Dungeon Finder System Eventually

I think you are all crazy and trying to make something into nothing. Takes from the game... This game like all things in life will be what YOU make of it. Not ruined or great because of some dungeon finder. If I had a dungeon finder would it take from exploration. Hell no I would explore while I waited for the que. Should the dungeon finder be cross server? YES that was a stupid question if you ask me. More people = faster ques = more people wanting to play over the couple of antagonists that say otherwise. Its funny to me to watch people try and turn ridiculous points of personal preference into fact. In case non of you who are apposed to the easier dungeon systems have noticed. Its an MMO that means bigger than you and your little brood. If you dont like games where you cant always be the big fish maybe you should stop playing MMO's

The line between life and death are at best shadowy and vague, Who is to say where one ends and the other begins.

Zezv

Uh-Oh... Ninja ALERT!!

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be a LFG and a LFR tool considering how popular LFR is with WoW players...it is inevitable and I have made my peace with that.

Meh, it's not inevitable. It's quite obvious that it doesn't work in WoW as the game is really going downhill, BioWare isn't stupid (EA might be though, but that's neither here or there ;)).

If anything I hope they come up with a better way of reaching the same goal (making finding groups easier) but copying WoW's system is the worst way to go about it imho.

Edited by MareLooke

Agreed X 10.

In fact here is a recent anecdote to back up this concept of we make the game what we want.

I have a friend who has never played an MMO before, we are both in our early 30's, I have played MMO's for almost a decade, and he is brand spanking new . . like 5 weeks now.

Dungeon finder for him is a given, HOWEVER guess what, he loves exploring the world and finding the portals to the dungeons. He also likes to jump on vent and talk people into running him through the dungeons so he can get mad loot, so for him its ALL about knowing where the dungeons are. When I showed him how to summon people he about flipped out. He loved it. WHY? Because now its not such a pain to talk people into helping him, which is really what dungeons are anyways, groups come together to help each other, if you make that hard to do, guess what? IT HAPPENS LESS. EASIER = MORE and with less wasted time.

The bottom line is, the people saying these things ruin the game are making an arbitrary, personal judgment call and trying to make the claim that this personal and arbitrary thing is somehow inclusive of any new gamers.

Exploring the world is fun, knowing the world is cool, its worth doing for its own benefit, and in these games that benefit is always there regardless of dungeon finders and portals, and summons and every other thing that makes the game easier and faster. We briefly talked about this, and he agrees that once he has explored the entire world a few times he will likely not want to run around everywhere. Right now is he really enjoying archeology because it rewards exploration.

The idea that cross realm dungeon finder ruins in game immersion is some kind of self imposed psychological hurdle for the people who believe this is true. Its a self fulling prophecy made of smoke and mirrors. Its essentially telling people what they should enjoy about the game and why . . . . that is not in the slightest fair and objective.

i have said nothing about immersion but i will say again that due to limited impact for grief issues (tanks were the worst which is why i respeced my drui to tank/heal from boomkin heal) for flagging into an instance and then dropping just because it suited them or because the group wasn't going fast enough for them

when it is on the same server it happens less as sooner or later this kind of thing has a way of causing you to NOT be invited eventually

also before the LFG tool you socialized more and reading these forums it seems some need more socializing as if you read there seem to be a lot of people raised by wild animals these days..

i promise you IF i buy this game and IF LFG came in i would be cancelling after seeing what it did to WoW

Agreed X 10.

In fact here is a recent anecdote to back up this concept of we make the game what we want.

I have a friend who has never played an MMO before, we are both in our early 30's, I have played MMO's for almost a decade, and he is brand spanking new . . like 5 weeks now.

Dungeon finder for him is a given, HOWEVER guess what, he loves exploring the world and finding the portals to the dungeons. He also likes to jump on vent and talk people into running him through the dungeons so he can get mad loot, so for him its ALL about knowing where the dungeons are. When I showed him how to summon people he about flipped out. He loved it. WHY? Because now its not such a pain to talk people into helping him, which is really what dungeons are anyways, groups come together to help each other, if you make that hard to do, guess what? IT HAPPENS LESS. EASIER = MORE and with less wasted time.

The bottom line is, the people saying these things ruin the game are making an arbitrary, personal judgment call and trying to make the claim that this personal and arbitrary thing is somehow inclusive of any new gamers.

Exploring the world is fun, knowing the world is cool, its worth doing for its own benefit, and in these games that benefit is always there regardless of dungeon finders and portals, and summons and every other thing that makes the game easier and faster. We briefly talked about this, and he agrees that once he has explored the entire world a few times he will likely not want to run around everywhere. Right now is he really enjoying archeology because it rewards exploration.

The idea that cross realm dungeon finder ruins in game immersion is some kind of self imposed psychological hurdle for the people who believe this is true. Its a self fulling prophecy made of smoke and mirrors. Its essentially telling people what they should enjoy about the game and why . . . . that is not in the slightest fair and objective.

I said nothing about immersion (hell, I don't even think immersion was mentioned before you brought it up), but cross realm LFG certainly destroyed the realms' social activity which in turn destroyed the game for most people. If you consider convenience for finding groups more important than finding nice people to group with that's your prerogative.

That your friend enjoys all those things you list is nice for him, but I wonder how long it will take him to get burned out, now it's all still new but I doubt he'll be around very long once the new wears off. Because once the new wears off and there is no decent social activity within the realm it's over for most people (except possibly the PvP machines) as there is nothing to do except run the same dungeon over and over again with people that say nothing and do nothing, they might as well be bots.

If you raid you'll find out that pretty soon people will only log on for raids, they might last quite a while doing just that, but eventually they'll quit and other people will quit because outside of raids there's never anyone there.

Also running to the instance in a lot of MMOs might be annoying but this is more or less a non-issue in ToR as flashpoints are accessible straight from the Fleet, the only thing one could ask for might be a very fast way to get back to the fleet from wherever you are, something I would have no issue with.

Edited by MareLooke

No it didn't, so I stopped reading your post.

Yes it worked fine for me and I was a heavy PUGger, but hey, if you would've read the rest instead of proving I wasted my time even replying to you you would have known.

Edited by MareLooke

Yes it worked fine for me and I was a heavy PUGger, but hey, if you would've read the rest instead of proving I wasted my time even replying to you you would have known.

It didn't "work fine", which is why the playerbase was so upset with it. It's not all about you.

I said nothing about immersion (hell, I don't even think immersion was mentioned before you brought it up), but cross realm LFG certainly destroyed the realms' social activity which in turn destroyed the game for most people. If you consider convenience for finding groups more important than finding nice people to group with that's your prerogative.

Those aren't mutually exclusive, unless your "friends" would rather use the LFD tool with perfect strangers than group with you. Is that the case?

Because once the new wears off and there is no decent social activity within the realm it's over for most people
There is social activity going on in my realm. Lothar US.

Its more then decent, its excellent. Lets think about it this way . . . . if in order to be social you need to have a group something is wrong. Is the only incentive to be social that you need 3-4 other people to complete a dungeon?

How is that possible? If all you really want is a dungeon and that is the only thing making you take the time to be social .. . . then something is missing WITH YOU, not with the game.

I created a community on lothar becuase it had a large population for the faction I choose, I wanted lots of people on the server for many reasons, some of them to get groups, some to get raids, some to just be able to make friends becuase you know its rare you click with someone, and grouping is such a small part of that.

Also with the tool in place I still get people together to run dungeons, we prefill the whole group, then q. It removed none of the fun. It just makes it easier, and if someone has to go, it makes it 1000000% easier to get a replacement. No waiting for 1 person then another has to go becuase of the time it took to get the replacement, and then you end up in a failing group for no other reason than time constraints meets a lack of ease of use . .. and for what so that players are forced to explore a world they may have already explored? Or becuase some players will not socialize without the incentive of a group?

You really are going to have to unpack these issues, becuase you are not really making a strong case.

Edited by Xzulld

I posted an idea a couple of posts ago and had another idea. How about the LFG system automatically putting together groups based on their title. Then good players get to play with good players and all the baddies can screw each other over.

I like your idea, but not a visible title. I think it should be hidden all except for the "Village Idiot" title that follows jerks with lots of thumbs down. I feel that people would otherwise be elitist and stuck up to each other, only wanting to run with people who are fellow generals.

Maybe I've been reading the WoW forums too long. :p

I loved the LFD. I hated looking for groups as a well geared tank, but I loathed the experience on a DPS alt trying to beat others out in trying to get a spot in a group.

The LFD tool cross server is very useful when the population dwindles especially at lower levels. This game won't experience it for some time as it is brand new, but eventually it will experience the same issues.

As for friends on your server, I was friends with my guildmates and new a few other people. Most of the people on my WoW server when I leveled from 70-80 were awesome, some of the best experience I've had running instances. Later on alts with far fewer people running instances it was a nightmare.

Honestly I expect after some time a cross server LFD will be implemented. It is inevitable as server population decreases or the majority of players have their main and alts max level. You can increase the player pool by crossing servers. Also I am by no means looking forward to camping at the fleet to do instances, while others are on planets of the correct level advertising for more people to come. No summoning stone we'll be waiting for everyone.

Blizzard implemented those innovations to save players time and make the game more easily flowing. I clearly recall how annoying it was to advertise my need to run an instance. I personally LOVED the cross server LFD even on my 40 minute wait DPS characters.

I dont think they should put LFG system in Starwars seriously just dont do it let the comunity deal with ppl not insta q max leveling. The cross realms you are more then likely going to run in to ppl who A wont listen B ninja and leave C bail once they either get their item or their item doesnt drop. D are completly rude and then you cant kick em out the group. We have a companion system some tank some heal others dps. We can find what we need we dont even need that many real ppl to form a group because we have companions.

Everquest's LFG flag worked great, it was simple, and you didn't even need a tool or fancy GUI to deal with it.

/who lfg 20-25

I have no idea why MMOs have regressed so far since then that finding a group has devolved into spamming global trade channels.

I agree with the OP.

While you're at it, please make an auto job-finder in real life, cause we don't like looking for one.

edit: Geez I almost forgot about it; we don't need Curriculum Vitaes, please add gearscore.

Edited by Mikutzu

Those aren't mutually exclusive, unless your "friends" would rather use the LFD tool with perfect strangers than group with you. Is that the case?

You're just trolling now and proving you never read a word of what I've said. This discussion was pretty constructive until you had to come along, thanks for that.

When people played only with people on the same server the word 'reputation' had a meaning. With a cross-server LFG tool it's just "who cares if I leave/ninja I'll never gonna meet those people again anyway".

this was why i wasn't a fan of DDO allowing players to change their names. reputation is EVERYTHING in a community like this.

I like being able to que up for an activity while I quest for another activity. When everyone is new and a game is fresh it is easy to get lots of people to team up for content be it guild mates or pugs. The problem starts to come in when people have started to cap out and focus on raids n such. The lower level content becomes more abandoned due to needing a team to do most of it. Mind you companions make this easier so that 2 people can do a 4 person instance but this is about being multiplayer vs single player. Putting together a team of friends will always be preferred for me but when no ones online and I'm still awake at 3:48am and wanting to get something done.. nothing beats hitting "join" on the team finder and just go about my business till prompted that enough other people my level also want to do it of the appropriate classes and pulls us in. Be it pvp or pve. I've played mmos since Anarchy-Online and newer games that don't have a great dungeon finder like feature all suffer from that same fate.. empty dungeons that get skipped in favor of "fastest/min-max" route to end game.

PS I utterly hate and refuse to ever spam a global channel for a team.

Edited by Aethyrprime

From the perspective of a total MMO nub (only MMO experience was the three beta weekends I got to test), I kind of think this is a bad idea.

Hear me out on this. Getting a group of four together takes a few minutes and a little bit of effort. But whenever I would group up to run flashpoints or heroics I always felt a kind of camaraderie with my fellows. We all had to come together, find each other, and then conquer our enemies as a team. It felt really good to finally beat the mission and e-five each other afterward. The best example of this was during the last beta when me and three other guys played "Trouble In Deed" on Coruscant. We had to try three times to beat the boss, but when we finally got him, we stood around having a dance party on his corpse for 5 minutes afterward. Then we all friended each other.

I feel kind of like an LFG tool that matches you with other players would make grouping a lot less personal. But if they made the current system a little more intuitive and easy to spot, I think it would be an improvement without hurting the social aspect of grouping. Just my opinion.

Edited by AdmiralOnasi

I agree with the OP.

While you're at it, please make an auto job-finder in real life, cause we don't like looking for one.

edit: Geez I almost forgot about it; we don't need Curriculum Vitaes, please add gearscore.

really, you are comparing the game to real life? you are taking this game way too seriously, on top of offending others, on top of adding nothing to the debate.

but for the sake of the argument, real life is a *****. you have to work hard for everything. this is a game, it doesnt have to be easy mode, the content that is. we play it to get away from the stress of everyday life, not to experience a real life emulator with lightsabers. i dont see anything wrong with content being readily accessible.