What is the Appeal of the Empire?

viettrinh

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my amateur psychologist guess at the matter:

10-~15: More likely to pick the "good" side in a game, every kid wants to be the hero.

~16-~24: That's when people hit a rebelious phase, and want to go against the grain. They also want to be "******" or the "bad boy".

~25+: People have now mostly outgrown the last phase and will pick based on other things; lore, abilities, story...etc.

For me, it's the fact that most of StarWars I know is centred around some Republic hero.

The Empire is only there to provide a bad guy, and it's rarely elaborated what the "inner workings" of the Empire are. How does it function? What is life under the Emperor like?

And now I can experience that part. That's why my first 50 is Empire-sides.

Look at it this way:

If you had the force, what would you do? Would you really follow some kind of sterile dogmatic code? Would you lead a monkish lifestyle, free of all corruption and attachments? I mean, is that *really* realistic?

Think about how often you, on a given, random day, for perhaps a moment just toy with hurting someone. Like, say you're out driving, and some guy cuts you off and then flips you the bird. If you were given the ability to hurt or kill him without any consequences (moral, religious, legal or otherwise), can you honestly say you'd be able to restrain yourself? He's just some random slob, and you can obliterate him with your mind.

The darkside is the force. The Jedi just have it wrong. Peace is a lie. That's the appeal of the Empire.

" really realistic " Yes, it is really realistic that some people are not corrupted by the dark.

The idea that Jedi are monks is crap. Monks are reclusive and take little to no part in state, golbal or intergalactic issues. Jedi are very different from monks.

As to how often on any given day I think about hurting other people. You worry me, people like you worry me. And the only thing i'm thinking about right now is hurting you so you don't hurt any more people.

Edited by Qishari
Political content - no further action due to the age of the post

10-~15: More likely to pick the "good" side in a game, every kid wants to be the hero.

~16-~24: That's when people hit a rebelious phase, and want to go against the grain. They also want to be "******" or the "bad boy".

~25+: People have now mostly outgrown the last phase and will pick based on other things; lore, abilities, story...etc.

Nah..

10-15 pick who they really are as a person.

16-34 pick who they wish or want to be seen as by others

34+ pick who they really are as a person.

Several things.

The movies and most of the games from SW have focused on the light side. So a chance to see things from the other side of the fence is always interesting.

The mystery of who the Emperor is.

Sith force users have much larger personality variance. A Sith can easily be Gray or Good so long as they have the power to hold their position. It is power and it's use that matter more to the Sith than personal Ethics. Where as Jedi are far more black and white, so the appeal of not being so rigid is there.

The question of what motivates the non-force users to follow the empire. No matter how powerful the Sith Lords are they could not hold unto power if they could not maintain their peoples loyalty, fear only goes so far.

Have you played the IA storyline it is 10 tons of awesome.

EVIL IS COOL lol but anyways i picked sith first because i wanted to be a bounty hunter i rerolled Jedi knight and i love how u guys say o u gotta be sooo nice! im an evil jedi knight it's actually alot of satisfying being an evil jedi/light sith than being light jedi/dark sith

Your psychologist guess is terrible, maybe it's just me but a person is themselves.. i for when when watching the movies never wanted to be a jedi at that age, i wanted to be a sith.

It's not about being younger or whatever.

It's about PvP prowess. The 'bad side' always attracted the better PvPers.

Another quote yes, but hey.

Dude, a true hardcore PvPer would choose the underdog, the side with the least amount of support, the least amount of resources, and little to no hope of victory. Bad wins cause they have more numbers.

Anytime you want a lesson in this, feel free to approach me or my guild.

Because the Empire was the legitimate seat of power and command in the galaxy. The star wars movies gave away the version of the rebels, or Terrorists, using suicide bombers, kamikaze pilot's, and terrorism to destroy order and seat of power.

It was first when the Star wars books gave away the version of the empire who united the galaxy where the republic could not, and also fighting terrorists and sabotage.

When the first death star was destroyed, Luke murdered tens of millions of civilians, families, military staff, zoo animals you name it, when he destroyed the death star.

I for once like playing with the empire because they are legit and the real ruling power in the galaxy.

I don't personally like the Empire per-say as I do love the Sith culture. It's all about the Sith lore for me. I tried out the Republic and honestly one of the reasons I deleted my Jedi Knight was the way he held his lightsaber. Looks like hes playing baseball.

This.

Anyway. I wanted to roll sith. I imagine the storyline would fit my dgaf-Shadow better. Buut, in the end, I felt that the majority of players on sith would be a collection of arrogant little boys playing a Sith Juggernaut. I play a fallen Jedi Shadow however.

Look at it this way:

If you had the force, what would you do? Would you really follow some kind of sterile dogmatic code? Would you lead a monkish lifestyle, free of all corruption and attachments? I mean, is that *really* realistic?

Think about how often you, on a given, random day, for perhaps a moment just toy with hurting someone. Like, say you're out driving, and some guy cuts you off and then flips you the bird. If you were given the ability to hurt or kill him without any consequences (moral, religious, legal or otherwise), can you honestly say you'd be able to restrain yourself? He's just some random slob, and you can obliterate him with your mind.

The darkside is the force. The Jedi just have it wrong. Peace is a lie. That's the appeal of the Empire.

Well said.

Edited by Qishari
quoted removed content

When the first death star was destroyed, Luke murdered tens of millions of civilians, families, military staff, zoo animals you name it, when he destroyed the death star.

One elephant survived, though. Somehow, he adapted to the harshness of space, and became SUPER DUMBO, and he saved the Ewoks and the Gungans from the clutches of nerdrage.

Look at it this way:

You need a cookie. Plus i find sith lore and dark side lore a lot more interesting plus I am sick of playing republic heroes in star wars games in general.

Edited by Qishari
quoted removed content

Every day I get home after re-watching twilight saga, grab a beer and turn on justin bieber music, I play sith because it's so dark and misterious just like me IRL or like twilight characters it's so deep

You realize this makes you -- at best -- only half a fan, right? True lovers of Star Wars enjoy the complexities of both factions. I may not believe the Jedi are right, but I don't openly mock them, either. I was -- and remain -- torn between the factions because I deeply love all of Star Wars. Taunting either side for being weak or emo is just silliness.

You realize this makes you -- at best -- only half a fan, right? True lovers of Star Wars enjoy the complexities of both factions. I may not believe the Jedi are right, but I don't openly mock them, either. I was -- and remain -- torn between the factions because I deeply love all of Star Wars. Taunting either side for being weak or emo is just silliness.

I can see his point though. I mean, Anakin Skywalker absolutely ruined the dark side for me.

So, maybe it's just me, but a general pattern I've seen is that people tend to favor the Empire over the Republic. On my own server, I would estimate that Imps outnumber Pubs about 1.8 to 1.

Kiddies like to play evil. :p

Edited by Apax

All my high levels are Empire related like my 25 BH. So far the stories appears to be the most engaging Empire side, but I only have played a Trooper to the end of the starting planet (though I did like the little twist at the end).

Also, being bad never felt so good.

Edited by SITHitUP