To the "Nothing to do at 50" crowd.

Sparklehorse

How is grinding dailies and redoing dungeons any different to what people are doing in WoW?

There was a very long period between WotLK and Cata, where people just grinded the same heroics, and that was in addition to the time they grinded them since the start of WotLK. And you couldn't choose the heroic in a random heroic for the 2 frost emblems, so you ended up doing the original heroics like utgarde keep for years. You've only been grinding in SW:TOR for, what, 3 months?

I just don't understand, why is grinding in SW:TOR under so much scrutiny, yet when WoW does it, it's ok? How come these people were never bored with grinding in WoW for years, but when they come to SW:TOR for 3 months, it is all of a sudden the biggest crime in MMO history?

Im not saying its different in that aspect, I personally never did when I ran out of content I just did not play anymore and went outside or played something else.

secondly If I was sick of doing these things for a while I would gather some mates and go raid a city of the opposite faction and generally just be a nuisance around lowbie areas, after all that is what a PvP server is for and if you don't like that and QQ then go transfer to a PVE server.

So I think a couple things I said do to with WoW and this are quite valid in that respect.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 months in and im not bored. Actually whenever i log on i have something to do. I think its because i dont play that much compared to when i played WoW, imo the quality of stuff is better in SWTOR..

So the way i see it, right now this game is not for hardcore gamers and you get the best out of it as casual.

How is grinding dailies and redoing dungeons any different to what people are doing in WoW?

There was a very long period between WotLK and Cata, where people just grinded the same heroics, and that was in addition to the time they grinded them since the start of WotLK. And you couldn't choose the heroic in a random heroic for the 2 frost emblems, so you ended up doing the original heroics like utgarde keep for years. You've only been grinding in SW:TOR for, what, 3 months?

I just don't understand, why is grinding in SW:TOR under so much scrutiny, yet when WoW does it, it's ok? How come these people were never bored with grinding in WoW for years, but when they come to SW:TOR for 3 months, it is all of a sudden the biggest crime in MMO history?

Maybe the fact it's no different to what people are doing in WoW is exactly the problem.

Personally I hated grinding dailies and redoing dungeons in WoW, so I never did it - I quit the game. So I've no interest in doing the same thing in another game.

But for those that did spend years grinding dailies and redoing dungeons in WoW, the fact that they are now playing SWTOR might mean that they got bored of it and so again, have no particular interest in doing it again in another game. People quit WoW and started playing SWTOR for a reason, after all.

At 50 you can:

1: Run Flash Points.

I hate PvE

2: Run Hard Mode Flash Points.

See answer to #1

3: Do daily repeatable quests on Illum for gear upgrades or just for credits or just for (gasp) fun.

Yes, because rinse and repeat content is always so much fun... especially after the 50th time.

4: Do repeatable group quests on other planets, some of which have specific goals in mind, for instance, there is a planet where you can do daily group quests that reward orange level gear specifically for your companions.

See answer to #1

5: Craft. Believe it or not, some people LOVe doing this and it is actually quite entertaining in this game.

Believe it or not, I hate crafting.

6: PVP. It's pretty good here. Lots of reasons to do this, particularly with the coming ranking system. This will keep some people very busy for days on end.

Did you just say PvP is pretty good here? Really? We must not be playing the same game... because the game I'm playing has the worst epic fail ever to be launched under the guise of "Open-world PvP" in MMO history ...oh yeah... and let's not forget everyone's favorite "Hutball" that we get to play over and over and over and over and over and over! Why? Because we like it! (has nothing to do with the fact that we don't get a choice of which warzones we queue for).

7: Socialize. Yes, people do still like to just "hang out" and have fun shooting the breeze. Get in there and meet new people you anti-social gits!

You consider spending time typing in a video game to people you don't know to be socializing? Even more strange is that you actually think this behavior is fun! Me? I'd rather just kill them than chat with them.

8: Space Combat. Many people enjoy this very much.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... you didn't seriously just say people enjoy this did you? Hold on a second while I catch my breath... hahahahahahahahahahaaha!!!

9: Run normal mode, 8 man operations. Some good story here and very simple to organize and complete.

See answer to #1

10: Run hard mode, 8 man operations. Again, easy to organize but a much steeper learning curve with gear rewards that reflect this.

See answer to #1

11: Run 16 man normal operations. Harder to organize but much more epic in scale. If you have a big guild or a huge friends list or both, it's well worth the time to organize one of these and get it going.

See answer to #1

12: Run 16 man operations on hard mode. Not for the feint of heart but just what the doctor ordered for others.

See answer to #1

So the point of my post is to illustrate to the OP, that assuming everyone likes the same things he/she does is simply ridiculous. Sure there are plenty of things in SWTOR to do. But are any of those things fun and entertaining for other players like myself? Probably not. I rolled on a PvP server because I was hoping for massive open-field combat where Republic and Empire could duke it out, day and night, for galactic dominance. What I got instead was a broken open-world PvP zone, three whole warzones to grind repeatedly till I pull my hair out, and absolutely NO rewards if I kill an enemy player somewhere in the game world. Gee... sounds like a winner to me!

Edited by Musezy

So the point of my post is to illustrate to the OP, that assuming everyone likes the same things he/she does is simply ridiculous. Sure there are plenty of things in SWTOR to do. But are any of those things fun and entertaining for other players like myself? Probably not. I rolled on a PvP server because I was hoping for massive open-field combat where Republic and Empire could duke it out, day and night, for galactic dominance. What I got instead was a broken open-world PvP zone, three whole warzones to grind repeatedly till I pull my hair out, and absolutely NO rewards if I kill an enemy player somewhere in the game world. Gee... sounds like a winner to me!

Trend here, is the people singing the games praises typically haven't made it to 50 after 3 months game play, and think they deserve a cookie for playing a game at a far slower pace than the typical 20-25 hours per week. They think BW deserves a cookie for producing a game without enough quality content to satisfy even the industry standard casual player. They haven't stared the tedium that is 50 down the throat and went "aw crap". Or they're on one of the few servers with decent pops, and just can't fathom the reality of being on a lightly populated server...where we are trapped by BWs poor decisions. They don't PvP or raid, and actively sneer at people that do. They don't get it, when told that the raids are broken, that PvP is broken, and the dailies are wrist-slitting boring. Doesn't impact them, and never will. They don't understand the concept that players generally only jump through repetitive hoops if theres a "reward" in it of some kind, whether it's gear or character development.

Going by MMORPG demographics, BW has managed to put out a game that only appeals to roughly 5% of the gaming market, the casual "serial re-roller" who has no connection to their character, and no real desire to develop that character...in a game that supposedly centers around storyline. Sounds like a winner to me too!

I really want to level my alt and I agree with these people. DAILIES ARE HAIR-PULLING-OUT BORING!! The only reason I still do dailies is to max out Skadege's affection and the daily coommendations and the second I have 360 commendations I will never do dailies again because all I need is my Rakata implant and earpiece after that it's just pointless and I would rather go get pwned on my alt than pwn repeatedly on my main.

Bugged and rewards are meh.

Woopie do, grind the same quest over and over, so immersive voice acting oh my god I feel so heroic.

Biochem or bust it seems, for their reusable consumables, no point crafting armors and whatnot.

by the time I got enough centurion commendations for one piece of centurion gear, I had all Champion pieces except gloves, eventually the same will happen with battlemaster.

eh...

Starfox only goes so far

Here's where you insert Ohlen's quote regarding a group of heroes vs one big monster, "its not heroic guys"

I guess its either grind valor rank so I can RNG some battlemaster gear, and grind operations in the meantime.

hes right!

lol

the fanboys will be in fire now for sure

What the OP doesn't understand is that for many of us, we are exactly where we were at when we quit WOW. Sitting around grinding finished content while we wait for the next content patch, just spinning wheels. It's not just a problem with this game, it's the entire genre.

I blame it on the real lack of anything tangible to fight over. Anarchy Online Tower Battles, RVR in DAOC, Castle Sieges in Lineage 1 and 2, that was the real content to those games. Nothing matters in today's games cause there is nothing to show for it except some gear that everyone else has. "...but RocNessMonster what about Ilum?" I dont really feel any personal stake in this activity, its just like another WZ that will be in contention in another 15 minutes.

Edited by RocNessMonster

I hit 50 last week and between running hard mode flash points, doing dailies on Illum, gearing 6 characters (yes you need to gear your companions as well,) slowly working on my pvp ranking, crafting, I am finding that there isn't enough time in the day to accomplish all of my daily goals.

Last night my guild completed EV, 8 man. It took about 3 hours and was good fun with some awesome content. After EV we cleared Hutt Hospitality, the other operation (raid.) It took less than 30 minutes to organize these and on normal mode they are no more difficult than a hard mode flash point. Overall, a very fun and interesting way to spend 3 hours on a Sunday evening with friends.

So let us be very clear here.

At 50 you can:

3: Do daily repeatable quests on Illum for gear upgrades or just for credits or just for (gasp) fun.

4: Do repeatable group quests on other planets, some of which have specific goals in mind, for instance, there is a planet where you can do daily group quests that reward orange level gear specifically for your companions.

5: Craft. Believe it or not, some people LOVe doing this and it is actually quite entertaining in this game.

6: PVP. It's pretty good here. Lots of reasons to do this, particularly with the coming ranking system. This will keep some people very busy for days on end.

7: Socialize. Yes, people do still like to just "hang out" and have fun shooting the breeze. Get in there and meet new people you anti-social gits!

9: Run normal mode, 8 man operations. Some good story here and very simple to organize and complete.

10: Run hard mode, 8 man operations. Again, easy to organize but a much steeper learning curve with gear rewards that reflect this.

11: Run 16 man normal operations. Harder to organize but much more epic in scale. If you have a big guild or a huge friends list or both, it's well worth the time to organize one of these and get it going.

12: Run 16 man operations on hard mode. Not for the feint of heart but just what the doctor ordered for others.

So there. Took me 5 minutes to think of 12 things you can do at 50. This list encompasses all player types and I dare you to find time to do all of these and still be bored.

I submit that if people are bored at 50, the problem lies in the person themselves and not with the content that has been provided.

It's like my dear old granny used to say. If you're bored, you're boring.

Just like all mmo's on the market there is the basic 5 things you can do, you broke them down to the sub catagory, which is fine, there is just as much to do at end game in TOR as there is any other mmo.

What I would like to see, is more diversity, adding more raids and flash points are good but at the end of the day just more of the same thing, this is where things like pod racing, swoop racing, different elements could come into play, but op I agree with you tons of things to do here, but it seem like allot of people over look it..

• 2 weeks later...
Makes No difference what there is to do at level 50 if your unable to find the people to do it with.

I agree completely. As a healer I spend quite awhile trying to find folks to do 4 man heroic dailies. I am to the point of giving up because of this. It's not my job to find players for this game so recruit a friend is not an answer. Losing RL friends cause i brang them into a game I am losing faith in might be a poblem in RL duh

There's a lot of complaining, not a lot of suggestions.

What are we? Three month out from release and people are bored? Really?

Eight possible character story lines, sixteen advanced classes.

How many of the "Nothing to do" crowd have bothered leveling their alts?

With a lvl 50 able to farm credits fairly easily, there's no excuse for those alts not to be well geared, either. :rolleyes:

Yea, the world quests are always the same, but there's no reason you can't make different choices along the way. Some will have lasting effects, others will just give you an ending you weren't expecting.

I hit 50 last week and between running hard mode flash points, doing dailies on Illum, gearing 6 characters (yes you need to gear your companions as well,) slowly working on my pvp ranking, crafting, I am finding that there isn't enough time in the day to accomplish all of my daily goals.

Last night my guild completed EV, 8 man. It took about 3 hours and was good fun with some awesome content. After EV we cleared Hutt Hospitality, the other operation (raid.) It took less than 30 minutes to organize these and on normal mode they are no more difficult than a hard mode flash point. Overall, a very fun and interesting way to spend 3 hours on a Sunday evening with friends.

At 50 you can:

/snip

I have 1 thing to say to you...

Come back here with the same post in 8 weeks when you have 3 50's and have done all this over and over...

I cannot stress enough How there is the perfect amount of End Game content......The issue is there is NOTHING to do in-between...

You say craft....Craft what...My companion does it...

You say do space, I do for 30mins then when my daily is done its pointless...

Running Flashpoint and OP over and over again is boring, and there is ABSOLUTELY nothing in this game to fill the gaps, Ive done 3 Flashpoints since 7pm tonight, now i am standing on fleet with nothing to do.....????

I have all the datacrons, I cant be bothered to collect lore, i have 3 alts, 2 at 50 and 1 at 44....

I hit 50 last week and between running hard mode flash points, doing dailies on Illum, gearing 6 characters (yes you need to gear your companions as well,) slowly working on my pvp ranking, crafting, I am finding that there isn't enough time in the day to accomplish all of my daily goals..

I felt as good about the game as you do when I was where you are. BTW, you will discover that gearing companions for the handfull of dailies you don't even need your companion to do is pointless. I've geared my companions with all the commendations I'll never use.

Again, when I was where you are now, I was having fun. Three weeks later and not soo much.

Yes let us.

At 50 you can:

So there. Took me 5 minutes to think of 12 things you can do at 50. This list encompasses all player types and I dare you to find time to do all of these and still be bored..

I'm not going to pick each one of your non points apart rather than maybe try to make you understand the deal. They played it way too safe and shallow in this game and the people who are bored have already beaten the pants off most if not all of "the things to do" that you listed. My house has a den, it has new paint, I could always paint it again for something to do. Now before you say painting your den isn't as fun as playing a video game, you're right. However PROGRESSION is what makes games like these fun for me. Without satisfying character progression, I'm not playing mmos.

I submit that if people are bored at 50, the problem lies in the person themselves and not with the content that has been provided.

It's like my dear old granny used to say. If you're bored, you're boring.

I submit that the lack of content depth and character progression makes this game a short ride and it sounds like your dear old granny was easily amused.

find me an MMO that has dailies deserving a nomination for super fan oscar.

you are just one more parrot.

./gives Polly a craker.

I liked the sunwell dailies, they were short & sweet, somewhat fun, and didn't feel as much like a chore as anyother dailies I've done in mmos. The sunwell dailies get my vote for oscar nomination.

So,

Level, Craft, talk to people, raid and quest (do dailies.)

Ok this is every MMO on the planet Earth.

let me guess Guild Wars 2 will change everything. instead of experience your CD-ROM drive will shoot out money and all your hopes and dreams will come true once you hit max level

amiright?

let me guess Guild Wars 2 will change everything. instead of experience your CD-ROM drive will shoot out money and all your hopes and dreams will come true once you hit max level

amiright?

Your mount will also have glitter farts....

Edited by PostalTwinkie

This is where I stopped reading, because you haven't been 50 long enough to understand our situation. After you are 50, on several characters, for awhile you can come talk to us about this issue.

That's it really. I log in 2 times a week for ~ 3 hours each day... to raid 8 man hm/nm and that is all. I have no reason to run Flashpoints with my main, I would with my alts, but they are both dps and standing on the fleet forever and trying to find a healer for hours is not fun.

PvP doesn't interest me for a huge amount of time, I play 1-2 wz a month maybe, I'm sick of dailies and the only ones that would actually help my gear I can't do most of the time because there is nobody willing to do the H2 quests, everything else is useless. Space Combat is boring, I got all epic upgrades on my ship and could clear the maps sleeping, ops is the same as fps, crafting is a joke once maxed out, there is no reason to RE anything or otherwise invest time/creds whatever.. speaking of creds, sitting on about 8 million so no reason to farm anything.

I miss things like farming reputation or doing achievements for titles, pets and mounts or running FPs with a LFG tool for badges to at least equip my companions... but the comm. system is so bad that it would take forever to get them all in columni gear. I rememeber in Rift I'd sometimes just farm artifacts for an hour or two while listening to music or watching a game or something or do some achievements for points/pets etc... SWTOR is just so linear... you can completely skip normal mode FPs, you run a few HC fps maybe until you find a grp to faceroll through Normal Mode Ops and that's it, you're stuck, there is no more progression gearwise except scheduled raiding or a lot of PVP grinding.