out to 'end-game' with just one class.

I think you've just answer it yourself. They purchased the HERO engine.

E.g. 'investment'... if they want to make sure their investment is well-spend, and could gain back the most, of course, they'll put it in the game/ brand that has the most 'potential' to do that.

1) Why would buy a fleece jacket? -- Yes, becuz you need it.

2) Why would buy a "North Face" fleece jacket? -- Yes, becuz you "want" (the brand), and you can afford it.

3) Would you still buy a fleece jacket if it's not 'north face' ? -- YES, becuz you still "need" it.

And TBH, I would purchase Columbia over 'North Face'. I'm living in Nebraska, and with Omni-heat techonlogy in Columbia's Jacket, I'm sweating out in the snow after a block of walking.

And I'd like to point out that, different people values different aspect of a game. Some says content, some says pvp, while some would even says, 'the ease of levelling' in this game particularly, which I would like to point out that is a good thing, becuz it makes completing all classes storyline possible; unlike in some other MMOs, which makes you stick it out to 'end-game' with just one class.

They purchased an existing game engine and allocated it to the SW IP to it. So, extracting Star Wars from the Hero Engine (in it's current form), would you still play this game?

I'm not sure. At this point I would, I enjoy the game itself for the mechanics and gameplay. Not sure that I would have gotten into it in the first place though without the Star Wars title.

I endured a few months of STO simply because of the Star Trek title, which in reflection was enjoyable for what it was.

Yes I would be playing this game if it wasn't Star Wars. I'm playing for the class story lines and funny dialogue, and they'd still be there. And, also, if not Star Wars, Bioware would have made it Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, or whatever brand new setting and I would still play it for the plot and storylines.

The game has mechanics like WoW but the story and the voice delivery are better. It's just their implementation of the game mechanics that is worse. And, between Bioware fixing their game mechanics and UI, vs. Blizzard adding in full-voice dialogue and lore / plots that make sense and aren't LoL, I think Bioware will fix their game sooner than WoW can.

Blizzard is adding kung-fu pandas, FFS. Go be a panda, lol.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.