This game is horrible on low to mid range laptops

Staramati

XP SP 3 compatibility mode. On my quad core laptop with a dedicated card I occaisionally get 60 fps on high quality textures with shader complexity on low. The game still looks great. I average around 20-30 fps though, very playable, even in fleet. Edited by Jonlinar

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Low to midrange laptops have pathetic to lame graphics capabilities at best. Yes, you wanna run it with everything up, you gotta fork out for a better gpu and prepare to deal with the heat. Or you could just get a REAL computer and build a desktop ...

A laptop is a real computer, and for me at least, far preferable than a desktop.

A laptop is a real computer, and for me at least, far preferable than a desktop.

Unless the laptop costs $2k+ it is basically just a mobile word processor, becuase the components inside of it can barely play YouTube videos without skipping.

Microsoft Security Essentials is great and free.

Microsoft Security Essentials sucks.

just get AVG Free. lol.

edit: for those of you on low-end laptops, you can edit your .ini files for a low-quality renderer. I have a tutorial for that. If you want it, send me a PM and ill send you the tutorial.

Unless the laptop costs $2k+ it is basically just a mobile word processor, becuase the components inside of it can barely play YouTube videos without skipping.

my $400 laptop doesnt even meet minimum requirements for this game and it plays it just fine.

stop spouting gargabe.

Edited by tiennen

If you have a back injury you should be up exercising and strengthening your back rather then sitting around playing a computer game. I'm in healthcare as well.

And you, good Sir, you should be sitting down exercising your brain; start with Strunk and White.

Aye, my laptop is the more powerful of the two PCs I have and the other is a desktop. Quad core, dedicated graphics, DDR3 RAM, 1920x1080 native screen res with a blu-ray drive. It's nice. It even has 5.1 surround sound with a dedicated subwoofer. Sound is great. Though I did find it pretty chuckle worthy how a laptop has surround sound haha. And it was for less than $2k.

Edited by Jonlinar

just get AVG Free. lol.

edit: for those of you on low-end laptops, you can edit your .ini files for a low-quality renderer. I have a tutorial for that. If you want it, send me a PM and ill send you the tutorial.

AVG became such a memory whore it actually makes me sad to think about it. AVG sucks now. it used to be good but that's when it was just entering college in it's late teens/early 20s and only weight abut 110 lbs. Now it's 60, angry from being used up, got a couple STDs and a baby on the hip. Oh the glory days...

If you have a back injury you should be up exercising and strengthening your back rather then sitting around playing a computer game. I'm in healthcare as well.

Yes, because I must do nothing other than that. You cannot have just said that to me with a straight face.

I spend in excess of an hour a day doing rehab, so thanks for playing.

Gaming laptops are expensive. What you have ... the OP that is ... isn't a gaming Laptop. I surprised it can play at all.

I'm sure you won't have a problem playing Freecell.

Sorry to sound like an ***** but games require gaming rigs. Its really that simple. Do anything else and its a crapshoot.

For this game, or any game in the future you might want to play that isn't a simple card game, you might want to buy a gaming desktop. They're easier to up grade, cheaper than Laptops and have more bang for the buck.

just get AVG Free. lol.

Are you serious? AVG sucks complete arse. It used to be good, but now it is so much bloatware that it does more harm than good, and MSE is actually an amazing product, which is surprising considering it came from MS.

I have used a lap top configured for gaming when away from home visiting a friend. Gaming laptops work perfectly fine and are an option for people who want portability for whatever reason.

You really have to get one made for gaming though to be guaranteed good performance though. Just any old lap top, especially just straight out of a store isn't necessarily going to cut it for higher end games. Need to understand specs and how the bits and pieces work related to games and specifically MMOs in order to get one that will work well.

In general it's fairly straightforward though.

"Gaming" laptops are more expensive compared to a desktop that has the same specs and bits and pieces. You're going to pay more then you would if you got the same bits in a desktop.

It just comes down to choice.

I don't need portability for gaming so I got a gaming desktop. I got way more bang for my buck. A similar speced lap top would have cost oodles more.

My laptop is a midrange model that will play some games pretty good and some really bad. SWTOr stinks on it. I don't use it for games so it isn't an issue. It's mostly just for net surfing, word processing and a file transporter.

laptop

i think that says it all

Your post = ignorance.

The only thing that is true about gaming on a laptop these days is that you will pay more for the convenience of portability than you would for a similarly performing laptop.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&model_name=NP8180

Core i7 Extreme? Can do that.

2x nVidia 560 or 2x ATI 6990 in SLI? Can do that.

12gb of ram? no problem

Solid State drives in RAID configuration? Can do that also

Hell, that one I linked even has additional macro keys on the right side of the keyboard for gaming.

Will you pay a hefty price tag for that level of performance? Absolutely.

But you can check your ignorance at the door if you still believe laptops aren't capable of gaming. Even moderately priced one around the $1000 mark can play all but the most demaninding games well.

not bashing laptop users, but they are simply not designed for use over EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME like a desktop is, and if you are going to play a game for hours on end every day, its a more safe investment going for a desktop (ie your computer will not only run better, but also last longer as a desktop given factors like heat transfer and electron migration are three times as prominent on laptop design due to parts being literally on top of one another)

You are stupid and really need to stop giving out false info. Throwing in fancy tech babble like electron migration doesnt make your statement any less false.

I have an ASUS Gaming laptop that I have had for going on 3 years now that I have played multiple games on it for extended periods of time. I rarely even turn the thing off even when I am not using it and it has shown ZERO signs of giving up.

Hell, beofore I go the ASUS, I had a Gateway....yes i said Gateway laptop that lasted many years and I abused the hell out of the thing.

You are stupid and really need to stop giving out false info. Throwing in fancy tech babble like electron migration doesnt make your statement any less false.

I have an ASUS Gaming laptop that I have had for going on 3 years now that I have played multiple games on it for extended periods of time. I rarely even turn the thing off even when I am not using it and it has shown ZERO signs of giving up.

Hell, beofore I go the ASUS, I had a Gateway....yes i said Gateway laptop that lasted many years and I abused the hell out of the thing.

Electron migration... you know... electricity... that **** bleeds all over the place. :rolleyes:

This game aint so bad on low end laptops actually, mine couldnt be anymore low end.

HP Pavillion DV6750EA

1.73Ghz Celeron Duo CPU

3GIG of RAM

Nvidia Geforce 8400GM GPU

500GIG Harddrive 7,200RPM

Put settings on low, works great.

P.S.... it's 6 years old and used everyday for gaming.

Edited by Twaggy

And you, good Sir, you should be sitting down exercising your brain; start with Strunk and White.

You mean the outdated and ignorant nearly 100 year old grammar book, The Elements of Style, that colleges and most educated people ignore? Is that what I should read to exercise my brain? Perhaps telling me to go read Language Log would have been more apt? :cool:

Hrmm

Edited by Mungadai

Low to midrange laptops have pathetic to lame graphics capabilities at best. Yes, you wanna run it with everything up, you gotta fork out for a better gpu and prepare to deal with the heat. Or you could just get a REAL computer and build a desktop ...

I'm running a laptop with dual 6990s, an I7 2820 and there isn't a game on the market that I can't run at max settings and never drop below 100 FPS(Although Arkham City took a couple patches to get those FPS while DX11 was on and settings maxed). Most of us laptop gamers take it seriously; my favorite game for shiny at the moment is The Witcher 2.

A Targus gaming chill-mat is all it takes to keep my rig running cool. The days of "laptops can't do real gaming" are over my friend. Although I will concede that a desk top can do it cheaper, but some of us like to stay reasonably mobile.

Are you serious? AVG sucks complete arse. It used to be good, but now it is so much bloatware that it does more harm than good, and MSE is actually an amazing product, which is surprising considering it came from MS.

I used to use AVG Free. I tried MSE based on a WoW forum recommendation....MSE found a couple of things AVG had let thru. That was an eye opener.

. Bought a a6 quad core toshiba with 6620g graphics 500 g hd 4gigs ram it got decent fps but still ran bad IMO just seemed bad when you would turn etc was running on ultra low then tried a asus gaming laptop 3 years old with 1gig graphics it sucked more than the and. The and ended up giving me blue screens and overheating from running swotor. Basically you need 600 plus to get a decent laptop to run this I'm thinking i5 quad core nvidia 540m 6 gigs at the least. Prob better to go i7 but I wouldn't waste your money trying to cut corners to run this well.

Em....

I am playing on a 4 yeas old dual core laptop with a Nvidia 9600M GS and 4GB ram. Everything is smooth as an egg (other then the republic fleet lol).

Are you sure you arnt having a stroke?

It kills the gaming laptops as well. Using an i7 Quad core with an ATI HD 5730 and I have to set all graphics to low in warzones, plus I had to buy a cooling stand to keep from overheating.

Fun game, but very demanding