Is has potential, but too many features are missing

Dreossk

Wow. Reading that post was actually depressing. I didn't realize how far off the mark they were in terms of a living Star Wars MMO.

I remember when I first heard about this game, and even up until release, I had this image in my mind of all the amazing adventures I would partake in this new Star Wars universe... what universe? I've been trying to put my finger on the problem and you nailed it - the world is dead in this game.

BioWare threw a majority of their resources at the voice-over content and it is second to none, but unfortunely that's about the only immersive part I felt while playing this game. I would trade it all for a living, breathing Star Wars universe that I actually felt a part of.

To make a point, I have been a HUGE Jedi Knight fanboi for as long as I could remember. When the class was announced, I knew exactly what I was going to be. I had plans for my Knight and it was going to be epic. The game was released and the story was pretty good, but I didn't feel a real connection with my character or the world I was playing in. In fact, I felt such a disconnection, that I rerolled a Sith Warrior JUST because the Empire side drew in the better players. I do not like the Empire, nor do I care for being a Sith Warrior, but that must say something about the immersion in this game when I can look past those things in favor of a better endgame experience; Because that is the only experience that exists once you hit lvl 50: Warzones and Operations while sitting in the Fleet all day. There is no reason to go back to any of the planets outside of Dailies.

This is Star Wars afterall, so where is the fantasy and adventure?

Edited by Abominant

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Reading that post was actually depressing. I didn't realize how far off the mark they were in terms of a living Star Wars MMO.

I remember when I first heard about this game, and even up until release, I had this image in my mind of all the amazing adventures I would partake in this new Star Wars universe... what universe? I've been trying to put my finger on the problem and you nailed it - the world is dead in this game.

BioWare threw a majority of their resources at the voice-over content and it is second to none, but unfortunely that's about the only immersive part I felt while playing this game. I would trade it all for a living, breathing Star Wars universe that I actually felt a part of.

To make a point, I have been a HUGE Jedi Knight fanboi for as long as I could remember. When the class was announced, I knew exactly what I was going to be. I had plans for my Knight and it was going to be epic. The game was released and the story was pretty good, but I didn't feel a real connection with my character or the world I was playing in. In fact, I felt such a disconnection, that I rerolled a Sith Warrior JUST because the Empire side drew in the better players. I do not like the Empire, nor do I care for being a Sith Warrior, but that must say something about the immersion in this game when I can look past those things in favor of a better endgame experience; Because that is the only experience that exists once you hit lvl 50: Warzones and Operations while sitting in the Fleet all day. There is no reason to go back to any of the planets outside of Dailies.

This is Star Wars afterall, so where is the fantasy and adventure?

Indeed... All the planets just feel like levels from Mario - you clear the quests and enemies, and that's it. No need to explore, no non-combat features, nothing to discover, vendors are just generic planet-sets, one major settlement and numerous speeder points - sub-levels. It's just depressing on how the game isn't a universe to play in, it's just a series of lifeless levels... Once cleared at level 50, there's nothing left in the universe.

• 2 weeks later...
OP I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I had fun the first couple of times leveling but was always very bored looking at the same mobs doing nothing and the sheer barren feeling of the worlds. In other games I have played the worlds had a breath of life in them with things happening and moving around; dynamic weather is also something I want to see, it's almost as if the planets are frozen in time. The way the questing is set up completely broke the game for me, while I love the voice overs and cut-scenes, there is no choice in where I can quest. I had to do the same world quests over and over; while they are enjoyable 2-3 times it becomes tedious afterwards and i find myself skipping as much as possible to the class-quests. While I think this game can become a living breathing Star Wars universe, I am gonna have to wait and give it time; I really hope they get it right because the potential is there.

i really like this game, but the OP is so right on all this, the problem is that you almost describe a complete remake of the game, witch i dont even know if they engine could handle it.

and with the time it takes them to develop things, all this you talk about its but a nice dream, maybe in 2/3 years.. if is that SWTOR still exist by then... so discouraging, wish BW could say something. and not just *coming soon*

Maybe it's just me, but from day 1 when they announced the total voice-over design, I thought "Cool, it'll be a multiplayer Mass Effect with the KotOR setting". And as far as I can see, they nailed that exactly. Thoughts that it would bring a new level of PvP, or be the next SWG, are, in my opinion, wishful thinking based on what players wanted rather than what BW was talking about.

So maybe I just lucked out and got what I wanted myself... But in any case, I play SWTOR for the storyline, period. I don't PvP or raid (and yes, I have a L50). I don't really need any of the features that the OP wrote about. In particular, I find day/night cycles annoying. And the lack of "crowds" of NPCs is probably more due to performance reasons than anything else. (FYI, I didn't find myself really enjoying either Fallout 3 nor Oblivion, so I don't think I'd find open world exploring all that interesting either.)

The only thing I'm looking for over time is more story content (note: not ops, not flashpoints, not heroics). I don't even particularly care if they raise the level cap.

Great post.

The world need to be more lively. Maybe focus on the capitals first ( I liked the alliance capital in the game that shall not be named)

Please make the capital the HQ, just remove the fleet....

Edit: I like theme park in this game (story!!!), though there should be some features to help make it more "sandboxie"

Edited by ZaRree

Maybe it's just me, but from day 1 when they announced the total voice-over design, I thought "Cool, it'll be a multiplayer Mass Effect with the KotOR setting". And as far as I can see, they nailed that exactly. Thoughts that it would bring a new level of PvP, or be the next SWG, are, in my opinion, wishful thinking based on what players wanted rather than what BW was talking about.

The problem is they specifically said the game would contain every expected AAA MMO features and they couldn't deliver 1/5 of that so it's not wishful thinking, it's failed expectations and lies from the devs.

Edited by Dreossk

The problem is they specifically said the game would contain every expected AAA MMO features and they couldn't deliver 1/5 of that so it's not wishful thinking, it's failed expectations and lies from the devs.

Agreed 100%

This makes no sense?? Do you hve a list of all the AAA MMO features that an MMO must contain and also statments from the Devs claiming they would all be added??

No??

Didn't think so.. So there is no lie on the devs part..

Can anyone here name an existing MMO that has two destinct modes of play?? (IE. Space combat & character play) I can't think of one.. But if there is one I would like to know..

Can anyone name an MMO that has this kind of story and character depth to go along with story.. Companions, romance with companions, getting gear for companions??

No??

I can't either..

Who cares if the planets don't cycle from day to night.. There is no rule book that says we should have it..

WOW had essentually 2 worlds to deal with.. Out land and Azeroth.. This game has how many?? A lot more than 2 I can tell you that?? WOW put both worlds on the same day nigh cycle.. That wouldn't work out so well for Star Wars..

It just seems to me that so many people want to complain about what they didn't get from other games and not focus on what this game gave you that other games didn't.. Innovation is all about doing things that other games didn't do.. Not about doing everything they did do..

There are no features missing in this game.. That isn't to say that adding other features couldn't or wouldn't make it better.. But none are missing.. If anything, a lot of things are missing in other MMO's..

Edited by MajikMyst

when wow started they had to merge some servers cause the popluation on them died, i was on one of those servers. they had no day/night cycles nor weather of any kind. it had no endgame and when they finaly did they did the same stuff over and over for 8 years. it didnt start with pvp other than walk into enemy territory and get *****.

they had no cross server pvp or pve queues untill about 4 years into it. there is no exploration you just fly over everything and they destroid the only good world pvp they had, anyone remember hillsbrad foothills in the begining?

yet everyone wants to compair Tor to all these MMO's with close to or over a decade under their belts...

This makes no sense?? Do you hve a list of all the AAA MMO features that an MMO must contain and also statments from the Devs claiming they would all be added??

Claiming that pretty much indeed ruined them before it even started. Expectations were too high and we already knew they were lying. At release (in beta for others), we got the proof.

As for the rest of your list, a game with space and land combat already existed: SWG, the game that SWTOR should have tried to improve upon instead of copying another one and dumbing down everything.

Edited by Dreossk

Claiming that pretty much indeed ruined them before it even started. Expectations were too high and we already knew they were lying. At release (in beta for others), we got the proof.

I look forward to you posting it then.. I was in the beta since July of last year.. I have spoken with the devs directly in the beta forums..

They said nothing to let anyone believe they would be getting more than they did.. So calling them a liar is simply a lie in of itself..

I already said it. Hearing that the game is going to contain every features expected for a AAA MMO is hard to believe and that's what happened when they said it, we didn't believe it, and we were right. It doesn't contain half of the features of the previous MMO let alone many other important features from other great MMOs. Edited by Dreossk

As for the rest of your list, a game with space and land combat already existed: SWG, the game that SWTOR should have tried to improve upon instead of copying another one and dumbing down everything.

i love seeing this complaint entirely because it makes much more business sense to emulate a successful formula than to copy a failure. swg was a failure in every way. its part of the reason why they ended up with the cu+nge. even jtl as is often hyped, was a failure. its an incredibly small audience, and was a bolted on mess that didnt integrate with galaxies at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Very well written post and I agree for 101% with about anything. I hope Bioware definetely takes note of this as these features you've summed up would give TOR a huge boost and would make it far, far better of a game (atleast for me, that is). However, I do very well realise that it is idle hope to see any of these features and definetely not in the near future. As of right now, I am still enjoying the game thoroughly, playing every storyline doing a bit of end-game content here and there. But I know there is going to come an end to that and more quickly than in other MMOs.

• 2 weeks later...
I totally argree with your post the game is fun but its missing small but fun things like you mentioned and when a speeder got 2 seats why can't you have a friend or companion in the other seat? Housing is something I miss it dosn't fit the SWG way into TOR but our ships should be more costumizble like outside and indoors colors and maybe add "collections" like paintings/pictures of famed characther players can find ingame for their ship as well as they can take pictures of themself to hang on the wall in their proudest moments, and a legacy tree picture.

when wow started they had to merge some servers cause the popluation on them died, i was on one of those servers. they had no day/night cycles nor weather of any kind. it had no endgame and when they finaly did they did the same stuff over and over for 8 years. it didnt start with pvp other than walk into enemy territory and get *****.

they had no cross server pvp or pve queues untill about 4 years into it. there is no exploration you just fly over everything and they destroid the only good world pvp they had, anyone remember hillsbrad foothills in the begining?

yet everyone wants to compair Tor to all these MMO's with close to or over a decade under their belts...

You just wrote what I think about these complains on SWTOR.

I didn't played the wow since the beginning, but people still forget how new is SWTOR on this market and it is the first BW MMO.

The problem is not the game at all, are the people who don't give time to the game evolve.

And I'll quote another issue:

If this game had 400 npcs on screen with dynamic weather and active day night cycle it would require an i5 2500k and a 500 series card to run.

Then you wouldnt be able to play it.

Edited by nkgc

• 2 months later...
So many features in the OP's list are irrelevant. Swimming, day/night cycle just to name a couple that would do absolutely nothing to improve the game if implemented. BioWare, these ought to be on the bottom of your list, if not discarded into the trash can and ignored entirely. There are a truckload of other important issues to address before discussion on these should even be considered.

I have alot of ideas and this may seem like rambling, but I have tons of ideas of what I would like to see happen with this game and feel free to use these since I am offering them. I want to first say that this is easily one of the better MMo's I have played and I have played them since Everquest pre-Kunark up to it much later expansions and continued to play others like DAoC, SWG, WoW, Rift, etc. Storywise this game beats them all both in content and possible growth. The central story for each class is well developed and draws a player in, in fact I have three level 50's already and almost a forth and plan on playing each class; however, It's the growth I would like to focus on and being a Star Wars fanboy I want to see this game become the pinnacle of the market. I would like to start with the suggestion to just offer more then 6 to seven heriocs on each planet expand this to around 15-20 which will encourage grouping but also keep the deep solo fantastic play for those who have different focuses of play and time. This is a great solo MMo but needs more groupable content to push the MMo aspect is all. Offer Truce raids for guilds since so many have both Republic and Imperial members to face a greater threat to the galaxy then once side could face alone for operations. Continue to offer more Operations for end content for guilds. Offer side events, like Pazzak in the cantinas and bars for fun play and for those that want to earn titles or gamble a bit since many heroes in the Star Wars universe were card sharks and scoundrels, let players be able to explore that fantasy and help to create their own story too with that and it doesn't need to even effect the class stories. Have Turret conflicts like you did in the Kotor games so instead of just flying a ship, let the player also experience a space battle from the perspective of a gunner and use the experience reward line that you would for a ship mission. Keep the Ship rail missions but also offer off rails missions to test the skill of the player and this could also be expanded to ship operations to take out a space station or super large classed vessal that are groupable events. Maybe even dogfight missions for PVP content with ship battles. Bring back Swoop racing have rankings on some of the Hutt controlled planets for side content. There is a weatlh of planets in the Star Wars universe so I will just bring-up Dathomir for some horror themed questing would be nice, facing the Dark Sisters, relics and artifacts, and/or exploring the ruins of Kessel and Dantoonie (ground zero of a Jedi massacre). Try expanding into enviroments where we have to consider equipment to adjust to them like underwater or vaccuum worlds (again there are many). I know Revan is not gone and I recognize Force-walking when I see it so explore him more. I like the legacy system but it should be more than just credit base and rank based, let us earn xp too to use for customization of abilities. For example, I would like my Sith Warrior to have force speed to run and close the gap faster which would cost me 5 points ot purchase or a my defense sill has a 10% greater chance to reflect blaster fire back to my opponent for like 10 points. Each point is like a levels worth of xp to achieve similiar to Alternate advancement like in other games. I would like to end this post with asking for more abilities slots on the interface 30 is just not enough to tell the truth.

Thank you for your time and consideration

Edited by Ardous
Misspellings

• 3 months later...