Dungeon Finder Needed Badly.

Obi-Wun

Pros:

3. Proves that BioWare can do something like this. Buys street creds.

what does this even mean? lol you think cause wow did something no one else can code software to do the same thing(or similar). you're just trying to outweigh the pro side(and i agree that we need a lfg system, just not one that teleports us, not one that is cross server, and one that lets us accept/deny who ever applies to the group)

on another note. half of the code is already written into the pvp system, you queue up into that very similar to how wow does for regular groups. it's only a matter of time i think

Edited by FourTwent

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have those because its the only way to reach a warzone so no its not the same

make a pvp-master! come on you lazy people, find others to pvp with! you think LFD is a crutch of some kind but auto pvp not? its the same system with a different purpose.

I hope they NEVER add dungeon finder... it's nice to feel like old MMO's again to have to search for your grp... you young kids got it to damn easy in games now, what the hell makes MMO's so damn fun when you face roll everything?

you better not auto queue for pvp then.

I hope they NEVER add dungeon finder... it's nice to feel like old MMO's again to have to search for your grp... you young kids got it to damn easy in games now, what the hell makes MMO's so damn fun when you face roll everything?

Taking an hour to scrape together a group isn't challenging, it's just a waste of my damn time.

Well, luckily, since the community I spoke of is generally created and controlled by adults (being 28, I found myself on the young end of the stick in most community events on my old server), you don't get blackballed by "the cool kids', because they're not "cool kids" they're people between the age of 25 and 50.

30 is not old in the MMO genre, it's quite average.

At 28, I am the 3rd youngest member of my guild.

I'm not exaggerating, 37 is the average gamer age in 2011. Sure, this accounts for facebooks games and the like, but MMOs have always had a WAY older audience than other genres as those of us who started with UO when were were 15 are now approaching 30, and those who started with MUDS before that are sometimes approaching 40.

Gaming isn't a young person's hobby anymore. We all got old and we just kept gaming.

Except, you're still ignoring the main thrust of my point.

There is always a "cool kids" crowd -- be they the top raiders, the most social, or the well known roleplayers. They're there on every server in Rift, WoW, and every other MMO. They'll be here too. Hell, there are blogs and websites devoted to laughing at the RSPs of WoW players across the span of the roleplay servers there. It happens, it exists. The movers and shakers of a server aren't all bad, but it only takes a chance crossing to really ruin someone's reputation on that server.

And SWTOR won't be any different. Look at how folks treat one another on these forums. I have no desire to group with most of them, do you? Further, and this is the kicker, my WoW server is in better shape since this game came out. We lost a not insignificant portion of our movers and shakers, and the server has seemingly relaxed a bit.

I'm guessing you are:

A Vanguard/Powertech

A Guardian/Juggy

or

A Sage/Sorcerer.

I'm a tank, but i usually have to fight for a flashpoint my guild's not running, since i'm not seen as "a tank" until i prove it. (Shadow) If my guess is incorrect, i shall retract my argument here.

you right im, a sage dps specced, so not really something unique

still your point is invalid.

guess what, i do my pve and pvp dailys with a shadow tank, which i met at ilum.

he asked me for help with his story quest, i agreed and since then we do those quests everyday at the same time.

guess you just need to make friends instead of beiing the lonely wolf.

I really don't get why people want a lff/lfd tool in any MMO.

I've had the best groups in MMOs when they had manual grouping. Be that WAR, LotRO, WoW or Lineage.

Heck, I had restarted my WoW days in 2010 on a new server, and "thanks" to the LFD tool I didn't manage to get to know one single soul on my own freaking server. Sure, I got into dungeons just fine. But once in them, it was mostly a disappointing experience (read: The greater F'wad Theory, as coined by Gabe of PA). And thusly, I reached 85, not knowing a single soul let alone guild. I'm one of those people who join guilds for the people in them, not for the perks. So I was left at 85 alone in an MMO. I quit shortly thereafter.

And now I'm playing TOR. If i want to group up, I ask in General chat. Two minutes later, I'm grouped.

If I want to visit a FP, I travel to the Fleet, monitor the chat for a bit if someone is looking for someone who fits my profile. If nobody does, I ask around ("A sleep-deprived healer is looking for a group to travel to Athiss. I'll bring my own lightsaber and heal any bruise you might suffer while I swing it wildly. Any takers?"

... And one minute later, I'll be off, healing my comrades while we free Athiss from any lootable mobs. And we will be laughing and chatting, we'll develop strategies for bosses if we can't beat them, we'll be adding each other to friend lists, and having a blast.

Perhaps it's just me. But this is a experience I have never had when using a LFD tool.

Edited by Muesliac

And now I'm playing TOR. If i want to group up, I ask in General chat. Two minutes later, I'm grouped.

It's nice that you're lucky, but unfortunately this isn't the case for many people.

I recently spent an hour and a half trying to scrape together a Hammer Station group.

Whatever the underlying issue is - server population, the lack of an LFG tool, whatever - it needs to be fixed.

make a pvp-master! come on you lazy people, find others to pvp with! you think LFD is a crutch of some kind but auto pvp not? its the same system with a different purpose.

thats funny since i don't run warzones outside of the dailys weekly count.

most of the time i pvp on ilum just saying

Good day, sir!

Why, good day to you.

Lovely weather we're having.

Yes, I quite agree.

I was wondering if perhaps you would like to run a flashpoint with me?

Sir! I am offended. We must SOCIALIZE first or we risk DESTROYING our great server community.

My sincerest apologies. What have you had for lunch today?

Tea and a lunchable. Delectable.

My mouth waters!

Yes indeed.

Well, I do believe we have socialized enough.

I suppose so! Has our group filled up yet?

I am aghast. It has not. Somehow our idle conversation has not automatically filled our group.

It does seem that way. Looks like we're out of options.

Indubitably. We return to the old standby!

LF2M FOR HAMMER STATION NEED HEALER

My deepest apologies, but we have been searching for twenty minutes. I must go and water my considerably garden. Good day!

LF3M FOR HAMMER STATION NEED HEALER

Exactly rofl

As a game designer if you make a feature you're really proud of, flashpoints and group dialogue in this case, why wouldn't you do everything in your power to get as many people to experience it as possible?

People are too caught up thinking a LFD system is some kind of zero-sum game where by having it you lose a community. Here's news for you, WoW has LFD and a community!

Edit: Linked wrong article, now have proper one

http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/12/08/the-broken-doll-roleplaying-storyline-chills-hundreds-on-moon-gu/

Look a wow player did a community inspired event, a group of people on one server interacted with eachother even though they have a LFD system, can you believe that!?

If anything not having an outlet or server based forums outside of the game is hurting the community much more than any inclusion of a group finder will.

Edited by HoneyBoy

Dungeon finding tool does not eliminate the sense of community.

You are telling me saying "LFM" in general chat for 2 hours is HELPING the community? Get a grip.

When you join the group using the LFG Tool socialize all you want. Your chat is not disabled.

I am all for adding the tool, who wants to waste their time?

Except, you're still ignoring the main thrust of my point.

There is always a "cool kids" crowd -- be they the top raiders, the most social, or the well known roleplayers. They're there on every server in Rift, WoW, and every other MMO. They'll be here too. Hell, there are blogs and websites devoted to laughing at the RSPs of WoW players across the span of the roleplay servers there. It happens, it exists. The movers and shakers of a server aren't all bad, but it only takes a chance crossing to really ruin someone's reputation on that server.

And SWTOR won't be any different. Look at how folks treat one another on these forums. I have no desire to group with most of them, do you? Further, and this is the kicker, my WoW server is in better shape since this game came out. We lost a not insignificant portion of our movers and shakers, and the server has seemingly relaxed a bit.

I'm not ignoring your point, I'm saying it's invalid.

The 'cool kids' as you say, when adults, aren't going to blacklist you for a dumb reason. They may talk **** about you behind your back, but boo hoo.

You're not going to get blacklisted from dungeoning just because you're not the most social person.

We had people cross influential people all the time, but if the situation was just a disagreement or even an argument, you didn't get blacklisted from dungeoning.

You got blacklisted when you did something worthy of being blacklisted for.

If some drama queen tried to blacklist you for some stupid reason, THEY'D likely be the one who ends up ostracised.

In the 4 years I played on Shadow Council, no one got blacklisted that didn't desperately deserve it. Not one person, and I am one of the people who pissed off the most people. I had people TRYING to blacklist me from the community for YEARS because I have a habbit of making people upset. BUT, since I NEVER did anything worthy of actual blacklisting, people didn't pay attention to the drama queens trying to blacklist me.

I mean, ****, if you go find old Shadow Council players and say the name "Fleshgrinder" most of them are going to tell you I'm the second coming of Hitler, yet I still never got blacklisted because I didn't do anything wrong, I just pushed some people's buttons well.

You're creating some kind of hyper-realized situation where people blacklist each other for the smallest social taboo. It doesn't happen that way.

do you manually group for pvp?

Depends. I don't pvp in TOR. I've pvp'd in WAR, and, yes, since I didn't do the instanced part, I would manually group up.

Why? Because this way I could skip the roulette of getting people I'm not comfortable with.

Depends. I don't pvp in TOR. I've pvp'd in WAR, and, yes, since I didn't do the instanced part, I would manually group up.

Why? Because this way I could skip the roulette of getting people I'm not comfortable with.

And you can continue to manually form groups in WoW even though there's a dungeon finder. Win/Win for everyone!

Good day, sir!

Why, good day to you.

Yes, I quite agree.

Sir! I am offended. We must SOCIALIZE first or we risk DESTROYING our great server community.

My mouth waters!

Yes indeed.

I am aghast. It has not. Somehow our idle conversation has not automatically filled our group.

My deepest apologies, but we have been searching for twenty minutes. I must go and water my considerable garden. My begonias are looking dreadful. Good day!

so because you have problems to talk to people in a game, we all must have que buttons for everything.

just think of real life.

if you see a women you like you don't sit in a corner looking down on the floor, waiting until she comes over to you and ask if you both may have a drink with together.

if you want to group up with her you have to talk and socialize with her, just saying

Edited by Sheneria

thats funny since i don't run warzones outside of the dailys weekly count.

most of the time i pvp on ilum just saying

Yes people do world pvp, just like guilds do not pug raids or flashpoints. Even with a tool this is still possible. I dont see auto queue pvp killing the community, why would LFD do so. Oh, oh , and you know what? it teleports you to the warzone! cheating!

you right im, a sage dps specced, so not really something unique

still your point is invalid.

guess what, i do my pve and pvp dailys with a shadow tank, which i met at ilum.

he asked me for help with his story quest, i agreed and since then we do those quests everyday at the same time.

guess you just need to make friends instead of beiing the lonely wolf.

I only have trouble with flashpoints when my friends *aren't* on. try reading the post next time.

No, my argument isn't invalid. Yes, you are a dps, however.... People whispering you assume you are a healer.

You can bluster all you want, but deep down, we both know they're asking you to join to heal.

Edited by artilleryshell

so because you have problems to talk to people in a game, we all must have que buttons for everything.

just think of real life.

if you see a women you like you don't sit in a corner looking down on the floor, waiting until she comes over to you and ask if you both may have a drink with together.

if you want to group up with her you have to talk and socialize with her, just saying

I'm sure he doesn't have problems talking to people in game. In fact reading his posts you can see he's an effective communicator. I'm certain what he does have problems with are tedious waiting times to enjoy content he will soon be paying monthly for.

Good day, sir!

Why, good day to you.

Yes, I quite agree.

My mouth waters!

Yes indeed.

My deepest apologies, but we have been searching for twenty minutes. I must go and water my considerable garden. My begonias are looking dreadful. Good day!

Get over yourself.

Usually (last night even) I would see LFM HAMMER STATION NEED HEALER. I would send a tell as dps, get my invite. Looked in my guild saw a few people questing, a couple were healers. Asked if anyone wanted to heal hammer. Got the group going and had a blast. It's not that hard if you put a little work into it. Like many things, you will get out of it what you put into it.

Your facetious imaginary situation, was a trite attempt at humor and in no way represents the experiences I have had with this game.