Best PvP Build for Powertechs?

Zuesy

As of right now, Ion Gas Cylinder is either bugged out or the tooltip is wrong. The damage currently is about 40% of the tooltip as a lot of other powertechs had confirmed. 40% of the tooltip should be ~200 damage for me. 25% of that is a whooping of 50 damage.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, my build is http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMZMcZfhrbdhGMs.1

Is based on 90% arm pen of rail shot. I do not know whether to go for 15% crit of rail shot of 4/4 eliminator set (2/4 useless for powertech), or buy combat tech's set with carbonize 0.5s more cc and 15% crit of rocket punch.

With that particular build, I'd go with the 15% crit on rail shot because .5 seconds isn't game changing and Rocket Punch isn't an absolute must-use ability vs. the ST/pyro build.

Don't know the statistical difference on the gear, but by set bonus alone, the 15% Rail Shot seems to be the winner.

As of right now, Ion Gas Cylinder is either bugged out or the tooltip is wrong. The damage currently is about 40% of the tooltip as a lot of other powertechs had confirmed. 40% of the tooltip should be ~200 damage for me. 25% of that is a whooping of 50 damage.

Thanks for that!

Edited by Salabon

Here's the spec I use: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301RRGbbMdoZ0MZbIbbdh.1

Emphasis on Rail Shot (and RB but more about Rail Shot), you can pull an impressive amount of damage for a tank hybrid while keeping the mobility and survivability. Yes, I'm using Ion Gas Cylinder to increase my shield chance (for survivability and talents like Flame Shield and Shield Vent). I'm using the DPS "Eliminator" set for the 15% chance to crit on Rail Shot. I will never see a 5k crit, but a 2.5k RB followed by a 3.5k Rail Shot is just as satisfying. Stacking Explosive Fuel with a Relic will give you massive amount of burst given decent luck.

Can you tell me the order you put these in?

It has to be wasted to reach Superheated Rail. And no one is stupid enough to spec for Shield Vent and Flame shield then run with CGC.

True. I guess I didn't think about that.

Still, that's 3 points.

Couldn't they be better spent in Prototype to get retractable blade?

True. I guess I didn't think about that.

Still, that's 3 points.

Couldn't they be better spent in Prototype to get retractable blade?

Nope, venting 8 heat as well as more armor pen. AND resetting Rail Shot CD is far better than Retract. Blade. Not to mention Rail Shot can be used at range.

Best Powertech build for PvP = 21/2/18

I used to run a pure Shieldtech build, and did okay in PvP. Because of AoE, BH are always near the top of the kill list (or should be). But I was definitely lacking that extra "umph" to finish off opponents 1 on 1. Trust me, with a pure Shieldtech build at level 45, you are very hard to kill. It usually took more than 3 to take me down.

But now with this new build, I'm pumping out way more damage and didn't take much of a hit on defense.

The best PVP build is the build that fits you. I'm abit frustrated to see that the "best" builds is all about damage. So if you like to dps the pyrobuild is the way to go, or the adv. P or the hybrid spec. However Tanks are very usefull in pvp as well weather you spec as a ST or a mix of ST/Adv.P.

Tanks are more about CC and supporting rest of the team which I enjoy quit alot. And yes you can earn medals fine like that.

If you are worried about your dps output you should probably have rolled Merc, Sorc or an Agent They just do it better.

Just had to get this out after seeing too many posts about DPS. Hope this shows their is other valid options out there.

Can you tell me the order you put these in?

If you're leveling still, I suggest don't use it til level 48. Because it requires high end talents on both trees. You'll be better using typical build like deep pyro.

The best PVP build is the build that fits you. I'm abit frustrated to see that the "best" builds is all about damage. So if you like to dps the pyrobuild is the way to go, or the adv. P or the hybrid spec. However Tanks are very usefull in pvp as well weather you spec as a ST or a mix of ST/Adv.P.

Tanks are more about CC and supporting rest of the team which I enjoy quit alot. And yes you can earn medals fine like that.

If you are worried about your dps output you should probably have rolled Merc, Sorc or an Agent They just do it better.

Just had to get this out after seeing too many posts about DPS. Hope this shows their is other valid options out there.

I completely agree with playing what you like. The OP was asking for other people input on what their builds are which is why I posted my spec and my playstyle (tanky mobile DPS up in your face build). ST/Pyro isn't the best PvP spec, but it is the best that fit my style.

I completely agree with playing what you like. The OP was asking for other people input on what their builds are which is why I posted my spec and my playstyle (tanky mobile DPS up in your face build). ST/Pyro isn't the best PvP spec, but it is the best that fit my style.

I know what he was asking for, was just trying to make a point that other specs then dps specs are valid for pvp as well depending on playstyle.

I'm always happy to see when people play the spec they like, weather it is to min/max or not, and they took the time to figure out what works for them. :)

its very easy to earn medals at WZ as a pure pyro just play your normal game then before the wz is over switch to ion cylinder and use guard on someone you know will take damage then survive for 10k damage thats 4 medals easy :D so with 6+ medals on doing damage you also get 4 medals bonus :D

Alternative PVP build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hRhrdMroMZrcbroZb.1

Main highlights:

- relying on RetBlade dot rather than IGC procs to keep target dotted for Railshots.

- sacrificing +10% shield proc for more utility and DPS. Empowered Tech is a bit overrated imho, taking into consideration that Flame Shield and Shield Vents have proc cooldowns.

- synergizing No Escape with Advanced Tools for Grapple+Flamethrower combos.

Best thing I feel about this build is that there are no filler or situational talents here. Every single skill point contributes to overall PVP performance.

Feel free to poke the holes, I'll be happy to comment.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoGrbRroMZrMbrZb.1

After a bit of thinking decided to do some tweaks to my orginal build. Newest version is. 27/12/2

Still need like 3 lvls till 50 but atm its performance is pretty solid. Its not made for max dps more maximum utility. I was able to main tank any instance soo far did also all 2 man heroics but usualy i was outleveling content by like 2-3 lvls due to amount of pvp i do.

As fun as it is to be a Pyro and get massive crits, I end up liking the 21/2/18 Spec for PvP.

I use a mix of DPS gear and Tank gear and it works out very very well. The second benefit is, at least on Heroic Flashpoints, in full tank gear I have tanked them all so it saves me a lot of money on respecs :)

Are there any abilities you guys have stopped using or dont use often? I'm just starting a PT but I dont really see any mention of Missile Blast and Explosive Dart.

Also are there any specific rotations you use when opening up on someone in PvP? If so, I'm interested in seeing some ST/Pyro rotations. Thanks! :]

Edited by xDEKOIx

I just tried that spec literally 5 mins ago. Couldn't stand playing Huttball without Jet Charge. TD is stupidly crazy tho. I got a 4.2K crit TD and 3.7k rail shot burst with it. But I guess the spec isn't for me since I melt pretty easy.

I am this spec at 43 - 0/3/31. I've been this spec leveling up. For me, it's hard to change since I've never had the jet charge. I HAVE to use CGC so I can beat melee types one on one since I can kite at will. I can't imagine fighting some of these force types or melee stealthers one on one if I can't separate at a 10M distance to gain control.

MAYBE I will try it out with Ion up then the defense goes up and you can keep runners from leaving your melee range but we shall see.

Edited by Morbidar

You mean 40k protection? ST/Pyro is the jack of all trades, master of none. However, it's that versatility that makes it good in PvP. I can guard/protect my teammates, pull up good damage, and survive quite long. I think my best match is like 400k damage/80k guard.

No 40k more damage over all. I've never hit 400k tho. I've guarded over 120k and 280k dam. So pyro does a lot more damage? Hmmm. I might have to try it. I really like retractable blade tho.

I might not get over 300k, but either my matches end early or something. Cuase that 280k is either first or second overall. ANd if second I'm only like 20-40k off leader who's straight up DPS.

I'm thinking along the lines of this now:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMGbbMroZrcrroZb.1

Edited by dardack

Are there any abilities you guys have stopped using or dont use often? I'm just starting a PT but I dont really see any mention of Missile Blast and Explosive Dart.

Also are there any specific rotations you use when opening up on someone in PvP? If so, I'm interested in seeing some ST/Pyro rotations. Thanks! :]

ST/Pyro doesn't really have a set rotation. It uses a priority system, one which can be wildly unpredictable at times because it plays like a damn slot machine (granted a slot machine that pays out big pretty damn frequently).

Incin Missile (To keep the Burn DoT up)

Rail Shot (With Prototype Particle Accelerator up)

Rocket Punch (Used while PPA is up ONLY when you NEED the snare)

Rail Shot (Without PPA up. Will almost never happen)

Flame Burst

Rapid Shots (if ~30-40 heat)

ST/Pyro can play a lot more fast and loose with heat because you vent so damn much. I care a lot less about the first break point than I used to and only really freak out at around 50 heat. Usually if you bounce over 40 heat you'll be down below 20 before you can bat an eyelash.

In my experience, if anything has to suffer because of heat limitations (usually there are none, but sometimes you'll get either sloppy or unlucky) then it is usually Incin Missile.

Incin is good damage and helps you refund your 8 heat, but if you are having Heat issues then you either want to just finish a fight and get it over with or everything just went **** up and you're about to die anyway. If you are finishing a fight you can either Rearm and Reload or you'll be stuck in hard and will need what heat your saved to Incin your next target anyway. If you're dying you should just be trying to redline your heat with meaningful damage in any way possible.

Definitely try to keep that debuff up though. It is only pretty extreme situations where I forego it but I figure I'd mention it anyway.

Incin is also your best candidate for Thermal Sensor Override, just for efficiency's sake. You get more out of a TSO spent on Incin because it costs more than everything else you've got.

Ideal opener of course is closing to range (walk, jet charge, grapple, whatever) followed by Incin -> Rail Shot -> Rocket Punch. Situationally you might want to do your Rocket Punch immediately for your Ion snare, it isn't ideal but sometimes that snare outweighs a perfect opener.

GLHF

Edited by chainsawsamurai

So in a ST/Pyro hybrid build with Jet Charge and Prototype Particle Accelerator, what are the relative merits of 2 points in Puncture, Prototype Burn Enhancers, or Flame Surge? 60% armor piercing on Rail Shot, versus 6% crit chance on all fire effects, versus 30% surge on Rocket Punch. I'm leaning toward Flame Surge but not strongly. Thoughts?