Players BANNED for going to Ilum? Suggestions to Customer Service

Blackk

This is probably the only game I've heard of where a character who loots a high level container is considered cheating if they do the work to get to it in the first place.

Let's see:

Leveled slicing? Check.

Flew to the planet using legal means? Check.

Avoided/defeated the mobs without cheating (CC, companion tanking, hiring a 50 to throw blocks)? Check.

Banned because the container, which you can legally open, in a place where you can legally go, near mobs you have legally avoided contained items or credit rewards above what you could get in a level appropriate area? Yeah, apparently that's how that works.

So if I find a world boss and I kite him all over the place, healing myself and DoTing him, do I get banned? After all, it's clearly group content.

I agree with you mate its unbelievably moronic to ban people for playing the game. the entire game world is dead, zero life, an now they want to ban people form playing..... I have not one single time in my life heard of something so stupid...

IT ISNT EXPLOITING PEOPLE!! lol your playing the game as this poster has stated....

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you mate its unbelievably moronic to ban people for playing the game. the entire game world is dead, zero life, an now they want to ban people form playing..... I have not one single time in my life heard of something so stupid...

IT ISNT EXPLOITING PEOPLE!! lol your playing the game as this poster has stated....

They obviously do not want you sub lvl 40 there looting anything. Noone really cares what you think about it at Bioware. You can say it is not exploiting but exploits are whatever Bioware says they are. Like they say you dont have to like the law but you do have to follow it. That or find yourself perm banned from the game.

This is probably the only game I've heard of where a character who loots a high level container is considered cheating if they do the work to get to it in the first place.

Let's see:

Leveled slicing? Check.

Flew to the planet using legal means? Check.

Avoided/defeated the mobs without cheating (CC, companion tanking, hiring a 50 to throw blocks)? Check.

Banned because the container, which you can legally open, in a place where you can legally go, near mobs you have legally avoided contained items or credit rewards above what you could get in a level appropriate area? Yeah, apparently that's how that works.

So if I find a world boss and I kite him all over the place, healing myself and DoTing him, do I get banned? After all, it's clearly group content.

You conveniently leave out the exploit where flipping the zone resets the nodes which is what the exploit is.

Oh, look. Another well thought out rebuttal from the peanut gallery.

It doesn't require much for control freaks.You screwed up the game enough.Nothing anyone says will change you.You can't police yourselfs so you have to try and control others.Cruits.

its the mentality of starwars fans they are generally seen online as the most angsty, an.....serious... fans of any system in any game. I got called a blizzard employee in game and a troll for daring to mention the issue.... my block list is getting out of control lol

I believe it, SOE are one of the company's that always get in over there head an do really stupid stuff, bioware are learning about MMo's as they go (as evidenced by the sad state of pvp in game).... Controlling the game an making it unbelievably restrictive makes life easier for them...

Edited by BegaTasty

It doesn't require much for control freaks.You screwed up the game enough.Nothing anyone says will change you.You can't police yourselfs so you have to try and control others.Cruits.

What the **** are you on about? How did I, since it's me you quoted, screw up the game? And make it good so I don't feel like replying to you was yet another waste of my time.

Edited by Zorvan

So in an MMO we shouldn't be exploring ? LOl you want a treadmill game where you follow the signs that lead you by the nose?..

Tor already suffers massively from the dead world that instancing creates, an now they want to ban people or encourage them not to explore. Really bloody intelligent...

Oh, for Bob's sake you do not, I repeat not, get banned from exploring.

Read the thread, please. This has nothing at all to do with exploring. It has to do with exploiting or possibly even botting/cheating.

I can almost guarantee you that there is no way at all that anyone has gotten banned, especially not without first receiving a warning (the OP's seems to suggest that he didn't), for exploring content in TOR.

Oh, and I went back to Ilum and found another slicing node at the landing pad:

a

boss

Edited by Bombastuss

So in an MMO we shouldn't be exploring ? LOl you want a treadmill game where you follow the signs that lead you by the nose?..

Tor already suffers massively from the dead world that instancing creates, an now they want to ban people or encourage them not to explore. Really bloody intelligent...

Next time read the entire post before you respond

Oh, for Bob's sake you do not, I repeat not, get banned from exploring.

Read the thread, please. This has nothing at all to do with exploring. It has to do with exploiting or possibly even botting/cheating.

I can almost guarantee you that there is no way at all that anyone has gotten banned, especially not without first receiving a warning (the OP's seems to suggest that he didn't), for exploring content in TOR.

Oh, and I went back to Ilum and found another slicing node at the landing pad:

a

boss

It took them several days to give me an account warning for pretty much doing what you did on those screenshots.

It took them several days to give me an account warning for pretty much doing what you did on those screenshots.

We shall see.

If I get a warning, I get a warning. But if I do get one I will make sure post here.

Though getting a warning is no real biggie. As I said before:

Thing is though, warnings are not bans. Which means that either the mail in the OP is fabricated to some extent or the "friend" continued doing what he was doing despite the fact that he had received at least one warning before the ban.

This leads me to think that BioWare will fix this problem very soon (or already have, if you count the removing of nodes) and that their way of dealing with the exploits is by issuing warnings to players that are engaging in this kind of thing and then ban them if they continue doing it despite the warnings.

Using game mechanics to get more credits than was intended by the devs is, in fact, exploiting. The way that this is being handled seems, to me, quite reasonable.

They're taking measures to ensure that the problem is fixed more permanently and they're giving people who, wittingly or unwittingly, make use of the currently broken systems warnings before actually banning any accounts.

Can anyone honestly say that this is a bad way to handle things?

Edited by Bombastuss

You know what the exploit is and conviently left it out.

Apparently you have a case of selective blindness where you cannot see the words "in what you just described. "

If he meant there to be something else, he should have written it. I cannot respond to words that people think but do not write.

I haven't bothered to read the 80+ pages of conversation. . . . but I wanted to pipe in that I think it's wrong for someone to get their account banned for going to a higher level area. If Bioware doesn't want a low level character to go to a higher level area then they should lock lower level characters out of the planet.

Though, keeping in mind that we don't know all the details about what really happened. If he got a warning from Bioware and continued to do it then he got what he deserved.

Well this has made the mainstream gaming press now.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/01/swtor-ban-for-high-level-looting-unlikely/

The suggestion there, no doubt by someone in this actual thread, is that he was exploiting the lack of high level players to flip control back and forth, thus resetting all the nodes each time, which is somewhat exploity.

With the lack of details provided, we simply cannot make a firm declaration about the fairness of the ban.

Edited by Swift

Players are being banned from the game for going to Ilum. Apparently: The planet states that you are required to be level 40+ before traveling there according to the customer service mail. And as such, he is getting banned!

Constructively speaking, I find it hard to believe that customer service would BAN players over this.

1) If a zone is supposed to be restricted to a certain level, why not LEVEL LOCK it? Prevent people going to the planet instead of banning them without warning! Is there a disclaimer that going to Ilum too early will get you banned? NO! It's not in the EULA either.

2) If you level up your slicing and that's the best/only place to get slicing XP, what should you do? Stop slicing until your level catches up?

3) INFORM your customer base! Let them know that traveling to this planet is considered a bannable offense! The game is almost A WEEK OLD and players are already being banned without warning!

4) Stop closing the forums posts about it. LEARN from the mistakes, get the players feedback, and grow from it. SILENCING community pain points will not solve the problem, it will only aggravate the community (and ultimately, make the topic spill into private forums)

Ultimately, please stop punishing players for playing the game. Own the mistakes of CHOOSING not to level lock the zone, and CHOOSING not to inform your players that these activities will result in banning, and CHANGE IT. TELL your paying customers that THIS WILL GET YOU BANNED!

Edits: Players requested screenshot

Edits: Things learned through the posts:

1) These players received a temporary ban, but no verbal warning.

2) The grammar of the email provided by Bioware is poorly written, and very vague as to the infraction.

a) Bioware's customer service emails do not have a color background. They are black text documents with no art regardless of if you are being warned about your forum posts, or banned from playing.

3) Beyond these screenshots, there is no further proof. You are welcome to google search for results, and see deleted posts, but aside from a public post from Bioware (who will not discuss the events of peoples accounts, it's considered private) So please do not ask for any more proof. There's none to be had.

4) Even if you choose not to believe it because it's unbelievable; that's fine by me! That's why I created this topic. I felt that how this was handled was ridiculous.

players should be banned for exploiting the world levels. they are there for a reason

Perhaps I should go pay Ilum a visit and see if there is any truth in the OP's claim.

Because here I only find 85 pages of hearsay, quite some mindless BW/EA bashing and a handful of people who say to speak from personal experience and none of them were banned.

Well this has made the mainstream gaming press now.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/01/swtor-ban-for-high-level-looting-unlikely/

The suggestion there, no doubt by someone in this actual thread, is that he was exploiting the lack of high level players to flip control back and forth, thus resetting all the nodes each time, which is somewhat exploity.

With the lack of details provided, we simply cannot make a firm declaration about the fairness of the ban.

RPS debunks it. Company reps that respond to these inquiries actually proof-read their crap. Just another kid trying to stir up trouble.