Dissapointed in SWTOR? You might just have MMO Burnout.

thestackshow

For those saying the game sucks, I agree it does not live up to the hype, but what did you expect?

Honestly, what did you expect? MMO's cannot revolutionize the genre, the end game is always going to be the same. Dailies, PvP, Raids, and Instances.

Thats it.

If you dont like those four things, you just dont like MMO end games.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it has much to do with mmo burnout at all. SWTOR is disappointing most people because they see what the game could be, but Bioware keeps shooting themselves in the foot telling players that popular features that have evolved in mmos over the last few years won't be making it into the game.

Honestly, what did you expect? MMO's cannot revolutionize the genre, the end game is always going to be the same. Dailies, PvP, Raids, and Instances.

I'm not trying to say this to be mean, but have you played any mmo other than wow? Or any mmo other than the themepark model?

This genre has barely learned how to crawl. I mean really, you just haven't seen anything yet.

Personally, I LOVE the game.

However, this will probably be my last MMOG for a while. I've been playing them since 2004 (SWG), and I am starting to get really burned out.

hehe im just coming back from burn out!

I started in 1991 and I mostly stopped when WOW hit the scene.

Beta tested it breifly, saw how utterly devoid of challenge or anything remotely resembleing skill being required and HATED the potential WOW community, so took a nice long break from MMOs.

Came back in RIFT. Amazing game, for 3 weeks.

Once you finished leveling to max and it was up to community and game to hold interest, it couldnt and failled badly.

TOR was my last stab at the Genre. I was rEALLY HOPING Bioware would step back in time to PRE WOW ERA on many designs and bring a quality, memorable experience that pushed the community to high level of decor.

Well the game delivers a memorable experience. The storylines are fantastic and im enjoying them greatly.

Sadly they did nothing to promote a better community

Sadly they did not to make their max level meaningfull

They outright gave RPers the virtual "flip off" with calling PVE rule set servers RP servers

Basically they laid the ground work for a next generation MMORPG experience and then chickened out and copied Blizzards pandering to the absolute lowest common denominator .

Sad thing is, history has shown us this formula ONLY WORKED FOR WOW

So I do expect this game to start bleeding accounts at around the 3-4 month mark after release. Which is sad as with just a small degree of fore thought, they could have created a enviroment and experience players would willingly log in to for years and years and years.

Now its to late!

Im guessing TOR does a brisk (but high turn over) bussiness for first 2 years (like RIFT doing) and then we start hearing REAL RUMORS of b2p or f2p mechanics being looked at because of the high turn over rate of customers.

Sad as if planned properly, this game could easily have kept the greater majority happily chasing the virtual dragon for 3-4-5 years.

So yeah, not burn out for me, just really depressed at the lack of foresight and vision by our industries so call proffessionals.

Till a Developer gets serious about making a game that will last for years and keepo you wanting to log in, this probably last MMORPG for me as well.

Im just tired of being disappointed by the bussiness side of the companies.

Except that is completely untrue, the reason so many games are going F2P is because the "MMO player" (note I am making a distinction here vs. the "WoW player") hit a new MMO up, plays for 30-90 days, then jumps ship for the next shiny object, complaining all the way.

The MMO playerbase, as a whole, is detrimental to the future of the genre IMO.

Maybe because we haven't been given something actually new since wow.

In eq, u didn't quest, u grinded mobs. This was hard and eventually got old cause u couldn't ever do it solo.

Wow came along and the primary way to level became quests. Awesome right? We could do this solo.... And we did it a lot, for a long time....

What comes next? We don't know cause everyone is still trying to drive content with quests. Damn right we are burned out, someone needs to design something new already.

I've played a lot of Star Wars games. Some make me say "I feel like I'm playing a Star Wars game!" others, not so much. Outside of the space combat, this game falls far into the latter. Both KOTOR 1&2 felt like Star Wars. This game is an MMORPG first, and a Star Wars game second. The sad thing is, it could have easily had been both if the designers weren't mindlessly aping Warhammer Online.

For those saying the game sucks, I agree it does not live up to the hype, but what did you expect?

Thats it.

If you dont like those four things, you just dont like MMO end games.

Have you every played anything but wow? Serisously?

What did I expect? Something I was not sick of by level 40? Ignorant hypocritical story lines, broken missions, redundant "once you have done 5 different missions" you have done every mission until 50.

This game is sad very very sad. It is 10 years old in technology.

No burnout this game sucks. Unacceptable Bugs, Dead Worlds, Boring PVP, Boring Space battles, Boring Mission, No Community, No Socializing.

It was released half finished and they have lost the "first impression". This game is even worse than WAR when it released.

I am not burned out on Eve Online I picked it right back up and is good as always. This game is totally trash. The companions are cool stuff the story was fine for a while. The rest of this game is useless.

Sorry but that is just the way it is.

Hum...I don't think we are playing the same game. Especially the part about no community and socializing. My guild has 50+ members on 24/7 and our guild chat is a constant sea of green.

MMO burnout could be a big factor in the dissatisfaction. I generally burnout on an MMO in the first couple of weeks. But not this time. There is so much to do in TOR that I havent't exhausted all the options in the game yet. Not to mention all the content that is yet to come (you have read the stickies at the top of this board, right?).

Quite frankly, if you don't find TOR fun, then you probably don't like MMOs in general.

I'm not trying to say this to be mean, but have you played any mmo other than wow? Or any mmo other than the themepark model?

This genre has barely learned how to crawl. I mean really, you just haven't seen anything yet.

This genre has been around since 1991 and WOW was just a copy paste and dumb down sequence of design.

This genre is well past crawling stage and posters (your not first one to say this nonsense) need to actually learn about MMORPG before you talk about how old and developed it is.

EVERYTHING regarding MMORPGs has been answered prior to WOW. WOW answered how to market a game.

Fact that developers keep making bone headed choices like giving away Maxlevel in a week DOES NOT MEAN this hasnt been already clearly shown as a huge mistake.

This genre learned to run before WOW even hit the scene.

I understand people are dissapointed with this game, but the reality is, its no different from other MMOS.

In the grand scheme of things, MMO's at end game can only offer so much.

You have dailies, pvp, raids, and instances that you use to gear up for said raids.

Thats pretty much it.

The community, your friends, and/or guild you are in is what will effect how much you play, and how often you do and might just affect how much fun you have.

You arent going to find a different end game in any other game, its all the same with various degrees of graphics, for example, the end game in SWTOR is no different then WoW, except we are in the star wars universe, thats a good thing, its a change of environment.

If you got this game expecting level 50 to be completely different then in any other MMO, im sorry but you had your expectations too high.

SWTOR is a great game, but if you are tired of the whole "stagnant level 50 play, i want faster content to keep me entertained" you just might be burnt out as far as MMO's go and its time to move on to other types of games.

No dude, the game sucks.

This is the perfect fanboy thread. No attempt to consider that the game might actually be disappointing--instead, fanboy cognitive dissonance dictates that some alternate version of reality must exist to explain these feelings.

Is somebody mad that the majority of people (95% +) enjoy this game?

aww.

Is somebody mad that the majority of people (95% +) enjoy this game?

aww.

Are you sure you understand the terms used in the post you quote?

Are you aware of what cognitive dissonance is? The OP is a case and point example of such, whether you want to agree or not.

Hum...I don't think we are playing the same game. Especially the part about no community and socializing. My guild has 50+ members on 24/7 and our guild chat is a constant sea of green.

MMO burnout could be a big factor in the dissatisfaction. I generally burnout on an MMO in the first couple of weeks. But not this time. There is so much to do in TOR that I havent't exhausted all the options in the game yet. Not to mention all the content that is yet to come (you have read the stickies at the top of this board, right?).

Quite frankly, if you don't find TOR fun, then you probably don't like MMOs in general.

YEs I am playing the same game as everyone else. You like YAY for you. You must not be asking for much in a game.

There is no Burnout what is wrong with you people. I picked up EVE right back up where I was and was having fun in 10 mins. Burnout? No PISSOFF yes. 60 dollars for this POS. Right, you keep pretending it is something it is not.

I understand people are dissapointed with this game, but the reality is, its no different from other MMOS.

In the grand scheme of things, MMO's at end game can only offer so much.

You have dailies, pvp, raids, and instances that you use to gear up for said raids.

Thats pretty much it.

The community, your friends, and/or guild you are in is what will effect how much you play, and how often you do and might just affect how much fun you have.

You arent going to find a different end game in any other game, its all the same with various degrees of graphics, for example, the end game in SWTOR is no different then WoW, except we are in the star wars universe, thats a good thing, its a change of environment.

If you got this game expecting level 50 to be completely different then in any other MMO, im sorry but you had your expectations too high.

SWTOR is a great game, but if you are tired of the whole "stagnant level 50 play, i want faster content to keep me entertained" you just might be burnt out as far as MMO's go and its time to move on to other types of games.

My friend and I constantly level as a Duo. We love the game, and play maybe 1-3 hours a night on weekdays (if we're lucky and time allows, won't be the same during college courses + work), or hell... we've played for 12 hours on weekends, and the best we did is hit 34 so far on our 'mains' of 5-7 different characters we have.

We are eating up the game, but we also bounce off the game every once in a while to play Hoard, Post Apocolyptic Mayhem, Or other games we have.

It's about finding a healthy balance between your Gaming, your real life, your personal life... and within each one, having a healthy balance there. If all you do all day is grind away on SWTOR with only Work/School to change things up a bit, it's going to start to feel more like a second job, and like you said, make you feel burned out.

I think I agree with the poster 100%. I've had bugs that drive me MAD, but when I get too stressed by it, I look at my partner and say "Let's go burn a village in Hoard", or "Let's go get our faces eaten off in resident evil 5 / Dead rising 2."

Right now, I work from 8:30 AM-3:00 or 5:00 PM weekdays. When I get home, I workout for an hour or two, and then I meet up with my partner. We don't advance as fast, because I don't log in obsessively, but we have fun and the game is MORE THAN WORTH IT to us.

When we hit endgame, we will most likely level alts. because we have our balance and fun. This won't work for everyone, and I do hope BioWare is able to add more content that makes end-game players happy... but as far as a casual gamer perspective goes, we're happy.

Signed: The guy that bought 2 copies of the game, and was so happy with 'em, he upgraded to the Delux edition. We're happy with the purchase!

Till a Developer gets serious about making a game that will last for years and keepo you wanting to log in, this probably last MMORPG for me as well.

Im just tired of being disappointed by the bussiness side of the companies.

Yes, these companies should be spending hundreds of millions of dollars catering to .5% of the potential mmo customer base. That's a great idea!.

Bub, the kinds of games you want are out there. You're not supporting them because they're not high profile enough for you.

You're just being another one that needs everyone else to like what you like, thinks that those that don't like what you like are the "lowest common denominator", and believes that if the big boys can just force players to like what you like everything will be right with the world.

Edited by Umbral

I've played a lot of Star Wars games. Some make me say "I feel like I'm playing a Star Wars game!" others, not so much. Outside of the space combat, this game falls far into the latter. Both KOTOR 1&2 felt like Star Wars. This game is an MMORPG first, and a Star Wars game second. The sad thing is, it could have easily had been both if the designers weren't mindlessly aping Warhammer Online.

I'm curious...how is this game similar to Warhammer?

THis game is not a shadow of warhammer. If they tried to copy it they were terrible at it.

This game took things from dozen different games and failed at making any of them worth playing besides companion which is their game and did well. The rest they blew up.

The game just feels cold and calculated, roomy space and no one to share it with.

If I didn't have my guildies I think I would be very alone.

NO campfires, no random exploring, everything is pretty much set.

This is what they say in WoW. Imagine if everyone in WoW didn't have any Family/Guildie/Friends playing... Yeah, scary.

This genre has been around since 1991 and WOW was just a copy paste and dumb down sequence of design.

This genre is well past crawling stage and posters (your not first one to say this nonsense) need to actually learn about MMORPG before you talk about how old and developed it is.

EVERYTHING regarding MMORPGs has been answered prior to WOW. WOW answered how to market a game.

Fact that developers keep making bone headed choices like giving away Maxlevel in a week DOES NOT MEAN this hasnt been already clearly shown as a huge mistake.

This genre learned to run before WOW even hit the scene.

Would you agree that wow was trying to do things different than eq moreso than swtor is with wow?

They took a risk on making mmos more accessible and it paid off big time.... Swtor hasn't risked crap, they appropriated the core of their game from wow and IMO it suffers for it. It's at best as good as wow, and at worst it's a wow clone. Lose/lose of you are looking for something new in this genre.

Edited by kalexkhan

YEs I am playing the same game as everyone else. You like YAY for you. You must not be asking for much in a game.

There is no Burnout what is wrong with you people. I picked up EVE right back up where I was and was having fun in 10 mins. Burnout? No PISSOFF yes. 60 dollars for this POS. Right, you keep pretending it is something it is not.

See, I guess that's why there will always be a debate. Opinions of a game are just that...opinions. For every opion you have of TOR, I have the exact opposite. And it's vice versa with EVE. I played that game for 22days and just completely lost interest because of prertty much the same reasons you don't like TOR. I could see the potential there but it just wasn't for me (plus CCP has turned out to be a pretty shady company).

Maybe the problem is both ‘mmo burnout’ and ‘disappointment with the product’

Ultimately, this game is exactly like every other game that’s come before it. There’s very little new in the way of features or gameplay.

People are burned out with MMOs because they keep ending up in the same one over and over again, with minor cosmetic differences.