Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Best MMO PvP you ever played?

Lazyllama

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried it once, my first 20 mins in game. I walked up onto a dock to get a ferry across some lake. A guard instantly attacked me (NPC)....an I quit lol. That was my first ever look at MMO's I didn't know anything about them at that stage.

Yeah. Another feature of that game was that each city/area had its own faction and you had to quest it up to max. Even your own. Because the enemy could sneak in and do the quests too, and if your faction was lower than theirs the guards would attack you.

I remember many a day when low level halflings were killed in thier own backyard by their own guards....and yes lost experience for it.

I don't think anyone on these forums could take servers like that anymore.

Yeah. Another feature of that game was that each city/area had its own faction and you had to quest it up to max. Even your own. Because the enemy could sneak in and do the quests too, and if your faction was lower than theirs the guards would attack you.

I remember many a day when low level halflings were killed in thier own backyard by their own guards....and yes lost experience for it.

I don't think anyone on these forums could take servers like that anymore.

oh I would kill for it now man. hehe took me a VERY short time to get hooked on pvp servers.

I liked Darkfall's combat, that was pretty fun. You had to aim all of your attacks so it made the combat more visceral and skill based. Plus you had the thrill of looting other people's gear. It wasn't that bad to lose your stuff though since you had a bank you could store multiple sets of gear and materials. I wouldn't wear my best stuff anyway unless I was out with the guild. The overall game was kinda wack though as it was just a glorified FPS with grinding since you had no reason not to gank anyone and everyone you came across. I like a world where pvp is an element of the game not the entire point of it

others that were good were vanilla WoW, Warhammer, and DAOC

Edited by HBninjaX

Where it started is where it ended: Ultima Online launch - ~2000.

+1

UO through UO:T2A was the awesome, everything before Trammel (Renaissance) care bearness ruined a game that forced you to be one up on your enemy at all times, whether that meant fighting or straight up fleeing.

Skill-based character progression, immersive crafting and vending (house vendors/stores were first AH -- not to mention to be a good merchant you advertised on forums, built relationships -- true sandbox!), customizable UI (you could actually drag the display/skill/inventory gumps) -- most of these are not implemented as well on modern MMO games. Not to mention the rep, Order/Chaos system that governed the risks/rewards of PKing and PvP. All from a game started in like '97 - a full 15 years ago.

Oh my gosh if old school UO gameplay, skill progression, crafting, housing was duplicated in a modern 3D engine, it would slay, but only attract the truly hardcore gamer, cuz if you died, your entire corpse could be looted of its inventory.

/nostalgia

Edited by neves_meid

eve online, no question. one server, one universe. death always results in material loss, no matter what. even playing the economy is technically pvp. nowhere is safe, you can be shot and killed anywhere. despite these pvp mechanisms, in the end, the big powerblocks usually fall due to political maneuvering and/or corporate infiltration.

i still play eve, and get my fix of real pvp and "hardcoreness" from it. i see SWTOR for what it is: a casual game. perhaps some of you could attain similar enlightenment, in time.

+1

UO through UO:T2A was the awesome, everything before Trammel (Renaissance) care bearness ruined a game that forced you to be one up on your enemy at all times, whether that meant fighting or straight up fleeing.

Skill-based character progression, immersive crafting and vending (house vendors/stores were first AH -- not to mention to be a good merchant you advertised on forums, built relationships -- true sandbox!), customizable UI (you could actually drag the display/skill/inventory gumps) -- most of these are not implemented as well on modern MMO games. Not to mention the rep, Honor/Chaos system that governed the risks/rewards of PKing and PvP. All from a game started in like '97 - a full 15 years ago.

Oh my gosh if old school UO gameplay, skill progression, crafting, housing was duplicated in a modern 3D engine, it would slay, but only attract the truly hardcore gamer, cuz if you died, your entire corpse could be looted of its inventory.

/nostalgia

Without the warp hacks

speed hacks

I liked Darkfall's combat, that was pretty fun. You had to aim all of your attacks so it made the combat more visceral and skill based. Plus you had the thrill of looting other people's gear. It wasn't that bad to lose your stuff though since you had a bank you could store multiple sets of gear and materials. I wouldn't wear my best stuff anyway unless I was out with the guild. The overall game was kinda wack though as it was just a glorified FPS with grinding since you had no reason not to gank anyone and everyone you came across. I like a world where pvp is an element of the game not the entire point of it

others that were good were vanilla WoW, Warhammer, and DAOC

Trouble with darkfall is everyone ran round nakid so they didn't risk anything. gangs of 50 guys would camp the newbe areas, killing someone for there starter gear, then scream race hate at them for an hour.

eve online, no question. one server, one universe. death always results in material loss, no matter what. even playing the economy is technically pvp. nowhere is safe, you can be shot and killed anywhere. despite these pvp mechanisms, in the end, the big powerblocks usually fall due to political maneuvering and/or corporate infiltration.

i still play eve, and get my fix of real pvp and "hardcoreness" from it. i see SWTOR for what it is: a casual game. perhaps some of you could attain similar enlightenment, in time.

lol 7 year vet. ex GC/AAA/XXdeath :D

Asheron's Call and its not even close to being debatable. However most of you young bucks have never played nor heard of this game. To all that have said World of Warcraft, have you ever played a MMO other than WoW? How could this be a serious statement?

-AC (like previous posters stated, actual skill came into play not just CC or Numbers, not to mention Turbine knew how to make content patches, damn near monthly world events, as well as acknowleding the player base with spells named after famous player toons and statues)

-DAOC (Emain Macha, Keeps, Relics, DF... to many good memories of this game)

Edited by Vikaline

Asheron's Call and, if you call it an MMO, Guild Wars are the best I've played.

DAoC had it's good points - DF concept was an absolute homerun, I'm still hoping some game will copy that. It also had it's bad points - gear/ability gap between low and high realm ranks were enormous. Class balance was iffy for a long time - e.g. anyone who's ever played the game has heard the phrase "The only thing a Thane can kill is your frame rate."

Planetside.

No other game has the same epicness as Planetside. Where else can you do a drop insertion from three large aircrafts, basicly dropping 60 people right into the enemy base while others stand outsdie, shelling the walls with tanks and airplanes.

It's insane!

Warhammer Online.

Tier 1-3 had epic world pvp and great pvp scenarios. The mechanics also ecuraged group play in a way I haven't experienced anywhere else. Sword and Board Swordmaster guarding a twohanded warrior priest = epic imortallity. Damn I miss it!