George Lucas Retires from Star Wars

FourTwent

Um, it's pretty clear he's specifically referring to the films. As in "we", the fans of the original unedited films, wouldn't buy any of the Special Editions if we could just buy the originals.

......NOT buying the special editions would send a pretty clear message I would think.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, it's pretty clear he's specifically referring to the films. As in "we", the fans of the original unedited films, wouldn't buy any of the Special Editions if we could just buy the originals.

That makes even less sense, since giving those fans what they want would amount to more DVD sales, not to mention reignited interest in all of the other Star Wars stuff floating around out there.

I understand the frustration. To a much smaller degree I even share it. I would love a high quality version of the originals myself, for posterity if nothing else. But I don't think his refusal has anything to do with fears of a financial crash. Whether it's right or wrong, for better or for worse, I think his reasons are largely artistic in nature. If there is any connection to the diehard fanbase it probably has more to do with the loud, negative and highly combative way they have expressed their displeasure. We're talking about a guy who dropped out of Hollywood circles because he didn't like being held to ransom when it came to his films. It's not much of a leap to make a similar connection to those belligerently demanding he yield to their desires now, with all sorts of insults and verbal attacks thrown in for good measure. Perhaps if "the fans" would chill out and not make this such a full-stop confrontation he would eventually come to many of these conclusions on his own and voluntarily relent. As it stands this is a battle we can only lose, since the decision is his to make. There's an old saying about honey and vinegar that comes to mind.

Edited by Jmannseelo

The typical fans you speak of, the mainstream ones not as devoted as us, abandoned Star Wars entirely sometime around 1999.

To sit here and try to justify different types of fans is a farce. You sir, are entitled to nothing more than what Lucas gives you. Why? Because he owns the franchise and he makes decisions as he sees fit. You do not have a say in the matter. Regardless of who directed or produced what, Lucas owns the rights to it all. If you want things done the way you want them to be done, go out and make your own damn movie franchise.

I am a "fan" of Star Wars. Please keep your "us" comments in your own little social circle as it has no merit in regards to me or fans in general when it comes to Star Wars.

It mainly boils down to the fact that Lucas has forgotten how to tell a story and write dialog. He meant well I am sure. It's the cheesy lines and his lack of story telling that ruined the prequels. It wasn't the actors fault that they had to read that swill.

I agree with OP, once you put a movie out, everyone who watches it adopts it. I paid alot of money for my Star Wars collection over the years. Now, it's worth crap thanks to Lucas making crappy prequels. Yeah, it's my fault for thinking he could make another great film. But him being a control freak kept great movies from being made.

I've been a fan for years. Heck, even one of my relatives is in 2 of the movies. So what. I am not going to like crap movies. Lucas messed it up. Plain and simple.

I say thanks Lucas for the Trilogy, no thanks for the prequels.

Edited by Screamster

To sit here and try to justify different types of fans is a farce. You sir, are entitled to nothing more than what Lucas gives you. Why? Because he owns the franchise and he makes decisions as he sees fit. You do not have a say in the matter. Regardless of who directed or produced what, Lucas owns the rights to it all. If you want things done the way you want them to be done, go out and make your own damn movie franchise.

I am a "fan" of Star Wars. Please keep your "us" comments in your own little social circle as it has no merit in regards to me or fans in general when it comes to Star Wars.

Kanharn, if you wanted an example of an "emo", here's one.

To Alkiii: if an artist is only making art to satisfy his/her own growth as an artist, then there is indeed no obligation to the public. However, if that artist has the added goal of making money from his/her creation, then there is indeed some obligation to give the public what they want. If that artist decides to tell the public that a work of his that they liked is wrong, the public can then tell him that he's being selfish.

Kanharn, if you wanted an example of an "emo", here's one.

Ummm, that's not emo either.

To Alkiii: if an artist is only making art to satisfy his/her own growth as an artist, then there is indeed no obligation to the public. However, if that artist has the added goal of making money from his/her creation, then there is indeed some obligation to give the public what they want. If that artist decides to tell the public that a work of his that they liked is wrong, the public can then tell him that he's being selfish.

Obligation has nothing to do with anything. An artist puts whatever he or she wants out to the public and members of the public buy or ignore what they want. George Lucas isn't obligated to release the original versions and you aren't obligated to buy the Special Editions. It's that simple.

Edited by Jmannseelo

Ummm, that's not emo either.

Obligation has nothing to do with anything. An artist puts whatever he or she wants out to the public and members of the public buy or discard what they want. George Lucas isn't obligated to release the original versions and you aren't obligated to buy the Special Editions. It's that simple.

Correct, but we can criticize Lucas if we like. It's a pity that Lucas isn't seemingly mature enough to take the criticism for what it is rather than as some sort of personal attack.

Correct, but we can criticize Lucas if we like.

This is also true. It is a free country. However, to be fair a lot of the criticism does get very personal, and that is not only unnecessary but counterproductive. I mean really, if you had half the things said about you that Lucas has, would you be motivated to give those people what they want? I honestly doubt it.

As for him moving to smaller-scale artsier films, I wouldn't put too much stock in fans leading him to that choice. He's been talking about doing that for ages now, and what I got from the interview was more of a "why should I bother" when it comes to blockbusters rather than "this is why I'm quitting." Which I don't begrudge him that view at all. I'm sure I would feel the same way were I in his shoes.

Edited by Jmannseelo

......NOT buying the special editions would send a pretty clear message I would think.

Which I didn't. That's not the point. For some folks who were completely unaware of the bonus DVDs (because nobody advertised them), buying the Special Editions is their only option.

That makes even less sense, since giving those fans what they want would amount to more DVD sales, not to mention reignited interest in all of the other Star Wars stuff floating around out there.

I understand the frustration. To a much smaller degree I even share it. I would love a high quality version of the originals myself, for posterity if nothing else. But I don't think his refusal has anything to do with fears of a financial crash. Whether it's right or wrong, for better or for worse, I think his reasons are largely artistic in nature. If there is any connection to the diehard fanbase it probably has more to do with the loud, negative and highly combative way they have expressed their displeasure. We're talking about a guy who dropped out of Hollywood circles because he didn't like being held to ransom when it came to his films. It's not much of a leap to make a similar connection to those belligerently demanding he yield to their desires now, with all sorts of insults and verbal attacks thrown in for good measure. Perhaps if "the fans" would chill out and not make this such a full-stop confrontation he would eventually come to many of these conclusions on his own and voluntarily relent. As it stands this is a battle we can only lose, since the decision is his to make. There's an old saying about honey and vinegar that comes to mind.

I agree with you, but I don't think that's the point the other poster was making. He was saying that a lot of people wouldn't buy the Special Editions if they had a choice, and Lucas, as an artistic choice, doesn't want that. He doesn't want to give people the option of choosing between his preferred version or the originals. It's not a financial thing. It's that Lucas may (potentially) see more people buying the originals instead of his vision, and he doesn't want to see that.

Like I've said, I know he's perfectly in his right to do this. I also still think he's letting a piece of cinematic history die out of stubbornness and pettiness.

:rolleyes: You really, completely missed to whom I was referring when I said mainstream audience. Guess what: you're not it. None of us are.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

You need to stop with the rage for a moment and read what I said more carefully. I'm not talking about what say I have in his movies.

Empire Strikes Back was directed by Irvin Kershner. Return of the Jedi was directed by Richard Marquand. As is tradition in Hollywood, the director is the final creative authority on films. It's why Jaws, for example, is considered Stephen Spielberg's work, even though he didn't produce it, write the screenplay for it, or come up with the idea for it. When I'm talking about moral right, I'm talking about changing a director's creative vision without their approval. In reference to Episode IV, like I've said, he is the director, and therefore has full creative control over his film. But as a self-proclaimed student of cinema who has upheld American films as part of America's cultural heritage, I'm saying I don't think he has the moral right to prevent the reproduction of those original effects which, whether he likes it or not, are part of our cultural heritage.

The bottom line is there are professionals in Hollywood that have offered their services to remaster the originals. Robert Harris, famed restoration expert and film historian who remastered The Godfather by hand, offered to fully restore the originals in time for the 2006 DVD release, and LucasFilm didn't even bother responding. Instead they pulled the Laserdisc master and did a piss-poor transfer copy of a copy.

Pay attention: When a distinguished film historian is saying that failing to preserve the original films is wrong, claims of nerdrage and fandom gone rampant fall flat.

You still dont get it, both those directors were paid large sums of money to direct those movies FOR George Lucas, he hired them... If I was to follow your logic then If I had an architect design my home and 5 years later I wanted to move some walls and remodel it, I would need the architects permission before doing so even tho I paid him for his work....

If I wanted to paint the color of my house a different color do I need permission from the original painter before I do so? Even tho it's my house?

It's pretty simple, if you don't like what George Lucas is doing then don't buy his products.... money talks...

And the whole argument that Star Wars is bigger then Lucas now is such a joke, Lucas can't control lunitics that create religions after his movies or name there children after characters in the movies or get married dressed up as Han Solo and Princess Leia... To think he owes people for doing such crazy things is a joke...

The way I see it, there are way to many unstable people out there....

Sorry but Lucas owes them nothing, he makes movies, either you like them or you don't... End of Story...

Edited by Monoth

This is also true. It is a free country. However, to be fair a lot of the criticism does get very personal, and that is not only unnecessary but counterproductive. I mean really, if you had half the things said about you that Lucas has, would you be motivated to give those people what they want? I honestly doubt it.

As for him moving to smaller-scale artsier films, I wouldn't put too much stock in fans leading him to that choice. He's been talking about doing that for ages now, and what I got from the interview was more of a "why should I bother" when it comes to blockbusters rather than "this is why I'm quitting." Which I don't begrudge him that view at all. I'm sure I would feel the same way were I in his shoes.

If Lucas didn't want to deal with criticism, he should have chosen another line of work. Fame and scrutiny go hand in hand when one goes into the entertainment business. Lucas helped create something that became a big part of popular culture, and clearly, he can't handle the scrutiny that's come with the fame. If he really thought that he'd get nothing but praise for everything he did no matter how poor it was, then he truly lacks understanding.

You still dont get it, both those directors were paid large sums of money to direct those movies FOR George Lucas, he hired them... If I was to follow your logic then If I had an architect design my home and 5 years later I wanted to move some walls and remodel it, I would need the architects permission before doing so even tho I paid him for his work....

If I wanted to paint the color of my house a different color do I need permission from the original painter before I do so? Even tho it's my house?

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2010/10/irvin-kershner

One of the biggest surprises in the book is that, in 1980, you had to convince interviewers you were not just following George’s direction. Obviously no one thinks that today. What was the biggest argument you and George had over a particular scene? (Well, obviously no one except Kool-Aid drinking fanboys in SWTOR forums)

There was really only one disagreement. It was the Carbon Freeze scene when Princess Leia says, “I love you.” Han Solo’s response in the script was, “I love you, too.” I shot the line and it just didn’t seem right for the character of Han Solo. So we worked on the scene on the set. We kept trying different things and couldn’t get the right line. We were into the lunch break and I said to Harrison try it again and just do whatever comes to mind. That is when Harrison said the line, “I know.” After the take, I said to my assistant director, David Tomblin, “It’s a wrap.” David looked at me in disbelief and said something like, “Hold on, we just went to overtime. You’re not happy with that, are you?” And I said, yes, it’s the perfect Han Solo remark, and so we went to lunch. George saw the first cut and said, “Wait a minute, wait a minute. That’s not the line in the script.” I said ““I love you, too’ was not Han Solo.” Han Solo was a rebel. George felt that the audience would laugh. And I said, that’s wonderful, he is probably going to his death for all they know. We sat in the room and he thought about it. He then asked me, “Did you shoot the line in the script?” I said yes. So we agreed that we would do two preview screenings once the film was cut and set to music with the line in and then with the line out. At the first preview in San Francisco, the house broke up after Han Solo said I know. When the film was over, people came up and said that is the most wonderful line and it worked. So George decided not to have the second screening.

George was the best producer I ever worked with. He left me alone and only came to England a few times. I told George at one point that I was behind schedule, not that it was anyone’s fault, but because it was so complex. Many of the special effects that were done on set often did not work at all. His answer was, “Keep doing what you are doing. Just keep shooting.” This was the greatest thing for a director to hear from a producer.

The ironic thing about guys like you is you give the older folks crap for being stubborn and hard-headed, yet you can't be open-minded enough to consider that many of the truths that you cling to are a load of crap.

George Lucas is a child. Worse, he's a child throwing a temper tantrum.

Fact is, he made up an awesome universe, and, when there were people to reel back his more stupid ideas, he made a decent movie (The Empire Strikes Back, ftw!).

But then a bunch of far-more-talented writers started playing in his universe and doing MUCH better jobs at it (Timothy Zahn, Mike Stackpole, Aaron Allston...). Those guys, the authors of the EU made Star Wars the mega-awesome, incredibly alive, and amazing universe that it is today. Those guys are why people are still hard-core fanatics about Star Wars.

Most Star Wars fans will tell you they hate George Lucas. Why? Because he has a lot of really stupid ideas, and he's completely disconnected with his audience (i.e. - Gungans, Ewoks, and Midichlorians).

He was throwing a tantrum with the prequels. He was basically saying, "No! These are my toys! And, I don't care that you've all done amazing things with them, they're mine. And, I'm going to do what I want with them! And, there's nothing you can do about it! Neener, neener, neener!"

And, nobody could reign him in this time.

He's the worst kind of "artist." He's the kind of artist who doesn't trust his audience, who doesn't think his audience is smart enough to get his story. He doesn't realize that once you publish or produce a work it's not "yours" anymore. Not in the strictest sense, anyway. Good writing will mean something slightly different to each person experiencing it. With the prequels, we got to see just what kind of writer Lucas was with such wonderfully cardboard lines as:

"...I have trained you since you were a small boy." Obi-Wan says this to Anakin in ROTS, like he's talking to a stranger. Like he has to explain to Anakin that they've been hanging out for the past 20 years, practically living together, forming an almost father/son relationship. Like Anakin doesn't know who Obi-Wan is or why he should listen to him.

or

"My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count." Are we watching DragonBall Z? Does Anakin have some kind of Force-o-Meter to tell him how good he is? Nobody would say that!

Mr. Lucas is breaking a fundamental rule of good writing. He's using dialogue for exposition. His characters are literally describing things in their world for the audience. Instead of letting the action tell us how ****** Anakin is, he has his character come out and quantify it for us. Instead of trusting the audience to know who Obi-Wan and Anakin are by the time ROTS comes out, he has one of his characters come out and say it. This is stuff you learn in Creative Writing 101. One doesn't use dialogue for exposition. It's bad writing, and it's insulting to your audience.

It's not enough that he makes boatloads of money off of every book/toy/videogame/comic/idea that has anything to do with Star Wars, he has to pull his wang out and remind everyone that it was his idea to start with. It's not enough that he's raking in cash off of people far more talented than he. It's not enough that people still love Star Wars because of these more talented people and the stories they've told within that universe. He can't just sit back and watch this beautiful universe unfold and grow and expand. He's got to remind everyone that it's not how he would have done it, and therefore, it's not "official."

Well, Mr. Lucas, if you had kept it all to yourself; if you had told the story the way you wanted to, nobody would ever have read/watched it. You wouldn't have an infinite revenue stream. You wouldn't have Skywalker Ranch. You wouldn't have everything you have now. You'd be that nerd in a basement writing stories and making movies for his Mom as she reads and watches patiently, knowing they're terrible but massaging your ego anyway because you don't have any friends.

Good, you're "retiring." Maybe now the universe will be just a little less stupid. Maybe now we won't have to endure things like beloved characters being killed off because you don't trust your audience to know the difference between Anakin Skywalker and Anakin Solo (because no two people in any universe have ever shared a name, George /sarcasm). Maybe now we won't have to endure gungans or the idea that teddy bears with sticks and rocks could defeat an army of trained and battle-hardened STORMTROOPERS wearing armor designed to deflect small-grade blaster fire.

You know why you get hate-mail George? It's because you're that spoiled kid everyone knew growing up. You're the kid nobody wanted to play with after about half an hour because nobody would play the way you wanted them to. You get hate-mail because even though you're that jerk, you make unlimited amounts of money. You reap the rewards of those better suited to tell this story than you, and you're upset about it! You sit on a pile of money that you don't have to work for and then have the audacity to complain about and degrade the way that money gets there.

Sure, you created the universe, bully for you. We'd like you better if you weren't such a dick about it.

Sincerely,

Myk

Don't you dear say the Ewoks were equal to Gungans, listen to this young sire

If Lucas didn't want to deal with criticism, he should have chosen another line of work. Fame and scrutiny go hand in hand when one goes into the entertainment business. Lucas helped create something that became a big part of popular culture, and clearly, he can't handle the scrutiny that's come with the fame. If he really thought that he'd get nothing but praise for everything he did no matter how poor it was, then he truly lacks understanding.

You're missing my point. There is nothing wrong with healthy criticism at all. But the personal attacks, the vitriol, the bitter self-entitled lashing out, that is neither necessary nor deserved. Just because somebody is in the public eye doesn't mean they automatically leave all emotions at the door, and some of the vile disgusting things said (how many "I wish he would die posts have we seen by people with the nerve to call themselves fans?) beg to be dismissed and thrown in the "**** you" pile.

Seriously. If I were to call you a cheat, a liar, a talentless bum who sponges off of others, a bitter spoiled money-grubbing jerk, everything you do is crap and all of your accomplishments are on other's shoulders, everybody hates working with you, I wish you would just die so this would be a better place, etc, etc you would eventually (at the very least) say "screw this ******e" and put me on ignore. Hell, most would rightfully report me. I absolutely do not blame Lucas one tiny bit for doing the same. Contrary to popular opinion, he is a human being, just like you and me.

You're missing my point. There is nothing wrong with healthy criticism at all. But the personal attacks, the vitriol, the bitter self-entitled lashing out, that is neither necessary nor deserved. Just because somebody is in the public eye doesn't mean they automatically leave all emotions at the door, and some of the vile disgusting things said (how many "I wish he would die posts have we seen by people with the nerve to call themselves fans?) beg to be dismissed and thrown in the "**** you" pile.

Seriously. If I were to call you a cheat, a liar, a talentless bum who sponges off of others, a bitter spoiled money-grubbing jerk, everything you do is crap and all of your accomplishments are on other's shoulders, everybody hates working with you, I wish you would just die so this would be a better place, etc, etc you would eventually (at the very least) say "screw this ******e" and put me on ignore. Hell, most would rightfully report me. I absolutely do not blame Lucas one tiny bit for doing the same. Contrary to popular opinion, he is a human being, just like you and me.

You make a fair point, and I respect that. There's ragers on both sides of this debate that can't seem to calm down and at least rationalize why the other side has the opinion they do (I'll freely admit I've done plenty of raging in these threads). You at least seem able to do that.

Yet there is the fact that there are certain aspects of being in the public eye that go with the territory. While I don't think that Lucas "owes" us anything, his behavior is nonetheless frustrating. When you allow the creation of a massive franchise of extended works, and openly encourage your fans to play in the universe you created, to suddenly close up and ignore the one most basic demand of the fanbase is perplexing and aggravating.

I respect his right to do what he wants with the franchise. But I can't respect a man who has spent decades referring to himself as a student of cinema, and is yet allowing the original prints of this historic work to fade and die.

I get your point, but do you really think that the *majority* of fans express such sentiments? I don't for a second think that, but I guess I'm taking a more generous view of humanity right now.

"...I have trained you since you were a small boy." Obi-Wan says this to Anakin in ROTS, like he's talking to a stranger. Like he has to explain to Anakin that they've been hanging out for the past 20 years, practically living together, forming an almost father/son relationship. Like Anakin doesn't know who Obi-Wan is or why he should listen to him.

or

"My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count." Are we watching DragonBall Z? Does Anakin have some kind of Force-o-Meter to tell him how good he is? Nobody would say that!

Sincerely,

Myk

The funny thing is, he then goes and ruins it by showing Anakin meeting Count Dooku on several occasions during his childish Clone Wars series - long prior to Dooku's death.

Whats worse is in RotS when Anakin and Obi Wan meet with General Grevious both parties act as if they have heard allot about one another, but this is they're first time of meeting, ie:

"I expected someone with your reputation to be a little older"

and

"General Grievous, your shorter than I expected"

Lucas has really lost his way. No more so than with the Clone Wars series. I've watch it every now and then, and I cringe every time the Republic beets the Separatists with ease, often due to a spectacularly 'brilliant' and 'clever' plan by Anakin, which in truth can be seen as unrealistic. Anyway, what's the point in a show in which the protagonist barely has to try to be able to win?

Then there's his nepotism, he lets his children write episodes of the Clone Wars and have camios in the films.

Why can BioWare tell a Star Wars story better than its creator?

On a side note, if there was ever to be be another film trilogy, the only books that should be considered (in my opinion) are Drew Karpyshyns: Darth Bane trillagy (Path of Destruction, Rule of Two and Dynasty of Evil). They are brilliant stories, which would work well as films and could even tie into the existing ones.

I get your point, but do you really think that the *majority* of fans express such sentiments? I don't for a second think that, but I guess I'm taking a more generous view of humanity right now.

Crossing the "Star Wars would be better off if Lucas died" line is a minority, but the rest I'd say there's a sizeable amount in hardcore fandom. (Which, to be fair, is it's own minority, but still.) Take, for example, the RedLetterMedia review you're so fond of. While there are fair points (which isn't to say I agree, just that I can agree to disagree) in there, there is also a lot that I feel crosses the line. Like I said before, trying to establish that everyone hated working with Lucas, or that he is a massive hypocrite for tinkering with his own films, or that he only made the Prequels and Special Editions to sell toys, and then cherry-picking stuff out of context to give the illusion of a point being made....that isn't fair criticism, it's attacking unfairly. So when anti-Lucas "fans" keep linking it as this definitive review? I call that propagating such sentiments, and I don't blame Lucas for saying "screw these guys." Because it isn't just reviewing his works negatively, it is attcking his character, his intergrity, his personality, and all on doctored evidence which is bias driven.

God i hate sci fi fans......I'm surprised lucas lasted as long as he did. Nitpicking douches.

Edited by TheHeadCapper

Crossing the "Star Wars would be better off if Lucas died" line is a minority, but the rest I'd say there's a sizeable amount in hardcore fandom. (Which, to be fair, is it's own minority, but still.) Take, for example, the RedLetterMedia review you're so fond of. While there are fair points (which isn't to say I agree, just that I can agree to disagree) in there, there is also a lot that I feel crosses the line. Like I said before, trying to establish that everyone hated working with Lucas, or that he is a massive hypocrite for tinkering with his own films, or that he only made the Prequels and Special Editions to sell toys, and then cherry-picking stuff out of context to give the illusion of a point being made....that isn't fair criticism, it's attacking unfairly. So when anti-Lucas "fans" keep linking it as this definitive review? I call that propagating such sentiments, and I don't blame Lucas for saying "screw these guys." Because it isn't just reviewing his works negatively, it is attcking his character, his intergrity, his personality, and all on doctored evidence which is bias driven.

The RLM reviews only speculate on how Lucas interacted with his staff during the making of the PT films. The focus of those reviews isn't on Lucas' character but his actions when making those films. It is legitimate criticism and not the insane kind of hate speech that the few rabid "fans". A lot of people (mostly ardent defenders of Lucas) can't seem to get past the Plinkett persona to actually listen to what he's saying. Again, Lucas can't seem to handle the criticism.

The RLM reviews only speculate on how Lucas interacted with his staff during the making of the PT films. The focus of those reviews isn't on Lucas' character but his actions when making those films. It is legitimate criticism and not the insane kind of hate speech that the few rabid "fans". A lot of people (mostly ardent defenders of Lucas) can't seem to get past the Plinkett persona to actually listen to what he's saying. Again, Lucas can't seem to handle the criticism.

I disagree. "Speculating" negatively on somebody's character and motivations, especially when accompanied by cherry-picked misinformation, isn't legitimate criticism.....it's borderline slander. Even taking the Plinkett persona into account, the most diplomatic thing I can say is that the comedy elements seriously compromised it's integrity as a critique.

I think the Prequels and SE's have their flaws too, but fair is fair and much of what is in that "review" is anything but fair.

Edited by Jmannseelo