Kira Carsen - Companion story bug?

Blev

Hello everyone,

I wanted to give you a quick update on this issue. We know it's been very frustrating and we appreciate your patience while we've worked to fix it.

Our next major patch should deploy to the Public Test Server pretty soon, and amongst other things, that patch should completely fix the Kira Carsen issue. After that patch has been thoroughly tested and verified we'll be deploying to the live servers; we'll announce an ETA on that when we have a confirmed date.

Again, thank you for your patience on this issue.

AWESOME news Stephen. You guys deserve more credit than some would say

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm extremely happy either way. Seven days is nothing, considering I was just about to reroll anyhow. Before Stephen's first post today, I was under the assumption that a fix for this was coming in the distant future, or possibly never.

I feel bad because you've been here right alongside me this whole time representing the rational and polite members of our class. Just think to yourself, it's only one more week...

It's one more week (actually 11 days from now, if it doesn't happen on the 10th), after several weeks. No sorry, as much as i LOVE this game (and I'm going to award it a very flattering score in my upcoming review, so no, I'm no hater), we got to be balanced, and we have to dish the tough love together with the love when warranted.

This matter was objectively handled badly. While I understand the relief you're feeling (and partly I feel it as well), communication has been way insufficent until today, and the wait has been too long. If the fix goes up on the 10th (before the first month starts to expire and people have to start paying), it'll border on the acceptable. Past that, it'll start to look worse with every day that passes.

Bioware *needs* to be reminded that this situation has been handled poorly, in order to keep the example in mind and not repeat the same error in the future, especially in the field of communication.

We all want this game to be successful, and to achieve that Bioware needs to step up it's game in this kind of stuff. By forgiving and forgetting this freely, we're not helping that.

It's one more week (actually 11 days from now, if it doesn't happen on the 10th), after several weeks. No sorry, as much as i LOVE this game (and I'm going to award it a very flattering score in my upcoming review, so no, I'm no hater), we got to be balanced, and we have to dish the tough love together with the love when warranted.

This matter was objectively handled badly. While I understand the relief you're feeling (and partly I feel it as well), communication has been way insufficent until today, and the wait has been too long. If the fix goes up on the 10th (before the first month starts to expire and people have to start paying), it'll border on the acceptable. Past that, it'll start to look worse with every day that passes.

Bioware *needs* to be reminded that this situation has been handled poorly, in order to keep the example in mind and not repeat the same error in the future, especially in the field of communication.

We all want this game to be successful, and to achieve that Bioware needs to step up it's game in this kind of stuff. By forgiving and forgetting this freely, we're not helping that.

Considering that the VAST majority of bugs fixed in the recent updates have been bugs that cause client crashes, graphical issues, lag problems, chat bugs, and exploits, I'd say it's a little hyperbolic to consider this an urgent issue. For the players whom it affects, yes, it's a problem, but we need to remember that this bug doesn't affect player mechanics, game performance, exploitable issues or anything that causes humongous gameplay problems. It's a bug that removes one companion's ability to develop in one class's story in a few particular instances.

Is it a bad thing to have happen in a game post-ship? Absolutely.

Am I upset that it happened and has it negatively affected my opinion of this game? Yes.

Is it nearly as urgent to fix as the majority (read: MAJORITY. Yes, there have been minor cosmetic things done, but these are mainly small, simple fixes like the addition of the "Darth" title) of the issues addressed by the last few patches, when you consider that they directly affected people's ability to play the game, access the client, or manage an economy? Can't say that it is.

As bugged as I am that the Devs couldn't fix this patch pre-launch, and that they were slow to react when it became apparent that it was an issue, I am fully sympathetic to the fact that it may not come out for another week or two, considering the sheer amount of game-breaking issues, which this bug, to all but the staunchest role-players, can't be said to be. It's an annoyance and a hindrance.

As bugged as I am that the Devs couldn't fix this patch pre-launch, and that they were slow to react when it became apparent that it was an issue, I am fully sympathetic to the fact that it may not come out for another week or two, considering the sheer amount of game-breaking issues, which this bug, to all but the staunchest role-players, can't be said to be. It's an annoyance and a hindrance.

You may have a very different idea than I do on what is gamebreaking. A bug that locks a large number of people out of a sizable amount of content (and the full extent of their companion romance options) can definitely classified as that, and I definitely define it very near to gamebreaking. There aren't or weren't many other bugs that have that effect.

That said, no matter how many issues there are. There's nothing that prevents or prevented Bioware to communicate the issue much, much more effectively, promptly and timely than they did, and by "much more" i mean Much More. Technical issues I can accept when they're handled as promptly as humanly possible, bad/overly slow and unresponsive customer support, not so much.

That said, I still hold hope that the patch will hit on the 10th, considering that there was no other patch on the PTS to separate the one we have now live and the one on the PTS now. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm hoping. If that happens, I'll be much more forgiving (I still not going to forget, and Bioware shouldn't as well, there are a lot of lessons to be learned in this thread for their CS).

Edited by Abriael

You may have a very different idea than I do on what is gamebreaking. A bug that locks a large number of people out of a sizable amount of content (and the full extent of their companion romance options) can definitely classified as that, and I definitely define it very near to gamebreaking. There aren't or weren't many other bugs that have that effect.

Let's go ahead and put this into perspective, because the main difference here is the use of a term like "sizable amount of content."

This bug locks out one companion's story. One companion's story, I believe, ONLY on male characters. You have 5 companions, the other 4 of whom still have fully functional stories. These stories consist of a few missions and cutscenes each.

Considering you have an entire class story, innumerable planet stories, PVP, Flashpoints, Operations, crafting, and 4 other companion stories, AS WELL AS seven other classes worth of each of those. I would never define this as a sizable amount of content.

I would describe it as an "aesthetically important piece of content." Compared to a bug that keeps another portion of the playerbase from actually PLAYING the game, it's a teeny, tiny thing, that just happens to affect a very important story moment. You can enjoy every other facet of the game (unless you're saving class story to see if Kira has any romance-exclusive things to say) without it.

Again, it's a big issue. Not one that affects a huge, dramatic chunk of gameplay, like the bug that kept people from zoning into raids. It affects a personally important part of the game to those who are invested in the romance arc, an issue which affects, yes, a large number of people, but not the community as a whole.

I'm still upset that it's happening, but I'm keeping perspective, because while I'm personally affected, the other three guys in my apartment have dealt with far more serious bugs that left them unable to play the game as a whole.

Let's go ahead and put this into perspective, because the main difference here is the use of a term like "sizable amount of content."

This bug locks out one companion's story. One companion's story, I believe, ONLY on male characters. You have 5 companions, the other 4 of whom still have fully functional stories.

None of which is romanceable, a widely advertised feature that also happens to be a staple of BioWare games (and don't get me started on having most classes with only one romanceable option per gender, because it's one of my very few major gripes, and it's another issue entirely).

Your perspective is simply different than mine. Besides, nothing you say really justifies how badly this issue has been handled communication-wise. That's a majorly determining factor when patience runs out.

Mine is very near to running out, simply. It won't make me quit the game, it won't make me hate Bioware, but I will set my foot down and say "Sorry BioWare, I love you guys, and I (almost) always did, but this issue, and quite a few others I'm seeing have been handled very poorly. This is something you need to learn from".

I'm very much wishing this game all sorts of success, and that's exactly why I'm not willing to be too forgiving. If they want to compete at the top level they need to step up their game in this field of operation.

We'll simply have to agree to disagree.

Edited by Abriael

None of which is romanceable, a widely advertised feature that also happens to be a staple of BioWare games (and don't get me started on having most classes with only one romanceable option per gender, because it's one of my very few major gripes, and it's another issue entirely).

Your perspective is simply different than mine. Besides, nothing you say really justifies how badly this issue has been handled communication-wise. That's a majorly determining factor when patience runs out.

Mine is very near to running out, simply. It won't make me quit the game, it won't make me hate Bioware, but I will set my foot down and say "Sorry BioWare, I love you guys, and I (almost) always did, but this issue, and quite a few others I'm seeing have been handled very poorly. This is something you need to learn from".

I'm very much wishing this game all sorts of success, and that's exactly why I'm not willing to be too forgiving. If they want to compete at the top level they need to step up their game in this field of operation.

We'll simply have to agree to disagree.

Oh, as far as communication goes, I agree 100%. As much flak as it would have given them, a clear statement of "it's on our list, below this, this and this" would have been much appreciated.

But as far as DELAYING romance for a single gender of a single class if a single option was chosen, it's a small bug that doesn't break anything for me, it just postpones it. That's really the only way I can see it, a minor gripe for the storyline which, while important, doesn't interfere with gameplay, balance, or economy. I'm bummed, but I'd be more than bummed if it were a serious balance issue or an exploit that got pushed back to a further patch, ya know? So yeah, I'll have to agree to disagree there.

Nuff Said. Can we wait a few more days guys?

As I said above, it depends if it's "a few" (IE: on the 10th) or "several" (IE: On the 17th).

In the first case the answer is definitely yes. In the second is still yes (because I'm forced to wait anyway), but it won't be a happy time.

So i'm just about to leave Coruscant, but i had to unfortunatel spoil myself on her brother quest to make sure i avoid this bug.

SO i must not flirt with her over the holo terminal but flirt with her afterwards in person? Is this how to avoid her bug?

So i'm just about to leave Coruscant, but i had to unfortunatel spoil myself on her brother quest to make sure i avoid this bug.

SO i must not flirt with her over the holo terminal but flirt with her afterwards in person? Is this how to avoid her bug?

The Dark Side Flirt is fixed. I used it this evening and got the three conversations immediately afterward. The same three that I never received on my previous (bugged) Guardian. Her story will stop until the end of Act I after those conversations, however.

You're not bugged and the dialogue is fixed.

e: The Defector is given when you leave Nar Shaddaa, you have a bit to go yet.

Edited by SidisAran

Just to be clear, you performed the dark side flirts and the kiss, and there will be no more conversations with her until act 1 is finished?

Yeah, I returned from The Defector, used the Dark Side flirt and received three conversations, including a kiss. Three conversations more than my bugged Jedi had. This was at 3k affection. I'm now at 5k affection, level 25 and running through Tatooine. Most people have said the end of Act I to continue her dialogue and looking at the main storyline, it makes sense.

My bugged Guardian is 38, my (fixed) reroll is 25. I'm a little torn up now, I wish they'd confirm if the patch will drop on Tuesday. If it does it would make more sense to stop leveling.

On another note this is the first set of patch notes that I've been genuinely excited about. I'll give them a week or two, then I'm off to complain about being stuck on medium textures! :rolleyes:

I wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I read this on Game Update 1.1

Game Update 1.1

Here is what is says regarding Kira Carsen:

Kira Carsen

Fixed an issue that caused players to be unable to progress in Kira’s affection conversations. Players previously affected by this issue can now speak to Kira and progress normally.'

I thought it was safe to go ahead with the dark side flirt. That conversation ended with her saying she almost kissed me. I have never received another conversation with her. No romance after dark side flisrt in which the patch notes definitely said in my opinion that it was fixed. My affection is over 5500/10000.

My bugged Guardian is 38, my (fixed) reroll is 25. I'm a little torn up now, I wish they'd confirm if the patch will drop on Tuesday. If it does it would make more sense to stop leveling.

On another note this is the first set of patch notes that I've been genuinely excited about. I'll give them a week or two, then I'm off to complain about being stuck on medium textures! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply! I'll agree with you, this is a very welcome patch. Regarding Patch 1.1, Mr. Reid implied earlier that since it hasn't been deployed to the test server yet to not expect it to hit the main servers next week (I removed some excess text at the top):

A patch would be deployed during a regular maintenance period, but this Tuesday is unlikely - the patch isn't on our Public Test Server yet. When it is, we'll want to give it time to be thoroughly tested as there's a lot more in this patch than just this fix. The ETA for the patch to move to the live servers isn't 'weeks' though, and we'll update you (probably mid next-week) with more accurate timing.

I wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I read this on Game Update 1.1

Game Update 1.1

Here is what is says regarding Kira Carsen:

Kira Carsen

Fixed an issue that caused players to be unable to progress in Kira’s affection conversations. Players previously affected by this issue can now speak to Kira and progress normally.'

I thought it was safe to go ahead with the dark side flirt. That conversation ended with her saying she almost kissed me. I have never received another conversation with her. No romance after dark side flisrt in which the patch notes definitely said in my opinion that it was fixed. My affection is over 5500/10000.

Patch 1.1 has only been deployed to the test server. The only fix in place on live servers is from patch 1.0.1 on December 27 that corrected the DS flirt bug for players doing the flirt after the 27th.

Edited by randomballoon

ANNDDDD people are still complaining

good lord people, it's not like Stephen's message was the only one, they gave us numerous updates. what happened to patience in society?

patience went out the window when i bugged this in july, then august, then sept, then oct....

see where i'm going with this?? Am i glad its finally being fixed? yes. should it have taken anywhere near this long? absolutly not. should they (bw) have better relayed how high it was on their priority list it was? yes. obviously it wasnt anywhere near the top during beta.

Yeah, I returned from The Defector, used the Dark Side flirt and received three conversations, including a kiss. Three conversations more than my bugged Jedi had. This was at 3k affection. I'm now at 5k affection, level 25 and running through Tatooine. Most people have said the end of Act I to continue her dialogue and looking at the main storyline, it makes sense.

Well you get your wish cause in this patch anti aliasing is going in. Woot!!

Edited by DigitalMaster

This new patch on the test server is the rock. :D

Kira is finally gonna getting a fix which we all have looked forward to, and AA is getting enabled.

Kira honey, we are all coming to get ya. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's funny thou because

you get to romance Kira, but on the starter planet you grass on those padawan lovers if you choose that option to spill the beans on them. LOL

Edited by Maccaz