Consolidated Vanguard class issues

Guurzak

This isn't a bug or anything but perhaps an oversight? As a dark side trooper it can be hard for me to find color crystals to use in my weapons. I can't put a blue or green gem into a weapon because they are restricted to light side, so that leaves yellow, orange, and red, I hear purple also exists but is extremely rare. The Republic GTN is flooded with blue and green gems, but very few yellow, orange, or red. Personally I think the idea of restricting colors to a side is dumb, but at least keep it to the jedi where it is a part of lore. If I'm a dark person but I want something unique, like a blue laser, I should have that option because nothing about my lore has to do with my "alignment."

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ammo management for Assault is awkward at first since I was Tactics for so long, but I got used to it after a while, just alot more Hammer Shot weaving, unless you proc your free HIB a ton.

I just felt like it took forever to get all my abilities rolling thus slowing my damage unless I got real lucky on hib.

Tactis rotation seems to get going a lot faster. Plus i'm able to slowly work my ammo down to 0 while still maintaining 3-4 regen arrows. Takes just about 2 min to get there so reload is almost always up if I get empty. And thats without HEC

Really hope that at least 50% of those issues would be fixed.

If shield is not working in PVP, then what's the point of giving +absorb and +shield for PVP Champion/BM set armor?

Glad that someone have put all those things in single thread, maybe game designer or other BioWare employee would take a look here, and we'll get some official response.

In last patches, all other classes getting changes somehow, but no love for vanguard and especially for Tank spec's.

If we cant use Tank Spec in PVP, implement somehow dual spec, where i would be able to switch from PVE tank to PVP dps build.

Threat issues could possibly be resolved by adding threat to attacks based on the current mitigation for tanks.

IE, have it based on damage reduction, shield chance, defense chance. That would make popping cooldowns also increase threat for a certain amount of time as well, making the random AOE add pull a little bit less stressful.

Would be nice to know that they have picked up on this post. Just a little wink from a moderator saying that this thread has been written down and a checklist had been made on the issues or something.

My vanguard isnt my main atm but I can clearly see that these issues need to be resolved some quickly like the threat issue at max level and some maybe not so quickly as in few talents that could be ignored since there are good other options, atleast atm since all classes seem to have one or two completely useless talents (cos of bugs or perhaps ideas that got scrapped in beta).

just to bump up - so the thread would be more visible

Edit:

Also, just as a thought - it's not Vanguard but Trooper thingy - the class buff, compared to other class buffs seems to be bad. Especially comparing with 5% for all type of DMG +10% heal and etc. Other classes get's buff for 3+ stats, while Trooper class just getting END buff. Guess increasing it to +10% END - would be more sufficient. Or maybe make it +5% End/Armor/Def.

Edited by plitka

By far the biggest issue is Shields not mitigating Force and Tech attacks in PvP. It’s unclear if this was intended as a Rock/Paper/Scissor to have certain classes counter Tanking, but because essentially every Class spec that the Empire actually PvPs with has Force/Tech attacks, it basically means that everyone counters VGs and you can’t play a Vanguard as a pure Tank in PvP. The Supercommando gear as plus Def and Shield Absorption on one of the PvP sets, so this strongly suggests that BW did want Tanking to be viable in PvP.

Yes, you can create a Hybrid Spec that can DPS, but the very fact that many of us choose Vanguards means that we wanted to Tank, not DPS. Personally, I want to tank so much that I resist speccing out of Shield, even though I know my WZ Medals would improve if I stopped at Storm and then went Assault. I understand what Bioware was TRYING to do with Shields and Force/Tech, but in practice their design has effectively eliminated pure Tanking as a PvP role – and that’s a crying shame.

A very constructive post by the OP and I hope that Bioware will listen to this. BH and Vanguard should be equal.

Also all the suggested talent/role changes do sound good I like to mention that it should not be valid to go full into a hybrid build and outperform a deep skilled tree.

I play a Powertech as a main and i'm tanking with a hybrid build, my healers mentioned that i'm easier to heal in my new 23/0/18 build than my old 31/7/3, while building up way more aggro.

And that while losing the 2% reduce from Power Armor and 10% shield chance but gaining 2% avoidance from the Firebug/Assault tree. Also, i removed almost all the tank enhancements from my Rakata/Columni gear and replaced them with lower lvl ones, losing live and hit but gaining a lot more def stats.

Edited by Bolvar

Agree on all points, some comments

1A) It's not trivial when to place knockdown/damage for mortar volley due to gameplay mechanics. Right now, I actually think it's rather nice in PvE to be able to close distance before people get up. Depending on how the effects are implemented, the damage and knockdown must/must not be at the same time. I would rather think the earlier which means that if the damage is moved earlier, the targets would be able to get up from the knockdown before you can reach them (and apply the blitz). In PvP, I don't find the mortar volley useful except in very special circumstances (door zerg defence)

1B) Full auto don't have the same restrictions as mortar volley, damage could be moved earlier (bullets also travel faster than grenades).

1D) Have noticed, this is for me a rather critical bug. All activations should interrupt the dodge animation or... A rather fun fix for this would be to make the dodge animation a "shadow" animation (like the Matrix bullet dodging) making the character split in two and thus leaving the character ready to make ability animations while the "shadow" animation can complete.

2A) Shields/armor against Force/tech attacks. This could be a try at rock/paper/scissor functionality as previously mentioned, but in that case, it would be nice to get it confirmed and looked over if it really works as intended as most classes have force/tech attacks.

3) Have not testet tactics tree in a larger extent, no comments

4F) Adding taunt is a great idea, or just make it a very high threat move to catch two flies in one fix (PvE threat problems and Energy blast usefulness)

5B) Elaras pistols. Seems like an easily fixed problem to change cunning to aim and very relevant.

5C) I don't want Jaxo as a companion, I think it's fine as it is :-)

----

That's all my comments. This post is very much appreciated and many +1:s and Likes to the op! Great work!

Edited by Treefinger

Sofar i experienced i did not suffer from pushback during full auto or ion cannon anymore.

I didnt read anything about it on patch notes, so it maybe a stealthfix =)

can somebody confirm this or is it just me?

----------------------------------------------------

according the pvp set.

I used to PvP in Tankgear, and buy'd some supercommando stuff. But "Tanking is usefull" in pvp was a mislead. Instead of Supercommando gear i will now switch to combat Tech

You cannot force players to attack you anyway. So the Most useful tanking abilty in pvp is Taunt to reduce someone damage on other players.

You can still use guard eventually regardlles of what spec you use. But switching cells during fight is not so much fun. Also i think all the damage we get through Guard is bybassed and not mittigated which is also a negative point on Guard aswell.

I absolutly agree to he tactics-tree point,

while using one gets the impression that it s busrt or dps as fine, but in reality it s miles behind the assault-spec, especialy dps-wise.

This is a heavy issue, since this should be our unique dps-tree and needs to be completly remodeled, synergie between the skills (more passiv gains), rework of gut, which is abolut useless in it s current state ( to heavy mitigation by armor) and an overall quite boring priolist (gut, hib, firepulse, stockstricke, ionpulse, 5stacks cannon which looking at the treamendous amount of mobs and encounters with knockback/similiar effects is useless most of the time).

I want to play tactics quite bad...the fast knife-slash (compare this animation to the rest of the trooper-animation-cycles), but in it s current state this spec has only a relevance when u play pvp-handball -> fix the unique vanguard dps-build.

Also, Companion issue:

Segeant Yuun's codex entry declares him an Electrostaff user...he's just Techstaff. I wonder if him and Vik are bugged and supposed to be able to equip more wpns, or just the codex entry is wrong.

Please acknowledge these issues, Bioware. It would go a long way to tell us they are being worked on so we don't think you are ignoring us.

Thanks

i agree, the worst part is seeing this post on the front page for a couple weeks and still not even a response. personally im starting to get really annoyed at bw, its like oth classes are higher priority.

I agree most of these need some serious attention. I hate the fact that not being super geared yet because I am not 50 but being as good as I can pretty much get and getting over 1/3 of my life taken off by an operative in 1 second in a WZ. My main is a gunslinger which makes me really sad to pvp as without PVP gear yet. So I rolled a tank class to be tougher and offer more support and find that most the skills do not work as intended half the time.

about the Storm an harpune issu...

Changing the position of Storm and Smoke Grenade woud be cool. I dont want to pvp without Storm but it is rly damn high in the tree.

Even if you have to lower or erase the dmg done of storm woud be ok