Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

This game takes travelling back 7 years

Kahldor

I do not come to the forums much. I'd rather be in game, but I am starting to agree with the people who say that there needs to be an easier way to get around and be around others. The constant loading screens when you are trying to travel is annoying and archaic.

• Many games used to pride themselves on seamless worlds. SWTOR spits in the face of a seamless world. By making you and your group mates take 3 forms of transportation to party up.

• Sharding makes the world feel more empty. Even more so since server populations have started to diminish. Having to "load screen" to join your group is ridiculous.

• Having to run through 3 sreens to get back and forth to your ship is overkill. Yes it is immersive and believable, but there is a fine balance between that and functionally convenient.

My suggestions would be to eliminate SOME of the load screen opportunities and eliminate sharding. This game has too much potential for it to die by way of an archaic travel system. It feels like the birthchild of Mass Effect and Kotor. Both great games. Both with tons of loading screens during travel.

Edited by Kahldor

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick port to your ship (1 hour or 30 min cooldown) would fix a lot of this for me...

THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, annnndddd THIS.

When I first found the Emergency Fleet Path I got extremely excited.. until I used it and realized it had an 18 hour cooldown.

THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, annnndddd THIS.

When I first found the Emergency Fleet Path I got extremely excited.. until I used it and realized it had an 18 hour cooldown.

Get a security token, apply it to account, and get the 1h CD fleet passes sold for 1k at the security key vendor. Problem solved. Yes, it costs you $5, but Bioware is probably making little to no profit on it, and your account is better protected.

I'd support a "Port To Ship" on a separate cooldown from Quick Travel/Fleet Pass. Maybe an hour?

Multiple bind-points per world are a huge advantage over "One bind point at a time"; that's not a feature I've seen in other MMOs, but of course I might have missed it. (I remember EQ, where if you forgot to update your bind point near to the zone you were in, you could have a multi-hour run back. Yes. HOUR. Of running. Or spamming for a druid to port you.)

I'd like to have the "launch ship" animation NOT trigger until I went to the nav console and left the world. Maybe I want to go back to my ship to check my locker or do something else, not go into orbit?

World sharding could probably be eliminated, or the threshold raised.

I generally oppose any other kind of teleport/instatravel. We already have a quick travel with a short cooldown to multiple points on the world, AND a network of speeders on each planet. The last thing we need is a WoW style "Teleport to dungeon, teleport to Ironf^^^ Fleet, teleport to dungeon" game.

EDIT: A "seamless world" is one where the world isn't just a series of small instances, but a world, with distances between points that must be traveled. Having you need to run/speeder to meet your group is what makes the world seamless. Teleport-to-group is what would "spit in the face" of a seamless world.

Edited by LizardSF

Get a security token, apply it to account, and get the 1h CD fleet passes sold for 1k at the security key vendor. Problem solved. Yes, it costs you $5, but Bioware is probably making little to no profit on it, and your account is better protected.

1) I don't want to input a random number every time I log in.

2) I don't want my account better protected.

3) What happens when I inevitably lose my security key?

you can buy containers of those things from china at 10-20 cents per unit. not making any money lmao.

Free for the iPhone version.

Although I've heard it can be a paint in the rear when doing restores to your phone, which could wipe the connection and cause a headache to reset.

I guess the way around that is if you plan to do a restore to the phone, disconnect your account from the authenticator first.

Orrr, what if you connect your account to the authenticator, buy a bunch of CD passes, then disconnect the authenticator every time? A little inconvenient, but if you're weary about the program, that's a thought.

1) I don't want to input a random number every time I log in.

2) I don't want my account better protected.

3) What happens when I inevitably lose my security key?

Well, those are your choices if you want a more immediate option. There's no telling IF BW will implement anything else, and if they do, it definitely isn't going to be next patch, if anytime soon.

If you lose your key, you have to contact CS to reset your login.

I don't get where you guys are talking about multiple loading screens.

OHHHH, you're talking about the Fade to blacks! Those aren't the same, get your terminology right.

You take two elevators to get to/from your ship. It makes it feel like you're actually in a spaceport.

Oblivion and Skyrim both have the "quick travel" system. While you have to travel to each of the places to get it, getting a "quick, let me get to this place instantly" makes the world feel so much smaller.

Sharding is the most assinine idea to have ever come to an MMO, and it's ridiculous that BioWare actually decided to use it -- especially since we're already split up into planets, making worlds feel empty as it is.

I really don't get the argument against sharding. Its not a bad concept. I don't want to fight my fellow reps to kill this one Imp Commander which spawns once every 10 minutes. Its stupid. Sharding encourages progress and decreases bottlenecking due to the lack of resources (where resources in this case are respawning baddies and objectives).

there's no need for these "airlocks" you have to run through, just cut them out completely and have your ship area connect directly to the station or whatever you are on, with no loading screen between them, just have a green portal which phases it for each person. and allow speeders in spaceports and stations. fixed.

Fleet passes, sold by the security key vendor cost 1K credits, are stackable (they are bop though), and have a one hour cool down.

Kill yourself and port to nearest facility (hopefully with a travel route). Consider the armor penalty the traveling fee.

That's what I do from time to time =P

I did that by accident yesterday and got to the outpost I hadn't been able to find.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.