Players BANNED for going to Ilum? Suggestions to Customer Service

Blackk

Well this has made the mainstream gaming press now.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/01/swtor-ban-for-high-level-looting-unlikely/

The suggestion there, no doubt by someone in this actual thread, is that he was exploiting the lack of high level players to flip control back and forth, thus resetting all the nodes each time, which is somewhat exploity.

With the lack of details provided, we simply cannot make a firm declaration about the fairness of the ban.

Norton blocked a malicious attack from the site you linked. I'd advise anyone against going there.

Flame Norton, call the site safe, whatever. Just passing the info along.

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this for real? I went illum today to just explore. What's wrong with that I think it's stupid to limit planets based on level. I thought this was a MMO, Not everyone tries to cheat at everything.

So you went to Ilum today, explored and nothing happened. Eh.. ok, what's your complaint about then?

Norton blocked a malicious attack from the site you linked. I'd advise anyone against going there.

Its rockpapershotgun, a very highly rated gaming news site. Norton has been known to flag everything and is a horribly made anti-virus software. Get a real one that actually works and doesn't take up 50% of your resources.

My dad's norton hates this website and it even goes crazy on our bank's web utilities.

Edited by Unaki

Could've been an ad on the site, but generally the site is safe. It's a well-known gaming press site that I actually frequent myself. No worries.

Well I only walked around the immediate area, I would hate to log back in and continue to explore the planet and get banned for it, thats all. I was bored since pvp is pointless unless your 50 and the story line on Nar shaddaa is kinda dry at the moment.

I apologize that I cannot offer citation. Providing information on players personal accounts and account issues will result in closure of the topic. I have specifically posted this without any specific players account information or the particular events of their banning to prevent it from being closed and to grow awareness to the issue.

Translation: I'm not going to give you anything that might prove me wrong.

From what I've heard there was a zone-flip-bug the player in question was exploiting to respawn mining nodes.

Geez people, were you born last night? Ever consider that the OP is only giving you part of the whole story maybe? Perhaps there was some foul play going on with said players; thus, leading to their being banned. Remember kids, take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt.

This, embarrassing naivety for what is obvious misinformation.

Players are being banned from the game for going to Ilum. Apparently: The planet states that you are required to be level 40+ before traveling there according to the customer service mail. And as such, he is getting banned!

Constructively speaking, I find it hard to believe that customer service would BAN players over this.

1) If a zone is supposed to be restricted to a certain level, why not LEVEL LOCK it? Prevent people going to the planet instead of banning them without warning! Is there a disclaimer that going to Ilum too early will get you banned? NO! It's not in the EULA either.

2) If you level up your slicing and that's the best/only place to get slicing XP, what should you do? Stop slicing until your level catches up?

3) INFORM your customer base! Let them know that traveling to this planet is considered a bannable offense! The game is almost A WEEK OLD and players are already being banned without warning!

4) Stop closing the forums posts about it. LEARN from the mistakes, get the players feedback, and grow from it. SILENCING community pain points will not solve the problem, it will only aggravate the community (and ultimately, make the topic spill into private forums)

Ultimately, please stop punishing players for playing the game. Own the mistakes of CHOOSING not to level lock the zone, and CHOOSING not to inform your players that these activities will result in banning, and CHANGE IT. TELL your paying customers that THIS WILL GET YOU BANNED!

Edits: Players requested screenshot

Edits: Things learned through the posts:

1) These players received a temporary ban, but no verbal warning.

2) The grammar of the email provided by Bioware is poorly written, and very vague as to the infraction.

a) Bioware's customer service emails do not have a color background. They are black text documents with no art regardless of if you are being warned about your forum posts, or banned from playing.

3) Beyond these screenshots, there is no further proof. You are welcome to google search for results, and see deleted posts, but aside from a public post from Bioware (who will not discuss the events of peoples accounts, it's considered private) So please do not ask for any more proof. There's none to be had.

4) Even if you choose not to believe it because it's unbelievable; that's fine by me! That's why I created this topic. I felt that how this was handled was ridiculous.

On my server there is a group of level 15 players camping the white crystal spawn, just incase it respawns...

These guys who are getting banned are probably doing the same thing.

This was my first and last bioware/ea/mythic anyone in that family of games I'll EVER buy. I can only hope the word get's out to the larger gaming review sites. Folks need to know what they're getting them selves into when buying and playing this game. I don't cheat or expolit in any game but my entire guild is now having to worry and watch their own backs while playing. Just to make sure no one slips up and is banned for nothing. What happens if a boss bugs out? What happens if some really exited person gets their ship for the first time and went to all the planets with a smile on their face? Oh what? Bioware going to turn that smile up side down by saying you are a bad person that did something they consider illegal. Shameful!

What happens if some really exited person gets their ship for the first time and went to all the planets with a smile on their face? Oh what? Bioware going to turn that smile up side down by saying you are a bad person that did something they consider illegal. Shameful!

Really? B/c afaik, the people in question were level 50 Republic players who had a buddy make an alt on Empire side, get to bar minimum ship level so they could go to Ilum and they could flip the spot for their buddies without getting killed and grind commendations.

Really? B/c afaik, the people in question were level 50 Republic players who had a buddy make an alt on Empire side, get to bar minimum ship level so they could go to Ilum and they could flip the spot for their buddies without getting killed and grind commendations.

This is what I heard from a few places as well.

This was my first and last bioware/ea/mythic anyone in that family of games I'll EVER buy. I can only hope the word get's out to the larger gaming review sites. Folks need to know what they're getting them selves into when buying and playing this game. I don't cheat or expolit in any game but my entire guild is now having to worry and watch their own backs while playing. Just to make sure no one slips up and is banned for nothing. What happens if a boss bugs out? What happens if some really exited person gets their ship for the first time and went to all the planets with a smile on their face? Oh what? Bioware going to turn that smile up side down by saying you are a bad person that did something they consider illegal. Shameful!

Stop doing that thing I can't name. Someone who goes to all the planets upon getting their ship isn't going to get banned.

Someone who nonstop power levels slicing on a low level alt and has their main or buddy on the other side flip Ilum over and over to reset the slicing nodes for infinite credits will be, and should be, banned.

I can't believe this thread still exists.

The OP is a liar and a cheater. If you truly believe his story is fully accurate, frankly, you are an idiot. He was flipping the node in Ilum and he deserved to get banned immediately, without question.

We need to stop bumping this.

(yes - I know I am bumping it...)

I can't believe this thread still exists.

The OP is a liar and a cheater. If you truly believe his story is fully accurate, frankly, you are an idiot. He was flipping the node in Ilum and he deserved to get banned immediately, without question.

We need to stop bumping this.

(yes - I know I am bumping it...)

OP is 100% correct haha

people that posted in this thread that it happened to, their posts have all been deleted haha, the mods are all over this thread :p

but yea go farm slice nodes in ilum and watch what happens... hell this post may disappear

i have no idea what's going on unless it's attempt to keep it quiet

afaik? Really? What do you base this supposed knowledge on? It is not hinted at in the email, which one would think would list the actual problem and not something tangentially related.

So, how do you come to your knowledge that this has something to do with flipping? Did you get it from other people in this thread who also have no source of knowledge?

If people want to talk about rumors, then this suggestion that it has something to do with flipping the zone is a perfect example. It spring from absolutely nowhere and now people are repeating it as if it were a proven fact.

Edited by ApesAmongUs

BioWare really needs to get their act together and work on their community service and communication. It's no longer about hype, celebration time is over. Banning people because of a flaw in their design is not the right way to do things. This is not an exploit if BioWare allows it. Banning is not the way to handle this. Simply don't allow any one under 50 to travel to Illum. If they go there, within 10 seconds they are ported back to the fleet. Problem solved.

This is BioWare who is at fault here. Their behaviour in regards to this is very poor. Original poster isn't lying, so the BioWare fanbois can stop with defending their behaviour.

BioWare really needs to get their act together and work on their community service and communication. It's no longer about hype, celebration time is over. Banning people because of a flaw in their design is not the right way to do things. This is not an exploit if BioWare allows it. Banning is not the way to handle this. Simply don't allow any one under 50 to travel to Illum. If they go there, within 10 seconds they are ported back to the fleet. Problem solved.

This is BioWare who is at fault here. Their behaviour in regards to this is very poor. Original poster isn't lying, so the BioWare fanbois can stop with defending their behaviour.

One of the few things i wish bioware would copy from blizzard is their customer service. I NEVER had an issue with blizzards CS, and i never felt ignored like i do half the time here.