What is the point?

None of the random green and blue gear drops can be deconstructed nor can they be sold as vendor trash.  No more deconstruction means no more credits to offset repairs and random tech fragments/conquest commendations/Flashpoint/Catalyst and War Zone tokens.  If you are even thinking of using them for appearance they do not take a dye.

So what is the point of keeping them in the planet drops, random crates on planets, slicing/treasure hunting missions?

It has been pointed out that they do take a dye so that does improve their use on some level.

Edited by Cindron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

In an effort to be less sarcastic and/or flippant I will skip my first instinct and go with the idea that it's supposed to be part of fixing the economy. Perhaps it's just a mistake. If it's intended, it just creates an unnecessary annoyance.

10 minutes ago, hillerbees said:

My understanding was they could be traded on the gtn for credits and I also understood that they were meant to be dyeable.

None of the items I've picked up so far can be traded on the GTN.

42 minutes ago, VandarKel said:

None of the items I've picked up so far can be traded on the GTN.

I'm sure @JoeStramaglia can say more. They probably failed something on the back-end.

If anyone hasn't read already

https://forums.swtor.com/topic/933986-thanks-for-the-new-world-drops-in-741/#comment-9802977

On 3/8/2024 at 2:19 PM, JoeStramaglia said:

Hello folks!

Just wanted to pop in real quick and give you some more info about these since we haven’t released all of the details.

What are these exactly?

So these Armors and Weapons are new versions of existing ones that had randomized stats and that there was no other way to acquire their appearance in the game aside from existing world drops. These were no longer available to trade on the Galactic Trade Network due to the backend changes, but there are others that may not have been tradeable at all. There are a lot of them! Hundreds of weapons and over 2000 armor pieces. The sheer amount is why we didn’t post a detailed list.

Ancient Armaments Login Reward Calendar

This reward calendar will operate very similar to our 3 existing reward calendars, complete with Achievements and various items available on the track. This has been added to the rotation of login calendars so it might not show up right away. The big change to this one is it will include a chance to get some of these new versions of previous appearances. There will be a Weapons Pack and an Armors Pack on the calendar, the weapon pack will give you a Fitted Weapon from the list of new Weapons. The Armor Pack will give you one complete set of one of these armor sets. The packs will be legacy bound but the contents will be Bind on Equip!

World Drops

Many of these have been difficult to acquire due to requiring specific levels or planets or various other rules. These new ones can drop in any world drop. World drops will be single pieces of armor or a weapon. You can still get the normal randomized stat world drops, these drop in addition to them! However, because we’re adding all of these new items to the normal drop pool, they have no vendor value, so if you want credits for them you’ll need to do some trading. If you don’t want to bother with all of that, you can always destroy them (though they will not disassemble).

Rarity

In both cases of the packs as well as the world drops higher quality items will be rarer. Premium is the most common, followed by Prototype, and then Artifact. Because they can drop at any level they should appear a bit more frequently than many of our other armor world drops.

Collections

These items will not be in collections. They will however be Bind on Equip! This means they can be traded or sold on the GTN. A big part of why I wanted to get these into the game was to make up for the random stat appearance items no longer being tradeable on the GTN due to our backend changes.

I hope that answers many of your questions but if you have anything that I wasn’t able to answer with regards to these new items feel free to ask!

May the Force Serve You

i does sound like they are intended to be traded.

Edited by Traceguy
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, hillerbees said:

My understanding was they could be traded on the gtn for credits and I also understood that they were meant to be dyeable.

From the patch notes:

Ancient Armaments Added To Daily Login Rewards

• Ancient Armaments contain various armor appearances including ones that could not previously be acquired or traded.

• These armor pieces do not contain stats or mod slots and are intended solely for Outfitter.

• These armor pieces do have dye slots and can be traded and bought / sold on the GTN.

• The armor pieces that are available inside of Ancient Armaments are now also available as random world drops.

They are supposed to be dyeable.

Ahh, so it is intended. I didn't fully read the notes before. That players who have no interest in these items will have their inventory constantly clogged up with them and will have to destroy them one at a time. Brilliant. 

Its intended because they stated before when they made their deliberate 'backend' changes that disallowed selling looted gear on the GTN, that they would come up with some way to help players still get looks they might want. HOWEVER, to my knowledge it was never stated that they were going to make the loot drops that we could at least deconstruct for fragments, etc and sell to vendors for change, be changed to where you could no longer even do that much (sell or deconstruct). I was extremely unhappy about the change to being able to sell the looted gear on the GTN nor were they transparent about that change. The only reference to it might be happening, that I could find, was something in testing notes. Now they've gone one step further, leaving you to clean up their crap that we can't do anything with, that's still dropping. Since they've gone this far, just make the old loot stop dropping and substitute those fantastic (/s) new world drops that won't even be added to the collection system.

Between this and the change to conquest points for reputation increase that was stealth nerfed, plus recent poor customer service experiences, I'm just.. supremely disgusted right now.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LittleEwina said:

They are dyable. I got like 12 or so of them today and I can confirm it's possible to dye them

Went in and yes they do.  That is a game changer on some level.  While they still cannot be broken down they ARE worth something.  Edited original post to point that out.  Thanks LittleEwina.

Edited by Cindron

So they new stuff drops INSTEAD of what used to drop?  That's a shame, I thought it would be extra drops in addition to what we were getting.  More cosmetic outfits are fine, but not if they've replaced actual useful items.

So basically it's another stealth nerf.  Those level 75 and up drops were good for credits or tech frags/jawa junk if you deconstructed them. 

The known issues was just updated confirming these items ARE supposed to be sellable on the GTN, so that part seems to be a bug for the moment.

The new Fitted equipment is not listable in the GTN. This is not intended.

20 minutes ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

So they new stuff drops INSTEAD of what used to drop?

It's not new stuff. It's the same old junk with it's item rating removed... along with the ability to turn it into creds/jawajunk/tokens etc. It's a blatent nerf. Not a happy bunny.