Do you think story is really what MMO players want?

SnoopyDoo

I'm playing this game because it's a story driven MMO. I really enjoy the way it's implemented. if SWTOR wasn't a story driven MMO, I'd certainly not play it, because there is other title on the market or soon on the market that are not story driven and are very fun in their own way.

If I wasn't playing SWTOR, I'd play Tera (soon released), or maybe WOW (after all end game is well made), or Rift.

So to answer OP. It depend of the game. In SWTOR, story is important, because story is what make SWTOR special, different.

indeed the combat system in tera is very very nice and works, tis a shame about some other aspects of that game though.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only a small fraction changes. It's boring after you make one character to train a new one. So many cut scenes to shift through...

yeah they spent so much money on something that is important to a fraction of their players and even then is only important the first time through.

You're right. Story really doesn't interest me much. What i want is a living,breathing virtual world shaped by the community

Spore? Minecraft? Those games exist. You should try them. These really aren't the droids you're looking for.

Edited by SnoggyMack

thats your choice though and you could have just ticked the box in the interface options to skip them instead of pressing space bar...but you didn't why? is it because deep down you actually wanted to see them?

just because it doesn't suit you doesn't mean it was the wrong decision.

when i get to end game i will be what you call an end game player, the difference being i will have enjoyed the leveling proccess and won't complain about lack of content when i get there.

VO on the main class quest would have been plenty and left BW about 50 million dollars to put into things like ....oh I don't know....a fully functioning game.

They could have cut the VO by 50% and everyone would have still loved it.

I don't care to read why some no name npc needs 6 computer parts and I most certainly don't want to listen for 5 minutes while she tells me why she needs 6 computer parts.

I'm sorry but if the sidequest dialogue actually keeps you entertained than I might suggest you have no idea what quality story is.

I don't care how you gussy up getting 6 "droid chips" it's still not important to my character or the world at large.

The main story at least has some validity to my character.

I feel like some of you are arguing for Mcdonalds and how great crappy food is.

ME2 or Whitcher 2 are good story games. The Founain head is a good novel. Local milk will be better than factory milk. Organic fruit tends to be sweeter. Quality cheese is worth it. Terminator movies maybe be "entertaining" but they are not in fact "good" Burger King may taste like money after drinking all night but that does not make Burger King "good" food.

I just don't see how anyone can honestly sit through whiny npc's who you'll never see again tell you a long drawn out story about why they need to you run and fetch computer parts or kill 30 ravenous dogs.

I'm a roleplayer and I've never really cared about the PvE story in any game.

I like to build a story for myself, and play that out with others.

The PvE story, if it has any entertainment value, is the same sort of entertainment I'd get from a single player story-based game like New Vegas or Mass Effect. Specifically, it's entertaining to run through one time, and then maybe once again a year later.

It's not something I look for in MMOs that I plan to play for months at a time. Once my character hits 50, what use is story to me? Even if I make alts, 90% of quests are identical with slightly different dialogue. I'm not the type to play Mass Effect twice with a different class / origin story, and I'm not the type to play the MMO leveling game twice either, at least not for story purposes.

no!

why in the hell i have to listen 10 min a guy and press 3 times some buttons to get a quest that tells me to do same things untill lvl 50? lol

go kill 10 of x, colect x, bring x, etc.

Why on earth did you buy a story driven MMO then?????

What Bioware should have done is given us lots of roleplaying tools, and a world designed around character building.

What did they do instead? We didn't even get /roll and we can't sit in chairs. These are BASICS, it's as though they don't understand (or more likely, don't give a **** about) roleplaying at all.

Further evidence: all characters must share a surname. *sigh*

What Bioware should have done is given us lots of roleplaying tools, and a world designed around character building.

The Game you're looking for is Cryptic's Neverwinter Online. Bioware was not shy about advertising exactly what this game's story driven mechanic was going to be like.

Edited by SnoggyMack

For this specific MMO, story is pretty important. Several, if not most players, were hoping for a KotOR III instead of SWTOR. The fact that this game is suppose to answer the questions where the KotOR series left off and not simply be another MMO clone...well...its been disappointing so far...

What did they do instead? We didn't even get /roll and we can't sit in chairs. These are BASICS, it's as though they don't understand (or more likely, don't give a **** about) roleplaying at all.

Further evidence: all characters must share a surname. *sigh*

I disagree that's what Bioware should have done. I'm a roleplayer too, and I find way more fun to roleplay the storyline that had been created by the game, with the cinematic and everything, than slack in a random Cantina, and see two guys making a emo fight about a stupid arguement (and wait 2 min between each sentences given by the other players). Like I've seen million time in World of Warcraft.

I also don't understand all those players complaining about the story. Why are you playing this game then? Really, StarWars story is the main selling point, and you don't like it? But if you wanted a PVE game or a PVP game there is already a lot of very good title on the market, why bother here???

Edited by Elloa

What a brilliant thread. Suddenly, no one realised that this game was story based, because Bioware never mentioned it once over the past three years. :rolleyes:

Complain about the genuine faults, but to come on here moaning about the story....

Seriously, some of you are running out of reasons to complain.

The Game you're looking for is Cryptic's Neverwinter Online. Bioware was not shy about advertising exactly what this game's story driven mechanic was going to be like.

I don't think Bioware ever advertised "no sitting in chairs, no roleplay tools, almost no emotes."

I do however recall them talking about how awesome cantina socializing would be, complete with gambling minigames. Where is all that?

TC I agree with you 100%. Why would a bland voiced over conversation of stiff characters with awkward hand motions all of a sudden make "story" relevant?

I appreciate their attempt, but when they lack severly in the crucial areas that make an mmo memorable and desired by the player, then they need to realize they messed up and do a MUCH better job on their future content.

I'll be unsubbing after the free 30 days, and will come back later when more content is implemented. But if bioware is going to stick to this same bland formula of talk to someone for 5 minutes just to go do a quest that takes the same amount of time, then I won't look back on this game for a split second.

Bioware is not cheap enough of a company to give you bland text to read. This is what they produce, quality.

If you don't like this type of MMO, then who cares? It's just a video game. I can't believe people get so worked up over a video game!

I disagree that's what Bioware should have done. I'm a roleplayer too, and I find way more fun to roleplay the storyline that had been created by the game, with the cinematic and everything, than slack in a random Cantina, and see two guys making a emo fight about a stupid arguement (and wait 2 min between each sentences given by the other players). Like I've seen million time in World of Warcraft.

I also don't understand all those players complaining about the story. Why are you playing this game then? Really, StarWars story is the main selling point, and you don't like it? But if you wanted a PVE game or a PVP game there is already a lot of very good title on the market, why bother here???

Once I hit 50 and complete the story, what is the draw to keep playing?

TC I agree with you 100%. Why would a bland voiced over conversation of stiff characters with awkward hand motions all of a sudden make "story" relevant?

I appreciate their attempt, but when they lack severly in the crucial areas that make an mmo memorable and desired by the player, then they need to realize they messed up and do a MUCH better job on their future content.

I'll be unsubbing after the free 30 days, and will come back later when more content is implemented. But if bioware is going to stick to this same bland formula of talk to someone for 5 minutes just to go do a quest that takes the same amount of time, then I won't look back on this game for a split second.

The voice overs are not bland, the characters are not stiff and the hand motions are not awkward. Anyone whos artsy would see that.

Bioware didn't "mess up". They made the game they wanted to make. A lot of people love it, then there's the minority who don't on these forums.

I praise bioware for trying to achieve something different with SWTOR. This game adds something for people who normally wouldn't play MMO's as there is a story to keep them engaged. For a seasoned MMO player we have a new form of story telling which is fully voiced and adds to the imursion of the game. I am a serious star wars fan and this is a universe which although I have really only just stared playing I believe it has immense possibilities. Bioware will do tweeks and constantly adress issues as that is the type of studio they are. But for the moment I don't think anyone can say that they have not invested several hours into this game. Which I believe is proof enough of its merit will it continue to deliver is yet to be seen but for now well done bioware.