What!! NO ADD-ONS to be authorized!!!!

MallocV

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't need the game to hold my hand and tell me when to push buttons, no thanks, leave the hand-holding addons in the kids' games please.

Without:

1) Lack of UI customization

2) Simple single item macros like mouse-overs

addons is the only way to clean up the UI and gameplay to the point of making it playable.

either the developers have to kick it into gear fast or allow 3rd party to clean it up - makes no difference to me. Without some serious help I'll be moving on and so will a lot of others!

Thank god. So happy there will not be add-ons.

Add-ons make the game easier/more efficient/less complex (call it what you want) and I don't want that.

Keep it complex, I personally don't feel the need for any extra assistance/leg-ups and I am prepared to put in the time and effort to master my own raw gameplay.

Whether it is working out how to individually control the myriad abilities (and therefore keybinds) we all posses, discovering which rotations work the best, how I'm holding agro if I'm tanking, or having to click between party members as quick as I can as a healer, I'm prepared to do it and I don't want any more advantages conferred onto myself or others.

Just my opinion :)

Having said that, BioWare still needs to make the UI far more customizable, at the moment your options are atrocious.

Add-ons make the game easier/more efficient/less complex (call it what you want) and I don't want that.

Keep it complex, I personally don't feel the need for any extra assistance/leg-ups and I am prepared to put in the time and effort to master my own raw gameplay.

Whether it is working out how to individually control the myriad abilities (and therefore keybinds) we all posses, discovering which rotations work the best, how I'm holding agro if I'm tanking, or having to click between party members as quick as I can as a healer, I'm prepared to do it and I don't want any more advantages conferred onto myself or others.

Having said that, BioWare still needs to make the UI far more customizable, at the moment your options are atrocious.

Yeah! and you'll be playing with yourself! Either the developers give the UI and functionality some TLC or they open it up to 3rd party. Without that you'll see a gradual decline....

I don't want to fight with the UI. I want to fight with enemy players and NPCs. Information and customization are not automation.

When will all you luddite special snowflakes understand that allowing an addon system which allows players to customize and extend the interface does not go hand in hand with allowing bossmods, meters for spamming, etc. ?

Bioware is fully capable of creating a system in which people can create utilities like an inventory stacker, custom unit frames, better quickslot bars and so on without allowing the API layer access to the combat log. If they can't access the combat log, they can't do any of those big bad awful things that you're so convinced ruined WoW. Besides, we all know that arenas are what ruined WoW.

Seriously though, not allowing ANY addons because of your distaste for SOME addons is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

My guess here is that they are going to iron out the in-house UI a bit before discussing Addons.

I can almost guarantee though that we will not be getting what everyone expects. I am thinking an XML toolkit to reskin elements of the UI, but no tool kit that interacts with Hooks in the game. There is just to much uniformed wanton misinformation by the player base here to support addon implementation. Out of the thousands of addons available for current MMOs, people here cite 3 of them and scream and yell about them being the incarnate of the all that is evil in the world.

Who I feel really bad for is the major gaming venues such as Curse gaming, Torhead and other data collection sites that are now basically borked with their plans of providing a service of item database tools for users to browse. Most of those websites use a local client that interacted via the UI toolkit to build their tables. That will not be possible now.

I say that sadly as well, being an interface developer myself.

Edited by Rephlexie

The simple fact of the matter is "game i shall not name" raised the bar by allowing players to have the ability to customize their interface and create cool mods.

Yes there were some mods created that automated the game for you, such as auto healing mods, and mods that told you exactly where to stand. "game company i shall not name" banned those mods.

The simple fact is anyone who makes a new mmo will have to allow customizable ui and mods because it is expected by over 50% of people who play these games.

For those of you who say mods are not needed you can simply not use them.

This is what you sound like to me.

I don't like to drink pepsi cola therefore no one should drink it.

or you sound like those rich guys on tv saying "rich people should have to pay more taxes"

fine if your rich and you think rich people should pay more taxes, THEN PAY MORE TAXES, instead of getting on tv and preaching it.

ps no one should drink pepsi cause it sucks! LOL

This will be what kills the game for me. The UI is crap, i've given ample time to get used to it, healing the way it is just plain sucks.

Meh, went ahead and canceled over nothing more than the UI.. "You have 14 days of play time remaining. When your play time runs out, you will no longer be able to play. Please sign up for a recurring subscription plan or redeem a Game Time Code"

Edited by GoHorns

I hope bioware will stick to the no-addons rule. I really hope so.

I even wonder when the yelling for macros/addons will go down a bit. maybe on the 21st? maybe in february? maybe in a year? I don't remember how long it took for it to quiet down in LotRo.. mh.

personally I think people should be used to the game mechanics by now.

and so nobody gets me wrong:

I'm far from happy with the UI. I would love to have target of target myself, and a target assistent, and definitely want to be able to freely move my UI around and resize it. but you don't need addons for that, either. it needs to be client-wise to begin with

Edited by amnie

So addons make the game "less complex" but having a companion healing you or tanking for you AND lvling your professions for 50 lvls is fine?