The New Forums are here!

JackieKo

4 hours ago, JackieKo said:

We're investigating the ability to customize font size as well as seeing what options we have for a "light mode". 

Excellent!  Looking forward to future customisations for font size🙂  I quite like the current "dark mode" as it suits my vision however, I expect there are many who would like a "light mode".

OK expand signature is nice. Seems to hide everything before you click it. (edit: for most of the crazy ones it hides only a certain amount lol I see the cut off uber large fonts on certain ones too :D)

I didn't see a way to collapse it again. The button disappeared.

Edited by ronin_chi_lao
additional comment about sigs and size :D

11 hours ago, JackieKo said:

[....]

• The snapshots of posts that are published in the dev tracker can only show unique text, so quotes and hyperlinks will not show up. This is tied to how the Search function works to build the Search index. You will have to click on the post itself to see it in its entirety. I know this is not ideal, but let me know how you all feel about this adjustment. 
  • There is something unusual happening with Condensed Mode on the dev tracker and the team is looking into it. 
    [...]

How I feel about it? It's awful.
For 10 years I'm used to get updates from the dev tracker.

Now, posts which show up are not complete, not formated at all, quotes (context) are missing...
So I feel its unreliable, unkomfortabel and a big regression compared to the old system.

It seems for normal posts everything mentioned works fine and honestly forum aren't a new invention so I hardly understand why this won't work for the dev tracker too.
If there is a technical reason why not exclude the dev tracker from the search index (so only the original post can be found). Or have the team staff post/quote/add there topics/replies to the tracker manually like in a normal topic like here (or maybe you can use an automated bot doing so).

On 9/29/2022 at 2:45 PM, JackieKo said:

Hi everyone! 

The new Forums are here! Please have a look around and get acquainted with the new look and features, and let us know what you think in this thread. 

Important notes: 

There is still some processing happening on the back end that impacts older posts not being formatted properly, your profile image not carrying over yet, and the dev tracker not being updated. We anticipate that this process will be completed tomorrow and everything to be in working order. 

We want to keep an eye on everything that is being updated right now and have the ability to troubleshoot and test as needed. Features such as using tags and uploading media are currently disabled. I will let you know when we enable these features.  

If you have swtor.com/community bookmarked, you should be directed to the new Forums. If you aren't let us know! 

You’ll notice that quite a few pinned posts were unpinned primarily because they were outdated or reiterated the same guidelines. Note that the Forum Guidelines are all encompassing and enforced for all sub-forums.  

I also want to reiterate that I want you all to feel a part of this space, so I’ll be keeping an eye on the feedback coming in. If there’s a sub-forum that might be better moved somewhere else or if a description needs to be added or clarified, please let me know. 

As I mentioned in the new Forums announcement, we are rolling out the Forums in phases. We are currently in Phase 1, and when we are ready to deploy Phase 2, you will see aesthetic updates to the Forums in terms of icons, and utilizing ranks and badges. So there is more to come!  

We appreciate your patience as we got everything migrated over, tested, and set up. This was certainly a large team effort and I look forward to seeing what you all think of the new Forums. 

Jackie  

Why are they here though? The old ones worked fine.

Not really a fan of these new forums. They look both empty and cluttered at the same time.

1. Any chance you could kill the massive waste of space on the right side of the forums?  Announcements could be better suited to the TOP or BOTTOM of the forum and the rest is largely junk that could be done away with altogether.

2. Why is the "like" and "quote" buttons above the sig section? that seems like an odd formatting choice?

3. Also, couldn't help but notice the large chunk of text at the top of the Dev tracker that should be able to be hidden from posters regarding what is being tracked.

I think other players have adequately stated the rest of the problems with these new forums.

So far, I'm finding the new layout confusing.  Almost 11 years looking at the old site is going to take time to accept anything new.

For me it feels a bit like putting lipstick on a pig.  Its all well and good giving the forums a facelift but if the underlying game is stale and in need of lots and lots of attention its very hard to get excited about it...at the moment it just feels like another departure from what I like in the game.  Yes, you could argue I'm still here.....but only just.

I don't like the orange color. It's just not representative of the game when the color scheme has been gold since the beginning. Maybe change the gradients to transition from gold to orange.

It's also been mentioned already, but the frame on the right side is a huge waste of space once you scroll past the information in it. There needs to be a way to have all the posts after it stretch beyond it. Are our emoji gone? :jawa_frown: Will they be brought back?

The new forum seems to otherwise be an improvement, but I haven't thoroughly checked out all the features.

Oh, emoji work in my signature, but hell if I can remember all the codes for them.

Edited by Tofu_Shark

2 hours ago, Tofu_Shark said:

Are our emoji gone? ::: Will they be brought back?

Oh, emoji work in my signature, but hell if I can remember all the codes for them.

Check  that  toolbar  above  ^  , within  your  'submit reply'  box ,  and click  that  little  'happy face'  icon (3rd icon in between  'quotes' & 'spoilers' icons ) .

There's actually  MORE  emoji's  now , but  all of our  previous old SWTOR forums  emoji's are for some odd reason placed  wayyyyy down the scroll wheel  toward bottom. :(

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Sorry, I'm not understanding entirely. There wasn't a direct or easy path for anyone to upload images to the previous forums, so the functionality didn't exist for anyone. Can you clarify what you mean? 

For the forums only. But who knows what the future will hold! 

A few notes to everyone: 

• You should now be able to delete your own posts
  • The snapshots of posts that are published in the dev tracker can only show unique text, so quotes and hyperlinks will not show up. This is tied to how the Search function works to build the Search index. You will have to click on the post itself to see it in its entirety. I know this is not ideal, but let me know how you all feel about this adjustment. 
  • There is something unusual happening with Condensed Mode on the dev tracker and the team is looking into it. 
  • Regarding the feedback about the ability to adjust font size and having the ability to switch to a lighter background, those are things we will be investigating. Will share details when I can. 

Thanks! 

That I like. In the past, I had to actually send in a ticket to get it deleted.

• Like 1

used it enough I can now say what I think

when I read the announcement, I was skeptical, past forums changed, and while easier to use on phone made it difficult on the PC .

So I was prepared for that . .  That didn't happen her 🕺 yay.

I did have troubles  at first logging in, I couldn't find it .. right away . that did put me in a slight panic mode, since I couldn't ask here 😕

I have troubles remembering  what the topic was, not able to see it with having to keep scrolling to look,  maybe place the opening topic  on the right. I know some people want flashy things in there, I'm grateful there's not, but unless  I press quote, I some times forget.

yeah I have a bad memory, sometimes in the middle of a sentence, I forget what I'm talking about, then have to ask "What was I talking  about?"

that's the nit picking part

other then that, I like it. It worked out great, thread gets a like from me 👍

ETA: forgot one thing I would like to see, is able to mark read, in the areas I don't read. Instead of the whole forums

Edited by Achnaattwo
eta forgot to add

I think the new forum looks good.  I am a bit confused as to why the signature limit is 4 lines, but it seems like this actually only works out as 2.  Like it's automatically double-spaced or something? 

Anyway, enjoying the new features.  I love messaging apps that allow adding reactions.  If I enjoyed something someone said, I don't always want to post a text response, 'cos I don't always have something of my own to contribute.  But I still want them to know that I liked their comment!  So it's cool that we're able to use a form of that here now.

On 10/1/2022 at 1:46 AM, RyvickTheFirst said:

Not really a fan of these new forums. They look both empty and cluttered at the same time.

2. Why is the "like" and "quote" buttons above the sig section? that seems like an odd formatting choice?

Agreed  , and btw  i just finally figured out how to  MULTI-quote  within the same thread!   lol  might seem obvious for others  who already knew this but  it was driving  ME bonkers  so i thought i'd share....

Basically, i was trying to use the old method of just simply  copy/pasting , which of course doesn't  work now since  new forums have this  independent  'quote box' that seems to exist in cyber-limbo. :mad:

So instead,  like a dense scaredy cat , i decided to click that  large  circle-plus-sign ( + )   and noticed this  strange *pop-up widget*  on lower right.  Then, while staying within same thread but going to a later page, i clicked the ( + ) for  someone else's  post.   And then i clicked the *pop-up widget*  thing and BAM  i got magically transported into a  multi-quoted REPLY window!!

hmm, i wonder how many  +'s  it will let me quote stack....  :csw_jabbapet:

maybe the like and quote are where they are, has to do with when you hide a sig.

which is a feature I like, don't have to be looking at another topic others have for a signature. It's pretty cool, you can hide those long sigs individually , or all if you don't want to see any

The forums continue to be unreadably ugly and actively painful for me to look at, with no accessibility/customization options at all. Desperately needs a light mode as an absolute bare-bones minimum. Actual font/color/layout customization beyond that would help enormously in making it usable.

I had hope when I saw that there would be new, updated forums. Maybe they'd be less of a miserable eyesore, and I could actually use them without getting a headache! But no.

Edited by mirrordances
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, LadyAdmiral said:

Is there a way to delete topics?

Yes,  click on your own already created thread  and then check  just above  the title  for  'Moderator Actions'  widget  drop-down menu  and it should have a DELETE option  if you're the thread creator.

• Like 2

• Dev Post
22 minutes ago, LadyAdmiral said:

Is there a way to delete topics? I found a way to delete my own posts, but not my own topics. Or are you supposed to contact a moderator to delete something.

Example I need this deleted from testing.

https://forums.swtor.com/topic/925114-test-guild-topic/

I deleted it for you. I think topics are a little different when it comes to deletions, because deleting one impacts everyone else's replies, so you will probably need to ask.

Or if what @Nee-Elder said works then I stand corrected. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, JesseReid said:

I think topics are a little different when it comes to deletions, because deleting one impacts everyone else's replies, so you will probably need to ask.

Well, you do bring up a very valid point  @JesseReid ... hmm.... As  you-know-who  might say:  Meditate on such implications of player moderate powers, perhaps @JackieKo should  yessssssss  :csw_yoda:

Edited by Nee-Elder
Reason: words order
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JesseReid said:

I deleted it for you. I think topics are a little different when it comes to deletions, because deleting one impacts everyone else's replies, so you will probably need to ask.

Hi @JesseReid & @LadyAdmiral

I can confirm that deleting topics works similar. I spent some time yesterday evening deleting some embarrassing topics from when I was slightly less experienced on the forums and in life. Many of these topics had multiple pages of replies from people I did not know. 

Here is a an example, be it with no replies, of how you can delete topics. 

https://imgur.com/a/xOfet2i

Edited by RuneJS
A word
  • Like 1