The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Mass Empire Republic imbalance

iifetap

What do you want done exactly? Force people to play the faction they don't want to? There's many things that BW can control, but what side people chose to play on is the one thing they have absolutely zero power over.

That said... seriously, complaining about mass imbalance a week before the game's even out?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the population changes from time to time. When DCUO first came out, one of the most popular PvP server was Villain-dominated. Within months, the pattern reversed.

Warhammer has similar pattern too. Some weeks, it feels like there are more on one side than the other; the next, a total reverse.

Now that, this game is still new. People are playing their first characters, which tend to be those look and sound better or cooler. With time when they have more alts, the population on each sides will even out a bit. Remember both sides have their respective mirror classes. There is no gameplay advantage of staying in one side.

Also, this game has a Dark/Light meter mechanic builds into it. After a while, people will venture to the other side just to corrupt/reform the character over there for the fun of it. I think the Dark/Light meter thing is indeed quite clever, shuffling people around between the two sides, without hardlocking their mindset into good or evil.

Besides, in most games, the populations will stablised after 3 to 6 months. Now it is still a bit too early to say which side has more. After a while, the population should be quite dynamic.

Edited by The_Old_One

Empire was the vast minority in SWG, i guess it is how the game is marketed. Who wants to be a dirt thrower when you could have awesome lightning?

^^ This.

Also on the Imp side the class stories tend to be about you being awesome (getting in your bosses face, showing up your rivals and basically being a winner). I think only the Republic smugger gets anything like that, the other Rep. classes are about doing your duty, serving the greater good and so on.

(I'm talking early content 1-15 ish, no idea past that)

In my experience, the early gamers tend to start out with the "evil" side and are more interested in the game as a mmo. I would not be surprised if it got a little more even when the official launch date hits and you have more SW fans logging in looking for a SW game playing the good hero rather than looking for a solid mmo. Edited by BigLuvins

This has been a trend in faction based mmos for awhile now. It was brought about by the perception created by WoW. That being that the so called "bad guys" are always underpopulated, but generally populated by better players.

Now too many nubs want to look like they're "leet PvPers" that "play the underdog", and the balance has shifted.

The key thing is for BW to stay the course and not make any knee jerk changes to the game to balance the factions. Like in DAoC, things will work themselves out. Either enough people will re-roll the underpopulated faction, or the players of the underpopulated faction will step up their game to the point where the imbalance doesn't matter, or a mixture of both.

simple math

kids and ppl with lady parts tend to flock to the good side

well adults and ppl that are borderline sociopaths tend to flock to the bad side

I figured this, but I'm going to be a sociopath republic, will make up for not playing empire, had planned on playing empire first but since there are so many sociopaths going empire, I'll be going republic for a good challenge. And I need to see more of my knights story line as DS it was getting very good.

That's what you get when all your CGI teasers and trailers shows Sith warriors completely man handling jedis.

I mean, the only one where republic does mildly well, a jedi and a trooper had to tag along, both almost got killed, and in the end did'nt even manage to get the job done.

That's what you get when all your CGI teasers and trailers shows Sith warriors completely man handling jedis.

I mean, the only one where republic does mildly well, a jedi and a trooper had to tag along, both almost got killed, and in the end did'nt even manage to get the job done.

thats because in star wars it has always been Jedi's getting manhandled. Bearly making it through in the end.

Rebels, because they are the underdog, expected to be crushed by the imperials, but are not as easily taken down completely.

This is to be expected.

Every poll for the last 2 years has shown there are more people who will play Empire waiting to play the game. These people are the most likely people to have preordered within the first one or two months. The staggering ensures that the first of the early access servers will be filled with these people. Experience from past MMOs indicates that many of the people who begin play on the 20th will roll Republic.

The end result being early access and official launch servers will have huge population imbalances. It may be my new found dislike of BioWare speaking but I hope this causes the populations of PvP servers suffering from this to dwindle.

Yea. That was actually rather imbalanced in their marketing. They should do one with a better imagine of the Jedi, or in fact, all the Republic classes as a whole.

By the way, even if the Jedi and Trooper did mildly well, they could not even kill the Sith... (no he did not die under the rocks)