[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the low res armor in the preview screen? Is that "working as intended" too?

Thats a side effect of the thing they are using to make them look bad. Force mipmaps into a higher quality and see your companions preview. It looks fine then.

Exactly this, meaning you'd get the worst form of AA knowing Bioware's incompetence when it comes to PC games.

Every Bioware game has tons of options to adgust. DAII even got high res textures as a seperate download. So Bioware knows how to make PC games.

So fingers crossed they step up their game for ToR.

I've played countless hours of even games as low as RS, graphics isn't the problem, its the inability to choose, and the ridiculous tactics they are taking.

I played this game solid with the highest settings in beta, but now all the sudden my computer is unable to handle it? Complete ********

Did it really run "solid" when there were more than 8-10 players around, or just "solid" when you were questing solo and doing flashpoints?

I think it's completely fair game for them to not allow settings that no hardware can reasonably pull off in all areas of gameplay, but if the main problem is performance when there's a large number of players around letting us always have "ultra" textures on ourselves and our companions (because let's be honest, nobody really gives a **** about how good the whomp rats we're killing look) would be a decent middle ground.

I actually think its almost on a per-armor basis.

I could switch to a different armor set, and the textures would be improved.

But the level 40 JK armor I'm wearing looks absolutely atrocious.

I second this. Or some users out there are having another unknown bug or whatever that gimps their texture, because I have never encountered anything as low quality as that poor armour on that trooper (or whatever class it is, resolution is to crappy to tell) on the speeder. I have clearly seen difference in texture quality on different pieces of gear, but nothing as bad as that. That's just.. Wow.. Feel sorry if you are playing on "high" resolution and that is what you see.

My "high" resolution is not as good as I wanted it to be, but it's better than that. As I will most likely miss any potential reply to this post, feel free to send me a message and I will supply you with screens on how it looks for me.

How can I put this to the designers... OPTIONS ARE GOOD. I think that covers it.

Leave "Low" and "High" as they are now.

Add a new selection of:

"No High Resolution Textures"

(Pretty straight forward)

"View High Resolution Textures on Player Character and Player Companions"

(Let's people see themselves and companions in high res without the major issues in your post of trying to show everyone, gotten in game would make people happier that you are at least trying to do something, and quite frankly I'd be happy with for a while)

"View High Resolution Textures on all in game characters."

(Could be added at a later date if enough people continue asking for it, and with the above option as a compromise, worked on over a longer period and done right, if at all)

PLEASE DO THIS

(or some variant there of because it would pacify me quite well to just see myself and companion in higher res textures during normal play)

Every Bioware game has tons of options to adgust. DAII even got high res textures as a seperate download. So Bioware knows how to make PC games.

Yeah and ME2/DA were supposed to have full support for multi-monitor gaming, Bioware is a console developer at heart and it shows, especially with this release.

Troopers really have it the worst. A lot of their armor looks particularly bad.

Yeah and ME2/DA were supposed to have full support for multi-monitor gaming, Bioware is a console developer at heart and it shows, especially with this release.

Haven't really looked into that but again that's one thing and when you compare all the other ports we get of games Bioware's are a step up. You get a lot of graphic options to tweak and the games ran fine.

You can't call them a console developer at heart considering that the majority of their games were PC exclusive or PC lead.

The only ones that were console lead were Mass Effect, ME2, and DAII.

We'll see what future titles are like though.

But just to say my point again about the high res textures I think it's safe to say many of us for the moment just want our own characters to look like they do in cinematics. That would be a change that would make a lot of us very happy.

Edited by Improv-

List one Bioware game with an in game AA option.

Pfft, really Bioware? Medium graphics was a 'bug'?

You didn't give us hi-res textures because you didn't think our rigs could take them?

I can run BF3 on Ultra with a steady 100+ FPS and you don't think I can handle a few stylized Jedi with some decent textures? Not even the option to do so? You're not giving us access to the same graphical quality you advertised?

You're using preset head and face models for crying out loud, some of the models are even identical except for a slightly altered texture map over the top.

It doesn't matter anyway, I've already cancelled my sub and deeply, deeply regret purchasing this game.

I honestly wish I could a refund on the game and the time it's robbed from me over the last week.

You're forgetting the fact that Dragon Age 2 looked like garbage and still ran worse than The Witcher 2.

Don't make me post an image of some of the random NPCs.

Well, I knew this "canned PR" response would be coming. I'm completely appauled by this myself. The amount of money that was spent to make this game only to offer poor quality graphics for our characters is just a crime.

BioWare clearly did this to make this game run on about any type of PC so they could rake in the money. Sounds like Blizzard.

From what I can "read" they stated there will be a coming solution. Second you can edit the ini file but it is not supported- cool! And they have to ease the throttle back for the low end computers. So- rants and all=- there will be a solution coming. Seriously- a solution available if you can edit a file or two.....:rolleyes:

From what I can "read" they stated there will be a coming solution. Second you can edit the ini file but it is not supported- cool! And they have to ease the throttle back for the low end computers. So- rants and all=- there will be a solution coming. Seriously- a solution available if you can edit a file or two.....:rolleyes:

There is no ini tweak that enables high-resolution textures.

I don't know if you've ever coded anything, but it doesn't create itself. It isn't a bug. It was intended and working and then disabled. There were 3 WORKING settings in beta, I tried all 3 out and all 3 were dramatically different from the next.

I don't know if you have ever coded anything, but it is entirely possible that an extra menu option is a bug. That doesn't mean it was never working as intended, but that is not at all what Stephen said.

After they decided to reduce texture quality, they also decided to remove the "medium" option. It remained, however, and that is what we call a bug. The fact that "high" exists yet does nothing lends credibility to something small like some sort of zero-based/index/fencepost error.

And heres my proof. The screenshots were taken durring beta! Guess what folks, the HIGH RES was in beta. Guess what folks, it's called a BETA for a reason. The HIGH res was removed becuase durring their BETA TESTING their learned that it was a problem. Guess what folks. Just becuase their pictures are out of date does not mean their false advertising. It just means they don't wanna work on something they already worked on.. Thus giving them more time to work on other things that we actually do need. Now, stephen said their working on a way to deliver us with high res eventually, and like he said IT'S NOT AN OVERNIGHT CHANGE. So Stop QQ'n and go play something else if your just SO upset over this.

GUESS WHAT MR CLUELESS

THEY SOLD THE GAME USING THESE GRAPHICS!

It's a lie plain and simple, facts are this, people were angry before, they are even more so now.

The white knight numbers are dwindling, you are fighting a losing battle, enjoy your stay, it will be short lived.

Editing the ini wont do anything. Unless someone can make a .dll that forces the client to run without the limits then we are stuck with these muddy armor textures that look less detailed than armors from a game that came out in 2002.

Its great that the community is so outspoken when it comes to this issue...the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I like bioware, I know design and programming is a lot of hard work, but this is a subscription based game. If BW wants to keep money coming in, they will have no choice but to hear their customers.

We want what was advertised...bottom line...no more..no less.

Edited by bkpiazza

I'm not an expert in this field, but can someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Does it cost Bioware/EA more money to be running servers that gamers are processing other characters with hi-resolution textures? Would it take more information to send/receive since the textures files are larger?

If this is true, then I can see why they want to optimize it.

Edited by EIGHTT

I don't see what stopped him from forcing AA?

He can rejoice in any way because the next patch will bring back AA to in game options.

Did you look at your ini fle lately ?

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------//

// WARNING: ** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE ** //

// Making any changes to this document will result in the corruption of //

// your install and will require the use of the repair utility. //

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------//

[Renderer]

Width=1152

Height=864

WindowX=-1

WindowY=-1

FullScreen=true

doShadows=true

[Repository]

BaseResourceFileName=..\..\Assets\swtor_

So you understand that your not supposed to edit this file. and that

Anti aliasing = 4

adding that to your current ini does absloutely nothing to your ingame settings as everything else that works in conjunction with AA is not present. you realize the option was removed because AA does not work for some systems period even if you force it?

You understand that the reason this is happening is because they are trying to retrofit their hero engine that has not seen an update since 2007. Look it is what it is the cut features to make a release . Lets get honest now and give the community a straight answer of we are working on it we realise the graphics are not matching the marketed screens. We will have this fixed in X amount of time. dont defend the non defensible.