Best And Worst Class Story?

ToffeeNinja

IA has the best story by far, many twists, suprises and it is the one class that shows you how things actually work in the galaxy and nothing is the way you think it is, BH seems pretty boring and has a very dumb setting (let's get revenge on the guy you barely know for killing a guy you knew 5 mins longer!).

Sith Warrior was my first 50 and I really liked the story playing lightsided, I guess being darksided there takes away a lot of things and makes it pretty generic. SI was a great adventure story like in the common japanese rpg type game where you start as somewhat gifted person and stumble your way to greatness, it was pretty funny at times, too and fascinating lorewise, definetly a nice ending that sets the stage pretty nice for continuation of the storyline.

Haven't played republic myself but watched JK + Smuggler stroylines on youtube, at least some parts, Smuggler seems to be funny, but nothing more, JK is just one big cliche that pooped out another cliche.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agent story was incredible. The only part I got bored with was the Voss portion. The Native American spirit vibe felt incredibly out of place with the rest of the story and didn't have any relevance as far as I could tell. As Lightside, the ending was incredible. And let me tell you, it's really hard to achieve a true Lightside ending because you'll want to kill a particular someone so badly. Really great job at drawing out the emotion. Some people consider the ending to be underwhelming as Darkside/Neutral, but the Lightside ending has me wondering how the heck BW is going to continue the story. I'm thinking they're simply going to take the choice out of my hands, but maybe they'll go the extra mile and surprise me.

The Warrior story was pretty generic. I heard good things, but as Darkside, I pretty much went from A to B killing this person or that person. Only one moment involving a certain Padawan sticks out in my mind. That scene, while contributing little to the main story arc, was very well done. Once again, there was this weird spiritual element thrown in at the end that had no relevance to the main story. I really thought my final decision would have some big reveal or dilemma, but nope, I just did what I set out to do from the beginning with predictable results. Overall it just wasn't a memorable experience. I also found it jarring how, picking only Darkside/belligerent dialogue options, my character sounded like a complete brute or a philosopher depending on the situation. Lots of repeated dialogue for the belligerent options, like they didn't even try to make it interesting.

I loved the IA story like many people here, but I really didn't like the ending I got.

To those of you who've played SW AND JK, I'm curious as to which you preferred? I'm wanting to level up one of them but can't decide. Bear in mind I'm usually light sided but not that fond of the Jedi code, any pointers?

The funny thing with the Sith Warrior story it better IMO if you play it light sided than the darkside.

As for the rest well I am enjoying them so far havn't touched the Sage/Sorc stories really as they seem a bit Meh to me based on the short bit I played.

ZakMorgan, try a Lightsided Sith Warrior it fun ^ and the story good as well.

Edited by Kotli

Best: Juggernaut/Warrior

Worst: Trooper

My god how incredibly crap, boring, predictable, underwhelming, disappointing and repetitive was the Trooper storyline? The initial twist was quite good but it was all downhill from that point onwards. And reusing Act 1's progression in Act 3 (go find troopers....go find other troopers)? How disappointing and the final fight, the big crescendo? Utterly apauling, great, i killed some random general who was laughably easy at 48, off to the senate, little chatting....oh, wait, thats it?!?!?! ONE thing and ONE thing alone saves the Trooper, and thats the wonderfully malicous and destructive M1-4X.

Bountyhunter was also utter crap past Act 1 (which was great). Act 2 and 3 were just painfully bad. Remove Blizz (who is truly awesome as a companion) and it's nothing but pain from 30-50.

The sith ones are great, lots of lovely torture (hi Vette), delicious betrayals and murder a-plenty.

The jedi ones i found a bit....well....boring. Again the initial planet story was great on both but after that it felt forced, no real fluidity to the stories.

Edited by Faeldawn

I'm having fun with the Sith Warrior (not entirely because of the benefits of having TWO really cute followers, both of whom find my hulking Sith attractive) but also because I'm playing him as a "lightsider." (Sith Assassin is totally Level 5+ Darkside). I've only hit level 41 so far so I'm curious as to how the Jaesa/Lightside (read: oooo...you're a subversive Imperial) is going to play out. Have had one scene where the Lightside issue has raised the eyebrows of one of my other companions...wont go into details but it was deliciously Imperial paranoia rich.

I have a 31 agent and a 33 bounty hunter.

I rolled an agent because everyone says the story is "awesome". It's not. I guess for an MMO it's okay, but it's seriously forgettable when compared to any other form of storytelling, even other video games. Kaliyo is extremely annoying as well.

My bounty hunter has been slightly better than the agent, but not by much. Again, totally forgettable story / characters. Everything is "I like credits" over and over again. You participate in "The Great Hunt" but you never feel like you are actually hunting anything.

All in all, I think the writing and storytelling in SWTOR is pathetic. The fact that there are so many filler world quests that have absolutely no impact on your story (or anything for that matter) really bogs down the feeling of an epic journey through the Star Wars universe.

Class quests are so few and far between that by the time I get to them I've mostly forgotten what was going on or I just am so fed up with the questing in general that I don't care.

If it weren't for the loading screens summing up my journey thus far, I wouldn't know what was going on at all in my story. I'm very disappointed in the writing in this game, and I don't think I'll be around much longer.

I've had the same problem with the side-quests on a planet swamping out the class quest line's story. I think part of the problem is that the game assumes that you will proceed through certain areas in a certain order, and so groups the quests in a way to facilitate that.

I've found that it's best to ignore the convenience (even though it means more running), and to do the quests in RP order. i.e. If I'm told that it is important I do something right away, I do that quest next, even though technically in-game it'll wait for me.

This means that when I get to a planet, I generally run through the entire class quest line in a row while ignoring most-to-all the random side quests. In particular I don't accept quests at all if they come from random strangers (why would my Agent being doing that?), or Sith (hate them).

This means that I have to do some PVP and ship missions to keep my level up to match the content, but on the up side, since I skip half of each planet when I go back through on a different character, I often have content on the planet I haven't seen yet.

I just finished the end of act I on my agent and loved it...I couldn't believe the choice that the agent has to make...being forced to choose between the lesser of two evils really got me thinking. I even kinda regret the decision I made!

On the other hand... my consular is a snooze fest - I can't get past lvl 20. The Jedis are so boring - I can't stand listening to their self righteous/holier than thou crap. My consular's story is so boring and unengaging...I can't force myself to finish it.

EDIT: I have a male sith inquis too - he's around lvl 40 - I'm really enjoying the story, but I'm disappointed that I only have one romance option - clown-girl. I can't stand her and have no interest in eventually marrying her.

Edited by ZaraGrace

BH was definitely better than JK. I just love how

The dude that recruits you and trains you in the BH storyline gets murdered. The thing that really strengthened this plot point was that you had Mako there the whole time acting just as pissed as you were

JK storyline I didn't even really get. I understand that

When your master is publicly executed it is a sad day. That made me mad...so mad (and then when is force ghost showed up I was super stoked).

After all of that happened though it was just like, "Stop a super weapon - stop a sith lord -

Stop one of your compatriots who got turned to the dark side (and I guess, come back from the dark side).

I really just wish the JK story had less, "**** THAT GUY HE HURT MY BUDDY" moments where I got super pumped to do whatever I had to do for an hour and then a hundred foot drop into being one of the worst written most boring storylines ever (granted my JK is only 46 but if the last four levels change my opinion on the class story then Bioware has some 'splainin' to do).

the Jedi knight must have the most epic story in the game. I haven't played it yet, But:

I've read the Revan novel and therefore know what happens and why. And yes, it made me angry! it pissed me off royally, that a silly Jedi whelp (the player) was the cause of the death of one of the greatest jedi to have ever lived. Not gonna say the Character's name, in case you read this and haven't read the novel

anyways, the best one I've played has to be the warrior. I've played warrior, Inquisitor and Agent. Agent story is very cool, but I hated the ending.

I started playing the story for me and my character, and that's what everybody needs to do.

Yep, don't pander to your companions. Unsummon them if you think you might do something they find distasteful during the course of being yourself.

The game seems to 'save' reactions to partial conversations that you abandon, so you need to probably unsummon them and go most of the way through it to know what you're getting into before you decide which companion will benefit most from the choice in terms of affection.

Since 'gray' will become its own alignment in a future patch I won't feel nearly as bad for being somewhat neutral.

Loved my BH's story. He's lvl 50. Only part where it felt like it dragged was Act 2, which coincidentaly had me out hunting people for their bounties.

Loving my Sin's storyline so far. On alderaan so far so nearing the end of Act 1. Can't wait to see how the Act will end.

Also enjoying my Mara's storyline so far. Just mopped up Nar Shaddaa. Specially loved the end where I could get others to fight on my side against the Sith Lord. Then making him my pawn.

Playing all of them good/neutral. Yet am willing to take a dark side hit if I feel that it is needed. Like in the Warrior story with the kid on Balmorra.

Best Smuggler by far!

Worst is Bh.

Played both to 50, bh is so dumb.

BS haha there is no way that Smuggler beats out BH in storyline. I've played Smuggler and BH and BH has a real good storyline no reason it would be bad.

Imperial Agent (Lvl 50) - I've played this 3 times (twice in beta and once live...just started a 4th) and compared to all the others, this one so far is the only one where I'm constantly thinking, "I need to do this again and try THAT choice next time." In the 3 times I've done it so far, I've had 3 very different experiences each time and that's what I think makes this one the best so far. Reminds me of those old "Choose Your Own Adventure" books...but the really good ones where you want to go back and do it again with different choices and see how that turns out. So far all the other classes, 90% of the time I know already which choice I want to make. With the IA, 90% of the time I have to actually think about what choice do I want to make. As for the companions, I was kind of disappointed in how late you get most of them, so I really only invested in Kaliyo until late in the game. I kinda wish I had Lokin/Temple/SCORPIO earlier on as they have some great personalities and side stories. One disappointing thing is compared to a couple others, you don't really interact with them as a group except on 2 occassions and even then only 2 of them actually chime in their opinion.

Sith Warrior (Lvl 50) - I played up to level 20 in beta and now finished it in live. When I hit the slow point on my IA (around the beginning of Chapter 2), I started trying out all the other classes. The SW's Prelude story was the only one that really popped out for me, so this became the second one I leveled up. Unlike a lot of others, I actually liked Baras. Bantering back and forth with him was actually the fun part of this story. It's a given you're going to kill him in the end (as is the Sith way), but I actually was sitting there throughout the first 2 chapters wondering when and how that would happen, considering he actually respected your power. Now when it does happen, the events that unfold fall short and cliched...but by that point, you're so close to the end, it wasn't a big issue for me. The companions were a great mix of stories and personalities. I like how quickly you get them all compared to the IA. Sometimes I sat there wondering why I was letting them live on my ship, but other times I'd realize they brought something to the table. Broonmark was probably the least interesting since he's the last and has a one track mind.

Jedi Knight (Lvl 32) - The story started out kinda slow (predictable) but then got a bit more interesting once I hit Chapter 1 (am just starting Chapter 2 now). So far I've only got T7 and Kira and have only been using Kira (I've read the Deceived book, so T7's back story isn't much of a revelation for me) who's got some interesting baggage. I hear the ending isn't that great, but it's rare to find great endings anyway. The only thing I don't like so far is that Jedi Council members are calling me the greatest Jedi in years yet I'm still doing some really lame tasks.

Bounty Hunter (Lvl 30) - I figured this would be a fairly straight forward story (just starting Chapter 2) and so far it has. Mako and Gault are the only companions I have so far but both are pretty interesting. From what other people have said, you have some good interaction with your whole crew which I'm looking forward to. I'm going to guess that this is accurate, as Mako and Gault chime their opinions quite frequently during quests, but unlike other classes, so far their opinions actually help me weigh my decisions more...they actually give insight to the choices presented.

Sith Inquisitor (Lvl 23) - I was looking forward to this class, but never got around to playing it in beta. I was kinda disappointed once I did start playing but it was more because the play style of the class wasn't what I expected. Story-wise, I did have a hard time getting into it. Zash isn't the type of Sith master I was expecting. She seems too "nice" for lack of a better term. And the response choices 90% of the time are so sarcastic, that I feel like I'm a super powerful Sith who's ho-humming my way through this, just waiting for that one moment when I can finally unleash all my power and destroy everyone. So that attitude is kinda how I feel playing...bored. Khem Val is the only companion I have so far and I haven't really had much of his quests...but he is damn annoying, always walking right in front of anything I'm about to click. And from what other people are saying, the SI seems to have the weakest story Imperial side.

Trooper (Lvl 19) - I wasn't sure about this class at all since the beginning. So it was kinda surprise once I got to about level 5 and the story picked up for me. I know the class is supposed to be the mirror of the BH, but the story seems to be more a mirror of IA in some respects. I haven't read too much into the forums on the Trooper story, as I don't want to be spoiled too much...though I have seen the threat titles that say it's a weak or the worst story. I'm hoping this isn't the case. So far it hasn't been. I like the idea of being part of an elite, wetworks style team. Aric hasn't been very entertaining as a companion so I'll probably be dumping him when I get my next companion. But, like the IA, this on got me excited about the story early on and so far has kept me interested. Unfortunately, the side quest grind has bored me (as I'm pretty much doing the same side quests on 3 other toons at the same time), so that's kind of limited my playing time on this one.

Smuggler (Lvl 15) - The whole prelude of trying to get back my ship just seemed to drag on and on. The concept was good, but the execution could've used more work to keep it interesting. Then I hit Chapter 1 and it kinda just went bleh. I get my ship back but don't get the guy who stole it? And now he's the guy I have to race against? Having read the Deceived novel, I was hoping I'd be facing a cartel or something...not the same bland villain from my prelude. I haven't read up on later chapters or how even chapter 1 ends, so maybe it picks up and gets better. But right now, I kind of just got turned off by that.

Jedi Consular (Lvl 15) - The least interesting story IMO. I had to force myself to push through that prelude. It was not engaging at all IMO. And then it rolled over into Chapter 1 and hasn't even picked up the slightest. My JC has been relegated to being parked on Nar Shadaa so I can pass stuff between my Imp and Pub toons. I just can't get into this story at all. Which was disappointing to me since I liked Qyzen and the play style is more interesting than the SI (I dunno...I guess I just like throwing rocks more than lightning).

Best story, jedi consular, coherent, intriguing, building momentum.

worst story, trooper

Trooper story is so incoherent. I was so bored with the story that I even spaced out some of the conversations.

Ive more or less got near or at level cap an Inq, a Juggy and an IA

Inq Storyline 6/10 - Its ok but very disjointed like huge parts of the plot were cut out. Also seems like the writer of the story was not collaborating with the planet story writers, Most of the time I was left asking "Why do I care about XYZ Crisis?"

Warrior Storyline 8/10 - Its predictable but it has so many kick *** Sith Lord moments and the sotry makes sense from one planet to the next, and the chapter 1/2 trainsition mission on Hutta, absolutley the most fun ive had on any mission

IA Sttoryline 9.5/10 - This is a PRIME example of great writing, it starts out a bit slow, the first chapter is pretty standard fare, but then so are all of them, but the chapter 1/2 transition and every mission after that are great fun. Even boring planets like Taris and Hoth suddenly became fun, on other classes I rushed through Taris, skipping whole side missions just to get off that planet, but the IA storyline blends so seemlessly with each planets plot that the planet missions feel like part of the IA story. All of the companions also seem interesting, unlike the Inq and SW missions where I basically ignored Andronikus, Ashara, Peirce and Broon, ive used all the IA comapnions for various missions that seemed to suit their character. Its full of twists and great insight into the behind the scenes covert world of the galatic war.

Edited by rhiarose

I'm always hard pressed between IA and SW for best story. I've played them through to 50 three times now for the SW, and once for the IA, between beta and live.

Light Side female SW is just done so well, and the voice actress is to be commended. She has the vibe of a powerful Sith Lord just right. When I play my female Jedi Knight, I keep thinking my character is 14 years old. When I play my Marauder, I get the feeling I'm a 30 something year old in her prime. If I didn't know either character, and met them out of the blue, and had to pick one to save my life, based on the voice alone I'd automatically go with the SW, as it instills confidence.

Plus, the Empire-in general-is far better at dealing with Light Side/Dark Side choices. While Dark Side might be the supposed default, the writers did a good job of integrating Light Side in there while still holding to the greater vision of what the Empire is all about. As someone else pointed out earlier, many Dark Side choices as one of the Jedi are essentially ignored. Hell, there are many oppurtunities where you have a Light Side option without a Dark Side option in the conversation. It's far more rigid, and absolutely not fun, unless you want to play some self-righteous do-gooder.

It's like comparing the wide-eyed college student aping what they hear in class/what their parents said and/or the latest blog, and idealizing every idea that came before them, while presuming those who came before them were too stupid to 'understand' those ideas :p, to the now 30+ year old who's got a mortgage, maybe a kid or two, a real job, and sees the world in a far different light. I feel like the Jedi Knight is that college kid, who doesn't realize how stupid he/she sounds to those who've been around the block a few more times, while the SW is that older, more pragmatic individual.

The female IA has also hit a home run with the voice acting. Good voice acting can really enhance the story, while bad (virtually all the Republic classes-the female Consular makes me beg for an option to turn my character's voice off; she's such a horrible actress) can hurt it.

The IA story was good in that it's the only non-Force user story that still gives you a good Empire/Republic story. It's the underside, the ugly side, the 'real' in-the-trenches view of what's going on. I thought the writers did an outstanding job of portraying the Sith as a group the true servants of the Empire had to learn to work around, not necessarily for. You know, the whole idea that the Empire runs despite the Sith, rather than because of them. Plus, Darth Zohrrid is quite possibly the best Sith character in the entire game. I wish she had had a far more prominent role. She was fantastic. If you ever spend time on Dromund Kaas, someone inevitably talks up Darth Zash as the best female Sith in the game, because DK has a bunch of noobs who's experience of the game amounts to almost nothing, and since the Inquisitor is the most played class in the game, and the Agent is the second least played class, it always makes me sad at how few people ever realize just what a better character Zohrrid is, despite her infinitely small role in the story.

So, for me, it's a relative tie between the SW and IA.

The Trooper story is good in in Chapter 1 and then becomes non-existant after. I know that from beta.

The Consular story is just mind numbingly boring, with a few 'twists' later on. I know that from beta.

The same can be said for the Inquisitor story. The beta joke was that these two stories were so bad on purpose, because Bioware was handicapping a class that was already overpopular during beta. :p

The Bounty Hunter and Smuggler stories are the most disconnected from their respective factions. In beta, I often thought Bioware would have been better off letting those two classes be a neutral faction that allowed the player to choose, Empire or Republic. Yes, that'd have required more work on their part, but restricting those two classes to one specific side when it makes no sense that just because you're a Bounty Hunter you work for the Empire, really shows in just how bad their stories are if one is looking for an actual connection to your faction.

Obviously, opinions are opinions, but the general trend has been Empire > Republic, with SW and IA getting more than their share of best story votes, and Inq and Consular getting more than their share of worst story votes. To be fair, while I do think SW and IA are the best, I find all the others so bad/boring that I'd lump them all together in the 'worst' category. :D

Edited by revial

even though the smuggler's story is kind of haphazardly tacked on especially with regards to the whole galactic war issues, the smuggler him/herself makes up for it, especially if you played it neutral or "meh, whatever" style.

and yes, smugglers are swtor's comical relief character.

For me,

Inquisitor - Best story by far, hilarious when you go darkside. Very original and extremely immersive in my opinion. 10/10

Bounty Hunter - I'd say it's more of a relief story more than anything. I went lightside and even then I had a blast. When I got Blizz, it was gold. 9/10

Warrior - Very funny Darth Baras, extremely unique companion (Jaesa) but I went lightside also so I didn't really get diabolical and insane Jaesa :D. Did I mention Baras? Ending could have been more open and action packed, but overall I had fun. 8/10

Consular - Like seriously, did Bioware put any effort into this storyline? No offense, but this was the worst story I have ever played. If anyone has a 50 sage or shadow, they know that this story didn't barely even involve you at all. You're there to help people from the Emperor's Children, in no way at all was any part of the 'story' your mission. Anyone could have saved them, but you just happen to be around so they chose you. The ending was astoundingly obvious to me and I already knew it was going to end that way. I went darkside here and I'm so glad I did since I hate this story. My favorite part was killing all that was afflicted by the Emperor's 'children' since the masters were so annoying. 2/10

Smuggler - I just started on this, level 12 now and I have to say it's awesome. I know I haven't even got my ship yet but I have a feeling this class is going to be hilarious to play and I'm going to enjoy it :D

Jedi Knight - I love this story, it's funny, I go darkside, T7 hates me and I couldn't care less about that useless droid. I'm mid way through I would say and overall I enjoyed all but Balmorra (not story wise, I just entirely hate the planet). I'm about to *SPOILER AHEAD* board the emperor's ship and do something on there... and so far I got to kill millions of people living in a soon-to-be-destroyed planet. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Imperial Agent - I started this one also very recently, and I already have high hopes for it. It's awesome, being the Blade on Hutta (even though the real Blade was really cool). Kaliyo is just hilarious and I love to knife people in the back :p

These are just opinions. Don't take them personally.

Liking Inquisitor depends on how much cartoon villainy you can stand while you chew the scenery. Many setpieces go "I have a baaad feeling about this" and still you walk into a trap and get saved by outside means.

For me it was too goofy.

Agent is.... an agent story. Unlike Inquisitor, you don't feel stupid for making like side choices but often the empire gets an equally good or even better deal out of it. The choices at the act 1 finale are extremely hard to make if you care what happens to the empire.