Confused and Very Upset!

shantale

Rift had the same issue months into the game and that was supposedly the most polished release in MMO history so I would say it was a finished MMO.

Edit: Months not moths...

No rift did not. Even in beta they had a ui option to disable pvp auto flagging..

The problem was unless you dug around in the settings you were not aware that you have to check it to not auto flag.

There has been limited problems with a few minor bugs that trion is fast to fix.

The most recent was with a portable banker npc. The other side would drop it in your aoe and it would flag you rearguards of the flap settings.. I took about 3 days to fix!

Trion has been very good at insuring that pvp will never effect a pve players game on pve servers!

Also wow does not allow aoe to auto flag you we tested this the other day me on my ally mage the wife on h

I ask you to name one main stream mmo with pve servers where aoe will auto flag yo uwith no options to disable it.

This issue has been around since beta with a lot of threads on it and so far BW has refused to answer any questions on it.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

player vs player is more than an ego trip or domination. It is human brain and reflex vs human brain and reflex.

It is simple, if you see another player who is flagged don't buff them, if you see an enemy who is flagged don't aoe.

If you accidently get flagged and killed, just grab a cup of cofee, or a glass of water.

What I am saying is you must think before you act, it is as simple as that.

Hey -- guess what. If they are on a PvE server, and some moron is stealthing around hopping into their AoE and repeatedly ganking them, how is anything you wrote addressing the issue that if I'm NOT flagged for PvP NONE of my abilities should damage opposite realm players?

Good lord I wouldn't want to group with some of you people if common sense is hard to grasp for you.

OP's thread serves a great purpose and is very mature.

/facepalm

Also: I demand a refund because I rolled on a PVP server and got killed by mobs! o.O

you obviously did not read the post, the op is on a pve server. now your just puting your own foot in your mouth.

Hey -- guess what. If they are on a PvE server, and some moron is stealthing around hopping into their AoE and repeatedly ganking them, how is anything you wrote addressing the issue that if I'm NOT flagged for PvP NONE of my abilities should damage opposite realm players?

Good lord I wouldn't want to group with some of you people if common sense is hard to grasp for you.

I have no desire to group with you either so problem solved, k thanks bai.

you obviously did not read the post, the op is on a pve server. now your just puting your own foot in your mouth.

I obviously did. It's supposedly a bug that her AoE hit a guy that was flagged (while she was not).

Still, it doesn't make her post any less funny.

I obviously did. It's supposedly a bug that her AoE hit a guy that was flagged (while she was not).

Your sense of humor is terribad if you think this post is funny. I feel sad for you man I really do.

Sounds like this guy knows if he can be effected by your AoE and purposely got in under its umbrella to force you into PvP. Its a pretty messed up thing to do. But considering the fact that harrassment usually comes from people finding exploits its no surprise people are abusing it.

I been having people try this on Ilum in the pve parts 9 yes there ares of ilum for pve play and pve dailies!)

It ranged from the stand and jumping around my pve quest mobs ( they are not agro to them)

to stealthing in a pack of them. To yelling insults at me for not pvping..On a pve server in a pve area! Sadly i have just refused to aoe and i make sure my pet doesnt have any aoe abilities checked. Its just sad that as a commando with lots of powerful aoe i cant use them due to pvp players!

I can honestly say this is the first game this has been a issue for me..

eq2 didnt have this issue since i could even group with the other faction in pve servers there was ZERO allowed pvp!

WoW was not a issue i had to target the flagged person and directly attack them.

Rift i can toggle off the auto flag and NEVER end up pvp flagged EVER!

I also do no tremember ever being force flagged in warhammer on pve servers. I had to willingly go into a pvp lake to end up flagged!

Daoc this was never a issue there was ZERO allowed pvp on the pve side of the gates. The enemy could not get there no matter what!

Why do you find the frustration and misfortune of a person you dont know to be funny?

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up Shantale. I'm sure if I hadn't seen this thread I would have been caught out also.

I really dislike PvP and have done since UO when in the first hour of starting I was PK'd 5 times and had to start 3 characters because all my gear was taken. My experience with PvP over the years is overwhelmingly bunny hunters rather than real PvPers that are out for a challenge. Then again I rarely get too far with PvP stuff because I get fed up of being killed by players 30 to 50 levels above me.

They really should impose massive penalties to characters with such large level gaps, although they should only get the penalties if the much higher level character starts the combat and not the other way around. No, higher level characters jumping into lower level AoEs shouldn't affect the higher level characters.

To avoid all that they could just simply restrict PvP on PvE servers to the open PvP areas like on Tatooine. If people want to PvP outside of the open PvP areas why are they even on a PvE server instead of a PvP server?

Edited by Palathas

Ya know what, the simple fact that this type of situation can occur is testimount to how untested this game is.

This is the type of thing that should have been caught during Alpha testing, let alnoe Beta Testing.

It's another broken/unfinished aspect of the game OP. The trolls in this thread represent the PvP mindset. They raise hell if anyone complains about PvP on their server. "Go to PvE server carebear" they'll spew. Then they want to berate you for getting griefed by their kind because of Bioware's oversight.

In case you didn't know, it's broken. In finished MMOs, whether you hit depends on your flag, NOT the griefer's. Your abilities should hit everything but the griefer, since YOU are not flagged.

Just add it to Bioware's DERP! pile.

Thats actually wrong. If someone is flagged and you hit them, you become flagged yourself. Its basically like an acceptance to duel. Pretty standard on pve servers.

On the other hand, i dislike people that do that simply with ill intent....

Edited by romandaemon

For all those saying that this does not occur in other MMO's

As far as I am aware this is still how things work in WoW. An opposing faction player flags themselves, their nameplate turns yellow at this time if you directly hit them or they end up in your AoE then you are also flagged, this also occurs if you are healing a flagged player from your faction.

Having said that I've not played the pile o crap since the first rounds of FL nerfs so it may have changed since then.

Edited by Teksiis

I may be wrong but I believe you put in your son's cd instead of yours which is labeled Hello Kitty and install the wrong game? I mean maybe you would have caught it sooner that you are in a science fiction world rather than one full of golden bombs of light and love.

wise *** remarks aside just resurrect and move on. Create a ticket, explain your concern, and see what happens.

best of luck.

For all those saying that this does not occur in other MMO's

As far as I am aware this is still how things work in WoW. An opposing faction player flags themselves, their nameplate turns yellow at this time if you directly hit them or they end up in your AoE then you are also flagged, this also occurs if you are healing a flagged player from your faction.

Having said that I've not played the pile o crap since the first rounds of FL nerfs so it may have changed since then.

Nope.. for as far back as I can remember in wow you cannot get flagged by AoE abilities. If you directly target and attack someone who is flagged, you become flagged. If you AoE and they walk into it, they wont take any damage and you wont be flagged.

Nope.. for as far back as I can remember in wow you cannot get flagged by AoE abilities. If you directly target and attack someone who is flagged, you become flagged. If you AoE and they walk into it, they wont take any damage and you wont be flagged.

Warcrafts forums would like to talk to you. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q=pvp%20flagged%20from%20aoe&f=post

Aside from the forums I also know this from first hand experience I have both been the victim and the culprit in said circumstance.

Edited by Teksiis

You can test it yourself even on a PvP server if you are on one. Have an opposite faction come to a zone you are not flagged in, such as your capital city and try and hit them with an AoE. It will not work unless you flag yourself first. Tried and Tested unless it bugged in a recent patch.

In my time in WoW. There have been a number of times where doing AOE have flagged me PvP when a flagged enemy is in the AOE range. This was worst in Cataclysm in the Firelands where both sides shared the quests. I'm just merrily using AOE's and stuff. Then flagged.

Unfortunately it's not a bug or exploit. It's in by design. The unfortunate part isn't the design, but it is abusable. People can flag and intentionally get in the way of attacks. Worst are those who are many levels higher in low zone areas who are just looking for quick kills.

Take care to notice the planet your on being shared. Where you are and who is near. Bioware isn't going to fix this because it's not technically broken. It's abusable, but not broken.

As far as I can tell, the only people who like this feature are griefers. If you really want to PVP, I don't why you wouldn't just roll on a PVP server (or at the very least challenge other PVPers), unless you're a wuss. Edited by daemian

Thats actually wrong. If someone is flagged and you hit them, you become flagged yourself. Its basically like an acceptance to duel. Pretty standard on pve servers.

On the other hand, i dislike people that do that simply with ill intent....

If you had to actually target them, you might have a point.

But as it currently stands, someone can lie in wait cloaked among a pack of mobs that a quest takes you to and decloak after you've engaged.

If you are not currently flagged, your "splash" damage should not affect other players.

How this concept seems foreign to so many people (who are likely just *feigning* stupidity...at least I hope) is beyond me.

"This happens in other MMOs, too" doesn't make it any less of a dumb design flaw, just a prevalent dumb design flaw.

The crux of the issue here is "consensual PvP." Throwing an AoE and having a flagged enemy wander into it does not mean you are consenting.

Edited by Syylara

Stop hitting PVP flagged players.

thats ingenious you have great advice. maybe the carebears who flag themselves on a pve server should man up and actually roll a pvp server. oh thats right they have no real skill and cry when they get ganked.

to OP it does suck but right now besides not using AOE theirs really nothing you can do. It's a bad game design that carebears take advantage of to grief those just trying to have fun.

In case you didn't know, it's broken. In finished MMOs, whether you hit depends on your flag, NOT the griefer's. Your abilities should hit everything but the griefer, since YOU are not flagged.

It work here exactly the way it work in WoW, you flag yourself if you attack a flagged target.

If people who don't like how it works want to try and get it changed, cool with me, but ti insinuate that how it works is broken or unusual is ignorant at best.