Do you ever use Cover, Snipe, Probe, etc.?

Smokt

I've leveled to 38 on my operative. Full concealment spec. I have more than enough abilities to juggle and its tone of fun.

However, I think there are probably situations when I could even use cover - snipe,probe,headshot when Im not but I havent bothered. So, as an operative, where the majority of my damage is melee, and my melee generates TA, etc. is there every occasion to use these abilities?

Also, does anyone reccomend the lethality tree for PVE Flashpoints? It seems like it could be pretty strong?

Thanks.

If I don't want to jump into the middle of a massive zergfest fight with 200 AoEs going off, I'll snipe people sometimes. Also, before Hidden Strike, Explosive Probe is your hardest hitting skill; it crits nearly 3k right after you've picked your advanced class and join a WZ. That + Snipe and you'll actually do some damage, unlike that single backstab every 9 seconds.

I'm pretty new to Op, only up to lvl 19, and I've found it useful at times when soloing PvE to use cover.

Kinda related to the subject so I figured I'd post here... I have an issue in that I'm starting to get so many skills that the cover bar replacing the bottom bar is becoming troublesome. At first, I simply added the second bottom bar. That way I kept skills in the same slots whether in cover or not... but now that ends up with two slots being empty when out of cover. Slots are kinda at a premium and I hate two going to waste for a good portion of the time. How do other Ops handle the cover bar? I'm guessing I'll just end up having certain skills that I have to pop out of cover to access...

I'm pretty new to Op, only up to lvl 19, and I've found it useful at times when soloing PvE to use cover.

Kinda related to the subject so I figured I'd post here... I have an issue in that I'm starting to get so many skills that the cover bar replacing the bottom bar is becoming troublesome. At first, I simply added the second bottom bar. That way I kept skills in the same slots whether in cover or not... but now that ends up with two slots being empty when out of cover. Slots are kinda at a premium and I hate two going to waste for a good portion of the time. How do other Ops handle the cover bar? I'm guessing I'll just end up having certain skills that I have to pop out of cover to access...

As an Op you will only use 3-4 abilities while in cover. At level 19 you don't even have lacerate so you're barely melee. Keybind for melee, cover as an afterthought.

I PvEd up to 50 as medicine, and found myself using gun attacks less and less. My knife did more damage than snipe-- though I usually had a dps companion out to wail on the bad guys while I *****ed them with kolto probes.

I hadn't thought of this; I can probably reorganize my bars.

I'm leveling as concealment and there hasn't been a skill that I haven't used. Every skill is really useful.

Sometimes I roll into cover and snipe things just because I think it looks cool.

If I'm being focused and near death I'll roll into cover while the enemy shoots at me and my teammates/companion kill whatever is shooting at me / heal me.

I'm really loving this class so far.

I use explosive probe constantly, in PVP and PVE. Excellent burst damage and only takes a second to f key >> probe >> move. If it's a standard mob that needs killing quickly it's easy enough to follow through with a headshot.

Can't say I've used snipe for a long time. In terms of cost/activation:damage it's a bad skill for operatives to use. If I wanted to play a sniper, thats what i would have chosen at lvl 10 :p

I use it almost everytime probe is on CD. Its one of your best dmg skills.

hit f, probe, continue your rotation. not that hard.

Also in pve vs non cannon fodder mobs, i open up with snipe and probe. but this might change, once i get hidden strike. (lvl 27 lethality here)

Another good tip is that diving for cover doesn't take snares into account. If you're caught in acid or fire or something, target someone and hit F, if you're close enough to a cover point you'll dive out :)

Cool!

Has anyone tried using the cover roll to bypass fire traps, or move forward with the ball at all? Is it possible?

I'm a lvl 32 Medic Operative and I use cover whenever I can when healing in flashpoints. It saved me countless times. Go behind cover and start healing from there, particularly effective if the mobs you're fighting are ranged and not melee.

PS: I should note it's not perfect, you gotta use common sense when choosing a cover location so as to not be out of range from your team mates, but flashpoints tend to have a decent amount of cover spots.

Edited by efylinx

I've maybe legitimately used cover 10 times the entire duration of my playing an operative, currently level 38. I do everything in melee.

I try to be melee but I would get demolished trying to stand toe-to-toe right now with mobs. If it's just one it's usually not a problem, but more than that and I have issues. Right now I'm mainly letting my companion grab aggro then a quick heal to her and start attacking. It works well when only one breaks to attack me... not so good when multiple.

As I said earlier, I'm only lvl 19 so I'm still trying to figure some things out... but it's been a fun ride so far.

When soloing or in groups, I don't feel like I'm getting much out of those abilities at all. I am no expert, but it seems to me that I'm better off focusing on keeping up TA and using all of the synergy it has with Corrosive Dart and Lacerate. Having to go into cover would only distract me and I think lower my DPS.

The problem is using cover in PvP and then 1 ability like explosive probe takes too much time - much better to just use rifle shot while closing the distance for your next round of shiv, lacerate, backstab etc.

The only time it might be useful past level 20 is in PvE if you are low on energy - explosive probe does a lot of damage.

Probe Snipe or Dart Probe can be useful when chasing a runner in pvp.

You also lack enough dps abilties to fill every attack while waiting for shiv/backstab to be off cooldown, so it can help provide filler.

Concealment/Lethality probably use it less than medic though, because they have more dps options on their plate.