Why do many MMO players not appreciate the story?

chakkar

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

Start a Trooper.

Get to main storyline.

"Sergeant, I'm a fellow enlisted soldier" /salute

wait...wait..did you just SALUTE me?

/log

Along with a number of other military inconsistencies, a whole branch of Republic special operations soldiers going rogue completely ruined the story for me. Not to mention Havoc Squad consisting entirely of myself and some cat faced bastard - where's the squad?

Why do you have a problem with someone saluting you? Bear in mind that this isn't US Army; hell, it's not even the Earth which has a number of military standards.

A large percentage here on the forums hate on the game and state that they don't give a crasp about the great story Bioware has put into the game. These are probably the same type of people who would play Modern Warfare, but feel they're a more sophisticated gamer, so they play MMO's....then constantly complain about them.

IMO, story is what sets this game apart. Ive only played bounty hunter so far and love the story and look forward to playing every class.

To be honest are they really MMO players if they dont? Not really, an MMO player is someone who loves the genre, everything it has to offer. Not just the endgame lobby sitting in a city trying to get a high badge/dungeon ratio.

The true MMO player is a dying breed

A large percentage here on the forums hate on the game and state that they don't give a crasp about the great story Bioware has put into the game. These are probably the same type of people who would play Modern Warfare, but feel they're a more sophisticated gamer, so they play MMO's....then constantly complain about them.

IMO, story is what sets this game apart. Ive only played bounty hunter so far and love the story and look forward to playing every class.

Because the stories suck! I have a 50 trooper light side, every quest no need for reward I was doing it for the republic. 50 Sage dark side, once again another clumsy master jedi trips into my lightsaber and dies. Nothing changes except for the bad guy in the quest.

So, you're saying that someone who likes Modern Warfare also can't like a story driven game? (P.S. - I enjoy both, and both have stories.)

Remember, opinions of anything are subjective. Just because YOU like something doesn't mean everyone else has to. Bioware implemented a great story, but some people don't enjoy games for stories. They enjoy games for challenges or action. Those people might find this MMO lacking in that department.

It's sad that roleplaying is viewed with such disdain by many players who consider themselves MMORPG veterans.

I view RP in an MMORPG with disdain simply because a majority of role-players have turned into drama hungry elitists. If I don't type eloquently or have an 80 page novel of a backstory, I'm ignored. It turned me off from role-playing as a character. But, remember, role isn't just defined as personality and character playing. When you pick a tank or a healer or a dps, you're also defined as filling a role. Either way you look at it, it could be deemed as acceptable.

Edited by KittyPrawn

It's sad that roleplaying is viewed with such disdain by many players who consider themselves MMORPG veterans.

"Veteran" status requires appreciating the story?

Personally, I game to, you know... game. If I want a story, I'll read a book, especially considering the caliber of story telling in video games, which is generally pretty atrocious (I said generally!).

I don't want a book asking me to beat a Mario level before I can read the next chapter either.

Story was a great way to introduce the game and class and bioware did a great job!!!!

W00T this game sure had a great introduction :D Could even make dialog choices. Cool!

now where is the rest of the game?.... I`ve finished the introduction and grinding that comes with it and ready for gameplay.

Done the 2x nightmare operations, but was that all? I`m done?

Where do I buy my own planet?

oh.. buying planets are not possible? A Death star perhaps? Destroyers...? new ship? new skilltree? pets...? start my own business? a tiny kiosk? anything?

Guess I can go retire on some planet and go fishing then! Cool ! fish! wait... can`t do that either? What about buying a house and water the plants in my garden...... ok ok I get it... game over.

There is story, but every MMO has story. World of Warcraft has an incredibly epic storyline.

It's not that players don't appreciate "story" but I think more about it's presentation. Many, many players don't enjoy the "digital actors" spoonfeeding it to them in cut scenes, and would prefer to see it more within in the context of action and playing the game.

Blizzard has done this to great success with the Icecrown 5 mans, and all throughout Cacaclysm... have you done the quest where you have to save Thrall? Amazing story, all told while you're participating... not watching.

Also just because there is story in the game, it doesn't mean it's good. I can say that I haven't experienced the feeling I did when I played KoTOR... partially because you can't, since it's an MMO, and your character can never be the main protagonist... something entirely possible only in single player games.

Edited by Lethality

A player wants X, they see a product that is Y, they buy Y and complain that Y isn't X.

That's just how some of them are. They don't like Story, Social Interaction, PvP, but they chose to join a Story based MMO with 2 factions in conflict with each other.

A player wants X, they see a product that is Y, they buy Y and complain that Y isn't X.

That's just how some of them are. They don't like Story, Social Interaction, PvP, but they chose to join a Story based MMO with 2 factions in conflict with each other.

That's a ridiculous generalization and over-simplification of the facts.

I really enjoyed the storyline, actually. It's what has kept me coming back for more. Hopefully with expansions we will see the storyline continued for each class.

I've been playing MMO's since EQ1, and XvT was my first online game, so approaching 20 years in this little niche, and I've never been drawn into a story or taken an interest in a character because of the story the way I did this one.

Edited by Akash

I genuinely feel bad space barring through stories due to how much work was put into them. I mean it sat through all of it on my Jedi Knight, but when I log on now I really only log on to make progress on my alt.

so i just patiently watch them as they play, drifting into one ear and out the next as I choose my dialogue with very little thought or care.

i guess it's working as intended idk

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.