BioWare, GTN prices are insane, its time to do something

ShieldProtection

I'd just like to point out that Bioware did not say that there is no active credit exploits/dupes in the game. There is enough proof that an active exploit/dupe exists and is the cause of this inflation. We've already replied to each other about this and those posts with some of that proof have been deleted from this thread. I won't debate it further and we can just agree to disagree.

I would just like to ask if credits from conquest is indeed causing the inflation. Why do you think Bioware hasn't done anything about it? I mean I don't recall exactly when all these credits from conquest started coming but it was at least 2-3 years ago. If Bioware is studying and measuring economic indicators then they could of seen this happening and fixed it some time in the past 2-3 years right?

However lets give them the benefit of the doubt that they just discovered this recently. Why do you think it is that they don't immediately hotfix the credits coming from conquest? I mean this is a huge problem after all and one of the most talked about. They could easily do that but instead it is an 7.0 change which who knows when will be coming and especially if it gets delayed. Do you think it is possible they aren't immediately hotfixing it because its not what is causing the inflation? Instead they just threw in that change to make people happy since most are blaming credits from conquest?

I’ve never seen any proof that you’ve posted. And Bioware have said on Discord that there are no credit exploits.

As far as I’m concerned, you’ve zero evidence of a credit exploit and are just spreading misinformation and conspiracies to fit your agenda.

If you do have proof of one then please send it to Bioware so they can fix it. If you don’t have proof or you aren’t willing to send it to Bioware, then I’m sorry, but I have to call bullcrap on your conspiracy.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one thing will fix the inflation. It’s needs a multi-prong approach.

This I can completely agree with. When I suggested eons ago that BWare could nuke everybody back to 0 I did say that is what I would have done if I were a Dev. Of course, people assumed I thought it was a perfect solution. It isn't but it would get the lingering "black credits" that never left the system back during the exploits.

Edited by JakRoanin

This I can completely agree with. When I suggested eons ago that BWare could nuke everybody back to 0 I did say that is what I would have done if I were a Dev. Of course, people assumed I thought it was a perfect solution. It isn't but it would get the lingering "black credits" that never left the system back during the exploits.

Your idea would also cause a mass exodus of players quitting. Especially those who spent real cash to buy CC’s to convert to credits via the GTN.

The last thing Bioware would want to do is piss off the Cash paying CC whales. They are major contributors to keeping the server lights on and paying shareholders.

Without them the game would die and EA would shut it down.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Your idea would also cause a mass exodus of players quitting. Especially those who spent real cash to buy CC’s to convert to credits via the GTN.

The last thing Bioware would want to do is piss off the Cash paying CC whales. They are major contributors to keeping the server lights on and paying shareholders.

Without them the game would die and EA would shut it down.

You are correct about the Refer a Friend program being the primary cause of the current inflation but it is because of the number of people that exploited that system ( a system meant to convince non-subs to sub and not give free CCs to people for getting subs to click their link - Bioware should have put in the effort to track down the people spamming those links and zeroed out their CC balances). Had Bioware corrected that loophole years ago, there would not be the inflation there is now. The vast majority of the billionaires in the game made their billions by converting free CCs to credits (essentially accumulating all the credits tens of thousands of players earned over the 10 years since the game launched)

The GTN is the primary source of the exchange of credits in the game and dwarfs what people "create" by doing missions. If you really think earning credits is a problem, why reduce them by 80%, instead reduce them by an amount equivalent to the "sales" tax on the GTN. Reducing them by 80% only keeps the rich rich and prevents everyone else from getting there (after all once you have a billion credits, you never need to run another mission again and so are immune to both the credit sinks and to the reduction in "earnings"). The target for sinks should be exclusively the GTN. A non-refundable listing fee based on the sale asking price would be a good place to start (along with a total ban on trading Cartel Market items outside the GTN - with some accommodation made for gifting them to friends)

I also think you overestimate the impact of the cash paying "whales". If they were so predominant, there would be a greater supply of CM items and lower inflation.

Bioware have said on Discord that there are no credit exploits.

But where is your proof?!??! Seriously I don't care about any talk of exploits/dupe so don't reply back about it. Just asked your opinion on the following but you conveniently ignored so I'll ask again.

I would just like to ask if credits from conquest is indeed causing the inflation. Why do you think Bioware hasn't done anything about it? I mean I don't recall exactly when all these credits from conquest started coming but it was at least 2-3 years ago. If Bioware is studying and measuring economic indicators then they could of seen this happening and fixed it some time in the past 2-3 years right?

However lets give them the benefit of the doubt that they just discovered this recently. Why do you think it is that they don't immediately hotfix the credits coming from conquest? I mean this is a huge problem after all and one of the most talked about. They could easily do that but instead it is an 7.0 change which who knows when will be coming and especially if it gets delayed. Do you think it is possible they aren't immediately hotfixing it because its not what is causing the inflation? Instead they just threw in that change to make people happy since most are blaming credits from conquest?

You are correct about the Refer a Friend program being the primary cause of the current inflation but it is because of the number of people that exploited that system ( a system meant to convince non-subs to sub and not give free CCs to people for getting subs to click their link - Bioware should have put in the effort to track down the people spamming those links and zeroed out their CC balances). Had Bioware corrected that loophole years ago, there would not be the inflation there is now. The vast majority of the billionaires in the game made their billions by converting free CCs to credits (essentially accumulating all the credits tens of thousands of players earned over the 10 years since the game launched)

The GTN is the primary source of the exchange of credits in the game and dwarfs what people "create" by doing missions. If you really think earning credits is a problem, why reduce them by 80%, instead reduce them by an amount equivalent to the "sales" tax on the GTN. Reducing them by 80% only keeps the rich rich and prevents everyone else from getting there (after all once you have a billion credits, you never need to run another mission again and so are immune to both the credit sinks and to the reduction in "earnings"). The target for sinks should be exclusively the GTN. A non-refundable listing fee based on the sale asking price would be a good place to start (along with a total ban on trading Cartel Market items outside the GTN - with some accommodation made for gifting them to friends)

I also think you overestimate the impact of the cash paying "whales". If they were so predominant, there would be a greater supply of CM items and lower inflation.

I do agree that Bioware probably don’t have to Nerf the conquest credits that hard. 80% is a really big amount to Nerf. Are you sure that’s the amount they are doing?

The situation with cash whales is a little more complex than you suggest. They do supply a steady amount of items. But what you have to remember is Bioware keep adding more things for them to buy, so the quantity they buy is always being stretched out more. The cash whales aren’t infinite, but they are major players on the GTN and without them, most of the CM items would need to be purchased by players directly from the cash shop.

You also have the credit whales that are buying up a lot of the cash whales goods if they are too cheap and storing them to make higher profits. It’s a two fold situation driving demand because the credit whales are restricting supply by hoarding things. That’s pushing up prices and it’s mostly the credit whales controlling the market and not the cash whales.

That’s why I agree with you that Bioware should use the GTN to rein in some of the excess credits in the game. But where we differ is in how they should do that. I don’t agree with a listing tax that’s non refundable if the item doesn’t sell. That will just discourage people from listing at all and it will encourage more player on player trading in the trade channel.

Where as a sliding tax scale could be applied and the lowest items could even start at 4% instead of 8%. That would allow new players to make some credits on low priced items. Then as prices on items increase, so does the tax. Bioware could set the scale from 4% for sub 50k items and increase it to say 16% for 900mil - 1bil. That would encourage some people to list lower, but of course some would still trade player to player.

I would even go further and increase the GTN listing cap to 2 billion and have the tax scale up to a maximum 26% for the 1.9 billion bracket. But for that to work, Bioware would need to put a new cap of a 500 million -1 billion credits on the amount players could trade between them or people would just circumvent the GTN tax for higher priced items.

But I think putting tougher restrictions like you suggest on player to player trades would be detrimental and unnecessary, especially for guilds that often use CM items as rewards. I buy all the stuff my wife wants and then give it to her. I know you suggest a mechanism for gifting, but if you can still gift, there will be ways people will circumvent the restrictions.

Make the system seemingly fair and target the top credit whales on the GTN without being to onerous and it won’t piss the majority of players off. Which is the last thing Bioware needs with how many they are already going to piss off with their announced 7.0 changes.

But where is your proof?!??! Seriously I don't care about any talk of exploits/dupe so don't reply back about it. Just asked your opinion on the following but you conveniently ignored so I'll ask again.

Because it took time for those credits to accumulate after the 6.0 changes. Bioware did initially try adding / adjusting the credit sinks like amplifiers in the hope that would combat the situation without nerfing new players potential to earn credits. Sadly it was a poor (sorry for the pun) credit sink because it relied too much on gambling. So many of us found ways to circumvent it or we just ignored it altogether.

You can see from other peoples comments that they aren’t happy about the Nerf to conquest credits because they either don’t have many credits or they are newish to the game or play ultra casual on only one Alt. Bioware knows this and probably wanted to avoid the Nerfing conquest but they have no other viable option when they don’t have proper credit sinks. I’m sorry, but I’m not privy to their reasons, I can only guess.

I’m also guessing they didn’t think removing the referral system would have such a big impact either. They obviously knew it would have some impact otherwise they wouldn’t have added CC’s as rewards in GS. Sadly, those GS cartel coins weren’t enough to keep inflation in check.

Because it took time for those credits to accumulate after the 6.0 changes. Bioware did initially try adding / adjusting the credit sinks like amplifiers in the hope that would combat the situation without nerfing new players potential to earn credits. Sadly it was a poor (sorry for the pun) credit sink because it relied too much on gambling. So many of us found ways to circumvent it or we just ignored it altogether.

You can see from other peoples comments that they aren’t happy about the Nerf to conquest credits because they either don’t have many credits or they are newish to the game or play ultra casual on only one Alt. Bioware knows this and probably wanted to avoid the Nerfing conquest but they have no other viable option when they don’t have proper credit sinks. I’m sorry, but I’m not privy to their reasons, I can only guess.

I’m also guessing they didn’t think removing the referral system would have such a big impact either. They obviously knew it would have some impact otherwise they wouldn’t have added CC’s as rewards in GS. Sadly, those GS cartel coins weren’t enough to keep inflation in check.

Ok fair enough answer about it. I will say that not hotfixing it right now makes no sense at all if it is causing all this inflation. The inflation is so much worse than people complaining about less credits from conquest. They could even hotfix it so you get less credits when running alts so it doesn't impact new/causal players.

One final thing I will ask you assuming If they launch 7.0 in December. If reducing conquest credits has no impact on the rate of inflation or the rate of inflation gets much worse over the coming months. What do you think will still be causing it at that point and will you still believe Bioware since they say the solution is reducing conquest credits? Just to be clear I'm talking about the RATE of inflation not the current inflation because the current inflation will stay until they remove credits somehow. Which a good way to start doing would be going after RMTers who seem to have an endless supply these days.

I do agree that Bioware probably don’t have to Nerf the conquest credits that hard. 80% is a really big amount to Nerf. Are you sure that’s the amount they are doing?

<snip>

What is currently on the PTS is a reduction of the credits gained from 100,000 to 25,000 and an increase in the CXP needed to complete personal conquest from 50K to 100K which is effectively cutting credits earned from conquest well over 80% (87.5% to be exact).

Conquest is the main source of donated credits in the guilds I am running so cutting it by that much cuts guild income by a like amount. While for big guilds with hundreds of players that isn't a problem, for a small 20-30 person guild, we will start to have issues keeping guild perks active at 1M each.

I have no clue how Bioware determined that Conquest credits were the problem, even if you ran 100 alts through conquest every week (a real chore), you would still take a year to make 500 million (which would maybe allow you to buy one Cartel Market item at current prices).

I have also noted that repair bills have increased significantly on the PTS (probably due to the increased damage you are taking due to the capping of defense stats). It is conceivable that if you die once running conquest, you will actually have a negative credit flow for the week. Not a good thing to keep players playing the game.

This has some very interesting points as well. I especially agree with the last sentence. Credits are useless if the supply of goods a person wants (from the CM or otherwise) does not exist. There is not enough goods in the system to sink credits on. Even SH's aren't sinking enough. Exchanging Credits through the GTN does not Remove them. That is a serious issue on its own.

What is currently on the PTS is a reduction of the credits gained from 100,000 to 25,000 and an increase in the CXP needed to complete personal conquest from 50K to 100K which is effectively cutting credits earned from conquest well over 80% (87.5% to be exact).

Conquest is the main source of donated credits in the guilds I am running so cutting it by that much cuts guild income by a like amount. While for big guilds with hundreds of players that isn't a problem, for a small 20-30 person guild, we will start to have issues keeping guild perks active at 1M each.

I have no clue how Bioware determined that Conquest credits were the problem, even if you ran 100 alts through conquest every week (a real chore), you would still take a year to make 500 million (which would maybe allow you to buy one Cartel Market item at current prices).

I have also noted that repair bills have increased significantly on the PTS (probably due to the increased damage you are taking due to the capping of defense stats). It is conceivable that if you die once running conquest, you will actually have a negative credit flow for the week. Not a good thing to keep players playing the game.

OK, It's actually going to be much worse. Not only will it take twice as many CXP to reach your personal goal, they are removing a lot of sources of those CXP/XP/creds. (see the new DEV Conquest post).

Something's not adding up with the Conquest nerf.

The reward for 50K CQ is 100k credits, solid resource matrixes (SRM's) sell for 175k (rounded up) apiece, assuming you don't use them. (You get four (4)

Now, assuming your large guild hits it's CQ mark, and assuming you invaded a large planet, and assuming you sell everything, use nothing towards guild advancement, you get tech frags, plus 3 SRMs, plus an encryption.

(100K + 750k + 525K) * 36 alts = 49 m credits a week income.

However, if people are buying your SRMS, then that's merely a transfer of funds from one player to another, there's no net gain in credits. Money velocity is high, but, velocity doesn't explain inflation.

We're missing a piece to the puzzle, and I doubt EA is going to be very forthcoming with said piece.

As I said, the numbers don't add up.

This has some very interesting points as well. I especially agree with the last sentence. Credits are useless if the supply of goods a person wants (from the CM or otherwise) does not exist. There is not enough goods in the system to sink credits on. Even SH's aren't sinking enough. Exchanging Credits through the GTN does not Remove them. That is a serious issue on its own.

There is currently an 8% tax on the GTN. So it does in fact remove some credits from the system. My proposal of adding a sliding tax that significantly increases at the highest prices would take large amounts of credits out of the game every time someone sold something.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

honestly, this is great, the community has been asking for reduced credit generated by player activities for a while which in combination with credit sinks will help fix the inflation

good stuff, more like this please, perhaps reduce credit gain from heroic missions as well, in particular from the ones that are very quickly completed

OK, It's actually going to be much worse. Not only will it take twice as many CXP to reach your personal goal, they are removing a lot of sources of those CXP/XP/creds. (see the new DEV Conquest post).

Yeah, I’ve read it and I’m mightily disappointed at such a major over correction. So much so that my family is deciding to unsubscribe. We won’t be participating in conquest for 7.0 and that’s our main activity. So there is no reason for us to subscribe. Lately, every announcement BioWare does for 7.0, makes us want to play less.

honestly, this is great, the community has been asking for reduced credit generated by player activities for a while which in combination with credit sinks will help fix the inflation

good stuff, more like this please, perhaps reduce credit gain from heroic missions as well, in particular from the ones that are very quickly completed

Player activity has never been the problem. People converting CC into credits via the GTN and selling hard to get in-game items (mods, augments, crafting mats, whatever) is where most of the credits come from. Credits from missions and vendor trash are not the problem.

Player activity has never been the problem. People converting CC into credits via the GTN and selling hard to get in-game items (mods, augments, crafting mats, whatever) is where most of the credits come from. Credits from missions and vendor trash are not the problem.

That’s not how credits are created. You’ve got it completely backwards. Credits in the game are only created from playing it. Credits players collect from GTN sales had to already be generated in the game by playing it. All the GTN sales do is move those credits from one player to another. And at the same time they take 8% out of the game. If anything, the GTN sales actually removes credits from the game.

That’s not how credits are created. You’ve got it completely backwards. Credits in the game are only created from playing it. Credits players collect from GTN sales had to already be generated in the game by playing it. All the GTN sales do is move those credits from one player to another. And at the same time they take 8% out of the game. If anything, the GTN sales actually removes credits from the game.

I've never earned enough credits simply by playing that would allow my to buy just about anything off the GTN. Please tell me where which missions or heroics are giving way all of these credits so I can play them. Unless your only activity is farming credits 24/7 and nothing else, I don't see how it's possible to come up with tens of millions of credits.

I've never earned enough credits simply by playing that would allow my to buy just about anything off the GTN. Please tell me where which missions or heroics are giving way all of these credits so I can play them. Unless your only activity is farming credits 24/7 and nothing else, I don't see how it's possible to come up with tens of millions of credits.

Agreed. Although I might fix it to "hundred of millions" and "lots of alts at max crew skills". "Tens of millions" can be achieved slowly by just playing heroics at max level. If you have crew skills then even faster. "Hundred of millions" is a different story: you can still run crew skills, but unless just like you said the only goal is to farm credits 24/7 + you have lots of alts. Personally, I have 2 alts at max level and 700 crew skills, so I can make credits in tens of millions from Scavenging. Although this requires a lot of clicking to send out companions, because you can only send out 8 per time. If I want to make hundreds of millions, I waited for when the unit prices for scavenged items are high; or just sell a specie unlock bought from the GTN.

You’ve confused making credits with acquiring credits.

Credits for the whole game need to be made first by players playing the content, getting rewards or selling drops at vendors. As those credits accumulate through the whole player base, they can be acquired from other players stash of credits through GTN trading.

Then said GTN traders can start acquiring wealth from the whole player base to get rich. As more credits are generated and pumped into the economy, those credits start to lose their value to buy more expensive items. The sellers know that some players have vast amounts of wealth and tap into that by increasing prices (inflation). As more and more credits flow into the market, the rich get richer and the poor struggle to keep up by just playing content.

To sum up, playing content alone doesn’t make you rich. But playing content creates credits that are eventually accumulated by the wealthy traders. If you want to get rich in the game you have to learn to trade. But trading itself doesn’t make the credits in the game.

Can you now see and understand the difference between making the credits and acquiring the credits?

Edited by TrixxieTriss

you seem confused about the difference between credit generated and credit circulation, the former is the issue, the latter is not :)

Something's not adding up with the Conquest nerf.

The reward for 50K CQ is 100k credits,

We're missing a piece to the puzzle, and I doubt EA is going to be very forthcoming with said piece.

As I said, the numbers don't add up.

Close to 100% of all credits ever generated in TOR comes from mission completion rewards, loot and selling stuff to vendors. Via conquest, you easily make 100k credits in 10 mins/char/week if you pay any attention to it. It takes a notable amount of time and effort to generate as much money via any other activity.

Super casual person who only plays this game 1-2 hours a week generates 100k new shiny credits from conq and maybe 50-150k via any and all other means.

Super hardcore person who juggles 10 alts generates 10x100k from conquest each week..

Basically, both of these extremes have conq mission rewards at front and center when it comes to how they generate the credits.

BW basically broke conquest with xp=cq patch. As some great sage and thinker wisely declared back then, conquest lost its shape and purpose! All kinds of issues that weren't a thing before were born. Inflation increased a great deal and conquest became both omni-present and trivial overnight.

Edited by Stradlin

Close to 100% of all credits ever generated in TOR comes from mission completion rewards, loot and selling stuff to vendors. Via conquest, you easily make 100k credits in 10 mins if you pay any attention to it. It takes a notable amount of time and effort to generate as much money via any other activity.

Super casual person who only plays this game 1-2 hours a week generates 100k new shiny credits from conq and maybe 50-150k via any and all other means.

Super hardcore person who juggles 5-10-15 alts generates 10x100k from conquest each week..

Basically, no matter your playstyle, conq mission rewards often end up being a major portion of credits you earn from TOR client.

They basically broke conquest with xp=cq patch. As some great sage and thinker wisely declared back then, conquest lost its shape and purpose! All kinds of issues that weren't a thing before were born. Inflation increased a great deal and conquest became trivial.

And from what I have heard GSF is a major contributer. The worst of the inflation has been in the last 6-8 months which coincides directly with the boosting of GSF rewards for Conquest. Since heroic missions were nerfed massively, it hardly seems likely they are the cause. If you don't nerf GSF at least 75%, then nothing will change (50K or 100K makes no difference for completing conquest via GSF with all the high value and infinitely repeatable rewards) and people will still complete dozens of alts through conquest via GSF with little effort and less skill. But that's what you want, boost your favored content and nerf other peoples content just like last time.

I also disagree with your assessment of where all the credits come from. I make a lot more credits selling the green gear that drops from low level planets runs with lvl 75s than the 100K for conquest. Allowing rewards to be based on character level instead of planet level is another major source of the extra credits. Conquest is once per week per alt whereas GSF and farming low level enemies can go on non-stop. 250K in credits from conquest and "other" activities is a drop in the bucket as far as inflation goes (I'd say 12 million a year is hardly something to be concerned about)

And the 10 minute completion is limited to one alt unless you have the 250% cxp boost from strongholds, which not everyone has. This is another one of those "I'm rich and want to make sure no one else has a chance to get there" posts or "wait, those small guilds are completing conquest too easily and we can't sell encryptions to them for 1 million a piece, Bioware needs to slow their gain down so they have to buy more from us" post

Lol..planetaries,gsf or fps...or sneezing on keyboard. It all takes you to 50k extremely fast. And as long as we talking planetaries, has done so for 18 months or so. That's when inflation got out of hand. Cxp=conq should never have turned into a thing.

whereas GSF and farming low level enemies can go on non-stop.

It usually doesn't though. Almost nobody farms low level mobs "non stop" for their drops. Almost everybody dings conq target in less than an hour though. So almost every character who as been actively played reaches conq target.

Edited by Stradlin

Lol..planetaries,gsf or fps...or sneezing on keyboard. It all takes you to 50k extremely fast. And as long as we talking planetaries, has done so for 18 months or so. That's when inflation got out of hand. Cxp=conq should never have turned into a thing.

It usually doesn't though. Almost nobody farms low level mobs "non stop" for their drops. Almost everybody dings conq target in less than an hour though. So almost every character who as been actively played reaches conq target.

But we are not talking about 50K we are talking about 100K with a large reduction in the overall conquest points obtainable. What is on live is nothing like what is on the PTS (and what 7.0 will be). No more extra CXP for completing a level (or 5 levels). No more CXP for completing a reknown level (with a boost you can usually get two of these for 12K of the 50K you currently need - so that a reduction of 25% in CXP gain just from loss of reknown). Uncompleted dailies and weeklies also reset so you lose any progress on those so more of a reduction in available CXP. Not all weeklies will reward full CXP with 7.0 (only a subset of them will which changes from week to week - the ones not on that list will reward something like the 2nd and higher heroic on a planet which is currently about 15% of the first one). There also won't be gear or reknown crates anymore which dropped enough stuff for another 20-30K. No conquest mats either that you could conceivably sell if you needed money for repairs or to buy encryptions to expand your guildship. Repairs are also running double to triple on the PTS compared to what they are on live (due to the capping of defensive stats) so you expenditures as a casual player increase a lot.

I just did three missions on Imp Taris where the sold junk (grey items) was worth 30K and the drops another 10 K for a total of 40K (that's almost half what I'd get from conquest and I didn't complete conquest with those three missions). I've started running as many alts as I can through conquest running up to 7.0 to stockpile enough credits to keep a small guild running and have been keeping an eye on where credits come from. Every time, when I finish conquest, the cash from selling stuff obtained (world drops, reknown crates, and the conquest crate) far exceeds the 100K from completing conquest (those are all generated credits).