Is Leveling too Easy?

OsarionRDM

Simple question for the masses: Is leveling up in TOR too easy?

Whether yes or no, please say which MMO(s) you come from and how their leveling system's speed compares, as a point of reference.

I say it's a bit too on the easy side. I primarily come from FFXI, and EQ2/DAoC/UO. FFXI had a very long road to level cap. The others were not as arduous.

Edited by OsarionRDM

I'd say it's about where it should be, not ridiculously simple like WoW is nowadays but not so hard people can't be bothered to play unless they're either hardcore MMO players or gigantic Star Wars fanboys who have to play the game just to see how it plays out.

My laundry list of previous MMOs - Ultima Online (1998?-2001, or whateer year it was released my memory from that time is pretty choppy). Everquest 2 (2-3 months), Rift to about 20, Age of Conan to about 41 (no one I knew continued to play otherwise I probably would have stuck with it for a while longer), WoW (mostly private servers, retail for maybe two years on and off), Dynasty Warriors Online (few months), Three Kingdoms Online (maybe a month, game was just a TK version of Jade Empire etc.), DC Universe (3 or 4 months), Warhammer (on and off over the course of a year, eventually just playing a trial account for the lowbie PVP), Star Trek Online (on and off since it's release, been a few months since I booted it up though).

I played several more but their names escape me or I just didn't get past about level 5...the reason my time with each MMO was so short is my general lack of attention span for a game that doesn't pop, the fact that I made it to 23 on this one says a lot.

It's a bit fast, yes. I got into the game the 15th, and dinged 50 morning on the 24th. (I couldn't miss the xmas dinner:))

I never spacebared, I did absolutely everything on every planet. Yes, I outleveled everything and had several 5xp quests, but I love questing. So I really don't understand why people say that you had to spacebar everything in order to hit 50 so fast.

Oh and the MMO I've played most is WoW, followed by Aion (holy hell, grindfest) and then Rift (nice lvl'ing speed there)

Edited by Skayte

Whether yes or no, please say which MMO(s) you come from and how their leveling system's speed compares, as a point of reference.

I say it's a bit too on the easy side. I primarily come from FFXI, and EQ2/DAoC/UO. FFXI had a very long road to level cap. The others were not as arduous.

No actually leveling is too difficult, or rather the xp rewards are too low. In playing for 4 hours I should be able to go through 3-4 levels, but at my current rate, I'm only achieving 3/4 of a level every four hours. At this rate it's going to take me weeks with my play schedule to reach 50.

They need to speed up 40-50 by quite a bit so more players can reach 50 quicker.

No actually leveling is too difficult, or rather the xp rewards are too low. In playing for 4 hours I should be able to go through 3-4 levels, but at my current rate, I'm only achieving 3/4 of a level every four hours. At this rate it's going to take me weeks with my play schedule to reach 50.

They need to speed up 40-50 by quite a bit so more players can reach 50 quicker.

..... /end sarcasm?

This is silly. If anything, leveling takes TOO long.

No. The solo content is way too difficult. I understand why the group content is difficult, but the class quests just seem arbitrarily hard. I mean, really, I'm supposed to be able to fight 3 lvl 32 elites when I'm only lvl 33 myself? I just want to experience the f*cking story, but I can't do that because I have to spend 2 hrs trying to get through a single quest.

If you include the time spent listening to the dialogue, the time spent getting to 50 is where it needs to be.

If you don't include it, then yeah, it's a little be quicker than most MMOs.

This.

IMO, its good. I am only level 38 and have averaged about 5 hours of play. Pretty good, imo. Takes about two weeks more-or-less to get to 50 so its fine.

Interesting question. I've been asking that one myself. I notice I'm leveling a lot faster than I did in the original Everquest. (I haven't played a lot of MMOs since then). It took me 12 months to reach about level 20 in that game, although I approached it pretty casually and had about 4 to 6 characters I was playing.

I WAS a bit disappointed when I saw someone who was lv 50 within a couple of days of launch (presumably that person had been grinding since the first day of pre-launch and probably knew all the game's secrets from being a beta-tester, but STILL). I think the launch was Dec 20th and I saw that player around Dec 24.

If it took them over a million dollars and 3 or 4 years to make a game with enough content for the hardcore player to go through in less than a month, I'm wondering if they can keep up interest for the majority of players for a year or 10 years? They've gone down this ultra expensive path of voice acting everything. It's cool, no doubt, but I'm just wondering if they can keep up the pace, while correcting the game's defects and adding enough content to keep people playing for the long term.

Still, I'm having fun, and for me I'm leveling at a nice pace. I've played about 8 differenct characters with the highest being about lv 15. I just deleted a 7th lv character to make room to create a new character. And I'm trying to figure out the crafting system and get deeper into the game, which is taking a lot of time. I think I started playing 5 days before launch, which is about 2 weeks, and I've been on vacation (playing about 8 hours every day) during that time. It's probably a very good leveling pace for me (assuming it gets harder at higher levels), but I'm not so sure about the hard core players who just want to prove they can level faster than everyone else.

pfft just reached 33 and it feels like the levels are taking forever now although i did feel as if it was too fast when i was in the 20s

15th - 24th level 50? i didn't even think that was possible, guess i'm just a real slower leveler

Well there is no easy or hard in leveling in a mmo, it always happens all it takes is time. I have played WoW, CoH EQ2 and a few others and the leveling in some of those games is straight up mind numbing painful.

So off the bat it is not a question of difficulty it is a question of enjoyment. Many of us have been conditioned with years of other MMOs to believe that the "grind" to max level should be a painful boring and unenjoyable experience; Since this MMO is story driven the leveling seems to be much smoother since you are following a story and feel that you are actually accomplishing something rather than grinding in the plaugelands.

Easy or Hard is irrelevant. You just are not used to a game that is actually fun to level

So off the bat it is not a question of difficulty it is a question of enjoyment. Many of us have been conditioned with years of other MMOs to believe that the "grind" to max level should be a painful boring and unenjoyable experience; Since this MMO is story driven the leveling seems to be much smoother since you are following a story and feel that you are actually accomplishing something rather than grinding in the plaugelands.

Easy or Hard is irrelevant. You just are not used to a game that is actually fun to level

quite.

while following the storyline i had had noticed that i have brought a total of 6 chars to in between 15-19 level range. a total of, SIX chars.

many of my 8 toons in wow stayed at level 12, 20 or 43 level for years.

moreover, i am leveling in style - i am playing a particular class when i particularly feel like playing that class's story.

some days are for scoundrely smuggler action, some days im feeling iconic jedi and pulling out my single lightsaber with my knight, some days i am feeling eloquent and logging into consular. and some days i am feeling like hearing the sound of a rolling autocannon. and then everything goes haywire, and i get surprised by seeing generators built into centers of trees in kashhykk.

Whether or not you feel that leveling is too easy, I don't really think this is a discussion worth having. It is not going to change at this point, it's much too soon and much too volatile a period for them to possibly make any changes to this. Imagine the outcry if they slowed down leveling, now that there are people who are maxed?

This is an interesting topic.. I remember WOW forums being blown up because leveling took too long.. Now people are complaing in swtor that it is to quick.. Today's society amazes me everyday...

not 'people'.

ex wow refugees - a perfect example :

You can tell me to go back to WoW until you're blue in the face. It's not happening. Not because I'm a SWTOR fanboy (which I am proud to say that I am), but because WoW died for me in the Cataclysm expansion. The announcement of Pandas in Panda Land being trained in Kung Fu by Chuck Norris while playing Pokemon pretty much sealed the deal forever for me.

Do I love everything about SWTOR? Certainly not, but I think they have one hell of a product that I will gladly pay for on a monthly basis for my entertainment wants/needs.

The leveling is fine. If you no life grind exp then you level fast. If you casually do everything you level quickly at first then slow over time.

This is incorrect, you do not have to grind. Going through the non-heroic missions is more than enough to level you very quickly. In fact "grinding" is the worst way to earn xp