The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Surname's Unique?! Are you Kidding Me?!!!

oblongship

This is the absolute biggest crock of crap I have ever seen.

Coming from SWG..you know the game made in what 2003? Me and all my close friends all had the same last name. We were stoked to learn about the legacy system and we could all grab the same last name again.

Today I unlocked it and pops up "sorry that name is already in use" which means even if I choose another one, we all can't grab the same surname.

This may not seem like a big deal to you guys but it is to me and my wife and friends.

Troll at will don't care...Bioware you have done a lot of things right but the things you did wrong are quickly out weighing those you did right.

Coming from SWG..you know the game made in what 2003? Me and all my close friends all had the same last name. We were stoked to learn about the legacy system and we could all grab the same last name again.

Today I unlocked it and pops up "sorry that name is already in use" which means even if I choose another one, we all can't grab the same surname.

This may not seem like a big deal to you guys but it is to me and my wife and friends.

Troll at will don't care...Bioware you have done a lot of things right but the things you did wrong are quickly out weighing those you did right.

Hmm....idk....everywhere I went on Flurry there was a Hastur....got kind of annoying.

Hmm....idk....everywhere I went on Flurry there was a Hastur....got kind of annoying.

Well man it should be our choice ya know? The players on what last name we want to choose. Even for the RP community I can see how this would be beyond annoying for them to not be able to have the same last name as their wife, or siblings (in their RP world) or heck I want to have the same last name as my wife and RL brother that play to.

It just boggles my mind that in an entire galaxy they don't think 2 people would have the same last name.

I agree with your sentiment.

Your last sentence is wrong in my opinion. There is so much right with this game that letting such a crappy game system such as "Legacy" drag down what is an otherwise fine mmo experience is borderline criminal. Ok, that last bit was hyperbole :D

Edited by Uhuru

In most games you don't even have a surname.

Consider yourself lucky.

I agree with your sentiment.

Your last sentence is wrong in my opinion. There is so much right with this game that letting such a crappy game system such as "Legacy" drag down what is an otherwise fine mmo experience is borderline criminal. Ok, that last bit was hyperbole :D

Well I put that in there so that it didn't seem like I 100% hated it.

But little things keep stacking up to the point where when this hit it's just like W HAT THE HECK were you even thinking Bioware?

The legacy system isn't finished yet.

Also to add on to the counter argument.

If it isn't finished it shouldn't be in. If they decide to put it in knowing it's not finished (like the tooltip on the legacy name chooser says) they shouldn't deny support to change the name if something like this happens.

Furthermore, another reason they shouldn't deny support is because it makes you choose instantly...THEN 5 minutes later sends you an email describing what it actually is. This has caught a lot of users off guard.

In most games you don't even have a surname.

Consider yourself lucky.

ORLY? What MMO's do YOU normally play?

EQ, EQ2, WoW, LOTRO, DAoC, SWG.... So, what game was that that doesn't have surnames?...

But I digress... I really hope they AREN'T finished with the Legacy system because as I've posted before, I keep wanting to compliment this game but all the little things really annoy the hec out of me.

Except this game isn't SWG? And has absolutely nothing to do with that game?

I got a pretty solid description when I landed on the Fleet Station and was able to choose mine. Considering it's a tag system to benefit your personal characters on that specific server, why would you assume it was anything other than exactly what it is? Which, to throw up the counter opinion, is absolutely awesome?

Legacy System sucks. It doesn't matter to me if it isn't finished -- they totally screwed the pooch on the only part I'll ever give a damn about. Surnames should be non-unique, and you should be able to pick one per character, rather than one per server.

Barring that, however, why the hell can't we change them?

The Legacy system is designed for you and your alt characters, it seems BioWare are really pinning their hopes on people constantly rolling an alt. Hence very little end game content.

The Legacy system does not care about your friends or your wife. Sorry.

@OP

Are you kidding me? You want to have same surname as your friends? How about be in the same guild instead? What's the point of the surname if everyone can use it? You and your friends make a good legacy name and your'e all known and whatever, then I take same surname and troll your legacy.

Working as intended I say and if it will change - then it will be the biggest crap about legacy names.

I also love the idea of a legacy name gaining infamy on a server. you spot a guy with say; moonwrecker (note to self remember that name for alt on another server) And Instantly know that this is not a guy to mess with or is a guy that knows his stuff.

Also to add on to the counter argument.

If it isn't finished it shouldn't be in. If they decide to put it in knowing it's not finished (like the tooltip on the legacy name chooser says) they shouldn't deny support to change the name if something like this happens.

Furthermore, another reason they shouldn't deny support is because it makes you choose instantly...THEN 5 minutes later sends you an email describing what it actually is. This has caught a lot of users off guard.

Maybe they decided to put it in so that people can start leveling it up right as we start playing, and then add in the features and name changes and all later when they actually finish it. That way, people who have lots of high level characters don't get screwed over by not having gotten any of that experience for all those quests and kills.

I don't know why people wouldn't get why you'd want the same last name as others. My brother and I had a habit of choosing the same last names in a lot of games, cause... we're brothers. On RP servers this has got to have people going crazy, people love to marry each other and have kids and be related to each other. I get the idea behind making the surname unique, but not being able to be related when there's a last name system in the game is kinda wierd. Edited by Grondoth