Dungeon Finder Needed Badly.

Obi-Wun

No they don't. Stop that.

Why don't people actually TRY. Finding groups was done quite well for YEARS without the insta tool; a couple of games (yes a couple of games) put them in place and suddenly it is OMG we can't live without it.

These tools are destroying very basic skills and brainwashing people into thinking things are impossible without them.

Change is scary, isnt it? No it has not worked "quite well" for years, its always been a major pain to find groups especially on low population servers.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Cross server queues are needed for instanced PvP, both for population balance and to prevent players queue for too long either.

- Automated LFG for PvE hinders players socialization

- A DDO like or even better LFG tool would help a lot!

Some simple tweakings:

1. Promote grouping: allower players to parse a message when sending an invite
  2. Help advertising grouping: Let players parse quests links in chat

#1 Promote grouping

For now you, 1st have to send a tell to the player, then send the invite ; as sending a group invite without a tell can be seen as rude. Might look like a trivial stuff but the above proposal will smoothen out grouping.

*Draft:

/invite [player name] [optional message]

Right click on a player / choose invite or invite with a message. If #2 then input box popup.

#2 Advertise grouping

But for more harcore MMO players things like LFM BT does not rings a bell at all! Too many players are clueless of:

• The name of the quest

• The level bracket

• The zone location

• If they have it or can do it

So another quick win would be to allow players to parse quests links in chat displaying:

[quest level] [quest name] [planet name]

Clicking on the link in the chat panel would:

• Open the quests details

• Mark if the player is eligible

• Inform if the player has it

• Allow the player to hit a button to request grouping with the advertiser

• Pops up a role selection widow with an optional /tell input box

Edited by Deewe

You can already do all of that by flagging yourself as LFG and then changing your comment, specifying which flashpoint you want. Also, speaking in General chat on the planet you are leveling on has been a great way for me to find groups for a flashpoint at the level I was at.

What you really want, I think, is something that will automatically put you in a group. I don't feel we need it, and I don't ever want to see it. If it's too much effort for someone to join a group and not have it done for you, they shouldn't even be playing a game. Try Facebook or some browser game for that.

Nobody uses the /who system of flagging, and talking about its use on the forums is not going to get the vast majority of the population to use it. It is not going to happen, it will never be used by the vast majority. The absolute fact is that it will always be hard for people to find groups till they create a passive system.

I am not going to spend who knows how long in Fleet spamming chat with LFG or LFM, I would rather be out questing. Also, when I am questing I do not look at the chat channels very often, I am to busy concentrating on the battles I am taking part in, I'll take a glance every once in a while, but I will miss most of what people are saying.

A Passive system is the absolute best way to get people to group up with each other, and it increases the fun. Only when the system is a cross server system can it have a negative effect on the community, but it will absolutely not have any negative effects on the community of it is a server side only. Getting more people to group up with each while increasing their fun is the best way to create a community. Right now, the current system is not helping the community at all, only a passive system like a server side LFG finder can help create a better community.

Even the simplest solution would be FINE - which is:

create a global LookingForGroup channel - present on every planet - not only can you see all the LFG spam if you wish but also you can even play alts and still be able to check out people creating flashpoint groups

Even the simplest solution would be FINE - which is:

create a global LookingForGroup channel - present on every planet - not only can you see all the LFG spam if you wish but also you can even play alts and still be able to check out people creating flashpoint groups

Sadly it's not enough.

Among other issues the way the chat panel is mostly stuck at the top of the screen makes it less looked at by players.

Might sound silly but from my experience and from the feedback of my MMO friends many of us do miss what's happening in the chat.

For example if you leave it open at the default top screen position it will ruin your immersion factor during cutscenes. Now & don't ask me why (maybe it's because it's less in our face or we are used to it that way) if you put the chat window at the bottom of the screen it hinders way less the immersion factor.

As with every MMO they need a custom LFG tool allowing players not only to LFG for all the quest they want to but also let players browse a list of who's LFG for specific quests.

Hell, if an lfd is needed in game, then something is obviously missing in the game. Why implement an instant teleport cross-server tool? People can't find other people to group with?

That's all fine with me, but my question is, why even create these massive intricate worlds if everyone is gonna sit around the fleet and push a button? Seriously, why?

They could've made Star Wars:Flash Points or something if they were gonna go that route, especially with the new crafting system.

Just seems all for not to me. I mean can't you already just warp to flashpoints from the fleet? Am I missing something?

Originally Posted by borghe

LFR?

Faceroll easy? Yup.

Guild or regulars rolling on gear they don't need? Yup.

Rolling on the SAME GEAR TWICE after they WON THE FIRST TIME? Yup.

People just being all around asses? Yup.

Zero accountability? Yup.

If you're looking to group up with faceless NPCs to go through faceroll easy content all so you can ninja pieces you probably don't need, then yes, LFR is the perfect tool for you.

and this is coming from someone still actively raiding in WoW.

LFR is crap through and through. Genuine crap. Even Blizz admits to this, and then openly admits that "getting it out" was more important than "getting it out right". It was a planned 5.0 feature, which is why ONLY Dragon Soul content is available in it and that content is shamefully easy (I like the person insisting you need to spend JPs to be ready. twice through the end time heroics should be enough to get any 85 in through the iLevel check. as for being "Geared" enough... DPS and healing requirements to LFR are minimal at best. as long as you are pressing keys you'll beat the boss)

I just finished subbing in WoW for one year. This after quitting the game shortly after Black Wing Lair went live, so quitting BEFORE the LFD tool.

During the last year I leveled three characters to max, and two more to mid range. During that time I actively used the LFD tool. So you do the math on just how many dungeons I ran during that time. If you're an active player then you definitely know it's a big big number. I saw one player "ninja loot" a piece of gear they couldn't use, NEVER saw anyone rolling on the same gear twice after they won the first time, and never saw any depreciation in the difficulty level of regular 5 mans and raids. What I did see was a lot more players that knew how to play the game than what I saw when the game was first released, so groups tended to be better than what they used to be. I'm afraid I'm calling you out as laying down a complete load of horsepucky.

Now compare that to SWTOR, where just in the short time since release I've seen an argument in just about every flashpoint and heroic I've been in about how someone is playing, or what loot they rolled on. Not to mention that every single run, except for the arguing, it's all been done in silence. No one talks or says boo. Asked one person in a whisper once why everyone was so quite. The response sure made me chuckle. "I dunno, I just don't want to say anything and accidentally p*** anyone off cause it took me so long to finally get a group."

Originally Posted by Vincire

If Bioware is unable to provide methods for the average player to conveniently form groups to experience the content, as the newness of swtor fades so will subscriptions

Probably the most accurate and succinct statement made on these forums for a long time.:cool:

People can't find other people to group with?

For many it usually takes very inordinate amounts of time to find people to group with for Heroics and Flashpoints. As in a hour+ amounts sometimes. There's simply no good reason to make players go through that. It's not helping community in any way shape or form, and if some company person thinks it's a good way to slow leveling, then, really, someone has got to fire that person really really quickly.

I could care less about whether it's insta port or not. I can easily hop on my speeder and get to where the heroic starts, or hop a taxi to where the fleet transport is that will take me to the Flashpoint entrance.

Dungeon finder propaganda is one of the stranger thing I've seen in MMO communities. There is this vocal minority that wants to ruin casual players' time by forcing them to spam a general chat to find groups rather than log on and run a dungeon or two near instantly. The weird part is, most of these forumites have established guilds and would never go near the dungeon finder anyway. It's like the 1% arguing against raising minimum wage for people living below the poverty line. Edited by CaptainInsano

Hell, if an lfd is needed in game, then something is obviously missing in the game. Why implement an instant teleport cross-server tool? People can't find other people to group with?

That's all fine with me, but my question is, why even create these massive intricate worlds if everyone is gonna sit around the fleet and push a button? Seriously, why?

They could've made Star Wars:Flash Points or something if they were gonna go that route, especially with the new crafting system.

Just seems all for not to me. I mean can't you already just warp to flashpoints from the fleet? Am I missing something?

You're missing the fact that a LFG or LFD tool does not need to include teleportation.

Dungeon finder tools are for the lazy and it puts a bunch of these lazys in groups together to bicker and complain the entire time. A LFG tool would be welcomed as a simple flag doesn't always get noticed in the /who box all the time even when you try and filter it.

Making a channel global means ppl will use it for anything and everything, and thus make it unusable.

Why implement an instant teleport cross-server tool? People can't find other people to group with?

You need neither for a LFD tool. Only the matchmaking part is what most ppl care about I imagine.

if you want this go play wow, its amazing how many people ask for the same exact feature that is implemented in that game, and its quite sad. Same goes for addons, there is more then one way to go about doing something.

If they can come up with something better, I'm all for it. What we currently have, and what most ppl against LFD seem to suggest is not better. Doing something different for the sake of making it different is bad, to say the least.

I have read about half the post in this and other threads. Those that are in favor of a LFD tool want a tool that will queu them up for the specific op and flashpoint and transport them there. As it is easier to just hit a button and not worry about it. Honestly it will not kill you to wait 5 mins for a person to fly from a planet to the fleet to start the flashpoint or op. So quit being impatient and learn to relax.

The current tool with a few tweaks will be more than enough for us to find groups for quests, flashpoints, or even ops.

To be honest I miss the original LFG that the other MMO had. It was quit simple you flagged yourself for what you were looking for and left it at that. Other people could see what you were wanting to do and you could see what they wanted to do. A simple tell saying Hi see you want to do so and so want to group up? Then hey Bob's your uncle you are in a group and everything is hunky dory. Now that is what I want to see. Not this let me hit a button and then be transported to the flashpoint, zerg it and be done. Rinse repeat and do it again. that is boring to me and I do not want that in this game.

Either way he devs will look at the options and if need be create something that might appease all of us. Until that day comes use the tools that are available to you. Open your social window flag yourself as LFG and look for other players that are trying to do the same things that you are doing. If it takes you an hour then that is what it takes. If you want instant gratification then play a single player console game or play TF2, BF3, MW3, or some other fps game.

I have read about half the post in this and other threads. Those that are in favor of a LFD tool want a tool that will queu them up for the specific op and flashpoint and transport them there. As it is easier to just hit a button and not worry about it. Honestly it will not kill you to wait 5 mins for a person to fly from a planet to the fleet to start the flashpoint or op. So quit being impatient and learn to relax.

The current tool with a few tweaks will be more than enough for us to find groups for quests, flashpoints, or even ops.

To be honest I miss the original LFG that the other MMO had. It was quit simple you flagged yourself for what you were looking for and left it at that. Other people could see what you were wanting to do and you could see what they wanted to do. A simple tell saying Hi see you want to do so and so want to group up? Then hey Bob's your uncle you are in a group and everything is hunky dory. Now that is what I want to see. Not this let me hit a button and then be transported to the flashpoint, zerg it and be done. Rinse repeat and do it again. that is boring to me and I do not want that in this game.

Either way he devs will look at the options and if need be create something that might appease all of us. Until that day comes use the tools that are available to you. Open your social window flag yourself as LFG and look for other players that are trying to do the same things that you are doing. If it takes you an hour then that is what it takes. If you want instant gratification then play a single player console game or play TF2, BF3, MW3, or some other fps game.

You are wrong. Some people don't have an hour to waste hoping a group comes together to do what they need to get done. There is no harm in having a Dungeon Finder type of tool. It does not hurt or hinder the community in any way. Trolls will be trolls, fails will be fails, ninjas will be ninjas... regardless of how they got in the group. There really is no valid argument AGAINST having a dungeon finder tool, at all. There is no valid argument for making something that could be quick and painless, be a long and annoying process.

You are wrong. Some people don't have an hour to waste hoping a group comes together to do what they need to get done. There is no harm in having a Dungeon Finder type of tool. It does not hurt or hinder the community in any way. Trolls will be trolls, fails will be fails, ninjas will be ninjas... regardless of how they got in the group. There really is no valid argument AGAINST having a dungeon finder tool, at all. There is no valid argument for making something that could be quick and painless, be a long and annoying process.

If you're talking leveling who really cares? I did FP's on occasion but the main story is so much better. This isn't WOW where you keep queueing for dungeons to level. The FP's aren't even tied to the main or side stories in any way.

Now at end game I just do FP's with my Guild. If we need a slot we ask in General and get a whisper in like 5 minutes. Again this isn't WOW where doing FP's are a job to get done on a daily basis.

If you're talking leveling who really cares? I did FP's on occasion but the main story is so much better. This isn't WOW where you keep queueing for dungeons to level. The FP's aren't even tied to the main or side stories in any way.

Now at end game I just do FP's with my Guild. If we need a slot we ask in General and get a whisper in like 5 minutes. Again this isn't WOW where doing FP's are a job to get done on a daily basis.

This isn't WOW? Really? Because you could have fooled me with the amount of jerks found here, I thought when I left WOW I would be done with people who think their way of playing is the only and most proper way and anyone else's preference is irrelevant. Just because you CAN find a group without dungeon finder, doesn't mean it's the most efficient way to do it.

Please read my post carefully again. I never once said that I was against a LFG or even a LFD tool. I was against one that would automatically join you to a group and transport you to the FP or Op.

Now there are days where I can play for hours on end and then there are days where I can only play for one if that. Would I like to be able to run a FP every time I log in. Sure it would be great and fun. But I realize that every time I play I might not get to do everything that I want to in the game. Just means that I will wait to see if I can do the FP or Ops at another time.

This is a game and not a job. I don't wnat to log in and think to myself ok I have x amount of time and I need to get x, y, and z done or I fail. If you or others think this when logging in I think that you might need to find another hobby.

No no and no.

This is NOT WoW. Obviously the folks asking for a dungeon finder have absolutely no idea what WoW was before the dungeon finder was implemented.

In vanilla, you relied on your friends and the folks that are also spamming LFG for a place. This is why guilds were created.

Everquest NEVER had dungeons until way later in expacs and even then, Sony didn't have a dungeon finder. You went with your friends and guild.

Get over it. No dungeon finder in this game. Ever. Use your resources that have been given to you.

Played WoW for a fair amount of time before LFD was implemented ( 9 months or so ). I do remember how it was, except I remember it being exactly the opposite of what you're saying. No one ran low level dungeons, and the only dungeon you could find a group for very fast was the daily heroic.

Running with friends and your guild is better anyway, and I don't see how LFD affects this in any way, or how this could be an argument against it.

Edited by LasherC

No no and no.

This is NOT WoW. Obviously the folks asking for a dungeon finder have absolutely no idea what WoW was before the dungeon finder was implemented.

In vanilla, you relied on your friends and the folks that are also spamming LFG for a place. This is why guilds were created.

Everquest NEVER had dungeons until way later in expacs and even then, Sony didn't have a dungeon finder. You went with your friends and guild.

Get over it. No dungeon finder in this game. Ever. Use your resources that have been given to you.

News flash for you WOW is not the only game with a dungeon finder tool!

Matter of fact finder tools are now common place in the mmo market!