Is rolling GREED just as bad as rolling NEED if you don't need the gear?

Majestic_Jazz

You pass by clicking the little X on the top righthand corner of the box.

Personally, there should be a button that says PASS on it right with the Need/Greed buttons.

There isn't a pass option, but if you hit the X to close the window it passes.

Ahh, thank you! I never knew an x was there, I'll pay attention for it next time. Cheers!

Agreed, there should definitely be a Pass button, not just a little "x."

Edited by Zebular

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but if you Passed and they Greeded, they're just going to vend it.

Pass is only if you're in a group with friends/guildies and you really really don't need credits.

You are misunderstanding what I am getting at.

I am not complaining because I selected Pass and did not get an item. I only said that I pass if I don't WANT or NEED the item.

If my character, MY CHARACTER.....not my companions but if my character needs the item, I'll click need. My gripe is when I click need for an item such as a chest piece armor that is VERY heavy in Enduarance which is what my Vanguard needs, I would lose that item to a Jedi Sage who clearly does not need the item! I rolled need and she rolled greed and won.....

I am not complaining because I selected Pass and did not get an item. I only said that I pass if I don't WANT or NEED the item.

If my character, MY CHARACTER.....not my companions but if my character needs the item, I'll click need. My gripe is when I click need for an item such as a chest piece armor that is VERY heavy in Enduarance which is what my Vanguard needs, I would lose that item to a Jedi Sage who clearly does not need the item! I rolled need and she rolled greed and won.....

that just simply...doesn't happen..

The way I play, if it goes on my companion, I roll need, if it doesn't, I just roll pass.

I find it more disrespectful to roll Need on an item for a companion. Companion gear should not go before main toons. If no mains need then everyone should Greed since we all have companions.

I find it more disrespectful to roll Need on an item for a companion. Companion gear should not go before main toons. If no mains need then everyone should Greed since we all have companions.

This is a good point aswell

I dont really understand the point here

Rolling greed means that you will not get the item if someone else in the team selects need

so there is no unfairness here

If the item is not useful for anyone hence no-one selects need then it will default to whoever gets lucky on the highest greed roll

No reason not to do this

This is common across pretty much every MMO I can think of

The only unusual aspect on TOR is that you also need to consider if the gear is good for your favorite companion also

The way I play, if it goes on my companion, I roll need

That's pretty terrible of you, actually.

I tend to Need on gear that I either actually need to upgrade my character, or really want because my companion uses it, or I really just want it for looks/RP-value etc.

That's pretty terrible of you, also.

Edited by Kharik

Look, you are describing a ninja, and these people are insta-kicked from the group and put on your ignore-list. Of course such behavior is unacceptable.

I don't see the problem here. If you need the item for the character you are currently playing then you press need. If you want to disassemble it for parts to craft, vendor it or want it for a companion then greed? How is this in any way disrespectful to anyone? Whats the alternative leaving the gear on the corpse if nobody needs it?

As for companions sorry I dont think anyone should need on items for companions otherwise people will just roll need on everything. I see little difference between someone taking an item for a companion as for someone taking an item for credits or disassembling for materials.

Greed cannot win over Need. Period.

If this has happened to you, you better get in contact with support.

And double check what you've clicked, you may have misclicked greed.

Edited by Kharik

I dont really understand the point here

Rolling greed means that you will not get the item if someone else in the team selects need

so there is no unfairness here

I have lost items in which I clicked need to those who clicked greed. Mind you these are items that my character needed and the other didn't. Like I lost out on Hammer Station orange Trooper Helmet [i'm a Trooper Vanguard] to a Smuggler who rolled greed. When I asked him why, he said that he needs it for his companion Corso Riggs.

Again, the item was clearly meant for my character and I lost out on it even though I clicked need and he clicked greed.

If you need on items for your companions than i would remove you from any group I'm in. That's way more of an a-hole move imo. Go do quests if you want to beef up your companion.

To add to this, everyone has companions and will generally need to gear them up. That's what "GREED" is all about. If YOU don't NEED it, then GREED it.

No, need for companions carries a lot more weight than just vendoring the item. But naturally never need for a companion over a main toon. If I find an item that I need for a companion I will wait and see if anyone needs for their main, and if not, those who need it for companions can need, and finally everyone else can greed.

As I said, we need a 'need for companion' button.

Also, need should bind an item to you.

How is this even a question?

-Need it? Roll need.

-Want to sell it? Roll greed. Everyone gets a shot at the money, and if someone is too inept to roll need on something they need, then that's their problem and not mine.

-Don't care and don't need the money? Pass.

Extremely simple system.

The way I see it, either YOU need the gear or don't. I am not talking about needing it for your companion or to sell on GTN, but needing to put on your character. The way I play, if it goes on my companion, I roll need, if it doesn't, I just roll pass.

That is the funny thing though. I am level 43 and out of all the heroics/flashpoints I ran, I think I only played with one person who actually passed on gear. Everyone else tends to roll greed if they don't need the gear and in many times, actually win.

Is there any point in the game where you are blocked from winning gear that doesn't pertain to your character?

This is where I'm going to say "you're doing it wrong". First off, GREED means just that: Greed. In layman's terms, it means that you're rolling just for the sake that if nobody needs it then you can sell it and get the cash.

However, I'd say that you're in the wrong for rolling on gear that YOU yourself don't need and only your companion can use. That itself is selfish, especially if there's a player in your group that could have used the gear as an upgrade for him/herself instead of just for a companion.

I have lost items in which I clicked need to those who clicked greed. Mind you these are items that my character needed and the other didn't. Like I lost out on Hammer Station orange Trooper Helmet [i'm a Trooper Vanguard] to a Smuggler who rolled greed. When I asked him why, he said that he needs it for his companion Corso Riggs.

Again, the item was clearly meant for my character and I lost out on it even though I clicked need and he clicked greed.

Sounds like a bug then, Need should always trump Greed. Have you raised a ticket?

No, I really don't think you have. I think you are mistaken. If you have then you have found a bug in the game and you should report it. Need > greed no matter how high the greed roll or how low the need roll.

That's not the way it works. Either it was a bug or it didn't happen.

This is not possible.

That's just a lie, or a serious bug.

Need > Greed

Also, you're a huge jerkwad if you really need items for your companions.