Swtor or wow

Neverendingname

SWTOR!

Played 7 years WoW and full of it... ugly graphics and childish look, way too easy nowdays.

SWTOR

+Great Graphics

+Great Lore

+Great Storylines

+Great crafting things

+LIGHTSABERS

+FORCE

+semi-dynamic fighting

+More singleplayer and multiplayer only if you wan't to before end game.

+Fun PvP

+SPACE FIGHTING!

-Bugs (new game)

-Somebody thinks this is too solo player...

-Rebublic has too few players in many realms against Imperials

-Unbalanced characters and classes (new game)

-And many more minor things.. (new game)

WoW

+Easy to start even new to genre

+Lot's of players

+PvE

+Raiding

+Guilds

+AUCTION HOUSE!!

+works on older computers

+Addons

+UI

-Ugly and old

-stupid players

-Too easy nowdays

-No help from GM's

-Gold spammers

-Cheaters (bots and stuff)

-AI (NPC)

-Clitches

-PvP

And note from me. These are MY opinions. Got it? :cool:

What a biased post how about you hop off Biowares lightsaber kid. Besides its just going tp be you and them soon anyway.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree that a game needs to have innovation to be good. That's why I said people were perhaps expecting too much. It's an MMO similar to others and for me that is a good thing. There is only so much you can do with a proven game concept.

And because of the similarities with existing MMO's it's very accessible to players. I do not have to learn a whole new way to play a game when starting in swtor if I have prior MMO experience. I like that.

About the similarities with wow you see:

Killing boars for livers in westfall is a bit the same as killing rakghouls in Taris *but* I do it with pleasure in SWtor because it fits the overall storyline. Doing flashpoints in swtor is comparable with dungeons in Wow *but* in swtor there is a story to it and a moral choice to be made when in wow it's teleport in, kill everything, collect loot, requeue.

I was talking about vanilla WoW, I stopped right before Wrath of the Lich King.

So the teleport and requeue thing was not what I compared it to. I also stated that I like the way they did Esseles and Black Talon, but any other flashpoint they did afterwords doesnt offer the choice, and story is very vague.. It's like they merely did it to make a good first impression and then went te road of: ok, back to how we were going to do it right form the start.

SWTOR!

Played 7 years WoW and full of it... ugly graphics and childish look, way too easy nowdays.

SWTOR

+Great Graphics

+Great Lore

+Great Storylines

+Great crafting things

+LIGHTSABERS

+FORCE

+semi-dynamic fighting

+More singleplayer and multiplayer only if you wan't to before end game.

+Fun PvP (Hahaha)

+SPACE FIGHTING!

-Bugs (new game)

-Somebody thinks this is too solo player...

-Rebublic has too few players in many realms against Imperials

-Unbalanced characters and classes (new game)

-And many more minor things.. (new game)

WoW

+Easy to start even new to genre

+Lot's of players

+PvE

+Raiding

+Guilds

+AUCTION HOUSE!!

+works on older computers

+Addons

+UI

-Ugly and old

-stupid players (Both Games)

-Too easy nowdays

-No help from GM's (***)

-Gold spammers (new game)

-Cheaters (bots and stuff)

-AI (NPC)

-Clitches

-PvP

And note from me. These are MY opinions. Got it? :cool:

made my day

Short but sweet whats the differences?

And upsides and downsides to both ?

Thanks

:p

You can't do a ten word comparison.

People play different games for different reasons, I personally stopped playing wow because i felt like they were dangling a carrot in front of me in terms of BOA mounts/achievements for the past 2 years, and that it would never come (or it would wait until they needed to rope people back from tor/gw2) So I Gave up.

But i loved having rare mounts and titles on my characters it just wasn't worth anything on ONE character in that game when you are expected to try to farm rare mounts, You shouldn't have to do it 10x.

New raiding system from what i enjoyed had changed too much from what it used to be, there used to be no hard modes, just hard raids that it took a while to progress in.

Now you just switch a mode and you can blow through it on easy for the same looking gear.

Most of us came because starwars is awesome, we're sick of Blizzard devs putting up coming games over maintaining the game we pay $15 a month for, or just pvp is being ruined.

Starwars does a lot of things well so far but its far from perfect thus far there are more bugs in this game than numbers in the world :D

but as long as they keep trying to fix them and keep trying to improve the game and give us more content then this game will be well worth my time.

Swtor over WOW in my humble opinion mainly because it isnt warcraft universe, i hated warcraft, warcraft 2 and the whole universe in general. Blizzard worlds just plain suck from my point of view.

So starwars over warcraft everytime.

In regards of game mechanics true this game still needs work but have potential, in regards of combat system in a MMO nothing beats age of conan.

You sir... are one big troll.. I can't believe you are actually saying that about warcaft 2..

Now where is my Death Note?

What a biased post how about you hop off Biowares lightsaber kid. Besides its just going tp be you and them soon anyway.

Hahah. Well i'm not a kid if I may say. My both legs are in grave already...

And Great it made your day. Just... ffs... I like SWTOR more. Is that wrong? New game that still evolves and will grow till better direction. Peace and Out kids.

You sir... are one big troll.. I can't believe you are actually saying that about warcaft 2..

Now where is my Death Note?

As i wrote its my opinion not something i would presume that anyone else shares, but the fact is that I personally hate the warcraft universe

Hahah. Well i'm not a kid if I may say. My both legs are in grave already...

And Great it made your day. Just... ffs... I like SWTOR more. Is that wrong? New game that still evolves and will grow till better direction. Peace and Out kids.

I want you on a decent game son.

Honestly... Rift.

SWTOR is a buggy mess that looks and plays like it was made in 1995.

WoW is superior by FAR in virtually every aspect, but Blizzard has gone off the deep end.

Rift, is nice.

Its what you prefer, like wow and swtor it's a diferent game.

Swtor buggy looks and plays like its made in 1995?

Come on its new, so ofcourse its buggy.

I never played a game (mmo) from the start that isnt buggy.

And the looks, come on it looks great.

I find it better looking then wow.

And the way its plays, thats a matter of opinion.

I see no huge problems, sure its a little buggy.

But again what game isnt after release.

And wow far superior, used to be.

Dont want to go to far about wow, i could start a bith's slap contest :p

And for the rest, you like fantasy, elves, dragons kungfu-panda's ;) and so on, play wow.

You like sifi/star wars you have to play swtor.

It are 2 different games, pick what you prefer.

And yes, swtor is buggy its a work in progress but they are getting there.

I think, before this year ends they would have fixed 99% (could never fix everything because people will keep ************ about something).

And a few new content would be added, like they just did and will again with in a couple of months.

I really like Swtor it's a great game, its something different like the mmo's i played.

It's a shame you mostly only read bad things, because there are plenty positive things to say.

But people love to complain :cool:

Edited by SlimSmokey

Well in my opinion both are great games and both have big downsides to them...........

DOWNSIDES

SWTOR: Mainly the ability lag in my point of view

WOW: Mainly making things easier for the kids in my point of view.

UPSIDES

SWTOR:Great story lines great graphics in my opinion

WOW: Fluid fighting in pve and pvp

all my opinion dont rage over it :)

may the force be with u all :):D

i hate how everyone is comparing star wars the old republic to world of warcraft.

they are completely different games.

star wars the old republic has laser swords

world of warcraft does not have laser swords

please stop trying to compare star wars the old republic to world of warcraft, they are completely different games.

A sword is a sword... they're just 2 different types of apples, and not comparing apples to oranges... ;)

The OP is asking for people's opinions on which game is better. You should call every single person who picks one over the other biased, because thats what they are. BIASED.

I'm biased, and my opinion is relevant:

To the OP, If you like Star Wars at all, give SWTOR a shot. Me, my friends and my guild are LOVING this game. I'm not saying things are perfect, because they're not. We've ran into bugs and issues just like everyone else. If you go off the deep end and spazz out over bugs like some of the people on these forums, I say wait a while before you think about playing.

I saw a few people here who seemed to have legitimate concerns over the game, like the guy who has had account issues and spoken to multiple CS reps.. I'm sorry to hear that and I hope EA/Bioware gets the CS shaped up. It is definitely sub-par. It's not just SWTOR though. I about blew a bloodvessel talking to EA support for BF3.. I spoke to 4 different reps in a row that all gave me bogus answers and "conveniently" disconnected from my chats.

I am really enjoying swtor. I loved eq2. Hate warcraft. didn't like rift at all. Liked AoC a bit. Liked vanguard but was released way to early. D&D was ok but not great. Loved EQ as well. EQ2 was the best for me but got burned out. Really liking the sci fi game and really enjoying the space missions atm.

I like SWTOR because it feels like an offline RPG with MMO trappings, similar to .HACK in it's heyday, but, unlike.HACK, you can share this experience with friends.

To touch on WOW, lets go back further to, say, fighting games. Learn the trappings of Street Fighter, your world is open to multitudes of games with similarities, but have graphic changes and developer inputs that make them unique, but PLAYABLE because you played the innovating game.

I respect WoW, because Blizzard was good at taking all the things that worked at the time and making a sort of greatest hits in its own game, and kept an eye on user mods and tweaked those into the main games offerings, showing that they evolve with the users.

So, i am glad that i played Wow, I have the conventions needed to feel at home here, and i will enjoy it till the next adventure.

I honestly couldn't stand reading after the first page, I'm assuming the thread devolved into the kind of cesspool only a thread of this kind could create. Still, I am driven to reply so...

This is probably the worst place to ask this, and certainly the worst time, this forum is basically split between people who love, or pretend to love this game, and refuse to acknowledge any other views, particularly ones about other MMOs being better, or something BW could learn from. Then there are the others who've realised it's not what they wanted, that it's not immediately, from day 1, been the greatest game ever concieved by man.

For what it's worth, my view is somewhere in the middle.

Wow, is a great game. The best (probably) and most polished MMO ever released.

The game world is far larger than TOR, and there's far more to do. If you've never played wow before I'd recommend you did rather than TOR. For the most part everything TOR does, it borrowed from WOW. And most of the things it left behind it should have taken.

Wow has more classes, 10 to 4 (Soon to be 11 in next xpac for wow, and no, ACs don't count as 2)

It has more instances, more raids.

It's less linear with it's levelling. You don't have to go from one zone to the next, if you want to level purely through pvp you can, or if you want to skip a zone out, or miss an entire continent you can. Well you have to tbh.

It has more morons to group with. But you can actually form groups with the LFG tool, rather than spamming general chat for an hour then giving up. or forming a guild group, and then realising there's no tank and spamming general anyway.

If you don't like the interface you can change. Don't like TOR UI (and who does?) you're stuck. Don't worry, we'll soon be able to move things about. (OT: Seriously BW? No one cares where the minimap is, we care there's no macros or mouseover healing. or target of target... but I digress)

On the other hand, wow is what, 8 years old? The graphics aren't great, if that's a factor you care about. Personally I don't

New content is slow, if you plan on raiding at max level expect to be stuck in the same instance for 6 months+

For new players, forgot the second M in MMO, you're gonna be levelling alone. Everyone's long got their characters to 85, and their 4th 5th and 6th alts too. The only grouping up will be via the dungeon finder, with people not from your server.

God this is long, tl;dr time? SWTOR is brand new, it can't hope to compete with WOW, and honestly it doesn't, it's buggy as hell, linear to the point that I have no interest in levelling an alt, the inexcusable lack of a LFG tool means I've done exactly 1 flashpoint and I'm level 36. But it's BRAND NEW, wow didn't have lfg at launch either. People need to stop comparing them. For a game barely been out a month, by a company with no mmo experience (is that right?) it's fun. And that's really all that a game has to be. But there is something missing from it, to me atleast.

Jokes about wall of text incoming in 3....2....1.... Nvm, I'm not gonna be posting on here again anyway

Wow has more classes, 10 to 4 (Soon to be 11 in next xpac for wow, and no, ACs don't count as 2)

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I have to argue with that point. The ACs do count as seperate classes. Notice how once you pick your AC it just says "Powertech" and not Bounty Hunter - Powertech... Both ACs fill different roles and in most cases have very different playing styles. I wouldn't call them the same at all, except for their base abilities. But all classes have some similar abilities to those outside their base class anyway.

Edited by DarrkLore

In wow i played allmost from launch and stoped after cata. (did not get exp pack then) and i have many good memorys from wow.

Both games have ofc both good and bad sides. As do all games.

Now i have wow cata exp pack and i play wow when swtor servers are down. As i never tryed cata before, i find it fun and interesting and i feel sort of like a new player again. But thats fine by me as im not very active in there. I just play a few hours now and then.

Many have stated that wow have no lore. Well it has a lore but blizzard have been editing it over and over in wow. Im guessing that this is done to make the lore fit to te changes they do. Lore from old warcraft games was good tho.

Swtor is a new game and those of u that played wow from the very start, maybe remember that wow was deffently buggy.

Both games are great in its own way. Som love them some hate them. Thats just the nature of mmo games... :D

Its virtually impossible to compare most of WoW to TOR because WoW has been out 8 years, which means thats 8 years of time to refine/remove bugs, release new content, introduce new methods of play etc where as TOR has been out.... 2 months and therefore has had no where near enough time to do the same on any level.

THEREFORE one has to look at the 'basic' elements of each game.

ToR has better graphics due to its newer engines,

ToR has better story, its a story-driven game, so this is not unexpected.

WoW has more classes, HOWEVER, ToR kinda makes up for this by giving each class an AC which is completely different.

WoW has crafting that has a far greater impact on end-game experience, this can easily be compensated however by boosting those in ToR in a single patch.

With TOR its 'easier' to craft and harvest resources without impeding your lvling progress.

WoW PvP is better constructed and more varied, but NONE of those features present today were in WoW release.

ToR has less bugs than WoW did at release, with more content to cover and control.

At the moment i would say ToR is better than WoW was at release. The key will be to see whether ToR can keep up momentum and, more importantly, irradicate the bugs currently present within its game.