BioWare, GTN prices are insane, its time to do something

ShieldProtection

EX. post on fleet "WTS [Hypercate Ultimate pack] 1.5b PST"

This certainly isn’t what BioWare will want because those people will be circumventing the GTN credit sink.

Plus, I wonder how long it will be till people start posting about being scammed due to mistakes in trading.

With these trades now happening, I think this issue has now past the point where BioWare can wait to do something in the expansion. They need to do something in the next few weeks.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if ppl actually know or care, but there's a huge income gap as well. the massive inflation bankrupted me big time. I play 6 toons this xpack. and only 3 are min/maxed. I would normally roll 10+ min/maxed, but it's just so ridiculously expensive (even though I make my own augs)...I don't have any desire whatsoever to "earn" the money to kit my alts.

even the occasional trip to the GTN would see basic scavenging or archaeology mats ridiculously overpriced. then I'd go to farm them the old fashioned way, and 80% of the nodes on onderon would be glitched. :rolleyes:

Just earn conquest on all your toons with them being in a guild and you'll easily pay to min/max them all within a few months. Also, a lot of guilds have players who are willing to make augments for guild members for cheaper.

Looks like CM-1337s are just at the cusp of profitability. Mats sell for about 700-750M total to make one CM which then turns around to sell for only 950M. That tells me the fair market value for them should be much higher.

No, you have a chance to crit on the CM-1337 and get two and then you also have a chance to crit on the augment. By the time you craft multiple augments, you've had multiple crits, hence why the gold augs are typically selling at or below cost of the inputs.

How are people trading 1.5 billion for crates?

People only sell them through direct Trade.

People are also selling Ultimate Cartel Pack for 1.2~1.4B/30 packs on GTN because of the 1.5B Hypercrate price.

New players will have to ignore the GTN for their own sanity unless they are rich in real world and could buy a lot of cc lol

Fact that this thread of mine are still popular on forums and have plenty views and replies, proves my point easily, SWTOR have become Guild Wars 2 where you HAVE TO play with Trading Post/GTN to survive in this game.

I laugh to people say "u dont need anything on gtn" oh rly bro? what if I wanted a cool looking armour? People suffer due to horrible economy while rest of you wise guys having billions of credits? You think thats intended and fair?

BioWare have to do something with this level of horrible economy,

Fact that this thread of mine are still popular on forums and have plenty views and replies, proves my point easily, SWTOR have become Guild Wars 2 where you HAVE TO play with Trading Post/GTN to survive in this game.

I laugh to people say "u dont need anything on gtn" oh rly bro? what if I wanted a cool looking armour? People suffer due to horrible economy while rest of you wise guys having billions of credits? You think thats intended and fair?

People have explained this over and over again, it's not our fault you can't understand it, and I don't see any other way of making it easier to understand.

1. Anything that you NEED to play the game can be EARNED playing. The GTN is just an easier route, but it's not the only one

2. There are so many cool armour sets that drop, or are less than the preff allowance, it just takes a bit of time to find the right set, mix match, colour, etc.

3. ANYONE who can post here, can be a billionaire, it just takes a) work and dedication or b) a large credit card.

Either option can be done by a sub

As for preffs, the limits are there to make it more difficult for credit sellers (no, I didn't say stop them, but it does make it more difficult)

Also, it encourages people to sub, so that the game doesn't go Pay to win, it's already in a state where cartel items are being more focused than story mode, take away the sub and it's benefits, can you see how bad it would get.

It's people like you that are stopping BW from introducing more credit sinks, with nice shinnies , as people like you complain that they can't buy them, so we've less places to spend our money. Instead of looking on at our riches with envy, try doing what we did, work hard, or buy your way in.

Fact that this thread of mine are still popular on forums and have plenty views and replies, proves my point easily

Only if you don't bother reading the actual comments.

Bolded key word.

This level of entitlement does not impress me, and I seriously doubt it impresses BW either.

I mean really, "suffer" without cool looking armour? Can you get any more dramatic?

cartel market items are just cosmetics, the increase in price is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, in particular since it promotes buying cartel coins instead, which Bioware probably prefers over players being able to access the same stuff by just playing swtor for 10 minutes

bioware already commented on this that there is no active exploit, the main issue is just that players gain much more credits than they spend, so hopefully, the gain will be reduced in 7.0 and there will be more credit sinks. cm items will still be quite costly even with a reduced inflation but, again, that's not an issue since that's just cosmetic items and a market that depends on players spending irl cash

Edited by RikuvonDrake

cartel market items are just cosmetics, the increase in price is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, in particular since it promotes buying cartel coins instead, which Bioware probably prefers over players being able to access the same stuff by just playing swtor for 10 minutes

No. Cash Shop cosmetics aren't cosmetic-only. They're also mules for money laundering.

It usually goes like this: Cash Shop -> GTN -> Credits -> Endgame Augs.

The Cash Shop's mules allow cash to leak into every core game system, either directly or indirectly.

I kind of agree with OP. As a returning player I noticed a dramatic shift in the economy which in my opinion has gotten out of control.

A few years ago most of the prices were taking in account the preferred status money cap, so that if you reached it you could buy almost any item crates had to offer.

And besides cosmetics, performances enhancers such as augments and stims were affordable.

Nowadays it's totally impossible.

From reading the comments, people have normalized the abnormal. The GTN now feels like a tool only the wall street elite can truly use. :(

No. Cash Shop cosmetics aren't cosmetic-only. They're also mules for money laundering.

The Cash Shop's mules allow cash to leak into every core game system, either directly or indirectly.

Um, what? Just because you can sell a piece of jewelry doesn't make it anything other than a cosmetic item. Cars don't drive faster because they have flame decals on them.

I also don't think you know what money laundering even is.

Oxford Dictionary:

"money laundering"

noun

the concealment of the origins of illegally obtained money, typically by means of transfers involving foreign banks or legitimate businesses.

Nothing to do with the current situation.

3. ANYONE who can post here, can be a billionaire, it just takes a) work and dedication or b) a large credit card. Either option can be done by a sub

Instead of looking on at our riches with envy, try doing what we did, work hard, or buy your way in.

Quoted for truth stated simply.

It's people like you that are stopping BW from introducing more credit sinks, with nice shinnies , as people like you complain that they can't buy them, so we've less places to spend our money.

Right. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. That's Bioware's situation. Yarvok's Gratitude Toy

the cartel market is 100% cosmetics items only, players buying them to resell for credits doesn't change the type of the item, your example is also very much different from any type of money laundering. The credits are already there, they are simply trading hands and most often gtn takes a cut which actually reduces inflation by removing credits from the system :)

the cartel market is 100% cosmetics items only, players buying them to resell for credits doesn't change the type of the item, your example is also very much different from any type of money laundering. The credits are already there, they are simply trading hands and most often gtn takes a cut which actually reduces inflation by removing credits from the system :)

You are correct and he is confused with the terminology. But I think he means “some” people with lots of real life money use the CM to GTN credit path to buy the performance enhancing items like augments, which is a round about way to pay to win “if” you are lazy (avoiding the grind) or “if” you don’t play said content to get the mats to craft. But that’s null and void (for Augs) now that you can get the mats from swapping tech frags for the mats.

Of course 99.99% of CM items are cosmetic and offer no performance / pay to win (only one I consider is character lvl boosters). The issue that time poor or less dedicated players have is they can’t even keep up with the current inflation for most of the non CM - GTN items that can help with performance. And now that people are circumventing the GTN credit sink for the most expensive CM items, this problem will accelerate more.

BioWare could offer a quick bandaid solution till the expansion by increasing the maximum GTN sale limit to 2-5 Billion and the increasing the tax on items over 1 billion (increase to 10-15% maybe) and block all personal trades over 1 billion. It’s not a fix, but it would mostly stop people from circumventing the best credit sink in the game and also remove a lot more credits.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

...increasing the tax on items over 1 billion (increase to 10-15% maybe) and block all personal trades over 1 billion. It’s not a fix, but it would mostly stop people from circumventing the best credit sink in the game and also remove a lot more credits.

These are not a fix. Imagine what happens in economies where these kind of controls are imposed; people will find ways to exchange goods and services at their actual value rather than the imposed price. This is true of currencies as well whose exchange rates are artificially capped; people use the Hawala system.

BW can limit trades of greater than 1 billion; people will use some other high value item - say an RPM or a Flagship Plan - as an additional unit of currency in private transactions.

Edited by mike_carton

Just earn conquest on all your toons with them being in a guild and you'll easily pay to min/max them all within a few months. Also, a lot of guilds have players who are willing to make augments for guild members for cheaper.

i am. I do. and it's nowhere near enough. "a few months" is garbage.

and I make my own stuff. it doesn't get cheaper to make. everyone needs to buy the occasional mat. those mats are ridiculously over priced. amps are a straight credit sink, but if you don't have hundreds of millions, it takes months to get them set.

I don't know how else to explain this to you than that it was never this painful (financially) to min/max, particularly with augs and now amps.

Edited by CheesyEZ

People have explained this over and over again, it's not our fault you can't understand it, and I don't see any other way of making it easier to understand.

1. Anything that you NEED to play the game can be EARNED playing. The GTN is just an easier route, but it's not the only one

2. There are so many cool armour sets that drop, or are less than the preff allowance, it just takes a bit of time to find the right set, mix match, colour, etc.

3. ANYONE who can post here, can be a billionaire, it just takes a) work and dedication or b) a large credit card.

Either option can be done by a sub

As for preffs, the limits are there to make it more difficult for credit sellers (no, I didn't say stop them, but it does make it more difficult)

Also, it encourages people to sub, so that the game doesn't go Pay to win, it's already in a state where cartel items are being more focused than story mode, take away the sub and it's benefits, can you see how bad it would get.

It's people like you that are stopping BW from introducing more credit sinks, with nice shinnies , as people like you complain that they can't buy them, so we've less places to spend our money. Instead of looking on at our riches with envy, try doing what we did, work hard, or buy your way in.

He's just mad because he doesn't want to look like Theron Shan. Or he doesn't want to look fancy in the ceremonial dress.

Or he doesn't realize the advanced slicer armour looks really good without the helmet.

I could go on but you could make a pretty decent outfit just with Theron and the Slicer's set. Honestly the slicers set is worth buying for the boots.

Theron runs 8-9k and looks great as is. the other two normally run 1k.

These are not a fix. Imagine what happens in economies where these kind of controls are imposed; people will find ways to exchange goods and services at their actual value rather than the imposed price. This is true of currencies as well whose exchange rates are artificially capped; people use the Hawala system.

BW can limit trades of greater than 1 billion; people will use some other high value item - say an RPM or a Flagship Plan - as an additional unit of currency in private transactions.

I never said it was a fix. It’s a bandaid at best. It’s a short term knee-jerk to put the brakes on till BioWare can address it with something better in the expansion.

Also, while it’s possible people might want to circumvent the way you suggest, it would become a bigger pain in the arse than doing direct trades with credits. I think a very small percentage might do it, but I think the majority would just use the GTN because of laziness and convenience.

And don’t forget, RPMs, mats or SS plans are all easy to get. RPMs and the mats that make those Augs will also be pretty useless once the expansion releases. Remember, BioWare traditionally add new schematics and the new blue ones will be better than the current ones.

The only currency that probably won’t change is credits. So it’s the safest way to collect wealth before the expansion. Doing it the way you suggest is riskier IMO than paying a few percent more in GTN tax.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

He's just mad because he doesn't want to look like Theron Shan. Or he doesn't want to look fancy in the ceremonial dress.

Or he doesn't realize the advanced slicer armour looks really good without the helmet.

I could go on but you could make a pretty decent outfit just with Theron and the Slicer's set. Honestly the slicers set is worth buying for the boots.

Theron runs 8-9k and looks great as is. the other two normally run 1k.

There are still many CM outfit boxes that go for less than 1000 credits. You can buy many different cheap CM outfits below 100,000 credits and mix and match items to make lots of different looks.

It’s only the very newest or rarest outfits that are super expensive.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I kinda feel sorry for people who have to play casually at the moment (at least on Darth Malgus, don't know about other servers). Just yesterday some guy tried to sell large turret deco for 300k along with some other CM items, then decided COD mails are complicated (said he needed the money quickly) and ended up selling the turret for 200k on the GTN. Current price for it is around 22.5 mil btw. I bought the turret off GTN and mailed him 3 mil as a sort of compensation but I was somewhat shocked about the gap that exists between different players and their incomes. I'm definitely nowhere as rich as TrixxieTriss (only played for a year and half and don't regularly sell stuff on the GTN) but still it's kinda discomforting seeing people (maybe complete noobs but the guy was 74 lvl) have problems accumulating relatively small amounts of money when stuff costs so much.

Don't know about any sure, foolproof way to fix the situation but maybe some direct sale of CM items buy Bioware on the GTN was in order. Like RL when prices rise swiftly on staple goods some countries do a sort of goods intervention selling off a part of their strategic stock.

I still think (I posted this before) that making it possible to put things on the GTN as "Bind on Pickup"** would allow people to put items on the GTN at reasonable (or even, cheap) prices without having scalpers buy them up to resell.

** key word, "optional". You put an item on the GTN and choose to make it BoP. This way, those people who wish to help the less fortunate can actually do so.

** or Bind to Legacy on Pickup (BtLoP?) would be even better. 🙂

Actually the only way to fight inflation and greed is to subscribe the game and to play a lot. This way you can buy the best items for the "free" cartel coins received monthly. The more players subscribe and buy with "free" CC the lower interest into offers posted on GTN. People trying to sell stuff for incredibly high prices will be forced in time to reduce prices because there will be decreasing interest in GTN. Also will be decresing amount of buyers willing to spend so much credits on a single item. Prices will drop or not, but I believe it's the only way for everyone who is not yet a whale in this game, to get rich and have really nice stuff :D.

PS. the rich people will always claim there is no greed or inflation is not so high in the world, or the inflation is time limited and reversible - that's not true.

Edited by Grendel_Echo