Bioware, your game runs too hot. My solution.

danmanx

Hot? what the heck are you on about. im running this game with a HD6850 at 1650x1080

pretty much all the graphics juiced up to the top and my card with AUTO fans on doesnt break 51 Celcius..if i bother to set the fan at 30% wich i wont even hear it maxes out at 34 degrees celcius.

If Cards go hot i would blame my own Computer CASE..wich on most cases is the culprit.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I guess you also like the tearing that happens without vertical sync

Tearing? I don't see screen tearing at 80fps. I saw screen tearing when I limited my fps to 60fps using the outside app however - which is why I increased it to 80fps (which works perfectly - no screen tearing, fps quite stable bar going to fleet, where it can drop to a low of 60fps and fluctuate between 60fpps to 80fps if there's over 150-200 people on).

I don't like VSync, I find it crappy, and so don't use it. But my issue has never been fps - it's just a "bad coding causing extra heat than this game should generate" issue.

Hence the report. Do not need your technical chest beating posts getting in the way of a perfectly useful report. I believe the devs do find this information useful, and are probably laughing at all the claims of "I've been building computers for 20 years and I'm a pro"/"I've worked in IT since before computers existed" yadda yadda yadda. Really there's no need for you to be so repeatedly in this thread, I know what I need to do my end. I'm reporting what must be done their end.

If you'd just let me make my report, this pointless back and forthing would've never happened, and the thread would still be back at least 4 pages.

Edited by lollie

The reason why GPUs are overheating is because of bad coding.

What an utterly stupid thing to say.

Software cannot cause hardware to malfunction in the way you're trying to assert, if you're having hardware problems YOU HAVE A BADLY DESIGNED PIECE OF HARDWARE, or in this case probably a substandard gfx cooling system.

/thread

Edited by KerinKor

Gentlemen, it appears were are the ignored and the forgotten.

The reason why GPUs are overheating is because of bad coding. All it takes is somebody checking to see what commands and instructions are being sent to the GPUs. I am not an expert, but it seems like Bioware doesn't have anybody willing or competent to even look into this severe, deadly problem.

Some guy I don't even know lost his computer last night. He is an associate of my friend's wife. "Yeah, I was playing TOR and my video card fried out."

Inexcusable.

You want candy. You take a bite. You burn your mouth due to excessive heat.

You buy a car. You put gas into it. Your car explodes. How is that YOUR fault?

You install SW:TOR on a gaming machine....you need to WATCH OUT and play Star Wars: Temperature Monitor Control.....BOOM.....fried computer due to excessive heat.

My machine doesn't even struggle to run this and it's hotter than Jessica Alba on a summer day.

SOLUTION:

LOWER YOUR FPS. LOWER YOUR FPS. LOWER YOUR FPS.

LOWER YOUR GRAPHICS CARD 3D SETTINGS TO WALMART QUALITY.

Use a program like Bandicam and limit your FPS to 30, hell 20 just to be safe. I certainly don't want to lose a GAMING MACHINE to one *********** game.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD *TRY* OR *ATTEMPT* TO SEE, THEN *FIX* THIS PROBLEM BIOWARE.

It's a sad day when a million voices suddenly cry out....then are silenced...........

My PC is not overheating and the game runs flawlessly. Please stop blaiming Bioware for your crappy computers.

The reason why GPUs are overheating is because of bad coding.

LOL

So a game that taxes your GPU (for whatever reason it might be) is bad code, and it's totally not the hardware builder's fault for not having enough heat tolerance that when people actually use their GPU in fullest it doesn't overheat?

Yeah, I can see this thread going far indeed.

Edit:

You should do some research before you post. Some players GPU's run hot because there is no driver support for this game as of yet.

The driver is what controls the GPU. Since there are people who have the exact same specs as the people who are having issues, we can safely say that its not a game coding issue.

Software can not cause a non-faulty piece of hardware to do anything self-destructive, outside of you wilfully overclocking and frying your card. And that, too, is in the end a hardware malfunction.

Edited by Truga

Just cause the game uses alot of GPU processing power, does _not_ mean it's overheating your system until it breaks.

You either need to clean your fans or your case.

New hardware got lots of safety and will more likely shut down your computer, than fry the HW.

BTW the 400 series of nvidia got alot of heat issues, and 90C is nothing. It's know for running at that temp in demanding games. Google it.

I think there may be an issue with 400 series Nvidia cards. Mine hits 90c on this game I had to un oc my card. Every other game it sits at 70c when oced.

Not a problem with the card, that's quite normal behavior for those cards under stock fan settings. Use MSI afterburner or EVGA precision to adjust the fan curve (or set it at a fixed speed).

Those big GPUs produce alot of heat when they are put under load. Not really unique to swtor...

Gentlemen, it appears were are the ignored and the forgotten.

The reason why GPUs are overheating is because of bad coding. All it takes is somebody checking to see what commands and instructions are being sent to the GPUs. I am not an expert, but it seems like Bioware doesn't have anybody willing or competent to even look into this severe, deadly problem.

Some guy I don't even know lost his computer last night. He is an associate of my friend's wife. "Yeah, I was playing TOR and my video card fried out."

Inexcusable.

You want candy. You take a bite. You burn your mouth due to excessive heat.

You buy a car. You put gas into it. Your car explodes. How is that YOUR fault?

You install SW:TOR on a gaming machine....you need to WATCH OUT and play Star Wars: Temperature Monitor Control.....BOOM.....fried computer due to excessive heat.

My machine doesn't even struggle to run this and it's hotter than Jessica Alba on a summer day.

SOLUTION:

LOWER YOUR FPS. LOWER YOUR FPS. LOWER YOUR FPS.

LOWER YOUR GRAPHICS CARD 3D SETTINGS TO WALMART QUALITY.

Use a program like Bandicam and limit your FPS to 30, hell 20 just to be safe. I certainly don't want to lose a GAMING MACHINE to one *********** game.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD *TRY* OR *ATTEMPT* TO SEE, THEN *FIX* THIS PROBLEM BIOWARE.

It's a sad day when a million voices suddenly cry out....then are silenced...........

exactly what card are you using? what driver? have you overclocked said card?

i am using a evga gtx 580sc 797mhz and using the latest whql drivers. my card in hwmonitor never gets above 60c.

this is with everything on high including shadows and 1920/1080 res.

OMG, I am really shocked about some answers here!

Both hardware issues and software issues may cause overheating.

Anyone who says software won't cause overheating, please (without any offence) go learn about fundamentals of how a software works and interacts with hardware.

On the other hand, cooling problem of the computer may cause this either. But isn't it a big coincidence that ppl start to face that overheating issue in the same time period, just after a patch and just at the same software SWTOR?

Well there is no black or white. Try to be productive rather than insult each other and saying "IT IS" or "IT IS NOT".

Loving the game doesnt mean to defend it in any case. Whatever u say here will help developers to improve the game.

i play quite a few games,

diablo 3 (beta)

league of legends

bf3

tf2

mw

apb

and of course swtor

two games i play seem to affect my video card, which is apb and swtor.

after about an hour and a half of playing i have to reboot, the game starts stuttering and from what it seems, is that there is a dump issue with the game.

my fan and gpu spike from 33c to 42c just from starting the launcher. it's like my computer is going "oh ****" he clicked on swtor.

after around an hour+ of playing my gpu temp is running at around 55c , it's gotten up to 60c at that point it's really loud and i just have to turn it off,

im running an ati card.

Only other game i have had issues with has been apb. I disabled the cool n quiet in my bios, and got gamebooster. my fps is great and my temp is lowered by around 10c from what it used to be.

i also, cannot, alt + tab, or open my internet while playing swtor.

Edited by tacoknite

Stress testing. Exactly what I (I'm a *she not a he btw) said :p

Yes - SWTOR is stress testing the computer same as Furmark stress tests computers.

And Furmark voids Nvidia warranties.

And nobody would run Furmark every day for hours on end over several years like they do a game.

Are you capping your frame rate? i wanted to see what happened in wow if i took my FPS up to 250. I can tell you my gfx card almost took off.

Limit it to 60 fps and see if that brings the temperature down. I'm pretty sure programs like this:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-Inspector-1.94-download-2612.html

can allow you to set FPS amounts that govern all programs that use the GFX card among other nice and useful options.

I havn't tried using vsync in SWtor yet, as i havn't had a need for it, (my pc is not overheating and i havn't changed anything except turn everything to maximum) but give the fps limit a try.

..what ... I dont even... dont talk.

You do know that the human body conducts electricity.

Touching sensative equipment such as RAM or indeed any internal PC items without first grounding yourself using a cable round your wrist attached to the outer casing (this is the usual grounding equipment that you can buy or find with all PC home maintanence kits) you run the risk of sending a a charge from the build up of static electricity on your body/clothes into the component which could result in damage when you boot it up.

PPL should test they hardware at max when they got them, I always do some prime95 for the cpu and some atitool fur stuff for gpu. When you know what you getting at max load work the cooling or fan speed to decent temps and you are set... whatever game you will play you know your system temps are OK while runing 100% all the time and as a bonus you know your system is stable and wont crash.

Swtor dont run hotter than others games if there no vsync, all game will try to max the gpu/cpu if there no bottleneck and will stop loading only if the game have some kind of fps cap ( swtor have 111 fps for cap).

My temps at swtor are just fine for what load the game put on: 48 for cpu (965 OC) that run between 60 to 70% and 65-67 for both my 6950 OC ( 1 at 100% , 1 between 75-99 must of the time)

If I play bf3 my temps are near the same except my CPU will wun 100% all the time that give me a temp of 53 max (5760X1080 res create a little bottleneck and both my gpu runing same temps as swtor with both loading 95%+

Touching sensative equipment such as RAM or indeed any internal PC items without first grounding yourself using a cable round your wrist attached to the outer casing (this is the usual grounding equipment that you can buy or find with all PC home maintanence kits) you run the risk of sending a a charge from the build up of static electricity on your body/clothes into the component which could result in damage when you boot it up.

You can just touch the case with your finger once to ground yourself.

I normally leave my PSU plugged in and I just ground my self to the cahssis of the pc case.

Never had to use a strap, and this is my first custom build and third pc.

Its a extra step, but I don't think its always necessary.

my fan and gpu spike from 33c to 42c just from starting the launcher. it's like my computer is going "oh ****" he clicked on swtor.

LOL this^

Why does clicking just even the launcher make temps suddenly increase. I don't think this is supposed to happen...

Edited by lollie

I know it wasn't the intention but I do have to nominate this one for "amusing thread of the day."

No, it's not "bad coding".

As to why throttling the FPS makes a difference? The more work-out the GPU is allowed (i.e. the more it has to render), the hotter it will run. The hotter it runs, the more cooling you need. If you lower the FPS, the card WILL run cooler. That's partly why VSync works to resolve many overheating issues.

Unsupported or faulty drivers can also cause this--case in point were issues with a faulty nVidia driver distribution a couple years ago. The fan control wasn't working properly and at higher FPS, which the affected cards should easily have been able to handle, overheating was happening. Failure in those instances was solely due to the driver.

Software itself (i.e. code) cannot kill your video card--it cannot make a card do something that it isn't programmed to do--but it can trigger existing flaws/faults in the hardware. The card should shut down before it hits critical temperature. If it doesn't, and it fails, it is an issue with the card or its driver.

Is the answer to lower the rendering of the game for everyone? Or is the answer to understand how to monitor your card for temperature issues and adjust the game-settings accordingly?

Quoted(and enphasized) for truth...

But to be certain, I will run the game tonight with a tool that tells me the temperature of my CPU and my fan speed.

Problem seems like it has nothing to do with TOR if slimply clicking on a shortcut to start a game causes a temp spike of 9c.

It also sounds like you are not using manual fan control.

Problem seems like it has nothing to do with TOR if slimply clicking on a shortcut to start a game causes a temp spike of 9c.

Yet clicking on anything else does not cause the rapid temperature increase?

Looks like it's JUST SWTOR doing it, and not the computer, otherwise all apps and all games would cause this to occur.

Edited by lollie