Gearing system 6.0 versus 7.0

Darittha

PvPers (not me) have entered the room.

"You were saying?"

You think raiding is the hardest? I'd say PvP is significantly harder, as the enemies aren't scripted. Maybe I'm crazy like that.

Oh, is it time invested?

I guarantee I've put more time (and $$) into crafting than you or any raider doing NiM ops the past month. GUARANTEE.

pvp is fine because of its gear level limit, nim ops gear won't do you any good. And also, Ranked PVP get the best rewards this game has to offer, and have for a very long time now.. Which does make me a bit jelly because I don't do ranked pvp because how toxic it is, but I accept that I won't get those freaking cool rewards because I won't accept the challenge it takes to earn them.. I don't expect to be given them, but I think it would be cool if regs had some kind of coolish rewards too, but doesn't have to be as good as ranked rewards.

Edited by SaerethDL

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the complaints about the RNG in 6.0's gearing system, but I feel like that's not a fully linked issue to the acquisition methods. The actual upgrade paths and such were solid in my opinion, it just needed the number of mods toned down significantly. From there, tweaking the acquisition method in a more refined way could have achieved some of their other goals (like adding guaranteed irating drops from Ops to give them a higher floor irating, some changes to queues in FPs and Ops to avoid one specific content being the permanent best, etc). I don't believe the entire system needed to be torn down and redone from scratch to fix the RNG issue, nor do I feel like this new system really encourages much beyond ensuring players "stay in their lane" since venturing into other content at the "wrong time" will give you gear you can't upgrade without committing fully to that content.

We'll see how it works out for them. I know just from what I've seen and experienced on the PTS, this gearing system has sucked any desire I have to play on a regular basis out pretty much entirely, but this kind of negative feedback isn't going to convince them to change it. They're only going to start hearing it if it actually negatively affects their bottom line, so that's the real question mark. If things start changing in 6 months or so, you'll have your answer on how this all worked out.

You think raiding is the hardest? I'd say PvP is significantly harder, as the enemies aren't scripted. Maybe I'm crazy like that.

There is nothing to be argued here, pvp is factually far harder than any scripted and predictable PVE encounter.

Yet as I have explained in the previous post, raiders have been receiving special treatment in many mmorpgs for years so they now feel entitled to having the best rewards and gear at the expense of everyone else even though they clearly arent pvping so they arent doing the hardest difficulty content.

Hence why the raiding community in mmorpgs gets outraged everytime PVP gets the best gear, even when it was not intentional by the devs.

These years of mmorpgs treating them as somekind of special group has lead to this entitlement and belief they are ultra skilled and deserving of the best gear while everyone else is inferior and shouldnt have the same gear as them.

Been playing since 2011 and ive always disliked how best gear was locked behind Nightmare operations where pretty much just a small niche of players can/will reach.

Then came 6.0. and with it the best gearing ever - everything, no matter what person did slowly progressed my gear level until i finally reached 306 rating upon which i could start customizing from countless options and indeed 6.0 was the time when ive most enjoyed the game, meticulously working to gear up and properly equip and augment muiltiple alts to perfection. Though i think about halfway into 6.0 new vendor shouldve been introduced to sell precise mods at 5-10 times the Tech Fragment price of the Takanna RNG vendor sells her mods for.

Now with 7.0.

All this freedom of gearing through any activity, all the freedom of min/maxing stats through mods, enhancements, etc. is being removed and for what?

(and please spare me of the comments like: you dont play Nightmare ops, u dont need the best gear. Everything ingame is affected by gear and no matter what activity you do, gear differences are felt even through level sync so everything feels more rewarding when you put work into getting the gear in the first place.)

If i had the power, i would instantly scrap whole 7.0 gearing idea and instead keep the best ever 6.0 gearing that we currently have now and improve that with the mod-specific vendor.

I think most AGREE with you! I don't like that gearing is going to be FAR MORE LIMITED in 7.0 in fact! I mean it's bad enough all 75 or < Flashpoints &/or Operations will only award 306 or < gear.

They should have revised Weekly's to only include 75-80 Conent..

╘ You wouldn't earn 80 Level gear from 75 Level content, yet at least doing the Weekly's award 1 Crate each!

It also allow Weekly Missions to FOCUS on more recent content as well! Sure this will IMPROVE in time as more 80 Level content is released; yet we'll have to wait 9+ months away at least.

Still conquest will only grant at most 3 pieces each week, which can be higher or lower than your Item Level; still it will initially be limited to 326, then later in time 330. So it will see a lot having to run the Operation repeated times, and very little variation as most people want to increase or see Gear progress! So with RENOWN now GONE, that will greatly SLOW down your ability to see gear progression!

:(

Edited by Strathkin

There is nothing to be argued here, pvp is factually far harder than any scripted and predictable PVE encounter.

Yet as I have explained in the previous post, raiders have been receiving special treatment in many mmorpgs for years so they now feel entitled to having the best rewards and gear at the expense of everyone else even though they clearly arent pvping so they arent doing the hardest difficulty content.

Hence why the raiding community in mmorpgs gets outraged everytime PVP gets the best gear, even when it was not intentional by the devs.

These years of mmorpgs treating them as somekind of special group has lead to this entitlement and belief they are ultra skilled and deserving of the best gear while everyone else is inferior and shouldnt have the same gear as them.

didn't read anything I wrote did ya? The entitlement is all on you my man, you think you deserve to be given same things that don't require the same amount of effort. That is not how life works. You don't start working at mcdonald's for a week as 17 y/o then ask to be paid as much as the manager that has the harder job/more skills/ more time invested. If you don't understand these principals then I don't know what else to say, you will probably just ignore this too.

Edited by SaerethDL

didn't read anything I wrote did ya? The entitlement is all on you my man, you think you deserve to be given same things that don't require the same amount of effort. That is not how life works. You don't start working at mcdonald's for a week as 17 y/o then ask to be paid as much as the manager that has the harder job/more skills/ more time invested. If you don't understand these principals then I don't know what else to say, you will probably just ignore this too.

Except raiders can turn around and sell carries.

The vast reality is vast majority of Player base DON'T like or ENJOY Player verse Player! Though some don't mind GSF (Galactic Star Fighter) - I just wish it was Republic verse Imperial; same with all PvP...

In QUEUE with PvE everyone is either Republic or Imperial. :eek:

80-90% of the Playerbase enjoy PvE far more. PvP doesn't require Higher Item Level than PvE, or special treatment either! I may perhaps play or try PvP a bit more in 7.0 but the reality is with Combat Proficiency gone, that will hurt both equally a lot. But at least I won't need to change them just to do PvP, though I may still require a specific Tactical, or ensure I've got the right Legendary Implants with the right SET. That may still vary from PvE content, but not necessarily. :cool:

Still limiting higher Item Level Gear, mostly behind Master Mode content is very UNPOPULAR!

New Gear should be all 80 Level Content regardless if VET or MASTER. Maybe initially even include the 2-3 most recent Flashpoints/Operations at 75 as well based on Item Level. This should also include PvP or GSF, especially if your 80 or 318 Item Level at least. Otherwise there's just FAR TOO FEW things to do! Many have 10, 15, 25, 25+ Character's they want to see progress (some) even far more!

Edited by Strathkin

The vast reality is vast majority DON'T like or ENJOY Player verse Player!

Same goes for raids, if anything a lot less people do OPS than they do PvP because pvp is easy and fun and can be done by just queing for a warzone, no effort or social barriers on the way, just solo que in one.

And I highly question those stats mainly because swtor is known for being one of the better pvp mmorpgs out there.

PvP doesn't require Higher Item Level than PvE, or special treatment either!

But OPS clearly do?

You see, when you keep finding reasons to justify why a specific group should be treated as special and everyone else should be treated as 2nd class citizens even if they are doing harder content aka pvp you kinda start sounding hypocritical.

Which is not surprising, if a group of people has been treated as special over the years in many mmorpgs they get surprised when things are fair and balanced and everyone gets to have the best gear. What is fair and just looks wrong and unjust in their eyes because they benefited from unfair privilege for all those years.

Nobody should be treated special, everyone should have access to max gear rating by doing content they enjoy.

Same goes for raids, ... But OPS clearly do?

You see, when you keep finding reasons to justify why a specific group should be treated as special and everyone else should be treated as 2nd class citizens even if they are doing harder content aka pvp you kinda start sounding hypocritical.

Nobody should be treated special, everyone should have access to max gear rating by doing content they enjoy.

I completely AGREE with your last sentence.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Still I do GSF quite regularly, just wished they focused PvP on Republic verse Imperial far more! Be it traditional or GSF just as PvE does currently. It be far more exciting to see and then Track who is doing better Republic or Imperial in PvP or GSF, as it could help contribute to Dark verse Light when it returns in each area?

They shouldn't limit Higher Item Gear, to only Operations (Master) and open it up to all 80 VET / Master Flashpoints, Operations, perhaps also revise Weekly Flashpoints / Operations to mostly 75-80 Content too! There will just be far too few things to do with 80 Level Content at Launch and Weekly Flashpoints / Operations / PvP should offer 80 Level Gear as well. This of course provided your gear is 318+ and Level is 80! Our reward with 7.0 is instead running a single OP over and over? No thank you! Very uncool, to say the least.

As someone said, earlier how many new Operations have we seen in the last few years? *Two Thumbs Down*

Conquest I'm FINE they increase the limit to 100,000 - I always thought 50,000 was a bit low. Conquests initially limit you to 326 however, though in time it will be expanded to 330. :(

It's bad enough with RENOWN gone, as that will drastically slow the PROGRES down a lot! They likely FORGET several players have 10, 15, 20, 25+ Character's (or more) and people like to see them PROGRESS.

How wrong! I'm paying my subscription fee to have fun and relax. The moment it becomes anything comparable to work I'll stop paying subscription - when I work I expect to be paid for it, not to pay for being able to work.

I agree, they've taken much of the FUN out of 7.0!

Edited by Strathkin

How wrong! I'm paying my subscription fee to have fun and relax. The moment it becomes anything comparable to work I'll stop paying subscription - when I work I expect to be paid for it, not to pay for being able to work.

you didnt seem to understand what I said, try again. Progression is the staple of most mmo's. I'm not talking about work (job) that was an analogy. I'm talking about work as in effort, challenge, time, etc. Playing video games you think you should just get all the acheivements, gear, rewards right when you load up the game, no those things are earned and there is a progression system to those things to keep you playing and interested in the game. Game development 101. What you're basically saying is that you should get the same reward as someone who puts more effort, time, resources in the game and that is truly entitlement at its finest.

Edited by SaerethDL

Playing video games you think you should just get all the acheivements, gear, rewards right when you load up the game, no those things are earned and there is a progression system...

In 6.0 there's progression - you don't have to do anything in particular but you do have to do a lot to get 306 gear with your choice of sets, tacticals, augments and amplifiers. No one pushes one button and goes from 270 to 306.

In the current 7.0 there's no special progression. You do one particular raid or you get 326/330 non-moddable gear. People that do other things "don't need better gear"? That's just BS. Every activity has challenges that can be solved faster and smoother with better gear. Those willing to put time and effort into getting it should be able to.

Who gets the Limitless achievement by "loading up the game"? Your attitude is exactly why MMOs and MMO'ers have a very bad reputation and those that think like you deserve it.

Edited by Savej

In 6.0 there's progression - you don't have to do anything in particular but you do have to do a lot to get 306 gear with your choice of sets, tacticals, augments and amplifiers. No one pushes one button and goes from 270 to 306.

In the current 7.0 there's no special progression. You do one particular raid or you get 326/330 non-moddable gear. People that do other things "don't need better gear"? That's just BS. Every activity has challenges that can be solved faster and smoother with better gear. Those willing to put time and effort into getting it should be able to.

Who gets the Limitless achievement by "loading up the game"? Your attitude is exactly why MMOs and MMO'ers have a very bad reputation and those that think like you deserve it.

That is why i stopped bothering, it becomes pretty clear certain raiders just want to receive special treatment and will invent a ton of asinine reasons as to why they deserve to have the best gear rewards while everyone else should have inferior gear to them.

Or invent opposition arguments like "oh you just want to login and get everything for free" because from their perspective, anything that isnt raiding is a joke that doesnt matter, only raids are special and deserving of good rewards even though multiple people have mentioned pvp is far harder.

Yet always they return to how raids are the ultimate and most important thing while all other content is easy and a joke that doesnt matter and thus shouldnt give good rewards.

And the funny thing is if raids were so great and important, everyone would be doing them, yet that is never the case because many people dont enjoy raids. But then if you dont enjoy raids according to them "Too bad, you shouldnt have the best gear if you dont do the content I consider hard and relevant"

Edited by ralphieceaser

"who gets the limitless acheivement for loading up the game?".. exactly my point, that was earned, you shouldn't just get rewarded everything for just loading up the game and doing a few heroics. What's my attitude? what didn't you like about what I said. I explained how games are developed and why bioware went back on their idea for 6.0, it's obvious the progression wasn't where it needed to be. You will be fine without that "better gear" my companion can run most of the content in this game by itself lol. YOU DON'T NEED THE BIS GEAR, its not bs..its fact..you want it, but you don't need it for any reason at all (besides maybe helping a tiny bit more for people with disabilities).. Stop getting mad at me for just speaking the truth and explaining some reasons as to why bioware are going back to and evolving old progression systems. :eek:

"who gets the limitless acheivement for loading up the game?".. exactly my point, that was earned, you shouldn't just get rewarded everything for just loading up the game and doing a few heroics. What's my attitude? what didn't you like about what I said. I explained how games are developed and why bioware went back on their idea for 6.0, it's obvious the progression wasn't where it needed to be. You will be fine without that "better gear" my companion can run most of the content in this game by itself lol. YOU DON'T NEED THE BIS GEAR, its not bs..its fact..you want it, but you don't need it for any reason at all (besides maybe helping a tiny bit more for people with disabilities).. Stop getting mad at me for just speaking the truth and explaining some reasons as to why bioware are going back to and evolving old progression systems. :eek:

Technically raiders don't need BIS gear either, as raids can be cleared without it.

Technically raiders don't need BIS gear either, as raids can be cleared without it.

That sadly has never stopped them from feeling entitled to it simply because they see raiding as superior to every other mmorpg activity even though there's another activity that requires way more skill and effort.

For anyone who has been in the mmorpg space for a while, they have witnessed how raiders acted when pvp happened to have the most optimal rewards, without even being intended by the devs, pvp just happened to have the optimal gear piece raiders wanted.

Cries in forums about how they are forced to do PvP and how it is wrong cuz everything they want should come from raid, you dont see them saying PvPers deserve to have the best rewards because they are doing the harder activity, hence the hypocricy becomes clear.

Edited by ralphieceaser

correct, neither do you. It's a reward for completing one of the most challenging aspects of the game. and invites more people to play another aspect of their game that they (bioware) put countless hours of work into and funds into. Again please note that I havent raided in 3 years and do not plan to. I still feel like they should have proper reward for their efforts tho.

It's like this people, you don't have to do it, you just won't get the reward, it's only meant for people who complete the raid, and you just need to take a deep breath in and accept that. before you say pvp.. well ranked pvp has the best rewards this game has to offer already, the coolest, most unique gear/flairs/titles/decs/mounts in the game nobody else can get.

You still can play the game the way you want to, but you won't be able to get the best of the best unless you are ready to earn it, and isn't that so sweet? image how many more players will now be interested in raids and other parts of the game because there wasn't much incentive to do those things with 6.0. You see the developers have a plan and they will be the first to know if it doesn't work.. not this forum. ;)

I am quite worried about it, not because of the changes but because of how much less loot we ll be getting.

If we go from killing a boss and getting 3-4 items to sometimes not even get a piece of gear, that is gonna piss off a lot of people because suddenly loot is very scarce.

WoW literally tried that in their latest xpac and their loot was never generous, yet the problem was so bad many people left and the devs had to buff loot rates.

Swtor is in a far worse position because people are used to getting a ton of rewards from all content, if content suddenly becomes barely rewarding it will feel terrible to play because it ll feel like you are wasting time because you got nothing useful out of it.

in 6.0 even if the gear you got was bad you could always scrap for tech fragments so you never truly wasted your time.

Honestly this doesn't bother me. When I loot a boss I don't care about getting 3-4 pieces of useless junk to Deconstruct. I want a chance of actually getting something I need or at least get something that will help to upgrade to something I need like a currency or material.

They shouldn't limit Higher Item Gear, to only 1 Level 80 Operations (Master) yet also the 80 Level Flashpoints! Yet maybe it will include all Level 80 Flashpoints / Operations? I never really tested that aspect...

They shouldn't limit Higher Item Gear, to only 1 Level 80 Operations (Master) yet also all 80 Level Content! Yet maybe it will include all Level 80 VET/MASTER Flashpoints or Operations? I never really tested that aspect...

Still I don't think they should stop there either!

♦ Revise Weekly's Master Flashpoints/Operations to only 75-80 Level Content, exclusively for Master Mode.

♦ Master Mode Flashpoint / Operations Boss still give 75 Level gear, yet doing 5 / 3 of each get 1 Level 80 Crate.

♦ VET Flashpoints / Operations should focus on 55-75 Level Content, and award up to 75 Level Gear.

♦ PvP or GSF should also award 80 Level Gear, provided your 80 or 318+ to offer more choice.

I've heard new Mod Gear will start at 334 Item Level, yet likely will continue upwards of 350-359?

That suggestion (above) be a far more balanced, and easier sell the MAJORITY of players! There will just be far too few things to do with 80 Level Content at Launch. Doing or running just 1 Master Operation over and over, isn't exactly rewarding... :(

Edited by Strathkin

That is why i stopped bothering, it becomes pretty clear certain raiders just want to receive special treatment and will invent a ton of asinine reasons as to why they deserve to have the best gear rewards while everyone else should have inferior gear to them.

Or invent opposition arguments like "oh you just want to login and get everything for free" because from their perspective, anything that isnt raiding is a joke that doesnt matter, only raids are special and deserving of good rewards even though multiple people have mentioned pvp is far harder.

Yet always they return to how raids are the ultimate and most important thing while all other content is easy and a joke that doesnt matter and thus shouldnt give good rewards.

And the funny thing is if raids were so great and important, everyone would be doing them, yet that is never the case because many people dont enjoy raids. But then if you dont enjoy raids according to them "Too bad, you shouldnt have the best gear if you dont do the content I consider hard and relevant"

My god, is it so hard to realize the basics of the compulsion loop? There is a reason why ALL of the MMORPGs are following it, and it has nothing to do with raiders - it's all about getting the highest neurochemical reward.

Anticipation->Action->Reward. And SWTOR is no exception to it: the game has essentially 3 difficulty modes: story, hard, nightmare.

The problem is that there is only one type of content that has the highest difficulty - ops. Thus only one type of person is eligible for the highest kind of reward - raider. Story mode ops award you the first tier of the current end game gear so that you could progress to hard mode. By progressing harder difficulty ops you get even better gear so that you could take on the highest difficulty. Completion of each cycle award you that pesky dopamine.

And it's exactly how it should be: if you don't bother spending countless hours wiping on the hardest content in the game - why on Earth should you get the best gear for no reason?

Edited by Spoloma

didn't read anything I wrote did ya?

He never does. He just keeps regurgitating the same talking points over and over again.

The entitlement is all on you my man, you think you deserve to be given same things that don't require the same amount of effort. That is not how life works. You don't start working at mcdonald's for a week as 17 y/o then ask to be paid as much as the manager that has the harder job/more skills/ more time invested. If you don't understand these principals then I don't know what else to say, you will probably just ignore this too.

You're wasting your time dude. Concepts such as risk vs reward are completely foreign to him. In his world, players who do nothing more than popping in and playing easy content should get the same rewards as groups doing hard content that has an actual possibility of failure.

Edited by oslek

Game development 101. What you're basically saying is that you should get the same reward as someone who puts more effort, time, resources in the game and that is truly entitlement at its finest.

I like the system as it is now. Can't imagine the amount of grind it would take to get decent gear (306 + reasonable set bonus) by only doing solo content but doing mid-level stuff can get you reasonable gear in reasonable amount of time no matter what you do.

Would I mind being awarded gear for just logging in as you describe it? No, I wouldn't. But neither do I expect it to work this way. I want decent gear for doing content I either like or don't mind and I can accept it taking longer than it does for people who enjoy harder stuff.

Anticipation->Action->Reward.

Then they failed at the first step. Even people who like those changes say that most players won't need this new gear. No anticipation leads to no action being taken. I'll probably do the new ops on Story like I do with every new ops and be done with it. If I like it maybe I'll come back to it at some point (like with Duxun), if I don't I'll never do it again (like with Machine Gods).

Stop moving the goalposts Sareth.

1) You DON'T need the best gear to clear NiM raids.

2) You DON'T spend the most time in your activity, that would be crafters or PvPers.

3) You DON'T spend the most money, that would be crafters. (By a WIDE margin)

4) You DON'T participate in the "most difficult" activity, that would be PvPers.

So tell me again why raiders "deserve" the best gear?

I like the system as it is now. Can't imagine the amount of grind it would take to get decent gear (306 + reasonable set bonus) by only doing solo content but doing mid-level stuff can get you reasonable gear in reasonable amount of time no matter what you do.

Would I mind being awarded gear for just logging in as you describe it? No, I wouldn't. But neither do I expect it to work this way. I want decent gear for doing content I either like or don't mind and I can accept it taking longer than it does for people who enjoy harder stuff.

To get 326 gear it takes 8 characters accomplishing personnel conquest. Even faster, actually much faster with fps or ops.

Then they failed at the first step. Even people who like those changes say that most players won't need this new gear. No anticipation leads to no action being taken. I'll probably do the new ops on Story like I do with every new ops and be done with it. If I like it maybe I'll come back to it at some point (like with Duxun), if I don't I'll never do it again (like with Machine Gods).

Well, that's up to you. For me, 6.0 definitely destroyed any kind of "anticipation", because accomplishing ops awards nothing valuable of any sort. That's why I haven't raided in 2 years and frankly, next to all raiders I know have quit the game early on 6.0.

I still feel like they should have proper reward for their efforts tho.

well ranked pvp has the best rewards this game has to offer already, the coolest, most unique gear/flairs/titles/decs/mounts in the game nobody else can get.

You still can play the game the way you want to, but you won't be able to get the best of the best unless you are ready to earn it,

I think this is important. Yes, it should be emphatically stated that People who do the most difficult content be it NiM Ops or Ranked PvP deserve the rewards for that skill and commitment. Anyone who says otherwise is unreasonable.

That said, my issue with this new gearing system is that according to people who played on the PTS (I couldn't get it installed on my PC. the 326 gear is terrible. If the gear isn't going to benefit story players then things need adjusting.