Is has potential, but too many features are missing

Dreossk

i was just listening to more people in game today as they where talking about the very issue of the game not feeling alive.

it may not be "game breaking" or seem necessary in a technical sense but if they lose many potential customers or long term customers because of a lack of immersive features then i'd say yes - features that make the game feel more alive are very important.

this game is very good, but it could be so much more.

During beta that was one of the main concern.

It was mostly in the following order:

#1 UI

#2 Character body customization & appearance tabs

#3/4 PvP or static world.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During beta that was one of the main concern.

It was mostly in the following order:

#1 UI

#2 Character body customization & appearance tabs

#3/4 PvP or static world.

Endgame wasnt one of them only because it was never introduced til prelaunch

I have to completely agree with everything Dreossk said. The more I think of it the more disappointed I am with Bioware for launching a game with no polish at all. For the past 2 weeks I have only logged on to check my mail. I don't feel any desire to play this game anymore, and I hate that feeling. I want to feel the need to play this game, like I did before.

I hope they are reading this thread and taking notes.

Waited since it first was announced, hell i anticipated this since the 2006 rumors. But i unsubbed today. All my guildies, friends and Early access friends all quit. I agree with you OP on all terms.

Blizzard earned their place in the MMO industry. If you want to compete then you have to work extra hard. Quit using the whole "WoW has 7 years on it" crap. All we got was a poorly optimized game with little end game content and features. Does it have potential? you bet it does!

Ironic part is, are these biodrones/fanboys aren't who Bioware listen or pay attention to. They made this for the money and defending a game that clearly still needs a lot of work done is only hurting it. I can't believe how blind and ignorant some of these people are. I'm guessing most are altholics, didn't reach level 50 yet and/or never played an mmo before. Either way i hope bioware the best and will defiantly be keeping my eyes on its development.

I agree

TBH I can barely post anything anywhere on the forum that's negative based towards the game without getting a warning by the MODS

I think this issue is snowballing really

To change your title OP:

"It HAD ptoential, but too many features/working engine are missing"

They don't have the open checkbook courtesy of EA anymore. They got their money now they have to rely on monthly subs and box sales to continue improvements and patches. As we're seeing many many are leaving I doubt anything will done past 1.2 - 1.3.

Such a shame.

What is going on with SWTOR?

I’m not going to be rude, but I’m pulling no punches.

What in the world were they thinking releasing such an incomplete game? By incomplete I don’t mean basic game play, that seems to be working fine and the game has surprisingly few bugs. What I am referring to is a laundry list of missing or incomplete features. These missing/incomplete features are made worse by how ridiculously fast you make the level cap. Expecting me to build another avatar and grind to 50 is poor game design.

Also consider the literarily hundreds of successful and failed MMORPG games to analyze to make a solid game. That makes these errors even more glaring.

Here is a short list of what I think is missing.

- Guild Bank, how could you miss out on that?

- Better Guild Controls, they are very simplistic. Maybe they didn’t think that they were needed since the SWTOR guild value is pretty minimal

- Guild Points, Ranks and Perks. Almost all games have them, what happened here?

- A Vibrant Economy; what I mean is I am just making things for me and friends to grind my skills. In most cases anyone can buy better gear than I can make. Give me a reason to craft, that incentive is missing now. Even reverse engineering everything I can provides few new and better items to build.

- Space Battles… Single player space battle on rails isn’t really what people wanted. I/we want open space battles. Attack and conquer planets to make my faction stronger and yours weaker. Defend a planet from invasion. Build guild space stations or fortresses; give me a reason to grind for materials and to grind up my skills.

- More Meaningful PvP. I liked the way DAoC and Warhammer Online made Realm Vs Realm meaningful to the game. We have a built in faction here with Empire Vs Republic. Please take advantage of it. What we have may satisfy a griefer or ganker but that’s it. How about Flashpoints were each faction is working against the other and trying to succeed themselves? How about persistent PvP?

A total list of things "missing" (things that could agreeably improve the game) would be too long to really get into.

The potential could be too much for the devs to bear in the classic MMO crowd. DAoC had a lot to build on, and they did - and there were mixed results (ToA). As much as I loved DAoC ten years ago, Mythic's foundation didn't include:

-Engrossing, specific storyline for each base class

-Dialog to support nearly all quest arcs

-Answering to the demands of an already expansive Licensed brand name (although Arthurian tales are pretty expansive and rich with license-free content)

-Accommodating relationship system with NPC pets, as well as promoting the support of alignment

Bioware's problem, considering the above, is: how do you expand on this game substantially within expected deadlines? You've got voice acting, story design (that has to provide 3-point conversations that influence 5 companions and affect 2 alignments), keeping in step with lore (or at least avoiding lore missteps), and then the rest of the normal issues building on an MMO. Other big license MMOs haven't had to manage these features with usual formula.

This game launched with a little slack - forgivable slack - but now they have to compete unless they want to write off all subscribers between Expansion packs. They're still "in the race", I just hope they can produce enough effort to keep this goliath on track.

Edited by WilHyral

It's so hard to recruit for guilds in low-populated servers. I really wanna make a guild, but I just don't know since it's so hard. I already have three of my most favorite Rep characters on a low-populated servers at decent levels, and I seriously don't want to re-roll and restart. One thing they seriously need to fix is the many numbers of servers they have up. We complained about the queues and now we're complaining about the underpopulation—at this moment I'm seriously missing the queues.

There are some things this game has got that makes it great like the immersion and voice acting, and truly feeling like you're living on the planet you're on, but there many things BW should have done and many things they have to fix. It's only been about 2 months since this game has been released, but I'll be sticking with SWTOR until I see some results.

yeah college students made TOR as a side project.

This.

Seems I am not the only one who thinks most of the programming (especially the interface) has been made by students that just learned programming, and have no idea about MMOs

this game is the DA2 of MMOs

LOL dude I love you!

Agree but pretty sure they were under heavy pressure to get the game out.

Give it time - a lot of MMO's are released without features that people want [usually from other MMO's which have been out a log longer].

Have patience young Padawan....

Fail.

The game is competing with the games in 2012, not with when they were released (like WOW)

Edited by skaidar

Aren't you tired already? ALL the people who make the criticizing threads ARE NOT haters, they love or loved the game and just want it not to die in the trash cans!

When you jump out defending your own opinions, backed up with only your moral ethics you are helping absolutely no one.

People here come up with FACTS, while you try to ruin the threads with OWN OPINIONS.

If you really love the game, then BACK THEM UP, instead of proving them wrong

Edited by skaidar

I'm guessing most are altholics, didn't reach level 50 yet and/or never played an mmo before. Either way i hope bioware the best and will defiantly be keeping my eyes on its development.

I have played quite a few other MMOs before. Also, Bioware has stated that the intent was for people to play multiple classes, to experience the full story. Each class only sees a small part of the overall story. Things that happen in one class story actually effect the world and events in other class stories. To see the whole thing, you need to play all classes.

I have played quite a few other MMOs before. Also, Bioware has stated that the intent was for people to play multiple classes, to experience the full story. Each class only sees a small part of the overall story. Things that happen in one class story actually effect the world and events in other class stories. To see the whole thing, you need to play all classes.

And then, what?

People here come up with FACTS, while you try to ruin the threads with OWN OPINIONS.

Also, no one in this thread has facts, everything that has been stated is pure opinion. The opinions of people who want a sandbox game against the opinions of people who don't.

The only FACT in this thread is that Bioware stated from the beginning that this game would NOT BE A SANDBOX GAME... Therefore, those of us against the sandbox features are the ones using facts to back up our opinions while the ones wanting the game to be more like SWG are the ones with nothing to back their opinions up.

By the time you get through 8 characters stories, I have a feeling more content will be released.

Heh, it's a grind hidden behind repetitive side quests. Once you've done it once on both factions all the way through(Hec after the 1st time it becomes tiresome), the only thing new is the class quest, which is 10% of the quests on each planet. It becomes very tiresome. And the frozen in time, static, linear, less than open/explorable planets don't make the process any more enjoyable, but it's okay, you can stay with the player base of fanboi's that will make up the sum of the games population in the next few months. Unless BioWare turns things around, which they don't have the time or intent to do so. 3 years wasted watching and waiting for this game... a mist all the qualities it had that attuned to me, it being a star wars MMO as the number 1, TOR didn't live up to the hype, fell well short actually.

I do agree about the dead feeling. When leveling up I would look at alot of the random mobs on planets and think...ok they are randomly placed there, no pathing at all?

Kind of reminds me of those maze games your friend would draw in grade school and you had to navigate through it. Its as if they are just 'there'.

I LOVED the crafting in SWG. I thought something like that would have been in this game. Materials having different levels within itself would have made crafting really good. Right now though it seems crafting is just there but not organized at all.

Heh, it's a grind hidden behind repetitive side quests. Once you've done it once on both factions all the way through(Hec after the 1st time it becomes tiresome), the only thing new is the class quest, which is 10% of the quests on each planet. It becomes very tiresome. And the frozen in time, static, linear, less than open/explorable planets don't make the process any more enjoyable, but it's okay, you can stay with the player base of fanboi's that will make up the sum of the games population in the next few months. Unless BioWare turns things around, which they don't have the time or intent to do so. 3 years wasted watching and waiting for this game... a mist all the qualities it had that attuned to me, it being a star wars MMO as the number 1, TOR didn't live up to the hype, fell well short actually.

I disagree with your first statement, seeing as there are many different option you can choose in each quest based on how you want each individual character's personality to be.

I have 1 of each class and I have yet to have a quest turn out the same on any character. If you are just blindly choosing options to get quickly through the content, then yes, it can get repetitive. I like to experience everything a game has to offer. For example, I have a full playthrough of Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 for each love interest in the series. The games are still enjoyable to me. That is just how I am when it comes to a great plot.

You can call me a fanboy all day long, but the truth is, I love the Star Wars franchise, I love the lore that KotOR brought to it, I love Bioware's epic story telling and I enjoy my time with SWTOR.

It sucks that you don't enjoy it, but Bioware delivered what was promised. A story-driven, themepark MMORPG.