Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Stop the WoW comparisons!

LukeSaberRattler

Am I the only one that can't stand the WoW comparisons? Every posts has 10+ people saying WoW has less bugs, or a more feature rich system. Just stop you can't compare an MMO with 1 month of live game time to one that has had years of fine tuning and work done on it.

SWTOR for me has had an insanely good start and should keep getting better. Sure there could be stumbles like the Ilum issue but they are not abandoning people. And all you people that have to have everything now should grow up! It's called patience there are plenty of other things to do in this great game to keep you busy until issues are resolved.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You know why they are speaking about it? It's because people like you. Ppl like you bring the WoW back to subject just by writing it down.

I play both of them and yes, WoW it's a better game (now that you ask for) by far and by any means :) that's my POV and yes i's called freedom of speach.

Just because SWTOR is 1 year, 5 or 10 years younger, doesn't mean that they couldn't implement things already known in the MMO world. That is not an excuse!!! Bioware should have learned the lesson.

So, stop feeding the trolls then!

Last time when you bought a technological product, one of which there exists many varieties of in the modern world, like say a mobile phone, did you buy one that had:

- less features than your old one

- more features than your old one

- better features than your old one

- worse features than your old one

- a combination of any of the above?

Like it or not, WoW's rise to prominence have brought in a new kind of gamer, a gamer that is person playing games as well as a consumer.

In the past the people who played MMO's were enthusiasts first, meaning gamers, and consumers second. Mistakes were overlooked and glossed over, troublesome gameplay was heralded as cutting edge because it was what people was used to.

Then WoW entered the scene, it made it's mistakes, some things were glossed over, however, what it did do was that it created a new playing experience where troublesome gameplay was cut down, features that were in other games were combined into one and realised on a grander scale in user friendliness compared to what others had done.

MMO-reality changed as the people inside the MMO reality became more diverse and came from more walks of life.

Now those consumers are moving on for this and that reason, they have come to expect a certain base reality and their experience in this game, where the certain base realities are missing, are just as jarring for them as when the old school of MMO gamers came into WoW and saw everything, in their eyes simplified.

That very simplification is what other people see as accessability. Where people go wrong of each other is where "simple," "easy to use" and "easy" get mixed up.

Just because something is simple and easy to use, doesn't mean it's simple. Riding a bicycle is on paper simple, yet there are so many automatic reactions ingrained in us, when we ride one, that if we lost those, riding a bicycle would be impossible.

Driving a car on the other hand, that's easy, get in seat, turn key, use gears depending on transition, press pedal. And yet it is not simple because there are a lot of things you need to keep an eye on and be aware of at the same time. Speed, traffic, surroundings, warning signs, ect.

What people are wanting is the same accessability and ease of use as they are used to experiencing, not that the game is too little like WoW.

My personal opinion is that it's too much like WoW and somehow managed to pass up on the user friendly and easy to use parts.

If designed properly TOR would not be anymore WoW if it incorporated the things users expect from WoW with their own design and spin on things.

Just like my cat is not a dog just because he likes the occassional fetch and can walk on a leash.

Edited by Quaade

Its funny, I played wow for a year and have no idea what people are talking about when they say wow doesn't have issues. I think you have to remember that people love and are addicted to WoW, and with these type of relationships they are often more forgiving of mistakes and bugs. It's really unfair to compare one against the other, unless maybe you're going to compare vanilla WoW at launch. Even non MMO games have issues and bugs during and after launch, see Skyrim. People here are just looking for any reason to complain.

yeah stop comparing this to WoW

its insulting to WoW

http://www.instantwookie.com

On a more serious note, you absolutely can compare the two games in their respective current states. They're both live, and they're both asking for your $15/month. You can list out the features of each game and compare what you're getting for your money, and decide for yourself according to your subjective likes and dislikes which game offers the better value.

Here we go:

A reply I got on the Facebook page when I stated "People think this game should have 8 years of polish and the playerbase of WoW."

And the well-thought out reply I got:

?Your an Idiot , So you are comparing A game that ran on first Gen Pentium 4's, 64Meg GFX cards and 128 megs of and A barely installed ADSL network, with most people using 56k dial up- To today's where 50+meg Fibre infrastructure interntet is common place, and most peoples PC's could Run Toy Story in real time. time have change things have improved and MMO/Online gaming has come on in leap and bounds - get you head of the the past-- BioWars messed up with the stinker and you know it...

Am I the only one that can't stand the WoW comparisons? Every posts has 10+ people saying WoW has less bugs, or a more feature rich system. Just stop you can't compare an MMO with 1 month of live game time to one that has had years of fine tuning and work done on it.

SWTOR for me has had an insanely good start and should keep getting better. Sure there could be stumbles like the Ilum issue but they are not abandoning people. And all you people that have to have everything now should grow up! It's called patience there are plenty of other things to do in this great game to keep you busy until issues are resolved.

Whats great is when you try to tell them WoW had more bugs at launch they tell you you can't compare it to WoW lol.

Honestly, I think it should implement everything GOOD about WoW, ignore the bad, then add on totally new features. Right now people's suggestions for features that WoW has are precisely that. It's just we don't agree on what's good about WoW and what's bad.

Why block out positive features of a previous game just because you're "trying to be different"?

Here we go:

A reply I got on the Facebook page when I stated "People think this game should have 8 years of polish and the playerbase of WoW."

And the well-thought out reply I got:

?Your an Idiot , So you are comparing A game that ran on first Gen Pentium 4's, 64Meg GFX cards and 128 megs of and A barely installed ADSL network, with most people using 56k dial up- To today's where 50+meg Fibre infrastructure interntet is common place, and most peoples PC's could Run Toy Story in real time. time have change things have improved and MMO/Online gaming has come on in leap and bounds - get you head of the the past-- BioWars messed up with the stinker and you know it...

Eheheh. He still has a point

I played WoW on an old megadrive with a HDD selotaped to it.

Meanwhile on my current computer rivalling NASA equipment I can barely hit 20 fps in warzones.

Heres the kicker, THE GAME STILL LOOKS LIKE ARSE LOL

Edited by Kamiosoup

Last time when you bought a technological product, one of which there exists many varieties of in the modern world, like say a mobile phone, did you buy one that had:

Like it or not, WoW's rise to prominence have brought in a new kind of gamer, a gamer that is person playing games as well as a consumer.

In the past the people who played MMO's were enthusiasts first, meaning gamers, and consumers second. Mistakes were overlooked and glossed over, troublesome gameplay was heralded as cutting edge because it was what people was used to.

Then WoW entered the scene, it made it's mistakes, some things were glossed over, however, what it did do was that it created a new playing experience where troublesome gameplay was cut down, features that were in other games were combined into one and realised on a grander scale in user friendliness compared to what others had done.

MMO-reality changed as the people inside the MMO reality became more diverse and came from more walks of life.

Now those consumers are moving on for this and that reason, they have come to expect a certain base reality and their experience in this game, where the certain base realities are missing, are just as jarring for them as when the old school of MMO gamers came into WoW and saw everything, in their eyes simplified.

That very simplification is what other people see as accessability. Where people go wrong of each other is where "simple," "easy to use" and "easy" get mixed up.

Just because something is simple and easy to use, doesn't mean it's simple. Riding a bicycle is on paper simple, yet there are so many automatic reactions ingrained in us, when we ride one, that if we lost those, riding a bicycle would be impossible.

Driving a car on the other hand, that's easy, get in seat, turn key, use gears depending on transition, press pedal. And yet it is not simple because there are a lot of things you need to keep an eye on and be aware of at the same time. Speed, traffic, surroundings, warning signs, ect.

What people are wanting is the same accessability and ease of use as they are used to experiencing, not that the game is too little like WoW.

My personal opinion is that it's too much like WoW and somehow managed to pass up on the user friendly and easy to use parts.

If designed properly TOR would not be anymore WoW if it incorporated the things users expect from WoW with their own design and spin on things.

Just like my cat is not a dog just because he likes the occassional fetch and can walk on a leash.

Really liked your well thought out post, I wish people could grasp the reality of the situation so easily as yourself. I've wrote similiar feelings myself in the "LFG needed badly .." thread that is lurking around.

Eheheh. He still has a point

I played WoW on an old megadrive with a HDD selotaped to it.

Meanwhile on my current computer rivalling NASA equipment I can barely hit 20 fps in warzones.

Heres the kicker, THE GAME STILL LOOKS LIKE ARSE LOL

LOL I laughed about it. It was just so out of left field the reply.

As for the game looking bad, I don't know man. I have an ATI Radeon HD 5800 and with HIGH AA on this game looks GREAT. I get great FPS in PvE and PvP.

Whats great is when you try to tell them WoW had more bugs at launch they tell you you can't compare it to WoW lol.

WoW had more bugs when I quit in 2010.

I mean, seriously, the game was all about competitive endgame, and yet you couldn't get into a raid for an hour because Activision was too cheap to invest in instance servers.

And it's not like you could roll an alt for fun instead. 5th time clearing Stranglethorn Vale? /wrists

WoW is better. Hands down.

People try to compare Vanilla WoW to the past month of SW:ToR saying "WoW had so many bugs and it wasn't playable and I hate your face for even comparing the two!" but the thing they don't understand is this:

SWTOR IS COMPETING WITH OTHER GAMES AS THEY ARE TODAY, NOT AS THEY WERE AT THEIR RELEASE.

There are no free passes in the business world. The honeymoon ended when beta ended.

BioWare has 6 years of development and a BLANK CHECK to fund it; not to mention the game was about one of the most famous and profitable franchises in HISTORY.

Yet, they layed a turd.

The times, they are a'changing. Bioware doesn't have months to clean up this mess. They have a couple weeks.

Hell, EA's stock was just lowered by $5 per share because of this game.

surely theres nothing wrong with comparing them, especially when they did copy so many of its features. Even the colour of the items (greens, blues, orange epics lol, purples etc), the talent trees (which wow are ditching), the combat, the quests, the dungeons, the raids, the bgs...

if BW didnt want these comparisons maybe they should have innovated a bit more yeah?

It takes time to code all those fancy features. To get the game out in a few years they limited the features/functions. During the life of the game you then patch and improve. So unless you wanted to wait 6 more years for the game to come out. I for one completely understand what they are doing and have more patients than a Sith Warrior! Edited by LukeSaberRattler

Actually since you brought it up. I use to have an iPhone. I just recently switched to some non-smartphone type that has almost none of the features the iphone does. it has texting, address book, calculator, and a clock...that I can name off the top of my head. And is, imo, a superior product for what I use it for than the iphone. which is calling/texting.

Kinda like TOR, it has less features, but is a superior product, imo, than WoW in what I use it for. Which is fun.

But, the (by your standard) inferior phone/mmo is what I prefer to use. so your analogy is moot..as it pertains to people like me, who have different tastes, opinions

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.