Bioware, your game runs too hot. My solution.

danmanx

EH not really? I agree with Liquid but thats for future....I was just making a point on heat.

Runs 35 Idle, and 70 Under Load Avg For most aftermarket fans is pretty damn good for a nearly 100 mhz SW Increase, Witcher 2 however took it up to 80. (Falls apart after 950mhz)

The 90-100 were examples of its threshhold, but my alarms and threshholds i have dropped to 85 incase)

....correct me if i am wrong....If a card runs too hot....the card shuts down (Hopefully) Black Screens, and recovers/underclocks/shuts down....well most modern Gfix cards today.

...but for some magical reason....SWTOR makes it even run hotter? It somehow....bypasses the HW safety features...and it breaks your card? I dont think so....

I can agree S/W making a card run hotter.....and i agree its a driver issue and people need to wait...however breaking a card? frying it? Its not the game...it's your card...and its just bad luck,wrong time that this was the game it broke on....I have seen these kinda posts since EQ days..

The point is, a game with inferior graphics like this should not be pushing a GFX card so hard its causing failures.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this game does not have inferior graphics. the problem is technology continues to move forward and people trying to apply new technology to 10 year old systems..

bad system design is another issue that causes problems like this..

if your not willing to upgrade, you will be left behind..

if your unable to follow technology, then at least do the best you can to stay up to date.

Intel i7 960 CPU overclocked to 4.0GHz

Corsair H100 CPU cooler with 4x Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans

Coolermaster HAF-X case

EVGA Classified X58 4-way SLI mobo

12GB Dominator GT PC-2000 memory

Two EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards

Crucial RealSSD 256GB primary drive

Two 2TB Western Digital storage drives

One empty wallet

Not having any problems with SWTOR, temps or otherwise. The game is not having any negative effect according to any diagnostic program that I've run. All in-game settings set on High. The game runs great.

That is all. Thank you for your kind attention.

Edited by Dechomai

Most of the OP doesn't make any sense.

Bioware's poor coding causes the performance issues that are known, but not overheating.

That is a physical problem that is entirely manufacturer/user side. If your GPU actually fried out, then you probably had multiple problems going on inside of your chassis at once.

Edited by YooYooMa

are you quite sure you have the latest gfx drivers? or actually the latest drivers for all of your hardware? You mentioned your CPU overheats so that's why i ask.

(also, CPU overheating will always initiate a PC shutdown before it causes any damage as a safety precaution, please say you have that switched on).

I have seen no one else complaining about this. For someone who says he as a gaming machine (by definition that means a new machine that handles games of this era) this game should not be destroying it.

I have a gaming machine (see below) and mine runs perfectly. I actually had some quite hefty programs running simultaniously which started to deminish FPS on SWTOR (had SW, photoshop, UDK, and 3D studio Max all open together) so naturally i hastely shut the stuff off i wasn't using. and all was fine and dandy once more. When there are in eccess of say 50 characters on screen at the same time i do experience some fps loss though.

My hardware is the following:

Intel i7 2600k.

Nvidia GTX570.

ASUS X67 Motherboard.

8gb DDR3 RAM.

120gb SSD running via SATA 3 6gb/s connection lead to the MB.

2x 1TB SATA data drives.

Hell, my friend's PC hasn't been updated for close to 2 years except for the drivers and he can run the game fine as well. Are you definitely sure it's not your end? Kind of strange there are only a select few people that are getting this.

are you quite sure you have the latest gfx drivers? or actually the latest drivers for all of your hardware? You mentioned your CPU overheats so that's why i ask.

...only a select few people that are getting this.

Latest drivers, had no issue prior to Jan 6th patch, and issue was only present while in SWTOR. Everyone has different setups (motherboard, brand of hardware, speeds, etc), which will be why some not all saw this. Also many people had same issue - I can link you to many threads on this issue ---

CPU overheating, since patch?

Are high res out of the game because of the PC heat issues?

CPU temp under load has skyrocketed!!

Cpu heat

Computer turns itself off

And if all those threads didn't convince you issue exists, read the official response ---> Information Request: PC consistently or even periodically resets itself during SWTOR

There's a few more as well, if you care.

They fixed the issue with some subsequent stealth patching. Another guy a page back posted and stated the same thing (issue is now magically fixed for him as well). That is all.

Edited by lollie

I am thinking this issue is related to some driver or maybe even just the Video drivers on the 64 bit systems cause both my comps are running Win 7 64bit Both are Nvidia cards one is a 56Ti and the other is GTX250 and both run at 85 C well running SWTOR but my cousin has the same video card as me the 560Ti and he runs SWTOR at 67 C but he has vista 32bit.

This thread got me to start checking my temps. TOR shoots my temps over 80c. Most games run in the high 60 range. (This was all before the patch last night--haven't had a chance to play today.)

i7 930, Asus GTX 560 Ti, Win7 64

Edited by Zhit

Now the only time I notice temperatures that make me raise my eyebrows is at fleet. Guessing there's some issue with number of models onscreen at one time (hence why they won't let us use high res textures - some people get terrible fps there, some people get increased CPU or GPU temperatures there).

In fleet my fps will lose up to 20fps depending on numbers there (so at worst I get from 80fps to 60fps fluctuating between both values - bearing in mind I've capped my fps to 80fps using an outside app). And the CPU temperatures will run about 20DegC hotter than anywhere else...still at temperatures my CPU can run at ok, but certainly not at acceptable temperatures.

Keep trying for the ultimate fix SWTOR coder guys.

Edited by lollie

The title is very badly worded.

It should be "Danmanx, your computer is running too hot"

My HD6870 stays cool even after playing SW:TOR for hours, go figure...

As always, some people trying to blame the company for problems which are on their side.

Edited by Korrigan

My HD6870 stays cool even after playing SW:TOR for hours.

The problem exists in the coding. Doesn't matter if you geeked out on your computer and bought tons of cooling/live in a cold climate/it's winter in your part of the world/don't pay your heating bills etc therefore do not notice improper coding such as this (and keeping in mind this issue only existed after the Jan 6th patch - IE bad coding).

The point is - the game does run hotter than any other game. This is a coding issue.

Edited by lollie

The problem exists in the coding. Doesn't matter if you geeked out on your computer and bought tons of cooling/live in a cold climate/don't pay your heating bills etc therefore do not notice improper coding such as this (and keeping in mind this issue only existed after the Jan 6th patch - IE bad coding).

The point is - the game does run hotter than any other game. This is a coding issue.

Ill say it one last time, NO IT DOES NOT.

- Get afterburner to better control your fan speed.

- Turn on Vsync it lower heat levels a lot.

- Make sure there is not too much dust on the video card.

Also there is zero problem with the game with heat issues. Like I have a ATI 5970 (with crossfire on) and using afterburner keep the temp at 68c to 72c which is very good for a highend card.

Edited by Romiz

The problem exists in the coding. Doesn't matter if you geeked out on your computer and bought tons of cooling/live in a cold climate/it's winter in your part of the world/don't pay your heating bills etc therefore do not notice improper coding such as this (and keeping in mind this issue only existed after the Jan 6th patch - IE bad coding).

Hehe I don't even have tons of cooling - just an appropriately ventilated case, nothing more. No liquid cooling, no super cooler, nothing else. Avoid assumptions, stick to facts...

My HD6870 doesn't go over 60°C when playing the game, which is similar to other games (Skyrim, LOTRO, WoW, Dirt, TDU2, NFSW and others...). My computer room is at 21°C, a totally normal room temperature.

And I won't even talk about my Phenom II CPU, which doesn't heat at all (or barely noticeable).

One thing one can do already to reduce temperature problems (beside getting proper cooling of course) is to activate "vertical sync". There's no need to render 100+ fps when your monitor can only display 60 anyway. It overloads the graphic card and CPU to render images you will never see.

Edited by Korrigan

I have to say, when I logout back to character selection screen, I have definitely noticed something. The fan on my GPU kicks in, and I can definitely hear it. This seems to happen whenever I go back to the character screen lately.

(beside getting proper cooling of course)

I'm not saying I can't use better cooling - organising this now as we speak. At this point I'm looking at my case - sexy beast as it is it isn't the most thoughtfully designed for keeping things cool - going to modify it as well as introduce a bunch of fans and better after market passives. Just saying - the issue does exist, and some people notice it only in SWTOR while all other games do not cause this level of stress (and some people even reported it despite having great cooling).

Also the issue only began after the Jan 6th doomsday patch. Has seen some improvement as they've been stealth-patching in fixes, but I'm reporting they still need to work at it. Let me make the report, and off you go to do...whatever it is you do (besides camp this thread).

Edited by lollie

Nice selective quoting, conveniently ignoring the bulk of my post... of course, if something is annoying and doesn't fit your agenda, let's just ignore it, right? ;)

You may want to try to post on the "customer service" forum too:

http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Of course, you won't get all the attention you get here there... but you may get help from a Bioware official.

Edited by Korrigan

selective quoting

The only thing that was relevant was the bit I quoted. I already cap my fps using an outside app (capped to 80fps) - I don't like the VSync.

No need to be so constantly antagonistic - you'll find the world is a better place when you're less anti.

Edited by lollie

Even if it stresses your hardware more than other games (which it doesn't in my experience) overheating should never be an issue. Even with stock cooling the CPU and GPU should stay below the thermal limit even if they are under constant 100% load. If it triggers thermal throttling, shutdowns, bluescreens or whatever you should thank swtor for finding that flaw in your system.

Maybe it's because I let my pc run boinc (both CPU and GPU tasks) but a game making my system work a bit doesn't bother me (I'm quite used to GPU fan noise I suppose). Modern hardware is capable of running at high temperatures continuously, though, of course, lower is better, so if you let your pc run science 24/7 like me decent cooling is no luxury, as is regularly cleaning dust out of it.

I do think part of the problem is that stock CPU coolers are quite frankly rubbish, before I replaced the one on my i7-870 it got quite hot (80-90C). Not nearly hot enough to force thermal throttling though, which (has been a while since I looked it up) I think would happen at around 115 C for that particular CPU. I forgot to mention that a bios update caused turbo boost to kick in even at 100% load causing temps to spike to 100C, needless to say I turned turbo boost off before I got the new cooler.

GPU stock fan settings also allow the card to get hot before letting the fan kick in, because of the noise it can produce I guess. But this means that if a game actually stresses it, the temps will go quite high indeed. Just once again not nearly high enough for thermal throttling. I use MSI afterburner to control my GTX480, I can only recommend it (or EVGA precision) to everyone. With the stock fan settings that card would reach over 90C before it'd up the fan speed. You could even underclock the card if you still think it produces too much heat or you think the fans are too noisy.

Anyways, that was all I suppose.

I do think part of the problem is that stock CPU coolers are quite frankly rubbish, before I replaced the one on my i7-870 it got quite hot (80-90C).

I agree with you on this, as I said, I'm working out better after market cooling just so I too can be oblivious to these little changes in coding :o

Edited by lollie

The only thing that was relevant was the bit I quoted. I already cap my fps using an outside app (capped to 80fps) - I don't like the VSync.
Which is total nonsense when your monitor only displays 60fps. But I guess you also like the tearing that happens without vertical sync (maybe that's something you can blame Bioware for too?).

:rolleyes:

FACT is, yeah, a technical fact, from a person working with computers for 30+ years now... so fact is that a CPU and a GPU should be able to handle even full load without overheating. People doing e.g. 3d computer graphics have their CPU at full load on all cores for hours when they calculate their images. If your CPU can't handle high load, then it is NOT properly cooled, and it is YOUR fault.

/thread.

Edited by Korrigan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.