Is has potential, but too many features are missing

Dreossk

The game just isn't ready right now, the game is missing way too many things, I'm too restricted and on everyplanet I'm surrounded by quest hubs, no hang out spots, no cities to own, just plain walk around and do a job/quest then your done basically. This is just a little advanced version of kotor2, thats all. If they rerelease swg, I'm headin back to that. swg only needs one server and they'd be fine,

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have posted ALOT OF GREAT PVP and other ideas... Allow me to cut and past....

1. Lets have SW like battles in open world trying to gain control of cities, space hubs, and what not. During the time line of this game Sith and Republic are fighting a big war, where are the PVP battles? Only on WZ's?

A. Gain control of cities and gain credits, buffs, resources that are ONLY available on those planets, just what ever.

B. To help out with the population differences, why not give the side that has less on that server a buff to help balance the playing field. Maybe a sort of "rally" that last like 30 mins in an effort to take a city from the other side that greatly outnumbers you. And the more they outnumber you on that server, the greater the buffs.

2. Where are the space battles in pvp. So this game has pvp ONLY on WZ's? Not star wars. No way anyone can say this is a good idea to have pvp in only WZ's. Read the comments about 1.2, they are going to concentrate on WZ's. This is REALLY BAD. Nothing for pvp servers?

A. Ship to ship battles, boarding ships and attacking via pvp in an attempt to "collect that ship to use it for you side" or just blow it up and only salvage small amounts of resources for it.

B. Lets have space stations battles. Space stations could be in place to stop trade and travel in and out of those planets. So in order to launch an assault on the planets surface, you gotta destroy the space station (similar to the Death Star). Or maybe destroy or capture (capturing gives your side more resources or the option to use that ship against the enemy via NPC's controlling it and going after the enemy).

3. I mentioned blocking trade, yes lets have trade. The more planets and or moons or what ever your side controls, the more trade they can have and the more money one would get with questing or doing WZ's because the more your side would be able to pay you.

A. Capturing a planet and keeping it should require that side to kill officer NPC's, maybe take over a "throne room like in naboo during SW EP 1", and there fore the winning side that is capturing the planet would place there presences via NPC's there, and maybe "install" a new governor. And to completely block trade, there fore decreasing the money supply or npc supply of the enemy, the side now defending would need to place captial ships and cruisers or maybe a space station created by the very ships you captured or from the resources you salvaged when you destroyed a ship. Buffs should be placed on the nps and ships as well for the "Under dog" of that server to balance the playing field. If no cruisers or space stations are placed, a complete block on trade can not happen. Travel to the planet would continue for both sides, but once the defending side places a capital ship and or space station, travel and trade would both be stopped for the "attacking side".

4. Calls to actions should be annoced via chat or other, perhaps using the holoconfrence that you can using in group, or what ever. This should be automatic. In other words

A. When a defending sides city is under attack, a call to action would automaticly happen, unless turned off by the player. If that player would choose to act and help defend that planet, then they should have the option or going to there ship automaticly or planet automaticly like the PVP WZ's. Maybe a gathering point to gather pvp quests like "Kill x numbers of enemy PLAYERS".

B. A call the attack should also happen similarl like this, if a group of players (lets say 8 or more) decide to attack they can launch a call for help to take the city. At that time, the announcement should happen to everyone on that server for that side, if they have that option turned on.

5. Defending cities. We should be able to....

A. Build turrets with the resorces we have collected for our side. Turret costs should be placed on a sliding scale... for example the more republic on that server should make turrets cost more. The less should make turrets cost less therefore balancing game play for the under dogs of that server.

B. NPC's should be able to be placed by using money, therefore if you block trade you also slow down the number of npc's that can be purchased.

Copied and pasted from a previous post I creadted.....

Have you ever played Arma II and its online multiplayer mode "warfare"?

If not, look on youtube for some videos, or even better, try it yourself!

That done, imagine this kind of mode applied to SWTOR...

That would just be the best PVP mode ever seen in any MMOs...

Execellent points made - can you add

Footprints - Yeah, have you wondered why you hear the crunch of snow uder your foot on Hoth and Ilum but not a trace on the ground. This leads to the sensation of "floating" detached from the environment. Such a silly oversight in my honest opinion. You trek over the dunes on tatooine - not a line in the sand.

I do mostly agree with OP. And i bow the head to the work you've made to create this post. Many ideas gathered here, that are worth implementing.

However, as i have an arguing going on in my way more negative thread, i have a question: did you (any of you) have any kind of feedback from the developer, BW, that you have been heard? I really want to go into positive thinking, but after guild summit results and what happens to the game now i hardly can.

Edited by UndeadKing

Footprints would be great...dynamic weather would be good also.

Options to change skill colours (e.g. Flame blast has a green tint) armour colour changes would be nice and some Armstech schematics would be even better.

Edited by mat-ster

OP's post explains what I've wanted to write for a long time.

Immersion, purpose for worlds and areas other than just killing, actually useful crafting, interactive environments, player-economy freedom are all sadly lacking and the game feels a bit tunnel-like.

Hit 50 and the Ops and FPs are fun, but.. is that all? There's only so much enjoyment in crafting for low level guildmates before going off to do the next trawl for gear. I need a reason to go explore the galaxy, discover new settlements that have specific vendors selling gear other than just that from a set list for that planet, find new crafting options and resources, and generally change the game world in some way - it's all just static and unaffected by everything. All the galaxy except for the daily mission trawl areas is just an empty husk once each area has been used up for its quests and levelling.

I agree with a almost everything you said.

Some counterpoints though:

1) They are actually working on a lot of things for guilds now: guild ships, logos, etc.

2) I understand why SWTOR (and this applies to WoW too) doesn't have houses. It only really works in smaller MMOs because they amount of extra instances that would be created for houses would be catastrophic for the servers! They just can't take another 2,000 extra instances and textures. It's just too much. At least, I think so. Though I'm no expert.

3) The things you mention will take time and they may have been planning to do that anyway, just not right away. They can't do everything by launch and so you have to give it some time.

I like this post very much and I think that any hate posts should be removed. I hope BioWare reads and takes serious consideration in this.

Think ive already posted in here somewhere....

But again, great thread O.P.....

If the Devs here could implement half of this, SWG would be the best MMO ever.....OOOO did I say SWG, Sorry I meant SWTOR.

SWG did have most of this...SWTOR doesn't.

To avoid quoting everything I am going to remove everything but the head line unless I specifically want to address something in the large paragraph.

Dead world

I play on a lower end machine... and don't have the money to get a new one. (I know learn2fixtheeconomy noob). All those features screamed one thing to me... LAG. I think this would be a frustration to a lot of people... and people don't like tinkering with their interface settings more than they need to.

I wouldn't mind enemies looking like they are doing things when you aren't attacking them. Be it soldiers patrolling, or animals grazing... but them hanging out in certain areas is good because of those sudden trips AFK that come with living in the real world.

Exploration

Exploration is currently really hard to do. You want to go explore that coast? Chances are good that you are going to enter an exhaustion zone and die, even if you are on land and unaffected by weather. The lands are filled with invisible walls and useless limitations. Most structures are unclimbable or simply inaccessible. As said in previous point, we need more non-fighting zones to go to.

I can see the annoyance here... but what should they place in those zones if not things to kill? I like the idea but I want to see where it is going.

Day/night cycle

Dynamic weather

I will address these together. I am assuming you are ok omitting planets that aren't supposed to have, as you seem to be big on immersion. it for lore reasons.

Either way... there are certain aspects of the story that I am sure are better in the current setting. Fighting a "story boss" who you have been chasseing, for example. As you are backed to the edge of a cliff you hear the lightning in the backround and rain poring down… much better than if there is a sunset or rainbow behind you. I don't think I am using a real in game example... but I can see how permanent weather could be better in those cases.

PvP

The LAST things I want to see is the planet I am trying to level on get capped by the other faction Not much of anything anyone in the proper level range can do to beat a guild of 50s, and all I can do is wait until my faction recaptures it… I think enough people leveling up would quickly get frustrated if they were paying $14.99 per month to beg the high levels to attack the planet they need to quest on.

With that said I would love to see some planets added that game wise exist for the sole purpose of the Republic and Sith fighting over and bonuses given to the faction that controls them... like rare resources, buffs etc. These would not be level up zones, they would be made just for ]50s to go to war on.

Space & vehicle

I personally hate the current space combat system but that is a matter of opinion and there is nothing stopping me from leveling other ways. I was hoping to see something that could be done with the traditional MMO controls (I don't want to play a twitch fighter pilot game)... I still would like to see that with guild capital ships and boarding the enemies frigates to capture them... or having the choice to destroy it from the outside instead… I personally want space combat that uses the same control scheme and land combat… with some options for PVP tactics.

I wouldn't mind two seater speeders... but needing to wait for it to autopiolet over to me isn't worth the extra time it takes to get there IMO.

Interface & graphics[/quote}

I agree with needing more than two windows... I think with my computer needing to use lower resolution it wouldn't work for me but should be avialable for others. That should be changed I agree 100%.

Character

I think with the story the restrictions are kind of necessary. I wouldn't mind some being added in the future when/if new classes are added. (IE Droid for a battle droid class or what not., long as it makes sense for the lore. Granted the legacy system would mess with that… but oh well it is designed to.

The weapon system didn’t receive any innovation either. A class will have a certain weapon proficiency and it will keep that for all the game. The rockets, grenades, laser shots, beams and electricity all come out of the same barrel.

The bounty hunter has a jetpack, that’s great, only he can’t use it at all to access restricted places or jump higher, the Force users can’t use their ability on the world either.

At this point the game play needs outweigh the lore... would require a massive world redesign, and other classes would need to be given something similar, in order for this to work. It keeps the loot tables separate so you don’t have to roll against everyone.

The cover system is years behind the current standards and requires the player to go to a specific location instead of allowing to take cover anywhere and behind anything and it is restricted to two classes.

Game play wise, giving the cover system to other classes would be like giving stealth to all classes... Would take away the uniqeness of the class it was made for. Although it makes sense that troopers know how to use cover gameplay wise it would remove to much of what makes the smuggler/ Imperial Agent the classes they are.

The current item modification is a good step in the right direction but a complete appearance tab system is missing. We should be able to change the color, change logos, have clothes on top of armor and be able to have multiple gear setups for social, combat or events.

Could someone with more computer knowledge tell me how this would affect lower end machines? I like the idea... if it does not lag the portion of the player base that does not have money to drop on a new machine.

At the very least I would like to see 3-5 color schemes for each set. Even if it is not fully customizable the option to pick between a few different schemes doesn't sound like it would be to hard but I am not a progammer.

Guild

No guild ship, no guild HQ, nowhere private and special to go. They are going to add a guild bank, that’s good, but we also need to be able to wear a guild symbol like an emblem, logo, piece of equipment or maybe even a rank patch. Having a guild is really just a permanent group chat.

I agree with the guild capital ship and want to see it integrated into the game in other ways... IE after you beat a flashpoint someone you rescue comes to the ship and sells you stuff/provides services. A droid that starts out near useless but through the investment and accomplishments of the guild gets upgraded to do many things cheaper or not available, outside of a guild. Guild ships would be nice.

Endgame

Raid again or PvP again. Most MMO do that mistake. These things are dev-made and have an end, a limit. We must have ways to make our own content, RP tools, possibility to make events, housing, collections, achievements, these things can keep people busy for a long time and if made correctly they can never end. I don’t plan to stay in the game if it’s to log and wait between raids and PvP events. Quests and stories have and end, we must be able to create.

I think allowing some interior ship customization would be nice... but no SWG style Permanente housing. I don't want to run through what is supposed to be an empty area and feel like I am running through New York City. Being someone who prefers PVE content I am not sure how much I want dedicated to this… but that is a play style difference so difference are going to be expected.

Once I find a PVP team (if I do) I tend to look at the battlegrounds more like sporting events. Although the rules and tactics might be the same each time, constantly adjusting to new opponents brings the challenge and fun so the repetativeness is negated. But yes... Pugging over and over again sucks.

Housing

As long as it is in the ship I like the idea. Would like to be able to set old gear out for display for those sentimental things that the player does not want to sell.

[Crafting

The current discovery system is too random, we need more control. The resources could have stats and qualities, that would allow dedicated crafters to be famous across the galaxy and people would go look specifically for their items. I remember that weaponsmith in SWG that was known for the good materials he used in crafting guns. I made the trip to Naboo then went far in the wilds to find his shop and buy stuff from his vendor then I could see him in the backstore, crafting and working, that was great and I actually felt I was in a real world.

I don't want this game to become to crafting centered... I don't mind crafters making the best gear in one or two slots... I think that would be a lot more frustrating for anyone who does not play the game primarily for crafting.

Conclusion

Evidently we have different ideas for this game... or different though processes. I never liked the idea behind SWG... but it is understandable that its former players want much of it brought into future games. I think Bioware needs to be careful to make sure they don’t raise the minimum requirements for this game until an expansion makes it needed.

Edited by Crazy_Person

OP, your post is amazing and should be read asap. Can I ask you a question, what do you think of the animations system and it's impact on the game's combat ? E.g. melee, casting running etc

OP, your post is amazing and should be read asap. Can I ask you a question, what do you think of the animations system and it's impact on the game's combat ? E.g. melee, casting running etc

I know about the whole animation delay issue but that's not something I notice really. I mean, I know the combat is a lot slower and less interactive and fun than let's say Champions Online but I don't think that's what people were talking about.

Edited by Dreossk

The OP is a list of wants.. Not needs.. Nobody needs chat bubbles to talk to one another.. Nobody needs day night cycles on the planets.. Nobody needs swimming.. Nobody needs dynamic weather.. No guild needs guild ships.. Although they have been confirmed at a later time.. This isn't Star Wars Galaxies.. I really wish people would stop trying to make this game into a game that it isn't.. This isn't WOW either..

Chat bubbles would only be acceptable if someone had the option to turn them off.. Bubbles are a performance nightmare and we already have to many people that have performance issues.. Which is why they were removed from the beta..

If you can't use chat, then chat bubbles isn't going to save you.. ;)

The OP is a list of wants.. Not needs.. Nobody needs chat bubbles to talk to one another.. Nobody needs day night cycles on the planets.. Nobody needs swimming.. Nobody needs dynamic weather.. No guild needs guild ships.. Although they have been confirmed at a later time.. This isn't Star Wars Galaxies.. I really wish people would stop trying to make this game into a game that it isn't.. This isn't WOW either..

Chat bubbles would only be acceptable if someone had the option to turn them off.. Bubbles are a performance nightmare and we already have to many people that have performance issues.. Which is why they were removed from the beta..

If you can't use chat, then chat bubbles isn't going to save you.. ;)

Buddy... you're missing the whole point...

Nobody needs to play SWTOR. Nobody has a chronic illness with SWTOR being the treatment. We play it because we want to. And we want to have fun. So if SWTOR becomes a need for you, you need help.

Couldn't have said it better myself. So many things here and there, taking away any chance of immersion and a feeling of a living World.

And no I cannot "Just play the game" when it feels so rushed and half-assed. Don't Care for spoken dialogs when this money could have gone into so many things that improve the overall quality of the game.

* Creating a fully customizable interface,

* Planets, REAL planets that are a bit larger than a city, not corridors that don't even invite you to explore.

* Background music.

* Variety of armours. Seriously leveling up a BH from 1 to 50, everything looked like a copy of four different designs.

* Player characters that don't look the same with different masks and tattoos on.

* LS/DS points that don't practically force you to grind one or the other.

* Space Combat where you actually don't fight the ridiculous camera angles of attack.

* BH Healing. Really, ONE healing skill with no cooldown + One more under a condition?

[...]

Never mind, not getting paid for this anyway. What the OP said.

Edited by digitalnexus

Day/night cycle

Dynamic weather

Allow swimming!

Agreed, agreed, agreed. For me as a role-playing gamer immersion is everything, and missing basic features like day/night cycle, weather and swimming breaks immersion totally :mad:

Buddy... you're missing the whole point...

Nobody needs to play SWTOR. Nobody has a chronic illness with SWTOR being the treatment. We play it because we want to. And we want to have fun. So if SWTOR becomes a need for you, you need help.

EPIC.. You my friend are completely right. Anyone that responds to " these are just fluff and not needed" are really not thinking about what they are saying. We want to have fun in a good sw mmo, and those are the things we need in a sw mmo to have fun in a sw mmo. Not things we need in genral.

SW IS FULL OF LIFE. This game kinda stinks at showing it.

Execellent points made - can you add

Footprints - Yeah, have you wondered why you hear the crunch of snow uder your foot on Hoth and Ilum but not a trace on the ground. This leads to the sensation of "floating" detached from the environment. Such a silly oversight in my honest opinion. You trek over the dunes on tatooine - not a line in the sand.

FOOT PRINTS????!!!! EPIC.. yes.. just simple things like this to make the game feel more right.