Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, your doubts are not actual numbers. This game is doing FAR better than all the haters here are stating in their posts. Your doubts do not discount that.

Depends on peoples expectations what is fail. Myself would have thought that they sell this game lot more in january than they did and that hype would have lasted longer than to christmas.

They count people that has bought the game in last 30 days in to the "paying" 1.7 mil subs. I doubt they all will pay after its over.

No, not all will continue to pay. However, considering that the game needed 500 000 subs to break even, and considering that this particular scenario is now no longer even being considered, well...

You can do the deductive reasoning here.

Are the naysayers going to keep spouting presumptuous drivel? Or would any of you like to challenge my calculations?

Your calculations are based on an unconfirmed number, backed by nothing. Not explained, and not detailed.

I can calculate just about anything, but its baseless unless the numbers I use for my initial calculation are backed.

Why is it so hard to understand that the numbers don't match what's observed.

Continue to come up with proofs, but I don't see much of a population out there. And I'm not in the minority when I say this.

I'm not spouting failure. I just want some people around.

So you spin it both ways. Either everyone is in the first free month and hasn't quit yet, or the sub numbers are capped and isn't selling any more.

Lol, you people will spin anything. I'll give you this. You're well trained. But you need to realize you lost the first battle and regroup. Try again. Sorry.

This applies equally well to your side of the fence, the sky is falling crowd who turns everything into the End Of Bioware.

Please don't preach objectivity until you're ready to practice it yourself.

So you spin it both ways. Either everyone is in the first free month and hasn't quit yet, or the sub numbers are capped and isn't selling any more.

Lol, you people will spin anything. I'll give you this. You're well trained. But you need to realize you lost the first battle and regroup. Try again. Sorry.

well listen this just came out today , I am sure they have called an emergency meeting to discuss there new talking points , most of the stuff today is just them improvising so you cant blame them , its kinda funny 2+2 = 4, some of this guys would make you think 2+2=3 crazy .

its going to be a long day for you guys in Irvine, California

As a chartered accountant (Canadian CPA equivalent) that works in financial reporting.

Whenever a company releases information into the public domain such as subscribers etc. it has to be supportable by hard data and has been vetted through several layers of review. The penalties for releasing misleading or false information into the public domain is severe, thus public companies (especially one as large as EA) has a lot to lose by slipping up.

HOWEVER, a company will only choose to release information that will give them the best light possible (unless its compulsory by law). Any information that you're getting has already been spun, but you can rest assured that the spun information would be supportable by hard data.

You also typically have to take spun data with a grain of salt and try and read between the lines as others have done (i.e. the 1.7 figure is composed of free first monthers and credit card accounts)

Nope, read the report if you haven't already. 1.7 million active as of today, Feb 1, 2012.

correct.

Here's the direct line from that report.

Star Wars®: The Old Republic has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month.

If they were counting until Dec. 31st, they couldn't say in little over one month now could they?

No...No they couldn't.

Nope, read the report if you haven't already. 1.7 million active as of today, Feb 1, 2012.

Seems like the stock exchange responses quickly:

EA shares, which have traded in a range of $16.23 to $26.13 over the past year, closed Wednesday's regular trading session at $18.44, down 14 cents. The stock is currently losing 44 cents or 2.39% in after hours trading

This applies equally well to your side of the fence, the sky is falling crowd who turns everything into the End Of Bioware.

Please don't preach objectivity until you're ready to practice it yourself.

I never preached objectivity, but remember: you can have your own opinion, but not your own facts.

Operation Tortanic, which was quite clearly launched by enemies of this game and is makers, is today being confronted with some uncomfortable facts. It is trying to have its "own" facts, which it cannot possibly be allowed to have. It should lick its wounds and come back with a better gameplan.

No, not all will continue to pay. However, considering that the game needed 500 000 subs to break even, and considering that this particular scenario is now no longer even being considered, well...

You can do the deductive reasoning here.

Dont give that 500k to break even crap, its for years with that number. 500k subs will be enough to pay for the 7.5 million costs per month they got.

Why does it bother so many people that the game is doing past one million. Do they WANT the game to fail? they are posting so obviously they have subscribed past the free period.

They're paid shills just doing their job. :p

They are rather amusing at times.

Why does it bother so many people that the game is doing past one million. Do they WANT the game to fail? they are posting so obviously they have subscribed past the free period.

This games perceived success now makes Bioware a hate magnet. They're just like Blizzard now, it's cool to hate them and we're all "TORkiddies" now.

All this bellyaching is the sound of a cash register to Bioware.

For people trying to speculate on the date of the 2.1 million bought and 1.7 million subscribers, I would bet a substantial amount of money that the number is not as of today nor would it be as of the calendar year-end.

It is likely from a week or so ago due to limitations in building the data set and having it reviewed prior to being publicly disseminated.