Lame Space Combat because of Licensing?

WyvernX

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWG had a space combat system that was based off of the X-Wing & TIE Fighter games, and it was largely ignored by the player base there. Maybe Bioware simply doesn't want to put in the effort that SOE did for something that they think most players won't take advantage of?

JTL was nothing like the X wing tie fighter games. JTL was cool for an mmo, Droid buffs, and spawn kill missions and was pretty boring once you got good at it. Mastered all 9 squads out of dislike of the CU and NGE. I did really like the whole RE system though.

The reason it was ignored for the most part was the Jedi grind.. Everything was ignored over the Jedi grind.

But man i miss X-wing vrs Tie, even XWA, and what i would give to play B.O.P. with cool people on the old Microsoft gaming zone! LOL

Edited by Razot

I'm happy that its not a full-featured space flight simulator, because it gives everyone the opportunity to participate in it. Does it appeal to everyone? No. I am grateful though, I don't have to plug in my joystick and throttle to enjoy it.

I personally, am hoping this update that was mentioned, involves multiplayer PvE space combat. For example, a flashpoint style mission, where you are shuttled out to a battle cruiser, and then dropped into a fighter, and sent to destroy some enemies, or satellites, or whatever, and then have the same decision mechanics involved.

The space combat is "accessible" because they didn't want casual players who familiarized themselves with the ground game to be overwhelmed with the complexity of a full-fledged space simulator.

This is what happened with Jump to Lightspeed in that other Star Wars MMO.

Difficult for us to understand, but that is the reason.

OP please provide a link or a source for your info. Not because I think you're right or because I think Bioware should implement this kind of thing into this particular game but because the idea of a new X-Wing vs TIE Fighter excites me greatly. So yeah, post a link please.

It is all about personal preference. I LOVE the space combat mini-game in SWTOR. I do my dailies and the like and have a good time with it. I would like for it to be expanded but I do NOT want a X-wing/TIE space sim. I don't particularly enjoy them. I thought SWG's Jump to Lightspeed was clunky and crappy.

Something more like SW: Battlefront 2 where you have some free flight but not a sim, mixed with on foot objectives is the way to go.

I kinda agree with this. I enjoy the space mission mini-games as they are. I wouldn't mind them being expanded though, rather than on rails, give me a sphere.. and a decent sized one, with the space combat taking place within. If you leave the boundaries of the sphere for too long (5-10 seconds) then you "abort" the mission and jump to light speed out.

Full roaming free-travel space though.. Nah, I think something like that would pull too many resources from the meat and potatoes of the game.

Space Combat – We will continue to add missions to the space game. We also have a special project going on right now that will expand space gameplay in a significant way... for now the details will have to remain under wraps.

That took about 3 seconds to click to blog and paste it here....

Space Combat – We will continue to add missions to the space game. We also have a special project going on right now that will expand space gameplay in a significant way... for now the details will have to remain under wraps.

That took about 3 seconds to click to blog and paste it here....

mad forum skillz are mad.

I think this is the article the OP must have seen...

X-Wing and Tie Fighter dev LucasArts is hiring staff for an Aerial Combat Title.

Experience with flight sims, aerial shooters and "especially space-based shooters" is considered "a plus", according to a senior gameplay engineer job advert.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-15-lucasarts-making-aerial-combat-title

I have no experience or proof on why the space combat it is as it is .

But I do think that it has to do with the engine itself. Some engines are not designed for an specific gametype as it simply needs to be optimized for it.

A space gametype means that the engine needs an interesting algorythm of rendering let's say an specific ammount of asteroids on different size and shapes, you name it.

Either way, just because we're playing Star Wars doesn't mean this is a Space related game at all.

I think this is the article the OP must have seen...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-15-lucasarts-making-aerial-combat-title

Yeah, back on page 2 of this thread I had already posted a couple links regarding this and another article...

I'm unsure where the OP is getting his/her info but the best I could find on the web was a 3 year old article here

-and-

There was another "hint" here last September.

Both references to it are almost complete speculation however. The 3 year old one.... Ehhhh, perhaps. That was 3 years ago though.

The space combat is only for fun and relax while you wait to find a group or whatever. Maybe you will like a fully functional space combat simulator, why stop there trow in a planetary battles RTS, and a bonus racing game.....

Get a grip, this is an MMO it has nothing to do with licensing. If you want fully featured space combat get another title.

Sad, but I suppose if I want a fully featured MMO I'll have to do the same.

I've read that LucasArts may be working on a new game in the X-Wing/Tie Fighter series. Could that explain why the whole space combat part of the game is single player and an extremely lame shooting gallery on rails? BW may not have the rights to do anything else.

That is the only reason I can think of that space missions are as they are. Thoughts?

Oh man I've been waiting for this! Even an HD remake of the original would be good!

*shrug* Considering the developers have already shown their lack of taste by adding jumping puzzles to the game, I just assumed their apparent decision that "Rebel Assault" was a better series than "X-wing/Tie-fighter" simply more evidence of said lack of taste.

• 3 weeks later...

development time and money? you do know this game probably had a longer development time than any other mmo right? hehe...

that's is what space combat SHOULD BE in this game at a bare minimum... to not do at the very least get that type of space implemented could be considered irresponsible... space combat in this game is worse than a game that came out in June of 2003...

To those requesting a link... this one looks interesting... with an actual talking head... with an alleged email interview...

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/697997/lucasarts-teasing-x-wing-tie-fighter-announcement/

I'm not getting into the whole "why didn't they develop a better space game" argument. I remember all of this stuff back from 2008/2009 when we first found out that there would be NO space or very limited space action.

It was clearly stated that they were focusing on the ground game to make that the best possible component they could make, and would have plenty of time to add in space later.

The space game that we see now was their foot forward to have space content from the moment of launch in a way that could be accomplished with existing schedules and development roadmaps and available resources.

If you want to see a game that focused the other way around, check out Star Trek Online, that had a fantastic space component (until you hit endgame) and had a ground component that was mind-numbingly boring, and still is IMHO even with FPS twitch play.

I think if they can get customizable ships and space PVP going with leaderboards and competitions and whatnot I'd be satisfied for an even longer amount of time.

Of course, being able to man a single ship with multiple players, with a pilot and gunners would be fantastic. Just sayin'... :)

Edited by Kubernetic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.