Macros - ETA?

Bald_Haliaeetus

Seems to me if people have all these special mice and keyboards, macros would do more to even the playing field than create an unfair advantage, as they would be available to everyone who owns the game.

I personally really enjoy writing macros, and setting up my character around them. It makes the character feel more like it's mine, a nice custom fit. So I am probably biased on this issue.

But I would really like to see them in game, and I think they would be a great edition especially for marauders and other complex classes which at the moment seriously infringe on your ability to watch the action and buffs/procs/cooldowns at the same time.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You talk of Logic but then fail to use it lol, Macros are not important and people will not leave over them, unless they are noobs who cant play a game without Noob tools being added to the game.

Macros have no relevance on other aspects of the game.

Allowing macros does not mean there will be an I win button.

Allowing macros does not mean DBM or decursive will automatically be added.

If you fail to see aspects of the game that would be enhanced with macros then its not worth my time explaining to you where and how.

Edited by CommunitySupportEN

1. To all the people saying macros are a crutch or macros are for noobs. If macros are a crutch rebinding keys is a crutch, heck key bindings at all is a crutch. you should have to open you spell book and pick your spells out of that and click cast them from there.

2. To all the people who say macros will make the game unfair for them becuase they dont want to use them. As it has already been stated many many times there are already 3rd party programs and hardware options that allow players to use macros, so it stands for more reason that enabling macros as a base feature of the game, that everyone has access to, would do more to make it fair that not allowing them would.

3. BW has already said things like addon support, macro support and a combat log are coming so arguing about this stuff has little point.

4. We have an emergency alert in detention block AA-23.

5. to the jawa troll in here, +1 internets to you my friend, simply because i truly didnt see what you were until like page 7, very well played my friend, well played.

On healing: Ui needs fixing as well, the raid frames are tiny and health doesnt seem to reflect reality. Debuffs are impossible to see. Its a good thing the game is so easy otherwise there would be a lot of groups breaking up due to "lack of heals".

On macros: dont like em, then dont use em (same goes for addons).

We have macros. They're called G15 keyboards or Autohotkey program. We don't need actual in-game macros, we have plenty of external ways to obtaining them, if you just look on the web.

The masses wont do that. And either way, Shhh! Consider yourself what that mass of people refer to as the Illuminati, for the knowledge you speak of is meant for those small few level 15s who regularly fell level 50s in the warzone.

1. To all the people saying macros are a crutch or macros are for noobs. If macros are a crutch rebinding keys is a crutch, heck key bindings at all is a crutch. you should have to open you spell book and pick your spells out of that and click cast them from there.

2. To all the people who say macros will make the game unfair for them becuase they dont want to use them. As it has already been stated many many times there are already 3rd party programs and hardware options that allow players to use macros, so it stands for more reason that enabling macros as a base feature of the game, that everyone has access to, would do more to make it fair that not allowing them would.

3. BW has already said things like addon support, macro support and a combat log are coming so arguing about this stuff has little point.

4. We have an emergency alert in detention block AA-23.

5. to the jawa troll in here, +1 internets to you my friend, simply because i truly didnt see what you were until like page 7, very well played my friend, well played.

Using 3rd party software to Macro might not be a good idea. If they allow it in game I don't really care but 3rd party software if automates anything is cheating.

Edit: nvm I think this thread is about macros not addons

have you tired turning friendly nameplates always on, then using the nameplate to select them?

not sure if it works but it might help

Edited by Twixted

Guys.

Macros are almost a must have thing in any MMO. There is a reason all of them have it. When you get level capped and you are doing PvP or PvE macros not only help improve your damage/utility but allowed you to also communicate with your team mates about what you are doing.

PvE Example: You're in an end game instance / raid. Your tank has blown his cooldowns but your healers are too busy healing the DPS, the tank can macro his defensive cooldowns with a yell about the fact he's using them, thus placing a warning in chat to healers that he needs heals, and he needs them now.

PvP Example: Say you play a sage. There are 4 sith running at you and you notice that one is low level (lets say level 15) so he doesn't have many skills or abilities yet, so his DPS / CC is not going to be an issue. You can use Force Lift on him and macro a yell telling everyone not to touch him and maybe, if you were good enough at macros his level and class choice so people know exactly who you are talking about.

True, the game doesn't NEED macros, but without them it is unfinished and poorly executed. Any player with any kind of end game experience with MMOs knows that in either PvP or PvE macros are essential to up your utility thus making you more useful to your raid group and to communicate without having to stop and type out a full sentence.

Edited by xeropressure

Its an irrelevant issue and not important, I would rather have content and fixes then the devs devoting time to noob tools.

You are being selfish. This is a massively multiplayer game; your opinion of what's relevant/important or not is moot. What's important is what appeals to large groups of people - macros appeal to a large group of people.

Do not imply that the implementation of macros stop content and fixes from making it in game; that is foolish, and insulting to the dev's abilities.

Do not imply that the use of macros is indicative of being a 'noob'. Macros are a tool; nothing more. They can be used 'noobishly' but so can any other tool.

You are being selfish. This is a massively multiplayer game; your opinion of what's relevant/important or not is moot. What's important is what appeals to large groups of people - macros appeal to a large group of people.

Do not imply that the implementation of macros stop content and fixes from making it in game; that is foolish, and insulting to the dev's abilities.

Do not imply that the use of macros is indicative of being a 'noob'. Macros are a tool; nothing more. They can be used 'noobishly' but so can any other tool.

Whoa the people with the green text are actualy cool in these forums:cool:

Well said:)

If you aren't clicking the buttons yourself you should be banned. That is all.

I don't click. I own a Razer Naga MMO gaming mouse. It has 17 buttons for MMO gaming. I use them and keybind every button to my mouse and use modifiers when I start to use multiple quickslots.

I have felt for a very long time that keyboard turners and clickers are a terrible thing for MMO communities as they are essentially free kills in PvP and they ruin the experience.

So, to flip your statement on its head;

If you don't use keybinds in some shape or form you should be banned. That is all.

Just my opinion but i dont see the need for macro's at all. Im doing just fine without em :) Mainly because i hate having 2 buttons that do everything

Second i hope they never introduce mouse over healing makes things too easy imo.

Just my 2 cents

Should I post a screenshot of my healer with 48 keybinds?

I use macros extensively - saying that because I use macros I would only have 2 buttons is silly beyond all belief.

So this is how I would play a caster/healer in DAoC -

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j374/Furadi/zzzzzzheal.jpg

The red arrow obviously points to the group window. If I'm healing I'm watching that for health and for the bars to change colors indicating different cures ore demezzes I might need.

To heal I would just click the name in the group window and use the appropriate spell on the quick bar with my left hand.

How much is this different from what you guys are talking about?

What a mouseover macro does is allow you to hover (not click) your mouse pointer either over the raid frame (group window) or over the actual player and use your left hand to press the appropriate key. It eliminates having to click a target and allows you to keep a single target as your primary focus at all times (like the tank).

If this was Rift I could condense almost an entire bar into one macro:

#show Strike

suppressmacrofailures

cast Pommel Strike

cast Opportune Strike

cast Riposte

cast Blade Storm

cast Slash

cast Guardian Slash

cast Sundering Strike

cast Strike

That is because Rift made macros too easy and the way your skills worked allowed for it. Luckily, SW:ToR doesn't allowed for it due to GCD, Skill CD and procs. such as riposte not always being available.

If this was Rift I could condense almost an entire bar into one macro:

#show Strike

suppressmacrofailures

cast Pommel Strike

cast Opportune Strike

cast Riposte

cast Blade Storm

cast Slash

cast Guardian Slash

cast Sundering Strike

cast Strike

Nobody wants rift style macros. What most of us want is the functionality of WoW style macros. You can't combine two abilities that are on the GCD on one keypress. The closest thing is a /castsequence type macro, but they aren't very good because they don't allow for things such as target switching or misses/dodges/parries for example.