Consolidated Vanguard class issues

Guurzak

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

storm should absolutely be a standard skill and harpoon a shield skill.

I feel like storming an enemy position should be a staple of all troopers wheras harpooning an enemy seems rather specialized.

If they switched it the skills would be similar to kinetic shadows where T5 gives them force pull (harpoon) and a class skill is "force speed" (essentially storm but crappier).

i just want to say they should fix defensive stats for pve too, as there are some bosses where you dont shield/def anything (annilation droid, soa etc.... please tell me if im wrong) and i find it stupid that there is no reason to stay in tank gear, when using a tank build in dps gear gives the same tanking advantage but with more dps.

Great list.

However, as some people, I disagree with making storm baseline and harpoon requiring points spent in the defense tree. I feel that's really our signature move.

storm would be a signature move if it was baseline....

to me it makes sense that all troopers would know how to storm an enemy position.

Great list, I have one question, though.

Has there been any update on the mitigation issues? It's the only thing hold me from going to my Shield/Assault Hybrid build because I don't want"useless" mitigation talents, stats from gear etc. :(

Good list. I'd like to add this about talents - it's very odd that Reflexive Shield is deep in a DPS tree, when it is one of the best tanking traits.

Also agree about PVP - we really need some ways to raise our force/tech resists, and better ways to mitigate internal/elemental damage. We can taunt to reduce enemy damage unless they attack us, but if they do attack us we're almost as squishy as whatever DPS/healer they we've going after before. This leads me to more of a taunt-and-hide technique to actually reduce enemy damage. Not very tanky.

A minor issue - Assault Plastique and Sticky Grenade have the exact same tooltip (except for damage), even though one is single target and the other AoE. The wording should change to reflect that.

storm should absolutely be a standard skill and harpoon a shield skill.

I feel like storming an enemy position should be a staple of all troopers wheras harpooning an enemy seems rather specialized.

If they switched it the skills would be similar to kinetic shadows where T5 gives them force pull (harpoon) and a class skill is "force speed" (essentially storm but crappier).

Hmmm, I love harpoon but I'll be damned if it doesn't piss of my tank in flashpoints half the time either. It's so much fun in huttball ( gripping the ball carrier out of his entire group into fire for a quick win has helped carry many a bad team :D ) I don't think I'd be entirely cool with giving it up. But on the other hand, it's annoying to have an ability that's almost a must have as Tactics sometimes on a 35 second cooldown, that get's screwed over by Resolve.

I could go either way on that one honestly, it would be nice as tactics to have a charge.

Anyhow, glad the tactics synergy lacking made the list. There's just so much downtime sometimes, even when you can sit still and use pulse cannon, Ion Pulse kinda get's spammed at times to make up for the lack of other abilities that are off cooldown. Something to reset Stockstrike or Fire Pulse would be nice and keep our damage less predictable, even bursty.

Anyhow, glad the tactics synergy lacking made the list. There's just so much downtime sometimes, even when you can sit still and use pulse cannon, Ion Pulse kinda get's spammed at times to make up for the lack of other abilities that are off cooldown. Something to reset Stockstrike or Fire Pulse would be nice and keep our damage less predictable, even bursty.

I think the "free SS" on fire/ion pulse should finish its cd. like the HiB version in assault.

I think the "free SS" on fire/ion pulse should finish its cd. like the HiB version in assault.

I originally wasn't really digging it because that's a lot of free ammo attacks, and it has the chance to happen quite often. But I could see it being alright if the proc reduced Stockstrike's ammo cost to 1 or something.

I'd really like something for Fire Pulse honestly though, it's our biggest hitter on anyone, armor or no typically. But anything's better.

EDIT: And add Fire Pulse to the animation thing. It doesn't really screw up my attacks, but it seems to have a delayed response to when the damage should hit compared to when it get's used. It's not horrible for setting burst with Sticky Grenade and another attack, but sometimes you need to hit a healer hard right that instant :x

Edited by TehMerc

This:

----

7A) Endgame tanks find it difficult to hold aggro against endgame DPS, since the endgame DPS gear greatly increases DPS while the endgame tank gear does not greatly increase threat. Consider increasing the threat multiplier in tank stance to 80% or 100% or adding additional threat multiplier to endgame tank gear.

----

is what just pains me alot and I would love to see it fixed asap. I've had cases where I harpoon some dude's *** (normal mob, not a boss) and he keeps running at the DPS even without stopping for a second.

I raged this morning, I really *********** raged at the ability delay.

I raged because in one WZ, I was surrounded and smashed Neural Surge like a madman, but nothing happened before I was dead.

I raged because I slammed my 25% shield only to find out 2 seconds later, that it still hadn't done ****.

I raged because for the 100000th time, I noticed my full auto wasn't doing any damage, even though I was channeling and pointing at a guy (maybe they should have a little flag with "surprise!!!" come out of your gun when you use this ability, it'd work just as well).

And first and foremost, I raged because you see red circles of doom everywhere, constantly, pointing out where BH's aim their actually working ability, while Mortar Volley remains completely and utterly pointless to cast in 80% of the times and when you do start casting it, it points you out like the idiot you are for using it, before it can even begin to do damage.

Yeah, sorry, all the little annoyances have build up to one *********** big one. And I'm *********** tired of it.

Edited by Fdzzaigl

99% Agreed. I am not sure about switching harpoon and storm.

I like to share you something thats feel realy odd for me:

Trooper is primay a ranged class.

Vanguards are forced to limit that and close up but they do not have a generally better defense like the commando who stays away from the fight except shield which just dont mitigates so much damadge at all.

I would suggest:

Shield protects from energy and elemental - even elemental is a form of energy at all!

Kinetic damage should only be mitigated by armor. I jus't cant imagine how a personal shield should help against brute force.

Internal Damage it maybe our weak Spot, and so it is for every other class, too.

But where is the difference in playing as a tank? So they might raise our resitance to internal damage slightly?

Tanks are used to get a beating, so they wont suffer as much like other class who are not used to get a beating.

Threat-generation:

I'd like to see either a generally increase in added threat on ion cell or added threat to shield specc only skills, like Energy Blast or Storm!

I understand they dont put added threat to common skill shared by tank and dps Trees.

Also Tech-Power is lower on shields with contributes into less threat, too.

Because mostly of our Attacks or Tech-based.

Threat should never be a general concern wich is based on comparing stat.

It should be more a condern when i make failures during the fight. Like waisting taunts for example.

As Tanks we are supposed to stay Melee. Actually 4 to 10 Meters in generally, but our only skill with added Threat is Harpoon which is 10 Meter and higher and on a long cooldown.

That just don't feel right :)

And finally:

Everony else feeling sometime like a ball only to being kicked and/or dragged around?

In pvp Knockback, Kickdown, seem to be fun.

But the fun ends in Pve, when you are constantly kick around by groups. Especially when they are multiple npcs with Knockback in the Packs. In Pvp there is a Resolve that protecs a little, but why dont in pve?

Work in progress- please provide feedback.

1) Animation issues

1A) Mortar Volley does not do damage until over halfway through its cast bar, with a third of its damage landing well after the cast bar is complete. In contrast, Bounty Hunter's "Death From Above" mirror ability begins doing damage immediately.

I dont think it does. The delay is so the people you are targetting can move. You know, that big circle that appears on the floor. Well I know when a Bounty Hunter is going to attack me by that same circle, and I move. I do not take damage. What the bounty hunter has is better animation in that he takes off where was we stand there looking like idiots.

Thank you for summarising.

A few of points I'd like to add:

- When using a Relic or Adrenal immediately before activating Storm, the ability can be delayed by half a second, or require a second activation. This needs to be instant, as with other abilities used after Relics/Adrenals.

- Occasionally, after running and coming to a stop to activate Mortar Volley, an message is displayed stating that the ability cannot be used whilst moving, even if you are not. As the ability is targeted and must be re-activated, this wastes more time.

- More of a preference than an issue. I run a 21/2/18 hybrid on my female Vanguard, and every time Ionic Accelerator procs, she cackles annoyingly.

Whilst I appreciate an audible notification that my free HIB is ready for use, a less irritating version would be better.