George Lucas Retires from Star Wars

FourTwent

I disagree. "Speculating" negatively on somebody's character and motivations, especially when accompanied by cherry-picked misinformation, isn't legitimate criticism.....it's borderline slander. Even taking the Plinkett persona into account, the most diplomatic thing I can say is that the comedy elements seriously compromised it's integrity as a critique.

I think the Prequels and SE's have their flaws too, but fair is fair and much of what is in that "review" is anything but fair.

Of course it it.

If you live in the public eye you have to grow a thick skin. Short of libel, the press ALWAYS 'cherry pick' information to present an opinion (often negatively) on the motives, et cetera, of anybody and everyone in the public eye; politicians and bankers get the worst of it. And these reports are ALWAYS presented in a way in which the individual media outlet wish for it to be seen.

George Lucas is nothing special, it happens to him no more than anyone else.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it it.

If you live in the public eye you have to grow a thick skin. Short of libel, the press ALWAYS 'cherry pick' information to present an opinion (often negatively) on the motives, et cetera, of anybody and everyone in the public eye; politicians and bankers get the worst of it. And these reports are ALWAYS presented in a way in which the individual media outlet wish for it to be seen.

George Lucas is nothing special, it happens to him no more than anyone else.

That doesn't excuse such behavior or make it right, nor does it legitimize Plinkett's so-called "review."

And again, what is Lucas really saying here besides an understandable and completely justified "who cares what they think?" He's been wanting to make smaller films for a long time now. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that we chased him into it. And you know what? If we can dish it out for over a decade now, over a few movies no less, we can damn sure stand to take a bit of it back. George Lucas isn't running for office, and he doesn't need our vote. If every single hardcore fan dropped off the face of the planet it would only make the tiniest of tiny dents in the money that the Star Wars franchise makes. We need him more than he needs us whether we want to admit it or not.

Edited by Jmannseelo

While i agree he technically owns his writing, don't you guys agree that he has a responsibility to his fans to at least hear them out.

Who says he doesn't? When you have millions of die-hard fans there is no way in .... you can please everybody. And looking at any Star Wars fan-discussion it seems impossible to even please 10% since so much is open for interpetation. Just look at all the heated arguments between fans about Star Wars. Out of all the millions of fans it seems hard to even get 1000 people to agree on something Star Wars related.

In a way he is a victim of his own success.

i completly agree with him and BTW its not his job to give you the version of the movies U want to see their not YOUR movies the story of star wars is the story of star wars HE created not what YOU want so all you people who *****ed about the prequals and the clone wars need to shut your mouth. you have no clue what you'r talking about and this is what you get for it.

well i read somewhere that in 2013 or 2014 sometime in that period there is going to be episodes 7 8 and 9 can anyone verify this ?

Lucas can verify that it's BS in the 60 minutes interview, Quote: "There is NO episode 7 and NEVER will be".

Ofcoz when he dies and his adopted kids inherit the licences, who knows.

I don't know why fans feel so entitled to everything.

Its his story, let the man tell it the way he wants to. We have enough films that are simply designed to "please the crowd". That is why we end up with sequel after sequel. The difference between those and Star Wars is that Star Wars was already written up. The story already existed and movies like transformers 3 is just something the writers can more or less produce whatever crap they want.

The Star Wars universe are based off of books that George Lucas wrote himself. He can't completely butcher the story for the sake of the fans but yeah he does need to get enough in there that the stories make sense and for the most part they do unless you are a hawk that has such an eye for detail that they keep on picking up on the loopholes that every movie has.

I can't believe someone says The Phantom Menace is the worst movie he ever saw. I suppose you never watched the Saw series or really ANY horror flick ever created. Worst movie I ever saw was the one with Jason in space. That **** was so bad they should of just made it for Science Theater 3000 to watch and make fun of. Alien vs Predator was another group of HORRIBLE movies. Those movies just piss me off so much watching them. You had no idea what a bad movie is. NO IDEA!

Edited by Kabloosh

so how many of us just cocked our rifles? LOL

Hehe. And the Tv-series has been put on hold. ***, thought Lucas and Lucasarts had nearly unlimited resources. It was supposed to premiere this year, but now we don't even know if it will ever materialize. From what I've read they haven't even started filming yet.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=21113

So I am sad to see him retire, what ever I think about the three recent films it cannot detract from the revelation that A New Hope etc were to the audiences back in the 70's. Ever since I first saw it I was hooked on the films, owning it on more formats (including laser disk) and in more formats than i care to recall.

The problem was when he started to believe his own publicity. The re-hashed versions of the first 3 films did little for me, but they werent that bad (however I am still gutted that he made Han shoot second) - similar to how I enjoy the sight variations on a theme with Blade Runner re-cuts.

But, and boy, did he fail bad, I am sorry to those that like, but PM was dire. It seemed that the plot, the dialogue etc was put so far down the list of prioirites (after special effects) that it didnt register. From what I have read now it seems people were just to scared (or thats what they claim) to tell him the truth. So now I can't watch PM due to Anakin shouting "Yippee!" every two minutes, Jar Jar Binks - 'nuff said, let alone the remaining dialogue written by a 4 year old... Its redeeming feature was well Darth Maul who uttered one line....

The second and third films did get better, (they would have had to really try hard to get worse) with RotS becoming almost watchable more than once every six months. I have to say I still can't decide if I blame the key actors for some of the films faults or just the poor scripts / direction they were given to work with.

So to Mr Lucas thanking for creating the universe I adore, and please enjoy your retirement.

Peeps' final thoughts:

I'd suggest the people that say it's Lucas' universe, and he can do what he wants (which, from a legal standpoint, none of us deny) consider how they'd react if Lucas decided he hated everything about Star Wars that has ever been done, stopped allowing the movies to be produced (and imagine this in an era before digital data, where once all copies fade, all that's left are crappy copies of copies) and forbade production of video games featuring those characters so he could promote the new version he's going to put out. And imagine he rewrote the history so the one you grew up reading and following is now wrong.

Now imagine you complain that you can't watch the films you grow up on, and Lucas, who you once praised as a hero to cinema who created a glorious world for you to play in, tells you "I don't care. They're my movies." Then imagine that, 10 years from now, kids that grew up on his new films tell you you're not a true Star Wars fan because you're still complaining that you can't watch the Episodes 1-6 you grew up on. That by voicing frustration that Lucas went from openly encouraging your fandom to basically telling you to go screw yourself, somehow that makes you not a "true fan," and you should just suck it up and be grateful for what Lucas gives you.

Just consider it for a minute.

I don't think most people have a problem with such sentiments. I know I don't. Rather, it's the way so many people express them. It comes across as very selfish, elitist, childish and even self-defeating. The only thing all of this bitterness and hostility can accomplish, as we've seen, is making Lucas dig his heels in and fight their demands all the harder. This frustrates me because I would like to see fully restored copies of the original OT Trilogy released one day, and I know that the more violently and negatively the hardcore fanbase pushes, the less likely it is I'll see it in my lifetime.

All I'm lobbying for is a bit of restraint and fair play. By all means, keep expressing a desire for the unaltered originals. Keep pointing out that other people's legacies are tied up with these movies as well as Lucas', that they're a part of our cultural heritage, and that their preservation is worthwhile. All of this is true and worth pointing out.

But at the same time, can we lose the hostility? The accusations of "just wanting to make money," of being a meglomaniac and somebody that no-one likes working with? Can we give credit where credit is due and not pass Star Wars' success as having more to do with the Kershners and Marquands than the man who put so much into the entire saga? Can we not constantly hold up such blatant smear-pieces like the RedLetterMedia review as a shining beacon of truth? Can we stop pretending that we own Star Wars???

Far too many are setting this up as some sort of battle..."The People vs George Lucas" as it were. And that's sad because it's a battle that "the people" can only lose for themselves. I might not know George Lucas, but everything I've seen and read about the man leads me to believe that the more he feels like he's being pushed around with his own creations, the harder he pushes back. And I'm sorry, but as an artist myself I really can't blame him. I would feel the exact same way were I in his shoes, and would likely behave the same way too. In spirit I can see both sides, but in the way things are actually unfolding I can see his side more.

And that sucks, because there are some good and valid reasons why the original versions should be released, but if "fandom" doesn't get over itself it won't happen for a long long time.

Edited by Jmannseelo

Peeps' final thoughts:

I'd suggest the people that say it's Lucas' universe, and he can do what he wants (which, from a legal standpoint, none of us deny) consider how they'd react if Lucas decided he hated everything about Star Wars that has ever been done, stopped allowing the movies to be produced (and imagine this in an era before digital data, where once all copies fade, all that's left are crappy copies of copies) and forbade production of video games featuring those characters so he could promote the new version he's going to put out. And imagine he rewrote the history so the one you grew up reading and following is now wrong.

Now imagine you complain that you can't watch the films you grow up on, and Lucas, who you once praised as a hero to cinema who created a glorious world for you to play in, tells you "I don't care. They're my movies." Then imagine that, 10 years from now, kids that grew up on his new films tell you you're not a true Star Wars fan because you're still complaining that you can't watch the Episodes 1-6 you grew up on. That by voicing frustration that Lucas went from openly encouraging your fandom to basically telling you to go screw yourself, somehow that makes you not a "true fan," and you should just suck it up and be grateful for what Lucas gives you.

Just consider it for a minute.

There just movies, I personally could careless if I ever see the untouched original again, heck I could careless if I see any of the 6 movies again, I've seen them once and had fun watching them... End of story....

Some of you guys act like the movies are some sort of godly idol that has to be worshipped, it's a bit scary...

Correct, but we can criticize Lucas if we like. It's a pity that Lucas isn't seemingly mature enough to take the criticism for what it is rather than as some sort of personal attack.

And we can criticize all the whackos out there that think they have some sort of say in what he does with his life and products..

Edited by Monoth

And we can criticize all the whackos out there that think they have some sort of say in what he does with his life and products..

And we can criticize the whackos who criticize the critics as if they have some sort of say in what other people think and what not. :rolleyes:

I own the Bluray collection of SW recently released and I don't think that gorge killed anything.

You got 3 action movies and 3 story movies, with 1 in each being ridiculous (PM and NH).

I'd love to see lucas make 7-9 and make them story driven ~^

He was more pissed about "Red Tails" then anything. Has little to do about star wars, more about him being sick of the industry..

Exactly. The OP is reading a little too much into this. Lucas says nothing about selling off the SW franchise or anything like that. He said he's basically done directing and/or producing big budget films. The guy is 67 and already done 6 SW films. It's been pretty clear for a long time that he was never going to do another SW film. Instead, he's put his efforts towards the re-releases, special editions, 3D, etc. and the Clone Wars TV show. The article really has no bearing on the SW franchise.

As for his comment about fanboy frustration, that's totally understandable. Some people are complete idiots and I'm sure the guy has gotten death threats because he changed the Han/Greedo fight. Did I like the change? Heck no. But I'm not going to let it ruin my life either. Some people need to get a grip. After roughly 35 years since SW came out, I'm sure he's gotten more hate thrown his way than anyone would be willing to put up with.