if you want to invite me to party, ASK ME first.

Kabjat

And we're saying it's a GAME, not a way of life or secondary culture for most of us, so those links you posted mean nothing.

Join or don't. Doesn't bother me.

If I don't send you a tell first and you get upset about it, go play by yourself. I really DO NOT CARE. I don't think ANYONE invites you to their group to be an a-hole...most do it to be courteous as there are only so many quests in an area and if you're OBVIOUSLY on the same one, group up.

Me sending you an invite doesn't obligate you to do anything you don't wanna do. You don't have to be my buddy, I'm not adding you to my friends list and I won't get upset if you don't reply to my /whispers - all it means is I assume we're going after the same objectives and rather than fighting you for them, I'd rather include you.

This is seriously one of the most ridiculous things I've seen someone complain about.

Here's the thing. If it was only one invite, people probably wouldn't be annoyed enough to be posting. It's annoying to have the pop-up interrupt what we are doing as opposed to a whisper which doesn't but, most people would largely suck it up and move on. The real problem is that some folks repeatedly invite or become abusive over being declined.

I'd say it is also a reasonably useful topic if for no other reason than to open people's eyes to the fact that how they are going about inviting others is actually hindering whether they successfully group with a sizable percentage of people who don't group with people they have not at least been introduced to.

I sort of view it like asking for a ride by opening the door and then asking. For alot of people it's crossing a line of privacy thqat makes them uncomfortable and if I don't already know you, I'll be offended/threatened.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

even MORE astounding is when you hit decline, the invite reappears....as if the player thinks that there must be some mistake or he will wear me down by attrition.

One of my Pet hates too. Is saying hello so ahrd?

Not happened here but I have had to tell persistant invite spammers in other games to [insert expletive of choice here].

My children do that when trying to get what they want. Too bad I don't have toggle auto-decline for them too. >.<

I prefer using Force Lightning on them instead.....

Some people should really learn2play MMOs.

Sure, send me an group invite. I'd be glad to help you. Please, could you just tell me first why you want to group up with me. Same with duel challenges. I'm not going to duel you when I have to beat elite.

Seriously, I'm not going to get mad at you if you don't send whisper first. I just decline it and continue what I was doing. But don't spam. I get sometimes like 4 duel challenges from same player in a row.

The invite popup in this game is tiny. There is nothing rude about just sending someone a join request. That IS asking.

It is asking to party but nothing more. What needs to be asked is what content you want them to group with you for.

The asking needs to be more specific than a party invite.

There are obviously 2 sides there though, each favoring speed.

On one hand the people who send blind invites want to save time by just sending (or spamming in some cases) party invites.

On the other hand the people who do not like blind invites want to save time by not having to figure out why they are getting a party invite.

I find it a little rude if you're out questing, or standing around on the fleet and you receive a random invite. I always decline these. If you're waiting on a mob to respawn for a bonus mission or something though and someone blind invites to join up for him, I don't see anything wrong. A lot of times, they don't whisper because they don't want to be halfway through typing it out when you tag that mob and make them wait 10 minutes for it to respawn so they can finish the quest too.

OMG...this is still going???

Gotta love it.

Agree or disagree with the OP all you want, this has been THE most entertaining thread in general EVER !!

Bravo Kab !

lol hiya Arnokar xD

Well, hey...if it gets people talking, then I'd say it's a good thing! :D Heaven knows there is far too much misunderstanding that leads to flaming and then before you know it, the thread gets closed.

I'm happy that people are talking about a social aspect of the game. In truth, when I first posted, I honestly expected only negative feedback. I had no CLUE that there were so many who shared my outlook.

I respect where people are coming from whom I do not agree with, but I'm still gonna talk to them as long as they are willing. I find it a rare treat to share ideas in a civil manner with someone who holds an opposing viewpoint. That kind of back and forth can only be a good thing for the community.

I can't speak for anyone else, but as for me, I now realize not everyone who blind invites is trying to be rude. Maybe if people can start to see where others are coming from, the divide will shrink and the community will be better for it. :)

And we're saying it's a GAME, not a way of life or secondary culture for most of us, so those links you posted mean nothing.

Join or don't. Doesn't bother me.

If I don't send you a tell first and you get upset about it, go play by yourself. I really DO NOT CARE. I don't think ANYONE invites you to their group to be an a-hole...most do it to be courteous as there are only so many quests in an area and if you're OBVIOUSLY on the same one, group up.

You know, phrases like "That means nothing to me" and "I don't care" are good indicators that your behavior is rude.

A lot of times, they don't whisper because they don't want to be halfway through typing it out when you tag that mob and make them wait 10 minutes for it to respawn so they can finish the quest too.

Exactly. Had that happen when I was waiting and someone behind missed out and was halfway done typing to ask. I felt so bad killing the mob without them. I would have rather they just blind invited in that situation.

Oh RLY.

Yes you are.

This is a very VERY inventive jumbling and rearranging the words that I have said over the course of the entire thread. Grats! xD

Now then, if you would like to contribute something meaningful and constructive, I would LOVE to hear it! I want to know WHY you disagree with my point of view. I seriously and really and truly do.

I usually hate blind invites but this isnt a big deal here in this game. I always get them from some player nearby who is doing the same quests as me so why not. Its only a problem if youre being recruited for specific content that you have no intention of doing like a FP or heroic. If I cant see you tho Im much more likely to just decline immediately. Blind guild invites are entirely ignored.

I will say that group quest turn ins/dialogues drive random group members crazy tho lol. One would think they could use the social points, but they always drop and there goes the group.

Edited by ghettogenius

You know, phrases like "That means nothing to me" and "I don't care" are good indicators that your behavior is rude.

This X 1000. Really, people, is it so hard to try to see the other person's point of view?

There are people who have a different view than mine, and I'm not going to post that I don't care. Because I do, in fact, care. Even if we disagree, the fact that we can expend a tiny bit of energy respecting each other can help compensate for our differences.

It's not just a "MMO Etiquette" thing, it's a standard decency thing. It's not like I walk up to someone in the street and just go, "Hey, lets go."

Many of the best moments of my life have started exactly like this, including meeting my fiancé!

A little spontaneity can make life much more fun!

I would much rather live in a world where someone felt that they could approach me and take a blind chance than to have everyone live in fear of broaching decorum.

Edited by Democratus

Wow, I had no idea this was proper etiquette, but it makes sense. The few times I have invited someone blindly, it was because they were ahead of me going into a non-instanced, class nonspecific quest area that only had one objective and I didn't feel like fighting over mobs. lol. I will definitely give this thread thought next time. Thanks OP!

It's honestly faster and could mean others getting credit or not if they invite and then explain later, I do this and if it offends you... I guess i should of just jumped the mob before you got the chance, since that wouldn't be as rude as trying to share it without writing anything out.

Exactly. Had that happen when I was waiting and someone behind missed out and was halfway done typing to ask. I felt so bad killing the mob without them. I would have rather they just blind invited in that situation.

It's honestly faster and could mean others getting credit or not if they invite and then explain later, I do this and if it offends you... I guess i should of just jumped the mob before you got the chance, since that wouldn't be as rude as trying to share it without writing anything out.

Sigh. Guys, that exact situation been addressed in this thread several times now. And you're both right. Also: no one, not even the OP, is saying that a blind invite in that situation is wrong.

Can we please move past that now?

Edited by mrcaptainpants

Hi, everyone. I agree with what seems to be the general consensus here - It's generally rude to do a blind invite. The one exception is when a couple of people are obviously waiting for a particular quest target to respawn. I also generally turn down blind invites except when the person is there waiting for the mob I'm also after, because then the reason for the invite is obvious.

Another thing I really dislike is blind challenges to duels. I usually don't like duelling anyway (I have a short attention span, and I'm usually interested in something else), but a blind challenge without asking me first is an absolute guarantee that it will be turned down.

Also: no one, not even the OP, is saying that a blind invite in that situation is wrong.

Go to page 1 and check it out. The OP says nothing at all about special situations. It simply says to not invite without messaging.

Regardless of what may have been said in the intervening time - the OP has not been altered and makes no exceptions.

Go to page 1 and check it out. The OP says nothing at all about special situations. It simply says to not invite without messaging.

Regardless of what may have been said in the intervening time - the OP has not been altered and makes no exceptions.

He has a point. It's a little silly to expect people to read 30ish pages of posts to know what has or has not been said.

I've never declined a blind invite. Typing /invite $$$$$ and trying to spell your 14 character name right takes longer than for you to kill the mob we both need which would have completed both our bonuses giving us both 1500 exp. extra. It will only take you longer to level questing alone. With you obvious rebutlle that you're not trying to level quickly, sounds like you'd rather play a single player game, it'll certainly cost you less.

If you don't want to read more than 1 page then you probably shouldn't get involved in 38 page threads.